PDA

View Full Version : Creepiest Moments in Videogaming?

Rinquist
2007-09-24, 03:10 PM
I've always like this topic. Videogames are a great artistic platform, and you know you're playing a damn good one when a piece of interactive literature actually manages to make your skin crawl. I've played several games that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

But the greatest had to be Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. The mission where the Therese (or was it Jeanette? I can never remember) sends you to "excorsize" the haunted hotel. Everything about moving through that dilapidated building just creeped me out. It starts with simple things, a lightbulb burning out and popping, small glimpses of movement here and there, and eventually escalates into objects like books flying at you, and glimpses of what took place during the actual murder. That part when you're going through the basement and the ghost of what's her face goes running by at the t intersection in a panic, I nearly jumped out of my chair.

Too bad that one part was the highlight of the game. It had so much potential.

What was your "holy crap I'm sleeping with the lights on tonight" moment?

Calamity
2007-09-24, 03:20 PM
Really, when it comes to video games, very few things have ever creeped me out. I would have to say for some reason he fact that the Dakaha from Prince of Persia: Warrior Within made the screen go all sepia when it got near creeped me out very much, it gives a really creeping feeling when you running, swinging and jumping for your life.

Although I have said that many things in video games do not creep me out, no-one probably believes since I'm creeped out by that.

Eariler Resident Evil games creeped me out when there was a boss fight coming up (you could tell) and every time you open the door there was a heartbeat, but sometimes the boss would be behind it, sometimes it wouldn't. Yeah, suspense is creepy!

PlatinumJester
2007-09-24, 03:21 PM
The dogs jumping through the windows in Resident Evil Remake. Me and my friend were playing it with the lights off in the middle of a storm and the dogs jumped through just as thunder started. We were hiding under the table at the time and when it jumped through we bashed our head out of panic.

Hermit
2007-09-24, 03:31 PM
The old Resident Evil games had some really good moments which made me jump. Doom 3 had a couple too. I seem to remember one occasion where a head spider thing crawled out from behind a PC as you used it, that freaked me out a bit.

FEAR has some genuinely creepy moments. The bizzare insane asylum hallucination from the end of Extraction Point was good, and the moments when your team members died were nasty too.

Mention has to go to the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3 as well, as its the first time I remember feeling genuinely terrified in a computer game (I made the mistake of entering it at night with headphones on). That level still freaks me out to this day. Not neccesarily the best part of Thief 3 (The Museum is awesome), but a great section and actually creepy.

It's not quite the same, but STALKER also had some creepy moments, usually unscripted ones. Getting jumped by mutant animals in the dark was always quite creepy (Often reminded me of the Resident Evil opening where they get attacked in the dark by dogs).

PlatinumJester
2007-09-24, 03:47 PM
The old Resident Evil games had some really good moments which made me jump. Doom 3 had a couple too. I seem to remember one occasion where a head spider thing crawled out from behind a PC as you used it, that freaked me out a bit.

FEAR has some genuinely creepy moments. The bizzare insane asylum hallucination from the end of Extraction Point was good, and the moments when your team members died were nasty too.

Mention has to go to the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3 as well, as its the first time I remember feeling genuinely terrified in a computer game (I made the mistake of entering it at night with headphones on). That level still freaks me out to this day. Not neccesarily the best part of Thief 3 (The Museum is awesome), but a great section and actually creepy.

It's not quite the same, but STALKER also had some creepy moments, usually unscripted ones. Getting jumped by mutant animals in the dark was always quite creepy (Often reminded me of the Resident Evil opening where they get attacked in the dark by dogs).

I always thought the Resi opening was funny.
1 - it had funny voice acting
2 - someone got mauled to death by zombie dogs

http://vgp.legendaryfrog.com/movies_refe_w.php

Winterwind
2007-09-24, 03:52 PM
I can recall only one occassion where a computer game genuinely scared me, and that was in Thief 1.
The moment when Valentine drops his disguise and is revealed to be the Trickster, Garret is nailed to the wall by his servant and his eye gets torn outwas scary on its own, but that wouldn't have been so bad, even though by this point I was so deeply immersed into the story that it still pretty much shocked me.

However, in the mission that follows that cutscene, where one has to escape from his villa, there is at one point a room. One doesn't actually have to enter it, but exploring the level I did so.
The room consists of nothing but a white floor and no walls. Even the wall with the opening through which one enters is completely black, thus making it seem as if the floor was levitating in complete void (and I think it actually does).
The very instant one enters the room the music and all other sound effects are abruptly cut-off. Complete silence. The silence is the worst part of it. It is so grating on the nerves, in the combination with this spooky room, that I actually fled from this room in panic. It's pretty much indescribable.

And, which is even more weird - when I played that mission another time, I wanted to see that room once again, mostly because I was so surprised by my reaction back then.
So I entered the room... and next thing I know, I suddenly lost control, saw the floor gliding past me, and died suddenly, as if something had grabbed me and dragged me into the abyss.
I have not the slightest idea what happened there. I have never read anywhere about there being such things in Thief 1, so I assume I have accidentally stepped off the platform... only that I didn't really move much, and the boundary of the floor was still quite a bit away. Maybe just some strange bug...
Anyway, due to this event, this strange room managed to scare me deeply not just once, but twice. :smalleek:

This wasn't the only occasion such a thing happened to me in that game, by the way - there was one time when I was swimming in some lake (I think in the mission when one comes to the Cathedral for the first time), and suddenly I was moving at a great speed through the water (again, just as if something was dragging me away) and then died abruptly. There was nothing whatsoever around which could have killed me.
Does somebody, per chance, know whether there are some strange tentacle monsters lurking for unaware thieves in dark places in Thief 1? :smallconfused:

Dihan
2007-09-24, 03:55 PM
I must give that award to the back-humping ReDeads of Ocarina of Time fame. Poor Young Link...

Krytha
2007-09-24, 04:00 PM
The first time I watched a friend play Diablo when he was walking around the butcher area. I couldn't play diablo for YEARS after that because I was pretty freaked out.

However, THE creepiest experience was when I was playing AvP. The worst thing is when you find facehugger eggs and you know theyre around and you can hear something and your motion sensor is giving you flashes and all you can do is spin around and find more flashes behind you and your head is screaming FACEHUGGERS OH MY GOD KILL THEM and then one leaps out of nowhere and thats all you can see and you didnt manage to kill it because you were too busy freaking out.

I hate facehuggers.

Winterwind
2007-09-24, 04:01 PM
I must give that award to the back-humping ReDeads of Ocarina of Time fame. Poor Young Link...You might prefer staying far away from this (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=74) VGCats comic, then. :smallwink:

I hate facehuggers.And you from this (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=108) one.

2007-09-24, 04:02 PM
Um, the entirety of Silent Hill 2, particularly the part where you have to walk down that looooong road to the church or whatever. The monsters are all around you, but you can't see any of them and as long as you keep moving you'll be okay but... that whole game just grated on my nerves. I could never play for more than an hour or so before I just couldn't take it anymore and had to turn it off.

Max Payne, the dream sequence (second one I think) where you're following the trail of blood out into a void and you hear that long, loud scream from the dead baby. I got chills all over me.

In Fatal Frame you find a tape that has a recording of one of the previous investigators talking on it. As the person speaks about the weird stuff they're experiencing, you hear a womans voice say, very quietly in the background, "It strangles you." Also in that game, there's a part where your're walking down a hallways and suddenly a long pair of arms appear from around the corner, followed by a man. He's screaming something like, "I've failed! I've failed!" over and over. Freaky limbs have always really bothered me for some reason.

While not 'jump' scary, the priests in the castle in Resident Evil 4 made me uncomfortable with their continuous whispering. Also the first time I ever bumped into a Regenerator. Those things are freaky.

The Many from System Shock 2. Need I say more?

Ravenholme from Half-Life 2 was pretty damn unnerving. The first time I ever bumped into a Fast Zombie (you know, the skinny ones that scream and howl while they chase you, and then grunt and gasp while they disembowl you) I physcially screamed out loud.

I like being scared when I play videogames and always make a concious effort to lower my jaded fear senses when playing scary games.

Winterwind
2007-09-24, 04:15 PM
Just remembered, there was also Sanitarium.

The whole game is positively scary, but I think what really got to me were those two levels where one plays as Sarah.

The first one, because the situation is so bizarre - a little girl on an island where mutilated corpses drift on the water, in a circus, of all things, filled, pretty much, with nothing but mutants and freaks... and not the good kind. And somewhere is lurking an escaped monstrosity which used to be human...

And the second, in the villa, because it was all so eerie, with the spirits of Max's and Sarah's family going around, bleeding walls and all those other effects, even though one knew that there was no malevolance in these ghosts.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-24, 04:51 PM
When you're seven years old, and watch your father play Doom over his shoulder, it's pretty freaky.

When you're seven years old, you walk into the room, and the Doom gameplay demo is playing because your father left it idle on the menu screen, and it looks like the PC is playing itself, you're liable to run screaming.

In a different manner of creepy, any time Otacon goes into his backstory in MGS2. Way too much damn information, dude.

Om
2007-09-24, 05:09 PM
Shocks are easy to come by in gaming but for genuinely unnerving atmospheres I can only really think of two - the mansion from Vampire: Bloodlines, and all of the 7th Guest. Ravenholm from HL2 is also pretty spooky but not in the same "something just isn't right here..." way.

Hermit
2007-09-24, 05:36 PM
I always thought the Resi opening was funny.
1 - it had funny voice acting
2 - someone got mauled to death by zombie dogs

Oh I'm not saying the intro itself was anything other than hilarious (In fact, most of Resi 1's voice acting is more humourous than the writers probably intended), but getting set upon by a pack of blind dogs in STALKER brings it to mind for some reason.

Another one that occured to me was the flashback sequences in Max Payne. The rather freaky stretching corridors, the bizzare twisted form of what used to be your house, the really creepy echoes of your wife and child. In fact, I think it would have been even more creepy if it hadn't been ruined by those pointless "follow the bloodstained invisible path" jumping puzzles.

Triaxx
2007-09-24, 05:44 PM
Creepiest moment? Umm... at best the rattling of the doors in RE4.

A moment that caused my heart to race? Opening the door and finding one of the Regenerators on the other side. Startling more than creepy though. The batteries dying on me in the midst of a fight is pretty bad though.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-24, 05:49 PM
System Shock 2. You've been communicating with one survivor, Dr. Polito, who's been driving you on, guiding you through the game. She says, 'I'm in the next room. Come in here.' You walk into the room. In a chair behind a desk... is the corpse of Dr. Polito. The walls suddenly fall away, and you are alone with SHODAN...

Creepy as hell.

Om
2007-09-24, 05:51 PM
Let's not forget the spoiler tags :smallannoyed:

Blayze
2007-09-24, 06:33 PM
The only game that I have ever played that has ever managed to unnerve me was System Shock 2. And I'm not talking about the Cyborg Midwives ("Babies need meat!"), the random groans and pleading from the Hybrids, ("Forgive me... forgive meee!" and "Please... Kill meee!" are the only ones I remember at this moment in time) the massive spiders that stalked some of the later corridors, the scattered audiologs or the ghostly crew members (The one who commits suicide was weird to see, as he looks just like your character. Made me wonder...)

No, I'm talking about the very first ghost in the game, scant minutes after you begin playing the game. That was the only one that unnerved me, and all it did was send a chill down my spine, to borrow an extremely overused phrase.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-24, 06:44 PM
Let's not forget the spoiler tags :smallannoyed:

Aw hell. Fixed.

No, I'm talking about the very first ghost in the game, scant minutes after you begin playing the game. That was the only one that unnerved me, and all it did was send a chill down my spine, to borrow an extremely overused phrase.

And RIGHT AFTER THAT, you encounter your first enemy- two, actually, so once you kill the first and say 'Ohmygodthatwasscary' you get klonked on the head by the second.

Rogue 7
2007-09-24, 07:05 PM
I was incredibly freaked out when I was 11 or so by Hyrule Castle Town just after becoming Adult Link in OOT. Seeing this thriving marketplace turn into a place full of redead, coupled with then seeing Ganon's Castle, turned me off that game for a solid month.

SurlySeraph
2007-09-24, 07:43 PM
Ravensholm in Half-Life 2 was pretty hard on me, especially because it was only the 2nd PC shooter I'd played and I wasn't really used to playing them yet. The first fast zombie scared the hell out of me. You go through a loading zone, which usually means "enemies ahead." Then you find this big cache of ammo. In case you haven't played it, there is virtually no ammo in Ravensholm. At that point I was slightly freaked out, knowing something bad was coming. So then you go through this doorway to outside - and it opens right into a wide open area, with no cover and the nearest buildings pretty far away. Did I mention I'm a little agoraphobic? Anyway, you walk through the doorway, and suddenly these weird whooping sounds start up. You see a bunch of nearly skeletal, dark figures hopping between a bunch of roofs in the distance with insane agility. I thought "Okay, this next part will be tough, but I can do this." Then the last of the fast zombies jumps down about 30 feet off a roof to the square you're in, emits this blood-curdling insane snarl, and charges straight at you. I had the SMG equipped, and I started shooting at it, holding the mouse button down. But, since the fast zombie was fairly far away (even though it was closing really fast), and the SMG is inaccurate, and (I admit it) my mouse hand was trembling, it just kept coming. My clip of ammo ran out when the zombie was like 5 feet away from me - and it died at my feet, because the last couple of bullets finished it. Bear in mind that the entire charging zombie thing took less than 5 seconds. Oh, and of course I was playing late at night with the volume cranked up. I had to actually pause the game and walk around my room for a while to get over that.

*curls up in fetal position, whimpers*

That level made Doom 3 look like Scooby-Doo.

expirement10K14
2007-09-24, 08:56 PM
The little girl in fear, at midnight, with surround sound, in the dark. I recommend no one tries it. Can you say creepy, creepy, creepy, little girl...

Mr._Blinky
2007-09-24, 09:07 PM
Three from BioShock (the first two aren't really spoiling anything, but the third might):
1. In the Dentists Office in the medical pavilion, you find a room that is essentially a big freezer. Occasionally freezer mist will blow in your face, obscuring your vision. I'm playing with a friend, and he spots a tonic sitting on a counter a short way away, so I go over to pick it up. I grab it, and mist blows around my head, obscuring my vision. This is a little unnerving, so I turn around, thinking to head straight for the door and check if anything is coming. I turn around, and there's a psycho dentist, complete with power drill, less than a foot away. Perhaps the first time either my friend or I genuinely screamed at a video game. The guy was weak and went down in one panicked shotgun blast, but just the surprise of him being there was scary as hell.

2. I was in Fort Frolic, and hear a Splicer chanting to itself a little ways off. I'm tired of getting ambushed, so thinking to fight it on my own terms, and start hunting it by sound. I'm tiptoeing around everywhere looking for it, getting more and more unnerved as the voice gets closer, but I still don't see it. I walk into the room I'm sure it's in, and don't see it. All of a sudden, I just hear a scream of "Get the **** away from me!" and a Spider Splicer drops on my head and starts tearing into me.

3. Just the whole part when you've pissed off the musician guy, and he starts sending waves of Splicers at you. WITH BALLET PLAYING IN THE BACKROUND.

And yes, Ravenholm from HL2.

PhallicWarrior
2007-09-24, 09:09 PM
I hear she's gonna be even worse in Project: O.R.I.G.I.N.

Take that for what you will.

Muz
2007-09-24, 10:01 PM
You already took two of mine. Definitely the freaking hotel in Bloodlines (and a little later on when the fleshcrafted running head things--aka to me: "hooseyf--ks"--showed up), and Ravenholm, especially when the fast zombies show up and are coming up the rain gutter that's rattling back and forth. :smallsmile:

Of course, I still haven't been able to finish Call of Cthuhlu.

Green Bean
2007-09-24, 10:09 PM
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Redeads. Need I explain further? :smalleek:

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-24, 10:35 PM
Most of the Call of Cthulhu game. Which really if it wasn't like that it would be very disapointing.

One of the few games that's given me (mild) nightmares. Well okay that's not entirely true but I have nightmares about things that are by no rights scary.

Elidyr
2007-09-25, 12:30 AM
I would say Vampire Bloodlines managed that without resorting to cheesy shock headcrabs/little girls jumping in your face type of special effects.

Destro_Yersul
2007-09-25, 02:11 AM
Bioshock. So much creepy...

The medical pavilion in general is creepy, especially the surgery wing. The Big Daddies are creepy, the Little Sisters are creepy... But probably the creepiest bit is in Fort Frolic.

You go into a shop, in which the entrance hall is lined with Paper Mache dead people. That's not the creepy part, those things are all over the level. The creepy part is that after you use the weapon upgrade machine in the basement none of them are there anymore...

That and "The Wild Bunny" Audio diary are.. just... *shivers*

v: Gods NO!

ElfLad
2007-09-25, 02:45 AM
kooloo limpah

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-25, 04:27 AM
This entire thread is a giant spoiler, so I wont bother with the tags.

Thief 3:
- the Shalebridge Cradle
- that pirate ship with the zombies on it
- that sea captain's villa on the seaside with the widow, with the thunderstorm going outside
- the voice of that Eye artifact that whispers in your head
- the revelation who the enemy is
- the ending of the game
- the freaky religions, i.e. Hammers and Pagans
- much of the rest of that game. The designers really did a fantastic job with creating this strange, surreal world where it is apparently eternal night (ok, so a master thief would be well advised to only go out at night).
I think its mostly the music and sounds in that game that really bring the creepyness. When you get killed by the Hag, who has been promising all kinds of pain to you all the time, the sound effects are pretty damn gut-wrenching. The Hag is also one of the creepiest enemies ever in any videogame, especially I thought after you find out what she really is and how she became what she is.

Thief 2 also had a bunch of creepy moments. Those steampunk robots are just disturbing.

Pronounceable
2007-09-25, 06:24 AM
Shalebridge Cradle is probably the among the worst (or best, depending on POW) locations in the history of gaming. An orphanage turned asylum, then got haunted and burned. How much worse can it be?
Even knowing there's only 9 enemies that can hurt you doesn't help. Probably I'll never play that level again.

Then that damned haunted hotel from Bloodlines. I only played it once, on all other playthrus I just noclipped right at entrance, took the diary (which is directly above with noclipping) and left.

Almost entirety of Sanitarium. By far the worst part was demo before the level which you can morph between comic hero, Aztec god and little girl. I lost sleep over that for several years.

All of these have been mentioned and are worth repeating. Creepy, creepy stuff.

Archonic Energy
2007-09-25, 06:49 AM
Three from BioShock (the first two aren't really spoiling anything, but the third might):
1. In the Dentists Office in the medical pavilion, you find a room that is essentially a big freezer. Occasionally freezer mist will blow in your face, obscuring your vision. I'm playing with a friend, and he spots a tonic sitting on a counter a short way away, so I go over to pick it up. I grab it, and mist blows around my head, obscuring my vision. This is a little unnerving, so I turn around, thinking to head straight for the door and check if anything is coming. I turn around, and there's a psycho dentist, complete with power drill, less than a foot away. Perhaps the first time either my friend or I genuinely screamed at a video game. The guy was weak and went down in one panicked shotgun blast, but just the surprise of him being there was scary as hell.
edited but stilled spoilered
And yes, Ravenholm from HL2.

Yes & Yes...

there's something creepy about the whole setting of Bioshock IMHO. it's not scary but certainly creepy...

i'm glad i was walking through armed to the teeth & spliced up to the gills!

IT'S THE WALL!

Winterwind
2007-09-25, 07:05 AM
Almost entirety of Sanitarium. By far the worst part was demo before the level which you can morph between comic hero, Aztec god and little girl. I lost sleep over that for several years.True, that cutscene is wicked indeed.:smalleek:

Penguinizer
2007-09-25, 07:24 AM

I second the lab's from STALKER. Oh what did I deserve to have do those without night vision T.T

Archonic Energy
2007-09-25, 07:43 AM
I second the lab's from STALKER. Oh what did I deserve to have do those without night vision T.T

i'm liking STALKER.
but since i'm quite early in the game notheing creepy has happened... tho those "pig" things can certainly take some shells!

JabberwockySupafly
2007-09-25, 08:04 AM
I'm extremely disappointed that noone has made mention of the Alone In The Dark series, especially The New Nightmare.

Specifically the part in The New Nightmare where you enter the projector room for the first time and to watch the film you have to kill the lights, so you shut off the lights and walk up to the projector, but, before you turn it on, lightning flashes outside and you see humanoid monsters surrounding you, only to find out when the projector starts up, there's nothing there. Scared the bejesus out of me. Really hard to explain if you haven't played it, and if you haven't, go do so!

Most of the other good moments & games have been mentioned. FEAR, Bioshock, System Shock 2, Vampire, Silent Hill, RE.

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-25, 08:14 AM
I suppose Silent Hill is the game that epitomizes Creepyness. You walk through these dank, dirty places strewn with trash and populated with monsters and strange people, and *bam* from time to time the world transforms into something even more disgusting and creepy. That Sony decided that the developers could not actually say the monsters are devils and demons from hell (or anything else satanic) actually makes it more effective, because you don't get the "Oh well, they're demons, what else would you expect" reaction, which made e.g. Doom 3 such a borefest.

Blayze
2007-09-25, 08:22 AM
Aw hell. Fixed.

And RIGHT AFTER THAT, you encounter your first enemy- two, actually, so once you kill the first and say 'Ohmygodthatwasscary' you get klonked on the head by the second.

Actually, now that I think about it, what made that ghost more effective than the others in the game was that you generally hear him before you see him. By the time you can see him and the door he's banging on, pleading to be let in, the voice file has started playing.

In other words, for a moment, you think there's an NPC there. Then you pick up on the slight distortion of his voice, then you see the ghost. By the time you get through the door, you start hearing some... other voices. You think "Oh, these are ghosts, too."

Then you get smacked in the back of the head with a spanner. Or, if you're unlucky enough, it's the one with the shotgun.

Terumitsu
2007-09-25, 08:34 AM
I suppose Silent Hill is the game that epitomizes Creepyness. You walk through these dank, dirty places strewn with trash and populated with monsters and strange people, and *bam* from time to time the world transforms into something even more disgusting and creepy. That Sony decided that the developers could not actually say the monsters are devils and demons from hell (or anything else satanic) actually makes it more effective, because you don't get the "Oh well, they're demons, what else would you expect" reaction, which made e.g. Doom 3 such a borefest.

I love how Silent Hill does that. Acutaly, the Best part is when In the games they state that some people can't see the monsters... and it is implied that you are actualy killing people due to the white dalia flower's halocenogenic power combined with the power of the amplifyed evil entity in the town at the time... And the radio crackel! That was perfect. You hear it and you spin around hoping to god that you spot the thing before it jumps out of the mist and attacks you. More often than not, I think the radio scared me more than the monster due to the anticipation.

Also... If you ever take a deep look into what is going on in the game and it's personal mythology... that is scary...

Ganon11
2007-09-25, 08:38 AM
kooloo limpah

O_O Tingle is pretty weird.

Most of the final area in RE4 creeps me out - especially that strange bag in a dumpster somewhere. You open the door and see this blood-soaked sack lying there - then it starts to jump around! So of course I shot the hell out of that thing, and it merely died and lay still again. Friggin' A.

Oh, and the first time you fight Regenerators. I had no clue they were Invincible, so I'm pumping shotgun shell after shotgun shell into this thing, screaming "WHY WON'T IT DIE!?!?"

Freelance Henchman
2007-09-25, 08:54 AM
Acutaly, the Best part is when In the games they state that some people can't see the monsters... and it is implied that you are actualy killing people due to the white dalia flower's halocenogenic power combined with the power of the amplifyed evil entity in the town at the time

Aaahh, yes, I remember one particular sentence said in SH3: "What!? They look like monsters to you? (laughs)". I loved that sense of paranoia this evoked when I reconsidered if I/the protagonist had been senselessly murdering people with a lead pipe, not weird monsters! OTOH that guy was an untrustworthy creep as well, so who knows :smallwink:

Terumitsu
2007-09-25, 08:55 AM
Ah yes... The Regenies! The worst about them is the fact that you need to snipe the plaga out of em... while listening to that awful sound... and that gait also.. It's like they are in pain the entire time.... I could deal with just sniping out the lil' buggers in them but the sound and the way it moves is just... god no..

Speaking of which.
In SH2:
Pyramid head... Raping a moster. While you hide in the room....

And Redeads... how could I forget you? My first introduction to zomies and thus my urge to kill them all in any survival horror game... I cannot leave one undead... un-dead if you excuse the pun. Yeah I kill everything in the games even if it puts me in a bind later... But that is what a headshot is for so It's all good.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-25, 11:12 AM
the AvP games, Marine Campaign. That damn motion sensor...

:edit:

System Shock 2. You've been communicating with one survivor, Dr. Polito, who's been driving you on, guiding you through the game. She says, 'I'm in the next room. Come in here.' You walk into the room. In a chair behind a desk... is the corpse of Dr. Polito. The walls suddenly fall away, and you are alone with SHODAN...

Creepy as hell.
Spoilerrific! (http://media.putfile.com/SHODAN-61)

Winterwind
2007-09-25, 11:39 AM
Oh, so we're linking to the things that scared us now? But shouldn't these better rest in peace, buried, and forgotten?

Oh well... so be it.
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34g2uiqD4VU&mode=related&search=)'s that Thief 1 cutscene I mentioned before (and I got the name of the villain wrong... I repent! Repent!)
Although, all alone, without what happened before and after, it's much less scary than when you're immersed into that story... and besides, the really scary thing is the level that follows that video anyway.

Destro_Yersul
2007-09-26, 01:51 AM
There's one that isn't bad in Hitman: Contracts. The hotel level? The closed off wing and room have ghosts in them. There's one you can only see in the mirror, and in that wing, and that wing only, it's raining outside.

BlindFreak
2007-09-26, 07:11 AM
Hmmm...
For creepiest, I'm going to have to go with a MediEvil 'enemy'. In the level The Sleeping Village, there are a bunch of villagers that you aren't allowed to kill. One type of villager is a little girl in a red dress and with an axe. Her giggles, fast movement speed and the fact that you're forced to run from them made them the creepiest thing I have faced in any game.

Jumpiest would have to be the first point in Doom 3 where I found out you can't use the flashlight AND shoot at the same time...Targeting by muzzle flare made that game extra jumpy.

Amalith
2007-09-27, 10:41 PM
Ravensholm in Half-Life 2... where you first encounter the fast zombies

I agree completely. I almost jumped out of my chair when that happened. but I died on my first encounter! stupid pistol equipped, I don't even know why I had it out

Has noone mentioned FEAR yet? there are a lot of places that creep me out, mostly the ghosts, although the little girl is also scary at times. ok, a lot of times.

Just so you know I play these games at midnight with the lights out on my HD tv. it can get really creepy. And I am usually really immersive in the games I play.

ElfLad
2007-09-28, 01:13 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/AngryBalrog/hotti-normalb.gif

Setra
2007-09-28, 01:32 AM
In Half Life.

When you see something in the water, but you're not sure what it is. Then you walk into the cage, suddenly it drops into the water!

You look around, not seeing anything, then you try to exit the cage, then... BAM! Icthyosaur charging straight at you!

Take this how you will, but I was so scared I turned on noclip and backpedaled so hard I literally could not find the stage again.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-09-28, 02:04 AM
Hands down, the creepiest game I ever saw was Barney's Adventure...*shudder*

j/k...

Silent Hill 2 was pretty freaky...especially played late at night in a rural area with all the lights off...the sounds of night outside, animals scratching, dogs barking, and the constant buzz of the radio...enough to unnerve anyone.

AvP...playing as a marine on the 3rd level mianly, trying to get out of the compound to the evac ship on top. Something about the scratching sounds of the aliens as you wander around guided only by the constant beeping...and of course, the first time you ever hear a face hugger...typically as it suddenly jumps on you. First time that happened I damn enar had to change my pants. That one level in particular always made us very twitchy.

Doom 3. While mainly just real twitchy and didn't scare you as much once you started to concentrate on the killing that needed to be done...if you slowed down to really take in the scenery, listen to all the audio...it got really creepy. One part in particular, bloody footprints started appearing followed by the voice of a girl I couldn't see saying "hey...over here"

Demented
2007-09-28, 02:08 AM
When you see something in the water, but you're not sure what it is. Then you walk into the cage, suddenly it drops into the water!

I killed the **** out of that thing before my toes ever touched water. Spamming bullet fire any time it showed its head in the water... I spent 10 minutes before I realized the body had floated to a space where I couldn't immediately see it. (Now them's fishin'!) Other ichys met similar fates.

Never liked swimming in games since then, until I played the (very short) stress test of WoW so many years later... Ironically, fighting murlocs. Who knew a game could provide psychotherapy?

I've never liked the Hydroponics level of System Shock 2 either.
:smalleek:

Swordguy
2007-09-28, 02:10 AM
I have to second System Shock 2, Bioshock, and especially Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. The chase scene in CoC, in particular, is absolutely incredible.

I can also not figure out how this thread can POSSIBLY have gone this long without a mention of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. It doesn't do scary things to your character. It does scary things to the PLAYER. Like tilt the screen 90 degrees over the course of about 20 minutes. You suddenly realize that you're playing with your head turned sideways, with no idea of how it got there. Or fake "hard disk read errors" when you try to save. Fake "blue screens of death" during tough fights or chase sequences. "Controller disconected" messages when you walk into a room full of zombies. It's awesome.

The wiki article. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Darkness:_Sanity%27s_Requiem)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-09-28, 04:25 AM
Doom 3. While mainly just real twitchy and didn't scare you as much once you started to concentrate on the killing that needed to be done...if you slowed down to really take in the scenery, listen to all the audio...it got really creepy. One part in particular, bloody footprints started appearing followed by the voice of a girl I couldn't see saying "hey...over here"

The friendly female voices in Doom 3 are made creepier by how out of place they are among the demonic roars and disused satanic ritual sites.

The creepiest thing a game can do though is confuse you over whether a certain sound was made by the game or not.

For me the scariest part of Doom 3 was where the Pink demon first appears.

You're hiding in a tiny room with a door and a window. The demon rams the window a few times then starts bashing at a door before giving up...
...and smashing through the window.

I actually jumped at that part.

Hoggy
2007-09-28, 08:38 AM
I have to second System Shock 2, Bioshock, and especially Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. The chase scene in CoC, in particular, is absolutely incredible.

I can also not figure out how this thread can POSSIBLY have gone this long without a mention of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. It doesn't do scary things to your character. It does scary things to the PLAYER. Like tilt the screen 90 degrees over the course of about 20 minutes. You suddenly realize that you're playing with your head turned sideways, with no idea of how it got there. Or fake "hard disk read errors" when you try to save. Fake "blue screens of death" during tough fights or chase sequences. "Controller disconected" messages when you walk into a room full of zombies. It's awesome.

The wiki article. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Darkness:_Sanity%27s_Requiem)

How did I forget that one? Eternal Darkness wins the thread.

Azuroth
2007-09-28, 10:10 AM
Noobs...all of you :smallwink:

Play Phantasmagoria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasmagoria_%28computer_game%29)
"Phantasmagoria was a notable departure for designer Roberta Williams, best known for her family games like the King's Quest series. Featuring graphic gore, violence and a rape scene, the game stirred controversy over age restrictions and target audiences in the maturing game industry. It was banned in Australia while CompUSA and other major retailers refused to carry it."
While the scene where the fat wife is force fed animal entrails through a funnel until she suffocates was creepy, the scene where Zoltan snapped his wife's neck in the head spinning illusion machine was SO MUCH WORSE. I literally pulled my computer plug from the wall, and then realized I would have to watch it again.... In hindsight, playing this game at 14, not a great idea.
And, the hotel in Bloodlines would probably have been creepy, but I was playing as a Malkavian, and thought it was all in my characters head anyway :)

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-09-28, 11:57 AM
Anyone ever play Clive Barker's Alice? Now that game was twisted...

PlatinumJester
2007-09-28, 12:35 PM
Crimson Heads from Resi remake.

You're idly walking along and you run over the zombie corpse you killed ages ago and then it gets up. WTF? Even worse it's faster than before.

The Flood from Halo also freaked me out.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-09-28, 01:22 PM
Oh...even though the game was really funny, there was one creepy thing in Duke Nukem 3d...those stripers that had been captured by the aliens...they were creepy...when you got near them you just heard them calling in a sickly pathetic voice "Kill me".

Vondre
2007-09-28, 01:28 PM
I'm very easily creeped out. Thus, I have played about ten minutes of Resident Evil 1, and no other really scary games. But there was one that, though most would (and do) consider it boring, creeped me out several times: Indigo Prophecy.

I think the worst part for me was

when Lucas wakes up after murdering the guy the night before; his sheets are covered in blood, his shirt is in a bloody heap on the floor, and he's just had a creepy premonition of a cop knocking on his door.

So of course you walk into the bathroom to clean up, and you open the mirrored medicine cabinet to grab some gauze for your cuts, and you close the cabinetSWEETJESUS THE GUY YOU KILLED IS IN THE REFLECTION!!

And of course Lucas screams and turns around and nothing is there.

I was playing in the dark when that happened, late at night. I would probably be in an asylum if I had been playing anything scarier.

Grey Paladin
2007-09-28, 02:00 PM
Clock Tower: The First Fear :smalleek:

Despite it being 2D and created with inferior technology, it is still one of the scariest games ever.

Ganon11
2007-09-28, 02:21 PM
Crimson Heads from Resi remake.

You're idly walking along and you run over the zombie corpse you killed ages ago and then it gets up. WTF? Even worse it's faster than before.

I hated that! First time I came across one, I was thinking, "Didn't I kill you already? Oh well, another easy zombie to take out."

Then it runs full tilt at me. I shrieked and blasted in with a shotgun. Of course, I thought that would be enough to kill the bugger. NOPE. IT GETS BACK UP AND DESTROYS ME.

Clock Tower: The First Fear :smalleek:

Despite it being 2D and created with inferior technology, it is still one of the scariest games ever.

Some of the scariest games I've played (RE0 and REmake) were 2D. Yep: all the backgrounds you see are 2D images, with 3D models for characters, enemies, and movable objects.

Then again, the scariest thing I've ever played was Doom3, in beautiful 3D graphics. I nearly pee myself every time I play it (and I still haven't beaten it!)

Demented
2007-09-28, 02:42 PM
I hated that! First time I came across one, I was thinking, "Didn't I kill you already? Oh well, another easy zombie to take out."

Then it runs full tilt at me. I shrieked and blasted in with a shotgun. Of course, I thought that would be enough to kill the bugger. NOPE. IT GETS BACK UP AND DESTROYS ME.

Reminds me of Thief. The first one. (And the only one I played, sadly.)
Only, the worst part was the way they got up... It was the opposite of their dying animation and just looked horribly unnatural. Grroooaann... pant... heave... grroooaann... At least the zombies in other games have lungs.

Even if the game wasn't strictly scary, it was unnerving and creepy in every way.

Winterwind
2007-09-28, 02:48 PM
Reminds me of Thief. The first one. (And the only one I played, sadly.)
Only, the worst part was the way they got up... It was the opposite of their dying animation and just looked horribly unnatural. Grroooaann... pant... heave... grroooaann... At least the zombies in other games have lungs.

Even if the game wasn't strictly scary, it was unnerving and creepy in every way.Ah, finally someone who agrees with me. :smallcool:

And, yes... the first time when I came across one of these, in the Cragcleft Mine... I think I jumped back, and hit Escape to save myself into the calming comfort of the menu... and then proceeded to whack the thing with the sword.
About three times.
Why?! Why isn't it going to die?! :smalleek:

WoodenTable
2007-09-28, 05:53 PM
I've never played the System Shocks, and don't normally buy scary stuff (games, movies, books), but I can't argue with "Free". That's why the scariest thing I've ever played was "They Hunger", a zombie mod for the original half-life. Everything about it was freaky.

The beginning was like a twisted nightmare of the original half-life's peaceful tram ride. Having a car accident and ending up in a lake trying to find my way out, I wandered through the wilderness, in the middle of a thunderstorm, at night, unarmed, and nothing happened. Not even when I walked through the graveyard, or entered the church that had a couple coffins stacked along the walls. The storm let up, but still nothing much happened.

Then I got an umbrella, the first weapon. I'm sure you can imagine what happened then. The mod had 3 Acts to it, and I played through all three in some kind of state between "panic" and "cold terror".

Hermit
2007-09-28, 06:30 PM
I've never played the System Shocks, and don't normally buy scary stuff (games, movies, books), but I can't argue with "Free". That's why the scariest thing I've ever played was "They Hunger", a zombie mod for the original half-life. Everything about it was freaky.

The beginning was like a twisted nightmare of the original half-life's peaceful tram ride. Having a car accident and ending up in a lake trying to find my way out, I wandered through the wilderness, in the middle of a thunderstorm, at night, unarmed, and nothing happened. Not even when I walked through the graveyard, or entered the church that had a couple coffins stacked along the walls. The storm let up, but still nothing much happened.

Then I got an umbrella, the first weapon. I'm sure you can imagine what happened then. The mod had 3 Acts to it, and I played through all three in some kind of state between "panic" and "cold terror".

Ah, I loved They Hunger. Was very pleased to hear they're making a spiritual successor for Source http://www.blackwidowgames.com/

K2
2007-09-28, 09:11 PM
The game F.E.A.R. On the advice of a friend of mine I played the whole game through in a single sitting with the lights out and curtains drawn, all hacked up on caffeine....that was just plain creepy.

LesterLester
2007-09-29, 05:22 AM
uuuu...in half-life 2, when you're in this coffin-like box, flying through the citadel and you are able to see what happens to the people who got kidnapped by the combine...and the trains! and the striders!!!*tries to forget striders* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HL2Stalker.jpg
doom 3, well the game itself wasn't that creepy when you get used to monsters that appear from nowhere, but i really liked the beginning, when you're in that old communication station and all of a sudden, hell breaks loose. the radio messages when you return to the base, the screams, the screams*shiver*, that really made me feel uncomfortable.

oi and halo 2, when I first saw how the flood get reanimated by these little infection forms(almost as disgusting as silent hill monsters)

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-09-29, 12:49 PM
For me it was the probably investigating the Great Southern Forest in Jade Empire. As soon as you get there you know that something is very, very wrong, and that feeling only intensifies when you actually visit the Pilgrim's Rest Inn, and uncover the terrifying truth!

"GAZE UPON OUR TRUE FORM, AND BASK IN OUR GLORY! YOU SHOULD BE HONORED TO SEE THE TRUE STRENGTH OF THE CANNIBALS!"

And they were right freaky little bastards too!:smalleek:

Mephisto
2007-09-29, 01:40 PM
The Butcher's Lair in Diablo, and the Jail in Diablo II Act I. Dismembered Rogues and torture machines everywhere, and random blood sprays on the walls. Much closer to Hell than Act IV ever got. :smalleek:

Fishies
2007-09-29, 01:52 PM
I was eaten by a grue.

Bayar
2007-09-29, 02:16 PM
Loved Half life the trilogy and AVP+AVP2+AVP 2 Primal hunt.

But DOOM3 is the only one that disturbed me.I mean, after I played a bit, I could not concentrate enough to move my mouse left, it moved right.And the visions in-game still make me lose sleep. (heh, I'm 19 but still am afraid of it)

A Rainy Knight
2007-09-29, 02:25 PM
Anything with the Wretches in Gears of War, especially Act 3. Although in Act 1, there is that part where the wretches suddenly all start screaming at once and all of the windows shatter. But yeah, Act 3 was the worst. I still remember the part where you open the door, see a room completely spattered with blood, and start to have flashbacks. Not to mention the music suddenly becoming intensely loud at the same time... *shudder* :smalleek:

Anyone who has played Gears of War won't forget what the wretches' screams sound like.

Baboon Army
2007-09-29, 02:33 PM
It's hard to believe but one of the creepiest moments I had was in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

I was at a friend's place and he let me play a bit. I was running towards some building but strangely I heard four footsteps instead of two, so my friend asks me: "What are you, a horse?". I turn the view 180 degrees and there is a dog, jumping right at me. We both jumped out of our chairs!!!

That was fun...

GeeVee
2007-09-29, 04:50 PM
I played Diablo II way before I should have. Like 9 or 10 years old. Some of the imagery there was so downright disturbing I could barely watch. The clip where Diablo transforms into his true form scarred my little kid's heart for life.

Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy for the U.S) had plenty of suspense, and could really keep you on your seat at times. Although I did finish it in like one play through in the middle of the night, so that might have added to it.

Albub
2007-09-29, 05:07 PM
Hunt the wumpus. I was playing on my friend's iPod (he got a linux download for it) and I didn't know what the heck I was supposed to do. I'm sitting there, following all these arrows and stuff, and BAM! the wumpus ate me. For a game that is almost entirely text, it was extremely terrifying. Contextually, it was incredible.

WitchSlayer
2007-09-29, 06:13 PM
I would like to put another vote in for HL2 Ravenholm level. But by the gods, once I saw Grigori, it made the whole thing better. He is my favorite character in HL2.

Destro_Yersul
2007-09-29, 08:24 PM
The flood levels in Halo three are worse than the ones in halo 2 for creepiness.

At one point you see a marine being attacked by infection forms. He screams as one burrows into his chest. Then little orangey-brown pustules start bursting out of his upper body and he collapses. Then he snarls, gets back up, and charges at you, little flood tentacles already being forced out of his limbs.

Hann
2007-09-30, 04:12 PM
I'll have to second the Jade Empire, as well as add the opening of Bioshock where the spider splicer kills Johnny, and the part in Halo 1 where you see the squad getting attacked by the flood from that guy's helmet cam.

Renrik
2007-09-30, 04:25 PM
Out of the games I've played?

Probably first and foremost would be the orphanarium/insane asylum in Theif: Deadly Shadows. I love the way its played out. The asylum has a mind of its own, all the former inmates have strange objects that can propel into a dreamworld, and the only way to escape is to commit suicide through a window. When the lights flicker, you pass by dank rooms full of inhumane psychiatric equipment, and you hear low moaning, turn around to see that a mentally insane zombie is about to kill you... that's scary.

thorgrim29
2007-10-01, 01:21 PM
The one and only game who ever scared me was FEAR, especially the little girl and the ninjas, especially the ninjas, you're just minding your own business and you get slashed in the face by invisible chains.... I usually resorted to landmines to kill them. But plenty of things are creepy, especially the halo 3 flood. The elite getting floodified is even worse then the marine, he does'nt falll down. And if you take the time to looks closely at a downed flood brute combat form, you can see the brutes face was pushed open and the mass of tantacles came out.

Oh and the cutscene where truth fights the floods taking over his body, with pustules and tantacles and greenish mist coming out of his mouth.
-I am the voice of the covenant
-and so, you must be silenced

lets see.... cortanas messages, especially in high charity, where she loses it and her voice merges with the graveminds.

A Rainy Knight
2007-10-01, 03:13 PM
Oh, I almost forgot this part from Gears of War.

The last level in Act 1, where, just as you reach the end of the hallway, the Berserker bursts through the wall. Heck, anything with the Berserker is pretty creepy.

Yeril
2007-10-01, 03:46 PM
when I was about 12.. Resident evil 2, the first licker.. it used to terrify me to the point that I would stand in the police hallway not moving thinking "Okay.. right its not hard, its just the licker, Im playing claire ive got the bowgun and 7 shots.. no problem it only takes 1 shot to kill it.. just gotta.. walk forwards, wait for him to come down.. and shoot, not hard... just gotta walk forwards... *still standing still*

after about 5 minutes I'd start walking forwards..

"okay nearly there.. okay theres lots of blood now.. and a body.. (x) .. okay its heads been Twisted off.. right lets walk backwards now.. right backwards.."

Then another 5 minutes would pass..

"Right im going forwards now seriosly Im going to do HOLYHELLWHATWASTHAT??!?!? *licker runs across the windows on the outside*"

another 5 or 6 minutes i'd go forwards again, and then the cutscene where you see it, but its still on the cieling and you cant get it til you go forwards.

it was about then I went and got my uncle to do it.. :smallannoyed:

Hyrael
2007-10-01, 04:12 PM
Call of Cthulhu, fark corners of the earth. That game is so freaky, the fear is an actual game mechanic-looking down from high up makes your vision swim, horrible sights make you halucinate, and if you look at something really, really bad for too long, you shoot yourself in the head.

HL2, ravenholm. best stuff ever. scary and fun, rolled into one. Fast zombies are so freaky, I use them In D&D when I REALLY want to scare low-level players.

2007-10-01, 05:21 PM
Lambent wretches in Gears of War were pretty unnerving.

The weren't really scary, but that scream of theirs got my adrenaline pumping (in a bad way) and having them swarm you all the time was prett nerve wracking.

And the way the Theron Guards whispered commands to the other Locus.

"Sssspread....Hossstilesss"

Setra
2007-10-01, 06:15 PM
I played Diablo II way before I should have. Like 9 or 10 years old. Some of the imagery there was so downright disturbing I could barely watch. The clip where Diablo transforms into his true form scarred my little kid's heart for life.
I got D2 when it first came out, making me like 11 or so..

Dunno why but the game never creeped me out. Then again neither did the original.

Lizardfolk Lich
2007-10-02, 11:26 AM
Regenerators and Iron Maidens from RE4, their horrible gaspy breath is so scary!

Celitholar
2007-10-20, 02:28 AM
No one mentioned Half Life 2 Ep. 1? Where you and Alyx are trapped underground, and Alyx is the only one with a gun in beginning. Not to mention the lack of lights.

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-20, 02:59 AM
HL2, ravenholm. best stuff ever. scary and fun, rolled into one. Fast zombies are so freaky, I use them In D&D when I REALLY want to scare low-level players.

Ugh, tell me about it. And hearing the zombie-moans, and recognizing what they're trying to say ("Why?! Oh God, Why?!" "Kill me! KILL ME!" etc) really added to the horror factor.

Freshmeat
2007-10-20, 04:15 AM
I don't really get unnerved a lot by most video games anymore, but the Shalebridge Cradle (as already mentioned by a lot of people) from Thief 2 did.

It was probably the occassional sound of footsteps that kept me on my toes . I distinctly remember lockpicking a chest at the long end of a corridor. About halfway through (I didn't know that cheesy trick to speed up the process back then) I heard it.

Tap.
Tap.

Since it still sounded pretty far away, I continued lockpicking, slighty surprised at actually hearing someone in the building. I vowed to check it out as soon as I was done.

Tap.
Tap.
Tap.

Closer it came, and I heard it clearly behind me now. While the pacing seemed a bit off, it sounded like it was coming at me fast.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

I pretty much stopped my entire lockpicking atttempt right there and turned around, dagger in hand, to see... nothing.

The worst part is, pretty much the entire level was like that. Usually in some sort of different, unexpected way. ("Well, okay, I know that these footsteps aren't as bad as they sound, bu- wait a second! Did that shadow just move?!")

† Dran †
2007-10-20, 06:35 AM
oddly enough i never found ravenhome creepy at all. However FEAR is another ball game!

Just played through the first part (the actual game) and have started on the expansion and all i can say is this game is damn creepy, so much so that its the first game thats made me escape out of it for 5 min breathers. Also im now somewhat creeped out to enter an elevator alone :smallfrown:

Also when I was younger i found system shock and number 2 to be pretty damn scary at times, but now days i love em.

Dragor
2007-10-20, 08:12 AM
A lot of games have freaked me out. FEAR, Eternal Darkness, THAT level in Half-Life 2, and the Stalker Train in Half Life 2: Episode 1.

Which one scared me the most? FEAR.

Near the end, where Alma is in her teenage form, coming down the corridor towards you. You pump a few shots into her face and she disappears. Phew, I breathe a sigh of relief- only to find she's now right in my face. I nearly leaped out of my chair.

I know who you are.... give him back..... give him back to me.

:smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Nebo_
2007-10-20, 08:40 AM
In condemned there is a part where you have to follow a blood trail with one of those lights that highlights bodliy fluids. While you're holding it, you can't have a weapon out, so you're completely unarmed. You follow it down the stairs into the basement, up the wall, onto the roof and finally back down the wall onto a mirror where you see the reflection of a madman charging at you with a crowbar.

Sajek
2007-10-20, 02:27 PM
I second the underground tunnel in Episode 1. You're the only one with a light, and the battery lasts like thirty seconds before it needs to recharge. You hear the zombies everywhere (GET IT OFF ME!! AHHHHHH!!! KILL ME!!!), but it's so cluttered and dark, you can't see anything, and HOLY S**T HE'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!! It got even worse when the fast zombies showed up, and all you could hear was that frantic gibbering.

Either that, or that one house in the Highway 17 level in HL2. You know the one I'm talking about. As you enter, you hear this strange muffled, labored breathing. Then, a bent figure stumbles out of a door, covered in these big, black, pulsating arachnoid things, letting out a low, long moan.

LordOfNarf
2007-10-21, 05:13 PM
Bioshock terrifies me. The whole atmosephere of destruction puts me on edge. The psyco people jumping off the ceiling don,t realy help...

I'll never listen to 50's music or look at bunnies wiout my skin crawling ever again.

2007-10-21, 07:10 PM
FEAR didn't realy bother me...

I kind of thought it was a silly game...

BanjoTheClown
2007-10-21, 09:12 PM
Id say in Ocarina of Time, those skulltula people. Scared the crap out of me. Oh and the back humping zombies as well. :smalleek:

Freelance Henchman
2007-10-22, 06:13 AM
Bioshock terrifies me. The whole atmosephere of destruction puts me on edge. The psyco people jumping off the ceiling don,t realy help...

I'll never listen to 50's music or look at bunnies wiout my skin crawling ever again.

It was very cartoony though. Even the Little Sisters were more cute and adorable than creepy, I thought, the way they traipse around and go "Haaaaam and Jammies!". It was so over the top it wasn't really scary anymore.

UncleWolf
2007-10-26, 01:12 PM
2am, lights off, and i'm half asleep. I'm playing one of the first Alien games (when you're Ripley). I was about 4 levels into the game and I hear the Motion Tracker go off. I look around and see nothing so I made an asumption that the thing was in the next room. I forgot to follow Monster Movie Rule #3; LOOK UP!(#1 is Genetic Tampering is BAD). And of course, after the alien killed me, the power went off. I couldn't sleep for the next 2 days.

Other than that it is the entire Call of Cthulhu game.

Daze
2007-10-26, 05:25 PM
For me playing Doom 2 way back when... in the pitch black, alone with headphones on... damn man, I jumped outta my seat more than a few times. Damn sneaky imps...

Setra
2007-10-26, 05:38 PM
It was very cartoony though. Even the Little Sisters were more cute and adorable than creepy, I thought, the way they traipse around and go "Haaaaam and Jammies!". It was so over the top it wasn't really scary anymore.
Any game in which I can set things on fire instantly ceases to be scary once I gain this ability.

Pyro
2007-10-26, 06:45 PM
@^ Indeed, by the end of the game you became so accustomed to the little sisters and were so powerful the game stopped being scary. There were still some creepy parts though, but not scary.

Akuzen
2007-10-26, 06:47 PM
While playing Re:4 me and my friend where going towards the church when we heard the regular las plagas sound, although we turned everyone trying to find it too no success, then as we were about too shoot one of the blue pendants, well whattya know one of them zombies swings at us suddenly from the side screen, we both jumped up in fright although we have a good laugh at it now.

Mephisto
2007-10-27, 12:49 AM
In the Geneforge series of games by Spiderweb, there's a monster called a Rothgroth that's a tall skeletal-looking humanoid whose skin constantly secretes acid. Thus, you have a monster who is dissolving itself with its own sweat and regenerating at the same rate so that it looks ghastly and smells like rotting flesh, splashes you with acid when it hits you (doing nasty damage over time) and has a preference for jumping out of shadowy areas.

Honestly, anytime the boxed text for an area in Geneforge 2 or 4 mentions the smell of rotting flesh, I think "oh bugger."

There's an especially scary encounter where you're exploring an underground Shaping lab in Geneforge 4. A rothgroth pops out of a trash pit, locks the trapdoor behind you, and chases you through a trap-filled dungeon while you're at least five levels too low to reasonably fight something like that.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-27, 03:48 AM
Thus, you have a monster who is dissolving itself with its own sweat and regenerating at the same rate so that it looks ghastly and smells like rotting flesh

That looks wasteful. If these fictional monsters actually had to worry about the laws of conservation of energy...

Logic
2007-10-27, 06:19 AM
Bioshock was creepy, but the only point in the whole game I was more than startled was when the Houdini Slicer first did the "ghostly teleport" trick. I thought that the diary mentioning a ghost was a little more true.

FEAR and System Shock 2 were both much better at eliciting fear from me than Bioshock.

Arang
2007-10-27, 07:27 AM
The labs in S.T.A.L.K.E.R were simply too scary for me to play through with sound on. In the first one is a ten-inch blast door that looks like it can withstand several rocket blasts, and when you go near it, something on the other side starts pounding on it. I was stuck at that door, just trying to open it for nearly two months. And when I got through?

There's nothing there.:smalleek:

In X16 there's some kind of ... thing that will try to boil your brain, even though you're supposed to be protected from it. And when you manage to kill it, you realize you don't know if there is a way out and there are lots of zombies coming. And when you find an exit, there's a Controller guarding it.:smalleek:

I can take the overground parts of it, but once you have to go into a tunnel, it's the scariest game of all time.

Sledge_bro
2007-10-27, 08:15 AM
In the game shadows of the collosus , whenever you stab any collosus, and about 8 pints of blood shoot out... It freaked me out the first time i wounded one.....

Not really creepy as per-se, but it freaked me out at about midnight :smalleek: and i was fine with bioshock except for the little sisters and the injections :smalleek:

Drascin
2007-10-27, 08:47 AM
Personally, now that I'm playing it, I'd say the creepy part in Bioshock for me aren't the monsters - those are pretty much standard fare, even the little creepy girls. It's more the whole mentality and design of Rapture, and the idea that people could have gone along (still are, given splicers seem to be pretty human) with such ideas and consider a place like Rapture their paradise, makes me deeply uncomfortable. So, to me, the game is not really scary, but it's plenty creepy, if you know what I mean.

Though I have been startled more than a few times to the point of slightly jumping by suddenly-appearing enemies.

UncleWolf
2007-10-29, 12:17 PM
the part of a game I hate the most is in Red Faction 2 with the spider bombs inside the subway because they come in huge swarms and each one takes a full third of a healthbar away

to Closet Skeleton, great H.P. Lovecraft quote!

2007-10-29, 02:50 PM
You're telling me that, when playing Bioshock, certain journals didn't give you the creeps?

"Doctor, what are you doing? She wasn't schedueled for a face lift-"
*Steinman whistles a little tune as a saw powers up*
"Doctor...stop! Doctor Steinman stop cutting! STOP CUTTING!"

Setra
2007-10-29, 04:54 PM
You're telling me that, when playing Bioshock, certain journals didn't give you the creeps?

"Doctor, what are you doing? She wasn't schedueled for a face lift-"
*Steinman whistles a little tune as a saw powers up*
"Doctor...stop! Doctor Steinman stop cutting! STOP CUTTING!"
*shudder*

*shudders some more*

Ugh, I have shivers now.

That kind of stuff creeps the **** out of me.

Somebloke
2007-10-29, 05:08 PM
It really is hard to choose from all of the Fatal Frame series ghosts, but I would have to go with Girl Under Floor from the third series.

Mind you, the entire series is all about playing chicken with the undead. Most combats essentially force you to keep focusing on something deeply unnatural closing in on you and wait until it is right on top of you. And you get a split second shot. Woman in chest and Little Doll Sisters from part II were particularly bad, but they still pale in comparison with Girl Under Floor.

Girl under Floor was the ghost of a girl who died, slowly, in a ditch after being thrown out from crash site and drawn into a hallucinary dream-house where she permanently wanders the crawl spaces under the house. Sounds stupid until you clamber into said crawl spaces and first see her...at near point blank range, scuttling towards you like a demonic spider, completely mad screaming 'Let me out! Let me out!'.

And then, when the level is completed, you wake up and go downstairs into your apartment...and the phone rings. She's already found you. Let me out! Let me out!

And that doesn't even include when the camera suddenly switches to a new perspective....and she's watching you under your own desk.

Stormthorn
2007-10-29, 10:11 PM
Bioshock when you can hear the Spider Splicer lady (the one with tons of health that ambushes you a few times later on) talking to you and saying things like "who's crawling in my garden?"

Also in Bioshock, any time i hear someone singing that one little christian nursury rhyme, because i know it means a Spider up ahead, but i dnt know where he is or when he might fall on me from above. ((honorable mention, watching the surgeon guy flip out and hack up a corpse))

In RE4 when you fight the regen-dudes, cuz they move slow but you freak out anyways and if you shoot a leg they just come at you faster on the ground.

All time creepy-ness? For me its the Sixth House bases in Morrowind. Red candles, incomprehensible whispering, statues to unspeakable gods, disease ridden cultists lurking around every corner, and at the heart of the base beings so twisted by dark magic and madness that they look like something out of one of H.P. Lovecrafts nightmares.

Needless to say, i never went into those without light spells, and a huge-ass sword to back me up.

Ominous
2007-10-29, 11:58 PM
I would like to note that I see a difference between creepy and scary. Creepy is something that makes you slightly on edde. Scary is something that put you into a state where you want to turn on the lights and the smallest noises make you jump.

I found the Floodgate level of Halo 3 to be creepy. It was the first time you encountered them in the game, it was in an Earth-like setting, and the models were much creepier than in the other two games.

I didn't find Bioshock creepy or scary.

Destro_Yersul
2007-10-30, 01:51 AM
I second Floodgate. I hate the flood so much...

Gods, the entire medical level in Bioshock was creepy. Especially the surgery wing.

Steinman: "what can I do with this one, Aphrodite? She won't *stabs body* Stay *stab* STILL!" *stab*
"I want to make them beautiful, but they all turn out WRONG!"
*begins gesturing. Lights come on, revealing bodies on racks hanging over the operating table.*
"This one! Too fat! That one! Too tall! This one! Too SYMMETRICAL!" *begins crying, stops suddenly*
"Wait, what's this? An Intruder! And he is ugly! UGLY! UGLY!"
*pulls out machine gun, begins blasting away*

Mordan
2007-10-30, 05:21 AM
Considering I've year to play any of the Fatal Frame games during the day or with any of the lights on, that entire series fills this category for me.

From the first appearance of the woman in the mask: "my eyes!! my eeeeyes!!" to the granny pushing the stroller down the hallway!

Or walking along and turning a corner and finding a small child curled up in the corner crying, which brings up a short cutscene with the heroine going over to talk to and comfort the child, then suddenly said child leaping up with a demonic face and attempting to "rescue" you from the hell that she's in.

There's something to be said for a series of games where someone is trying to kill you to keep you safe(!), so that he main boss doesn't get ahold of you first and subject you to what everyone else is going through.

That and the recorder/crystals. Actually listening to those torments.. I had to look them up on the internet to make sure some freak wasn't using actual recordings in his video game!!

*shuders, twitter* Okay, find the happy place, find the happy place.

Setra
2007-10-30, 05:26 AM
Fatal Frame sounds fun :smallbiggrin:

I love scary videogames.. and scary movies.. but I hate gore.. but videogame gore doesn't effect me, so I like scary videogames more..

Plus games give you a more.. I forgot the word I was about to say.. um I'll go with 'in-depth' feel, especially first person games.

Argent
2007-10-30, 10:23 AM
In general, any moments that involve something jumping directly at your face creeps me out. So the headcrabs from Half-Life and the stomach-jumpers from the AvP games definitely qualify -- any time one of those little guys jumps out from behind a barrel or something and goes sailing across my field of vision, I jump.

Then again, I tend to be easily startled, so that's not too surprising.

AvP (the first one, IIRC) had some awesomely creepy moments. Aliens busting out of the walls at you, and one chapter involved you running flat-out of an installation overrun by stomach-jumpers -- if you fought while you ran, you got swarmed, and all you could do was run as fast as you can out to the APC and hope that the APC cannon got 'em for you. Now THAT was good times.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-30, 11:32 AM
stomach-jumpers

They're called "face huggers". They jump onto your face and then plant eggs in your stomach, but go nowhere near the stomach itself. There are Chestbursters as well but those don't appear in the 'first' AVP.

2007-10-30, 01:19 PM
I always found regular headcrabs kind of cute, that funny little noise they make when the walk around?

And HL2 didn't help, since Kliner had a pet headcrab.

The poisonus ones that sound like rattlesnakes, and the headcrab zombies are still freaky though.

2007-10-30, 01:20 PM
I always found regular headcrabs kind of cute, that funny little noise they make when the walk around?

The poisonus ones that sound like rattlesnakes, and the headcrab zombies are still freaky though.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-30, 02:12 PM

Whenever I hear one of my Half Life playing friends talk about Headcrabs, they're always words of affection.

Somebloke
2007-10-30, 02:35 PM
Considering I've year to play any of the Fatal Frame games during the day or with any of the lights on, that entire series fills this category for me.

From the first appearance of the woman in the mask: "my eyes!! my eeeeyes!!" to the granny pushing the stroller down the hallway!

Or walking along and turning a corner and finding a small child curled up in the corner crying, which brings up a short cutscene with the heroine going over to talk to and comfort the child, then suddenly said child leaping up with a demonic face and attempting to "rescue" you from the hell that she's in.

There's something to be said for a series of games where someone is trying to kill you to keep you safe(!), so that he main boss doesn't get ahold of you first and subject you to what everyone else is going through.

That and the recorder/crystals. Actually listening to those torments.. I had to look them up on the internet to make sure some freak wasn't using actual recordings in his video game!!

*shuders, twitter* Okay, find the happy place, find the happy place.Woman in the Mask...I had forgotten about her.

(shudders)

What I love about that series was the sense of dread that it makes you feel.

Jibar
2007-10-30, 03:01 PM
Ya know, I'm not sure anybody really appreciates how bad Kingdom Hearts can be.
I mean, there are scenes were Heartless actually eat a guys heart, there's the whole posession by Ansem... which, by the by, gets creepier when you notice Ansem is the one putting all the emphasis on words, and Riku is talking in a completely monotone voice, there's the Nobodies who are pretty much boneless...
Worst parts though were those giant fights in the first game. Battling Chernabog... that wasn't so bad. I can handle him. Sure, it's pretty damn creepy, but what about when you reach Ursula for the second time? Giant octopus lady not creepy enough? How about if we give her the grin of a demented clown for the entire battle?
I honestly had to play that fight with one hand half covering my eyes.

Cristo Meyers
2007-10-30, 03:10 PM
... Sure, it's pretty damn creepy, but what about when you reach Ursula for the second time? Giant octopus lady not creepy enough? How about if we give her the grin of a demented clown for the entire battle?
I honestly had to play that fight with one hand half covering my eyes.

I was too busy cursing at the game to really notice much other than trying for the 300th time to kill the thing...

...though, it retrospect...*shudder*...

For some reason, X-Com starts to wear on my nerves after awhile. Walking down dark hallways and streets with that kinda creepy music...

I still remember trying to play System Shock 2...

*walk around*
*ghost thing pops up*
"CHRIST!" *empties clip into nothing*

Got up to the robot midwives. "The babies must have meat!" ...*whimper*

Setra
2007-10-30, 03:23 PM

Normal headcrabs yeah, they're kind of cute.

I want to buy a headcrab hat one of these days.

A Rainy Knight
2007-10-30, 06:11 PM
Anything with the Flood from the Halo games. No matter how many times I play it, being beaten to death by a horde of parasite-ridden corpses still creeps me out. It's even worse in Halo 3 where you can make out the agonized faces on the host creatures.

Stormthorn
2007-10-30, 07:42 PM
I found the Floodgate level of Halo 3 to be creepy. It was the first time you encountered them in the game, it was in an Earth-like setting, and the models were much creepier than in the other two games.

It seems fear is subjective, since i only found the flood the least bit creepy or scary, depending upon if you consider them one thing or two, in the first level you see them of the first game. But i wouldnt putthem up in the creepiest moments.

As a side note, i forgot to mention that the spider-y headcrabs creep me out. course, im an arachniphobe so its only reasonable that spider headcrabs and spider splicers would freak me outs. Its the way they crawl, and in the Splicers case, the fact that they can do it on the ceiling.

2007-10-31, 11:30 AM
I want to buy a headcrab hat one of these days.

Holy crap, do they have those?

Hecore
2007-10-31, 02:04 PM
In Resident Evil: Code Veronica there's a cocoon that hangs from the ceiling. It looks like a bit of background and until you reach a certain point in the game it doesn't do anything. However, once you're far enough in the game it drops from the ceiling - it made me jump.

Silent Hill 4 was pretty scary, as was Eternal Darkness.

Culwch
2007-10-31, 09:15 PM
Clive Barker's Undying: there I was, playing it (and not too far from the start even) when I got stuck. I found a key, but had no idea what door to open with it. So I look up a website with solution, and it goes like this:

You have now found a key. Go to the mansion, turn left at the stairs and go down the second corridor. Prepare a change of pants. When you open the door and enter the next section of the corridor, the lights will turn off and you will hear the demon-dogs (nasty pests) howling. Turn around, three of them are jumping at you. Kill them. Lights will turn back on. Change pants. Proceed into the hall.

Now, armed with this newfound knowledge (only slightly confused about the pants; CBU is not a kind of game where you change your 'armour' or 'outfit') I proceed into the corridor...

And even though I was warned, I found out what the author actually meant about the spare pants being handy. And was this close from needing to use them.

And this was even before some of the more twisted siblings (cf. CBU plot) started to appear.

Also, Aliens vs. Predator 1, Marine Campaign was pretty scary. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit and Condemned as well. Bloodlines' Hotel gets a honourable mention, and there was this ancient (for PCs, at least) game called "Bioforge". The only thing I remember is that it was quite creepy.

emperor_mai
2007-11-04, 05:20 PM
I was once talking to a guard in TES4 Oblivion and his face was all glitched, there was no color in his face and he was frowning and had no pupils. So I slaughtered him for the good of humanity.

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-11-04, 08:35 PM
So, I've scanned this thread, and I noticed no one mentioned Albedo ripping his head off infront of Momo in the first Xenosaga game.
Then again, the series never got much attention, but still.
An insane man ripped off his head and regrew it while cackling infront of a small child.
I find that as creepy as all get-out.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-11-04, 11:15 PM
I was once talking to a guard in TES4 Oblivion and his face was all glitched, there was no color in his face and he was frowning and had no pupils. So I slaughtered him for the good of humanity.

Well, that's one way of approaching things ... :smalleek:

Ominous
2007-11-04, 11:59 PM
It seems fear is subjective, since i only found the flood the least bit creepy or scary, depending upon if you consider them one thing or two, in the first level you see them of the first game. But i wouldnt putthem up in the creepiest moments.

I agree that fear is subjective. I tried to elaborate earlier, though, that by creepy, I don't mean something that instills fear in me. That would be something that is scary. By creepy, I mean something that is disturbing and makes my think "That's gross" or "That's got to hurt". A dead body, for instance, doesn't scare me, but I do find it disturbing and thus creepy. Maybe I'm splitting hairs though.

Logic Cannon
2007-11-05, 12:14 AM
So, I've scanned this thread, and I noticed no one mentioned Albedo ripping his head off infront of Momo in the first Xenosaga game.
Then again, the series never got much attention, but still.
An insane man ripped off his head and regrew it while cackling infront of a small child.
I find that as creepy as all get-out.

Albedo had to be my favorite antagonist in that whole series. I still don't know why Xenosaga gets no love nowadays. The series was generally quite good.

Setra
2007-11-05, 12:37 AM
Holy crap, do they have those?

http://store.valvesoftware.com/productshowcase/productshowcase_HL2HeadCrabHat.html

Albedo had to be my favorite antagonist in that whole series. I still don't know why Xenosaga gets no love nowadays. The series was generally quite good.
Not meaning to be offensive to the series but..

Well the second game, first off, turned a lot of people off the series, it wasn't that great (well the story was, and the music, but.. ).

Second off, the long cutscenes also turned a lot of people off, The Gameplay/Cutscene ratio is comparable to the second disc of Xenogears.

Also, some people dun like Sci-fi.

I myself do like the series, but admittedly, only really for the story (and music!).

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-11-05, 02:43 PM
Not meaning to be offensive to the series but..

Well the second game, first off, turned a lot of people off the series, it wasn't that great (well the story was, and the music, but.. ).

Second off, the long cutscenes also turned a lot of people off, The Gameplay/Cutscene ratio is comparable to the second disc of Xenogears.

Also, some people dun like Sci-fi.

I myself do like the series, but admittedly, only really for the story (and music!).
True, the second game was miserable, and the cut scenes were a bit long. Overall, the series was geared to an audience who preferred plot over game play...such as me.
Still, you have to hand it to Albedo- he was a creepy, creepy man. Also, my favorite character in the series.

Setra
2007-11-05, 03:14 PM
True, the second game was miserable, and the cut scenes were a bit long. Overall, the series was geared to an audience who preferred plot over game play...such as me.
Still, you have to hand it to Albedo- he was a creepy, creepy man. Also, my favorite character in the series.
Oh I do love plot, however if the gameplay is tiring then it makes the plot suffer as it becomes annoying to reveal more of it.

Somebloke
2007-11-05, 03:25 PM
Anyone else played The Suffering or it's sequel? A few scenes stick out...moments when you fade from hallucination and some horrid creature bursts out of the wall/floor/window etc...

And the Creeper from the sequel...that goes down in history as by far the most sick, horrid creature I have ever fought. I never felt so good about killing something as I did that horror.

Actually, the worst scene from that entire series would have to be a quarter of the way through the first game, when you are about to enter the outer courtyard...you are wandering through the main communications center. You hear a voice over the radio, coming from the nearby settlement- it is the wife of one of the guards, who almost certainly dead. She is clearly quite frightened, and talks about 'The flames getting closer to the house.' There is an edge to the way she talks...she is so clearly wanting to panic, but trying to stay strong until help arrives.

Later on...

You stumble across a cliffside. In the distance, you can see a small settlement completely engulfed in flames. Nothing could have survived.

2007-11-05, 03:33 PM

I liked it okay... but felt ripped off because I thought it was going to be leading up to Xenogears.

So throughout the entire series I was comparing it to Xenogears and constantly being dissapointed.

That, and I was always pissed about how:

In an episode 1 cutscene, KoS-MoS wipes out an entire Gnosis swarm all alone, but then when you use that attack during gameplay, it just does a decent amount of damage. I hate when games show characters being insanely powerful during cutscenes, but little wusses during actualy gameplay

UncleWolf
2007-11-07, 01:25 PM
now that is quite true

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-07, 02:13 PM
I hate when games show characters being insanely powerful during cutscenes, but little wusses during actualy gameplay

now that is quite true

You are not alone: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.CutscenePowerToTheMax

Setra
2007-11-07, 03:56 PM
I liked it okay... but felt ripped off because I thought it was going to be leading up to Xenogears.

So throughout the entire series I was comparing it to Xenogears and constantly being dissapointed.

That, and I was always pissed about how:

In an episode 1 cutscene, KoS-MoS wipes out an entire Gnosis swarm all alone, but then when you use that attack during gameplay, it just does a decent amount of damage. I hate when games show characters being insanely powerful during cutscenes, but little wusses during actualy gameplay
I knew from the start they couldn't legally make it a prequel to Xenogears.

In any case, I personally love watching characters nuke everything, but it would be no fun if you could end the battle with that one skill every single time.

That's what Erde Kaiser is for.

Edit: I take that back, Xenosaga (as a series) would be much more fun if KOS-MOS could end every battle with a single skill, but only Xenosaga.

Oeryn
2007-11-07, 06:25 PM
I gotta agree with Culwch. I've played TONS of horror games. Resident Evil, Alice, Alone in the Dark, Thief, System Shock 2, Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Fatal Frame, all the greatest hits. Nothing has EVER scared me like Undying. There really is no "Creepiest Moment", because the whole damn game is creepy, soup to nuts.

The mood, the lighting, the freaky soundtrack, the plot, the images, it's seriously as creepy a game as I ever hope to play. Took me FOREVER, because I could only stand to play it for a half hour or so, tops. But I love that friggin' game.

It's chock full of "cheap scares", where something bursts through a window, or sneaks up behind you, but it's the rest of the game that gets me. The tension just ratchets up so slowly you barely even realize it. Then all the lights go out in the hallway, and a creepy guy who you're not sure if he's dead or alive appears right in front of you, and -next thing you know- you're three rooms away, screaming, and your wife is yellin' at you for wakin' up the baby again.

Seriously, of all the many scary-ass games I've played, this is the only one where I've died, because I was scared so bad I vacated the premises without pausing the game. Such a shame that so few people ever played it. One of the best reviewed games of all time, and it never gets old.

Crispy Dave
2007-11-07, 08:31 PM
the only game that ever made me jump was condemned at the manican part

Migodnar
2007-11-07, 08:57 PM
I never played a terror game because I would probably have nightmares with it in the next few months ._., plus, it's too much for my lil heart.
But one moment in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow creeped me,
when I lost the final boss battle, Dracula had possesed Sora and he was in his throne room, the one with a giant saint statue crying blood, just sitting there, drinking his wine/blood all "haha"...that was creepy.
Also when my paladin in Fire Emblem missed a hit that had a 95% chance of hitting was also VERY wierd.

Vilehelm
2007-11-09, 06:35 AM
When I think of "scary" and videogames I immediately reflect on the horror that was Clive Barker's Undying.

Stand-out moment? Standing before the giant family portrait and the whispering in your head going "Scryyy". Then you push the Scry button ... And see.

Shivers run down my spine every time I think of this.

Thief 3, Vampire - Bloodlines, Aliens vs Predator 2 and F.E.A.R. were mentioned before.

I also fondly recollect the level in Quake 2 where the marines were processed and you first heard the pounding of the Tank monsters walking through the level.

JackTR69
2007-11-09, 06:47 AM
My vote has to go to resident evil 4, when you first enter the village. I backed out of the top window of the house after the zombies broke through the door, and turned to see a zombie with a chainsaw rip my face off. Jumped me so much I almost tipped my seat over.

Emperor Ing
2007-11-09, 07:30 AM
Whenever I hear one of my Half Life playing friends talk about Headcrabs, they're always words of affection.

I saw this HILARIOUS flash video (using half-life) about headcrabs, but I cant seem to find it. :smallfrown:

Jibar
2007-11-09, 11:20 AM
My vote has to go to resident evil 4, when you first enter the village. I backed out of the top window of the house after the zombies broke through the door, and turned to see a zombie with a chainsaw rip my face off. Jumped me so much I almost tipped my seat over.

Oh, Resi 4 for jump moments was brilliant.
Remember when you first enter the castle, work your way up past all those catapults, get to the main door, and then fight you way to that room with the key to open said doors?
I got in there, thought "Huh, that was easy." Grab the key, and hear them coming.
I turn round and begin aiming for the head (the source of their power!). Eventually they get me pressed into the corner, about seven of them all swarming round. I'm shooting and slashing, then I blow up one of their heads.
As I turn to get the guy who was molesting Ashley, another comes at me, so I shoot them both, then somebody gets up, Las Plagas going full. This is on a big screen, I'm sitting pretty close, and I'm in aiming mode.
I jump and begin firing wildly, and then he eats my head.

That has been my best jump moment in a video game so far.

Megalomaniac2
2007-11-09, 03:18 PM
From the original Half-Life: in my opinion all the headcrabs and gigantic evil fetuses in the world don't compare to the strain on my nerves brought on by the Female Black Ops Assassins. Those ninja-girls were just so damn FAST.... and smart, and accurate, and could take waaay too many bullets for ordinary women in skintight jumpsuits.

Oh, and whenever I tried to corner them they just leaped straight up like six feet into the air and ran off again, usually leaving a grenade behind as a parting gift- or they broke out the kung-fu. And they always come at you in big, open, dark areas... you creep in, using as much cover as possible, then all of a sudden you hear these light footsteps moving very fast all around you- if you're lucky, you get a glimpse of them moving between crates- and then all of a sudden silenced pistol shots are turning you into a pincushion from every angle.

And if you play on Hard mode, they get stealth camo.

It was always a titanic battle of wits and reflexes for me to even survive an encounter with those ladies, let alone beat them.

SITB
2007-11-12, 08:42 PM
The thing that scares me the most at video games is the tension building music. If the music is just right I can really feel myself as the character in the game.

American Mcgee's Alice,Waking up at the Mad Hatter's place.
A room which is on the side filled with laughing,gibbering kids with half their head sawn off, no wonder I couldn't play this game after 10 PM :smallsmile:.

Some of the descriptions in this thread has made me really interested in several games stated, I really wanna play Call Of Cthulhu and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Reqiuem now.

sikyon
2007-11-12, 08:43 PM
American Mcgee's Alice,Waking up at the Mad Hatter's place.
A room which is on the side filled with laughing,gibbering kids with half their head sawn off, no wonder I couldn't play this game after 10 PM :smallsmile: .

Oh man that game was freaky as hell. I agree, Mad Hatter's place was damn freaky (hard too), but seriously, seriously messed.

2007-11-12, 08:53 PM
From the original Half-Life: in my opinion all the headcrabs and gigantic evil fetuses in the world don't compare to the strain on my nerves brought on by the Female Black Ops Assassins. Those ninja-girls were just so damn FAST.... and smart, and accurate, and could take waaay too many bullets for ordinary women in skintight jumpsuits.

Oh, and whenever I tried to corner them they just leaped straight up like six feet into the air and ran off again, usually leaving a grenade behind as a parting gift- or they broke out the kung-fu. And they always come at you in big, open, dark areas... you creep in, using as much cover as possible, then all of a sudden you hear these light footsteps moving very fast all around you- if you're lucky, you get a glimpse of them moving between crates- and then all of a sudden silenced pistol shots are turning you into a pincushion from every angle.

And if you play on Hard mode, they get stealth camo.

It was always a titanic battle of wits and reflexes for me to even survive an encounter with those ladies, let alone beat them.

I HATED those chicks.

After I killed them I always made sure to beat them about the head with my crowbar, just to get a little psycological release....

And why did their glocks do so much damage!?

nephtis
2007-11-13, 02:32 AM
But the greatest had to be Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. The mission where the Therese (or was it Jeanette? I can never remember) sends you to "excorsize" the haunted hotel.

I agree! and what was worse, the movement was always on the side of the screen, like you saw it out of the corner of your eye and when you turned into the direction, there was nothing there. I was expecting to be jumped from behind every second!

That may have been the highlight, but I liked the level in Dr. Grout's Mansion. If you activated all the little recorded message while walking through the institution you could hear a perfectly calm and reasonable sounding voice telling the story of him learning of the existance of vampires, examining it and evetually becoming a Malkavian. Combined with the halls full of insane vamps and the architecture of the place it had a great effect.

SITB
2007-11-18, 08:56 PM
Unlikely creepy moment in the Twilight Princess, when the screen zooms up on the chicken you just played Pina'ta with. Every cell in my body was yelling at me "Run away, NOW !".

I couldn't touch it after that, even though the chickens didn't attack me. It's the suspense.

Woot Spitum
2007-11-19, 10:51 PM
Walking around a corner in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. Most games have monster jump at you, who then proceeds hit for a little damage before you kill it. In Rainbow Six, a terrorist jumps out firing an AK-47 and you're DEAD.

Gungnir
2007-11-19, 11:09 PM
A man who sounded like a serial rapist/killer told me that he wanted my body in Xbox Live. I think that should qualify.

Moongoat
2007-11-21, 08:04 PM
HL 2 ravenholm was a big one for me because anytime that your playing a horror game at night, during a thunder stomr is gonna be bad news. i also remeber getting nightmares from one of the resi games, but i was like 7 then.