PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Favorite Magic Bolstering Dips for Arcane Tricksters?

Wasp
2019-01-19, 03:10 AM
Hi everyone!

Just what it says on the tin: What are your favorite ways to improve the magic of the Arcane Trickster (while still relying on Sneak Attacks as main way of attack).

Also, when in the life of the AT would you dip?

Cheers

Wasp

McSkrag
2019-01-19, 03:21 AM
For an elf or half-elf I would dip at least 2 levels of Bladesinger (actually going to play this as my next character). I'd probably go for at least 6 levels for extra attack and 3rd level spells.

Lyracian
2019-01-19, 03:43 AM
I have only just started playing 5th but my plan is 2 levels of Wizard by tenth level.

When you take them is a bigger question and depends how quickly you want your ASI. I would take the first level at lvl 2 or 3 to maximum chance of finding more spells to fill your spell book.

Rogue 5,6 and 7 all have good abilities so I am taking Wiz 2 at either level 9 or 10 depending on if I want the second ASI or Wiz School Power more.

Nhorianscum
2019-01-19, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone!

Just what it says on the tin: What are your favorite ways to improve the magic of the Arcane Trickster (while still relying on Sneak Attacks as main way of attack).

Also, when in the life of the AT would you dip?

Cheers

Wasp

If we pick non-int spells with our AT spells known pretty much any fullcaster is useful here.

Unless otherwise stayed below our big splits are 9/11 (ambush+6th) and 11/9 (rtalent, ASI). We're not really improving casting otherwise. Unless stated otherwise progression is AT7/X 1/AT9-11/X to 20.

Wizard- best list + Schools of Warmage/Innovation(UA)/Theruge (UA)/Enchanter/Abjurer (I really am not fond of bladesinger purely based on the fluff of bladesong). Invention can get away with a 13/7 split.

Warlock- We're here for the standard lock-reasons, worth taking to 3 (early) and 7, 9, or 11 late. AT 3/Lock3/AT 9 or 11/Lock 7/Finish as you like. We can't really finnagle out thirsting blade here unfortunately.

Cleric: This is my personal preferance. Order/forge/grave is best imo but any domain works for us here. Cleric is just super front loaded and does wonders for everything we want. Rouge 1/Cleric 1 or 2/AT to 9 or 11/Cleric X

Sorcerer: Quicken is less good on BA hungery rouges but it's still strong, subtle is rediculous with expertise in social skills.

Druid: Pass without trace is worth taking ASAP if nobody else has it. Not something I've played with much.

Bard: Wispers keeps our DPR up and valor gives us a shield. Lore lets us play as a more social version of AT/Wiz. Skills for days. This is a pretty straight ride of AT to breakpoint and swap over.

As long as we're rolling to 11 or 9 AT we're winding up with better casting and higher DPR in tier 3 + if we chose our secondary sub and spells wisely. Early on only cleric, lock, and some sorc origins are front loaded enough to make dumping AT levels worthwhile.

With anything but cleric (mele), druid (ranged), hp boosting fullcaster subs, or wizard (headband of int with 13 int) we're going to have substandard bulk/saves.

Fighter 1, 2 or ranger 2 can be used as well and give some nice perks.

MilkmanDanimal
2019-01-19, 11:23 AM
Thematically, School of Illusion Wizard. You want to be a trickster? Focus on your illusion spells and have fun. The diversity of a Bard's spell list gives you a lot, as does a few levels of Fey or GOO Warlock. Problem with those is if you're an AT, you've presumably sunk plenty into your DEX and INT scores, and throwing CHA on the pile as well gets pretty MADdening.

Honestly, if your focus is still going to be sneak attack, any multiclassing slows that down your Rogue progression enough to where it kind of hurts. Rogue is one of those classes that seems to get something at every single level, so there's always something good down the pipe.

McSkrag
2019-01-19, 11:49 AM
I think the killer feature for AT's is the level 9 Magical Ambush. So you want to get to level 9 rogue as soon as you can. But dipping a couple levels of a different class early for versatility can make the journey more there more fun.

1-2 levels of any school of wizard has the best synergy. You get a spellbook to collect lots of different spells, ritual casting which is super useful, arcane recovery, and your school features.

The other class that would work, but is a bit more tricky, is Ranger. 2-5 levels gets you a fighting style, martial weapons, and some very good Ranger spells like Pass Without Trace, Spike Growth, and Hunters Mark. The tricky party is you'll need to focus on spells that don't require WIS.

Chronos
2019-01-19, 03:13 PM
You can also improve your casting with a feat. I enjoyed Ritual Caster on my arcane trickster, as it gave him some magic already starting at level 1 (he was a human with the bonus feat), and also gave him "find more spells to add to my book" as a motivation for adventuring, which fit with his personality.

Though obviously, don't bother with this if you're going to take wizard levels.

Galadhrim
2019-01-19, 09:02 PM
I have played two arcane tricksters with dips. One was AT9/wiz 5 (blade singer). The other was AT 13/fighter 2.

If you want to focus on sneak attack, I actually found fighter to make my magic much more usable in combat. Two levels will allow you to cast one spell with magical ambush then action surge and sneak attack. It works wonders with hold person, blindness/deafness, or even grease at lower levels. At higher levels you can drop hypnotic pattern and then focus your primary target. Very effective.

The wizard dip got higher level spells more quickly and had a ton of utility.

Blood of Gaea
2019-01-19, 09:12 PM
One level of Arcana Cleric or two levels of War/Bladedancer Wizard works pretty nicely for a dip.

Copper_Dragon
2019-01-19, 10:38 PM
I'm also a big fan of dumping Int to focus on Wis for a cleric dip. It's probably overkill, but high wisdom + perception expertise is pretty sweet, and the cleric dip is easier to justify if you start from that base.

Mjolnirbear
2019-01-20, 02:54 AM
Honestly I'm thinking Feylock.

What could be more trickster than, in the middle of a ball, Fey Presence everyone within earshot to 'forget I'm here for a moment' and Pickpocket the Duke?

Or how about at sixth level, bamfing away from a sudden attack into a more advantageous position?

Or Greater Invisibility? Faerie Fire? Blink? All spells you can get as a Feylock.

Take Booming Blade as one of your cantrips. At character level 5 it will have the damage step of extra attack and you'll have 2d6 sneak attack added. Go Tome for fun utility cantrips, rituals like comprehend languages, and choose Invocations for skills, reading, or disguise self for grifts or spywork.

You don't even need to let it get MAD. Just get spells that don't need saves. Greater Invisibility is one. So is Blink. Misty Step. Though if you do build charisma, you can also Bestow Curse during a sweet role-play scene and Faerie Fire everyone.