View Full Version : Help with multiple turn pools

Warrnan
2019-01-18, 06:21 PM
Thanks in advance for your help. I’m trying to precisely calculate some things.

I’m building a cleric of Torm5 who’s taken rebuke dragons, death delver 1 for rebuke and master of radiance 3 for turn undead.

So far here are the feats. Planning domain grants extend spell then persist from human. Extra turning for level 1. 2 flaws give me Divine metamagic and extra turning again.

So at level one my character has 11+cha bonus rebuke dragon attempts. At 3 he takes extra turning again for another +4 totaling 15+cha bonus

Later at level 6 He takes death delver to gain rebuke undead as well as another extra turning this adds plus 4 to both rebuke and turn giving 7 +cha bonus rebukes and 19+cha dragon rebuke.

So He takes MoR at 7 so he gains turn undead. And again at 9 takes extra turning again.

Final result is rebuke dragons 23+cha; Rebuke undead 11+cha; and 7+cha turn undead attempts.

I would interpret the extra turning feats to only apply to the channeling abilities you had when you took the feat. Is this correct or am I over complicating it?

Thanks for your time.

Warrnan
2019-01-19, 09:04 AM
Bump. I know this is probably a common question but it is very specific. Can anybody assist me? Thanks a million!

Falontani
2019-01-19, 10:41 AM
More than likely it affects all current and future pools. RAW anyways

Bronk
2019-01-19, 10:53 AM
More than likely it affects all current and future pools. RAW anyways

I agree! There's no reason to unnecessarily limit yourself... That's the DM's job. :)

Warrnan
2019-01-19, 11:31 AM
Haha. Thanks you two! Your interpretation makes sense too. You make a good point ;)

flappeercraft
2019-01-19, 12:16 PM
A level dip in contemplative and rhe feat Heretic of the Faith can get you any one domain, even one not in the list of your deity. This could get you another turning pool.

The feat Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) can also get you any other domain, which can get you another turning pool.

Feantar
2019-01-19, 12:44 PM
If you want to get turning pools (through the aforementioned examples) the following domains give you some:

Air, Blightbringer, Cold, Earth, Fire, Moon, Ooze, Plant, Scalykind, Slime, Spider, Thirst, Warforged, Water;

Also, I think the Extra turning should apply to both old and new channelling abilities. Think of it this way. If you took the Breadth of Knowledge (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Breadth_of_Knowledge_(Feat)) feat and had no ranks in Knowledge(Arcana). Then, next level, you got 1 ranks. Shouldn't you get the bonus to it, even thought the feat was acquired earlier?

Arael666
2019-01-19, 03:10 PM
A level dip in contemplative and rhe feat Heretic of the Faith can get you any one domain, even one not in the list of your deity. This could get you another turning pool.

The feat Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) can also get you any other domain, which can get you another turning pool.

If you want to get turning pools (through the aforementioned examples) the following domains give you some:

Air, Blightbringer, Cold, Earth, Fire, Moon, Ooze, Plant, Scalykind, Slime, Spider, Thirst, Warforged, Water;

Also, I think the Extra turning should apply to both old and new channelling abilities. Think of it this way. If you took the Breadth of Knowledge (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Breadth_of_Knowledge_(Feat)) feat and had no ranks in Knowledge(Arcana). Then, next level, you got 1 ranks. Shouldn't you get the bonus to it, even thought the feat was acquired earlier?

While both of you are right, it is quite likely that the OP wants to use his turning pools to fuel his divine metamagic feat, thus we should probably limit our sugestions to turning pools that specifically state that they can be used to fuel divine feats, like destroy undead, rebuke dragons, turn/rebuke and channel incarnum. Even if I'm wrong I do believe making this distinction is the right thing to do.

On another note, Warrnan, by RAW you're right, extra turning only increases turning pools that you already have, but I also agree with Bronk, limiting you is the DM's job, check with him and be frank.

Warrnan
2019-01-19, 03:34 PM
Cool. Thanks! Yes I’m using the turning for dmm persist so that’s why I’ve only chosen those pools. How do you get the channel incarnum ability?

Arael666
2019-01-19, 04:23 PM
Cool. Thanks! Yes I’m using the turning for dmm persist so that’s why I’ve only chosen those pools. How do you get the channel incarnum ability?

it's a cleric racial substitution lvl for azurim, a race from magic of incarnum

Feantar
2019-01-19, 04:55 PM
While both of you are right, it is quite likely that the OP wants to use his turning pools to fuel his divine metamagic feat, thus we should probably limit our sugestions to turning pools that specifically state that they can be used to fuel divine feats, like destroy undead, rebuke dragons, turn/rebuke and channel incarnum. Even if I'm wrong I do believe making this distinction is the right thing to do.

On another note, Warrnan, by RAW you're right, extra turning only increases turning pools that you already have, but I also agree with Bronk, limiting you is the DM's job, check with him and be frank.

Divine metamagic can be fuelled by rebuke dragons? I thought it was either undead(as it mentions turn undead) only or any turning pool (as in the next sentence just says turn/rebuke attempt - cheesy interpretation). Or are you talking about another divine feat?

Warrnan
2019-01-19, 05:51 PM
So rebuke dragons specifically says it can fuel divine feats. Other things like turning fire creatures wouldn’t work because dmm requires turn or rebuke undead.

Thanks Azrael666 for the info about Azurin.

Arael666
2019-01-19, 08:26 PM
Divine metamagic can be fuelled by rebuke dragons? I thought it was either undead(as it mentions turn undead) only or any turning pool (as in the next sentence just says turn/rebuke attempt - cheesy interpretation). Or are you talking about another divine feat?

By RAW its only turn/rebuke, but the ones I mentioned have specific clauses that allow them to be used to fuel divine feats, channel incarnum, for example says this "An azurin cleric can use this ability in place of turn or rebuke undead to qualify for any divine feat, and can spend daily uses of this feat to power divine feats as if they were daily uses of turn or rebuke undead"