PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Three Bobs

Tanarii
2019-01-19, 01:19 PM
Meet Bob Sr. He's a 55 year old veteran of the wars, but can still swing a sword with the best of them. Age does bring the advantage of wisdom. Bob is a Human Fighter 1 Soldier with Str 14 and Wis 16. Bob's pension isn't cutting it for his evenings down at the Pub, and he's still in good shape, so he signs up with an Adventuring Party going on an expedition down into the Cave of No Returns*. Unfortunately, Bob does not return.

Meet Bob Jr. He's a 40 year old active officer in the Duke's Regiment. Bob is a Str 16 / Int 14 Fighter 1 Soldier. When he hears his father hasn't returned, he takes a furlough and goes down into the Caves, recovers the body, and uses his lootz to pay for the funeral. Since a single day in the caves pays for more than a month of wages, he resigns and takes up the adventuring lifestyle. Bob Jr meets his end at level 3 in an unnamed Wyvern Roost.

Meet Bob the Third. He's 22 (-ish?), and like his father and grandfather before him works for the Duke. He's in the Dukes scouts. Ranger 1 Soldier. When his father disappears, Bob III goes looking and spends a year looking for his father in all the local adventuring haunts, but never finds him. He manages to survive the process long enough to go out into the wider adventuring world, and doesn't die until level 6 ... and his friends use the standard "Rez pouch" he keeps on him at all times since his first Hoard found to pay for the Raise Dead, splitting the extra 10% in it as usual. Bob III ends up dying 3 times, but is successfully raised each time, before retiring at the ripe old age of level 11.

Bob's player thinks he's funny. :smallamused: He was used to the death rates in my campaign, which usually means permanent in T1 because of the cost of Raise Dead spells. So when he rolled up a new character he intentionally started him old enough there could be a Bob II and Bob III from the same family if needed. I was a little disappointed when Bob III wasn't a Fighter though.

*I intentionally gave the typical starting level 1 adventure location a hammy name when I started the campaign a few years back. Only minor regrets. OTOH it's definitely lived up to its name since then.

JNAProductions
2019-01-19, 09:18 PM
Nice story. I like the player's thoughts on the matter.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-01-20, 09:32 PM
Meet Bob Sr. He's a 55 year old veteran of the wars, but can still swing a sword with the best of them. Age does bring the advantage of wisdom. Bob is a Human Fighter 1 Soldier with Str 14 and Wis 16. Bob's pension isn't cutting it for his evenings down at the Pub, and he's still in good shape, so he signs up with an Adventuring Party going on an expedition down into the Cave of No Returns*. Unfortunately, Bob does not return.

Meet Bob Jr. He's a 40 year old active officer in the Duke's Regiment. Bob is a Str 16 / Int 14 Fighter 1 Soldier. When he hears his father hasn't returned, he takes a furlough and goes down into the Caves, recovers the body, and uses his lootz to pay for the funeral. Since a single day in the caves pays for more than a month of wages, he resigns and takes up the adventuring lifestyle. Bob Jr meets his end at level 3 in an unnamed Wyvern Roost.

Meet Bob the Third. He's 22 (-ish?), and like his father and grandfather before him works for the Duke. He's in the Dukes scouts. Ranger 1 Soldier. When his father disappears, Bob III goes looking and spends a year looking for his father in all the local adventuring haunts, but never finds him. He manages to survive the process long enough to go out into the wider adventuring world, and doesn't die until level 6 ... and his friends use the standard "Rez pouch" he keeps on him at all times since his first Hoard found to pay for the Raise Dead, splitting the extra 10% in it as usual. Bob III ends up dying 3 times, but is successfully raised each time, before retiring at the ripe old age of level 11.

Bob's player thinks he's funny. :smallamused: He was used to the death rates in my campaign, which usually means permanent in T1 because of the cost of Raise Dead spells. So when he rolled up a new character he intentionally started him old enough there could be a Bob II and Bob III from the same family if needed. I was a little disappointed when Bob III wasn't a Fighter though.

*I intentionally gave the typical starting level 1 adventure location a hammy name when I started the campaign a few years back. Only minor regrets. OTOH it's definitely lived up to its name since then.

That's really not too bad. I like the way he had a character to play and a backup plan, or two ready.

denthor
2019-01-22, 04:13 PM
Found interesting.

He learned to play in your game. Each Bob lived longer then the last.

Tanarii
2019-01-23, 12:07 AM
Main point was he intentionally made Bob the Fighter, intending (if necessary) to make Bob II the Fighter. :smallamused:

Slipperychicken
2019-01-23, 12:46 AM
'Cave of No Returns' sounds like a customer-service pun

Particle_Man
2019-01-23, 01:08 AM
I think you should start The Great Pendragon Campaign for this player. He already has generational play down pat. :smallbiggrin: