PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Eldritch Samurai, as the most attacks available?

Citadel97501
2019-01-19, 04:44 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if I was missing anything but I was messing around with a concept build for high level play and I think this might be the most number of attacks available? While I don't think this cracks out as much dps as some of the gross Sorcadin builds I think it could be damn close depending on accuracy.

Basic Premise: Fighter: 15+ (Samurai Subclass) for Rapid Strike and Action Surge, Sorcerer 3 (Any) for Meta Magic, Eldritch Blast either through Warlock 2 or just with the Feat. You could easily dump 2 fighter for Warlock 2 instead of the Feat but that does lose you the extra Action Surge.

Action 1: 3 attacks with a melee weapon, likely 4 with Rapid Strike, another option is Shove, followed by 3 melee attacks due to Rapid Strike.
Action Surge: 4 Eldritch Blasts or just a repeat of Action 1 but you lose the Rapid Strike.
Bonus Action: Quickened Eldritch Blast for 4 more shots.

Eldritch Samurai
Classes: 15-Samurai, 2 Warlock-Hexblade, 3 Sorcerer-Any
Race: Half Elf-Sun Elf Subrace, Zariel Tiefling, or Dragon Born
Equipment: Shield & Spear, Medium Armor (19 + Magical enhancements + Shield if needed)
Fighting Style: Dueling
Feats: Warcaster, Pole Arm Mastery, 1 other feat, & 3 attribute boosts likely to Charisma and the rest as needed.
Damage: 34.5, 1d10+5 x 8, (130 DPR without crits if everything hits, 86 DPR if I don't have an Action Surge.)
Resources: 1 action surge, and likely going to have 5 sorcery points available before a short rest due to being able to trade in the Warlock slots for more.

Damage Note: With Hexblade active on a prone target from an earlier turn this DPS skyrockets.
-219.555 DPR, if calculating everything hitting with the 19% chance to critically hit with advantage but I left out the likely magic weapon enhancements & or Rod of the Pact Keeper at level 20.

LudicSavant
2019-01-19, 09:58 AM
Hello all, I was just wondering if I was missing anything but I was messing around with a concept build for high level play and I think this might be the most number of attacks available? While I don't think this cracks out as much dps as some of the gross Sorcadin builds I think it could be damn close depending on accuracy.

Basic Premise: Fighter: 15+ (Samurai Subclass) for Rapid Strike and Action Surge, Sorcerer 3 (Any) for Meta Magic, Eldritch Blast either through Warlock 2 or just with the Feat. You could easily dump 2 fighter for Warlock 2 instead of the Feat but that does lose you the extra Action Surge.

Action 1: 3 attacks with a melee weapon, likely 4 with Rapid Strike, another option is Shove, followed by 3 melee attacks due to Rapid Strike.
Action Surge: 4 Eldritch Blasts or just a repeat of Action 1 but you lose the Rapid Strike.
Bonus Action: Quickened Eldritch Blast for 4 more shots.

Eldritch Samurai
Classes: 15-Samurai, 2 Warlock-Hexblade, 3 Sorcerer-Any
Race: Half Elf-Sun Elf Subrace, Zariel Tiefling, or Dragon Born
Equipment: Shield & Spear, Medium Armor (19 + Magical enhancements + Shield if needed)
Fighting Style: Dueling
Feats: Warcaster, Pole Arm Mastery, 1 other feat, & 3 attribute boosts likely to Charisma and the rest as needed.
Damage: 34.5, 1d10+5 x 8, (130 DPR without crits if everything hits, 86 DPR if I don't have an Action Surge.)
Resources: 1 action surge, and likely going to have 5 sorcery points available before a short rest due to being able to trade in the Warlock slots for more.

Damage Note: With Hexblade active on a prone target from an earlier turn this DPS skyrockets.
-219.555 DPR, if calculating everything hitting with the 19% chance to critically hit with advantage but I left out the likely magic weapon enhancements & or Rod of the Pact Keeper at level 20.

To calculate DPR, you need to account for variables like hit chance and the like, not just average your damage-on-normal-hit and multiply it by your number of attacks.

So how much is your real DPR? Well if you're trying to hit an AC 19 enemy (the average AC for the highest CRs according to the DMG guidelines), the DPR you deal with the "3 Attack+EB+quickened EB" combo on the first turn of combat would only be 77.8, counting hit chance, crit chance, everything.

Even if we assume you get Advantage on everything, it's only ~113.7 from 3 1d6+7 attacks with Advantage, 1 1d6+7 attack from Rapid Strike, 8 1d10+5 attacks from Eldritch Blast.

For comparison, a straight 20 samurai with Sharpshooter / Crossbow Expert / Elven Accuracy does 160.3 DPR vs AC 19, generating their own Advantage with Fighting Spirit + Action Surge. And getting 15 temp hp as a cherry on top. And you'd still have 3 feats left over, which could be stuff like Lucky or Alert or Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate or whatever.

And of course they get Strength Before Death (Samurai 18), which means that if they're in mortal danger they can interrupt the enemy's turn and do that whole thing again (since they got a second use of Action Surge per short rest at Fighter 17).

Hope that helps :smallsmile:

Blood of Gaea
2019-01-19, 07:50 PM
If your goal is more attacks per turn, you could take 3 levels of ranger for Horder Breaker or Dread Ambusher.

Ganymede
2019-01-20, 12:19 AM
If you really cared about having more attacks, you would consort the godly kamadan of Ubtao.