PDA

View Full Version : Item Creation thought

Stryyke
2019-01-19, 09:38 PM
So I've been thinking about what actually happens when a mundane item is made a magical item. Not the game mechanics, but how the item holds the magic. What properties of items actually allow magic to hold, rather than dissipating? What does permanency actually do?

zlefin
2019-01-19, 09:47 PM
midichlorians. there's your answer :P
in part seriously too; sometimes explaining something isn't very satisfying, and no explanation holds up that well, so it's better to just not explain.

for other answers; I'd say it's not so mcuh the item holds hte magic, as the magic attaches itself to the item (or alternately a complex runic pattern and maybe some crystals or something)
. part of permanency is about setting the magic's power source so it will last; at least that's how I envision it. so it's a hookup that allows drawing ambient magical energy or something.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-01-19, 10:30 PM
It's the investment of the crafters' spirit. That's why only masterwork items will do. Items made quickly, cheaply, and by rote just lack that special something a craftsmen imparts when he brings his full skill to bear.

Really though, there is no canonical answer. The above just feels to me like a good fit with the rest of the metaphysics of the world, given that faith is a source of power and being awesome enough can make your gear spontaneously become magical.

unseenmage
2019-01-19, 10:41 PM
It can also change from campaign setting to campaign setting.

In Faerun the condition of the Weave can determine whether the efficacy of any magical endeavors. And the Shadow Weave works under it's own rules.

In Dark Sun magic of every kind is all jacked up.

Each campaign setting can alter the process in it's own way.

ezekielraiden
2019-01-20, 04:25 AM
In an old campaign, my Paladin crafted magic items by engraving them with (what he considered) holy symbols, then "singing" them awake. The DM thought this was a great idea, and so from then on, the magitech-like relics of the lost precursors worked by Religion rolls rather than Arcana rolls--representing the teaching and genetic memory imprinted on the character's species.

It was a lot of fun.

King of Nowhere
2019-01-20, 06:54 AM
In my campaign I go for magitech, and I assume that when you enchant an item you put runes and other stuff on it that will have the magic. Plus, you sacrifice some of your soul force (xp cost) to power the item.

Unless something awesome happens, then the item may manifest magic spontaneously out of belief/connection. for example, a weapon that was used to great effect in a lot of great fights will become better, because everyone connects the weapon with great deeds and everyone expects it will stay that way. that's how artifacts are made, and it's a bit like faith giving power to gods.

Jowgen
2019-01-20, 07:08 AM
The most beautiful example of fluff explaining crafting I have found is that on dragonshard airships. It literally talks about creating an arcane matrix, a circuitry of magical conduits through which the bound elemental is forced to flow as to empower the ship with its specific effects.

Ursus Spelaeus
2019-01-20, 09:22 AM
I don't know about arcane magic, but psionic items have psychocircuitry, as described in the 2nd edition Illithiad.

Falontani
2019-01-20, 11:08 AM
The most beautiful example of fluff explaining crafting I have found is that on dragonshard airships. It literally talks about creating an arcane matrix, a circuitry of magical conduits through which the bound elemental is forced to flow as to empower the ship with its specific effects.

Really though, read Keith's novels, there is an artificer in the party and she does talk about it. It's well written

Malphegor
2019-01-22, 09:10 AM
I like to think the energy of the spell used in an item's creation is stored in the object. Most of the cost in crafting it goes into preparing the item so that it does not release the magic until the right spelltrigger happens. So maybe mystical sigils drawn in rare inks upon the object, perhaps it is reforged and then doused in basilisk urine, whatever, all of that is to prepare the item so that if you cast the right spell at it at this location and this precise time, rather than the normal effect the item will absorb the wavelength of that spell and become entwined with it, creating a new waveform of potential.

Kinda epic, especailly when it's something like making an Everful Mug.

"I HAVE HARNESSED THE COSMOS ITSELF TO MAKE A REFILLING STUBBY OF BEER!"

Ruethgar
2019-01-22, 12:03 PM
Unless something awesome happens, then the item may manifest magic spontaneously out of belief/connection. for example, a weapon that was used to great effect in a lot of great fights will become better, because everyone connects the weapon with great deeds and everyone expects it will stay that way. that's how artifacts are made, and it's a bit like faith giving power to gods.
So... a legacy weapon.

I would agree that it depends heavily on the setting as to how exactly magic is attached. But generically I imagine magic items to be an intricately woven form of magically energies infused in the fibers of the object to form a naturally strong energy construct like a three dimensional fractal spiral and converting some of the matter into a near plasma state.