PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Changeling (fairy tale monster and background feat)

rferries
2019-01-19, 05:57 AM
CHANGELINGSMALL FEY ([Chaotic], [Evil], [Extraplanar])
Hit Dice: 6d6 (21 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 deflection, +3 Dex, +1 size), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-3
Attack: Dagger +7 melee (1d3-2)
Full Attack: Dagger +7 melee (1d3-2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Change shape, damage reduction 5/cold iron, geas, glibly gullible, fey traits, low-light vision, unearthly grace
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +11, Will +5
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 4, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +14, Concentration +9, Diplomacy +5, Disguise +12 (+14 acting)*, Intimidate +7, Sense Motive -3
Feats: Combat Casting, Improved Initiative, Persuasive, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: A fey plane or with mortal family
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: +0

The peasant couple hangs back as you draw near the cradle - they are clearly too frightened to approach, even in their own home.

You look inside and see an infant - by far the ugliest and most ancient-looking child you have ever seen. It meets your gaze, and you sense the creature knows you know its secret.[/I]

The Fair Folk are occasionally driven to spirit away mortal children to the Twilight Realm, and when they do they leave changelings behind. These malevolent fey are charged with imitating the kidnapped infants for as long as possible (to divert suspicion away from from the Fair Folk), but inevitably end up making their "adopted" parents miserable with their supernatural pranks and torments.

A changeling in its true form resembles a wizened and elderly child, with pointed ears and a malevolent glint in its bright eyes.

A changeling speaks Common, Sylvan, and the language of its assigned family (though it generally imitates a child too young to speak).

Combat
A changeling manipulates its assigned family into defending it. It uses its spell-like abilities overtly only as a last resort (as doing so means it has been exposed at last).

Change Shape (Su)
A changeling may assume the form of a humanoid infant of any race - typically Small size or smaller.

Geas (Su)
A changeling is bound to imitate a particular kidnapped mortal child for as long as possible. Although it will torment its host family mercilessly with the subtle use of its powers, it is forbidden from slaying them and will break its disguise only if absolutely necessary. If openly confronted and defeated, it returns to its home plane at the end of the encounter (whether alive or dead), breaking any curses it has inflicted and restoring the kidnapped child in its place.

Glibly Gullible (Su)
Like all fey, changelings are masterful manipulators but can themselves be tricked by cunning mortals. Against mortals, they benefit from a constant inherent glibness effect (caster level 11th) but automatically fail all Sense Motive checks. (These effects are not included in the statistics block.)

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)
At will-ghost sound (DC 13), invisibility, mage hand, open/close
3/day-bestow curse (DC 17), telekinesis (DC 18)
1/day-animate objects

Caster level 11th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Unearthly Grace (Su)
A changeling adds its Charisma modifier as a resistance bonus to all its saving throws and as a deflection bonus to its Armour Class. (The statistics block already reflects these bonuses).

Skills
*While using its change shape ability, a changeling gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.

New Feat
Changeling [Heritage]
Although you appear fully humanoid (and perhaps even truly believe yourself to be precisely that), you are in fact a fey changeling that replaced a mortal child and grew up in its place.

Prerequisites
Humanoid, must be selected at 1st level.

Benefits
Your type changes to fey and you gain low-light vision.

Bluff is always considered a class skill for you.

Special
This feat counts as a feat that lists Fey Heritage as a prerequisite (e.g. for the purpose of the Fey Skin feat).

Debihuman
2019-01-21, 03:59 PM
I'm not really a fan of creatures with no attacks, especially one with 6 HD.

It should still be able to use simple weapons other than when it is pretending to be a baby. It would be extremely nasty for a baby to be returned to a home with no family to care for it if f this thing kills its parents.

Just my 2 cents.

Debby

rferries
2019-01-21, 08:23 PM
I'm not really a fan of creatures with no attacks, especially one with 6 HD.

It should still be able to use simple weapons other than when it is pretending to be a baby. It would be extremely nasty for a baby to be returned to a home with no family to care for it if f this thing kills its parents.

Just my 2 cents.

Debby

Points well taken; I've given them a dagger and added a clause that they can't actually kill their host family.

Debihuman
2019-03-02, 02:14 AM
Points well taken; I've given them a dagger and added a clause that they can't actually kill their host family.

Like it better this way. Perhaps you should include the effects of glibly gullible in the stat block since they are a constant effect. It’s a royal pain for the DM to have add modifiers that should be there.

rferries
2019-03-06, 01:32 AM
Like it better this way. Perhaps you should include the effects of glibly gullible in the stat block since they are a constant effect. It’s a royal pain for the DM to have add modifiers that should be there.

Many thanks. Glibness is a bit tricky (+30 Bluff is easy enough, but it goes away in antimagic, prevents truth magic, etc) though I totally get your point.