PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Help me price an item: Gauntlets of Ballistic Assault

Jon_Dahl
2019-01-20, 11:45 AM
Gauntlets of Ballistic Assault

Whenever you use the charge attack and combine it with a successful long distance jump of at least 10 ft. (which usually requires a DC 10 or DC 20 jump check, see the rules regarding Jump skill), you inflict 1d12 extra damage on a successful hit. Note that the hit must immediately follow the jump.

The normal benefits and hazards of a charge apply.

Faint transmutation; CL ?; Craft Wondrous Item, divine power, jump, magic weapon; Price ? gp; Weight 2 lb.

(These gloves are meant as a little 'gift' for a minotaur PC in my campaign. Hopefully they won't be too expensive.)

zlefin
2019-01-20, 02:14 PM
this looks pretty similar to the feat flying kick or leap attack.

given the typical costing of something that emulates a (decent) feat, I'd say it probably runs around 5k iirc; or whatever the typical price is for an item that gives a decent feat if I'm misremembering.

and make sure to have a clear rule about how it interacts with pounce.

Debihuman
2019-01-21, 04:14 PM
Here are the 3.5 rules for magic items. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingWondrousItems

Can you use lower levels spells? That always reduces the cost. I don't see why you need the spells divine power or magic weapon.

Sounds a lot like a valorous weapon coupled with a jump spell which would only require righteous might and jump.

It would make more sense to put this on boots rather than gauntlets.

Debby

Jon_Dahl
2019-01-22, 07:01 AM
Here are the 3.5 rules for magic items. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingWondrousItems

Can you use lower levels spells? That always reduces the cost. I don't see why you need the spells divine power or magic weapon.

Sounds a lot like a valorous weapon coupled with a jump spell which would only require righteous might and jump.

It would make more sense to put this on boots rather than gauntlets.

Debby

I have read those rules and I couldn't figure out the price.

Debihuman
2019-01-24, 05:13 PM
I have read those rules and I couldn't figure out the price.

Let me walk you through the process.

See the line on Wondrous Item. The right item slot for movement is boots. Using gauntlets would be a wrong body slot (there's a chart in the SRD)

Jump spell is necessary from the wording so that's easy and it's a level Wiz spell so that's cheap. The next is the spell for to add 1d12 damage to the attack? There are options. Initially, it seemed that [/I, a 5th level Cleric spell would fit the bill, but it's a tad overpowered at 5th level. [I]Inflict serious wounds, is better as it is a level 3 Cleric spell.

Since the item doesn't have give you any bonuses, the cost is spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp for a use activated item.

Jump is 1x1x2,000= 2,000 gp

Inflict serious wounds is 3x5 (earliest level a cleric can cast 3rd levels spells) x 2,000= 30,000 gp. [Since this is the highest level spell, this is also how you get the item's aura.]

Total thus far is 32,000 gp. If these were for boots we'd stop there but because this are gauntlets there's an additional cost of x1.5

32,000 x 1.5 = 48,000 gp and that's your total price. Just to fix your item to make it more 3.5 compliant:

Gauntlets of Ballistic Assault

Whenever you use the charge attack and combine it with a successful long distance jump of at least 10 feet (which usually requires a DC 10 or DC 20 Jump check, see the rules regarding Jump skill), you inflict an additional 1d12 points of damage to your target on a successful hit. Note that the hit must immediately follow the jump. The normal benefits and hazards of a charge apply.

Faint necromancy; CL 5; Craft Wondrous Item, inflict moderate wounds, jump; Price 48,000 gp; Weight 2 lbs.

Debby

Unavenger
2019-01-24, 05:57 PM
Rather than price it based on jump and ISW - neither of which it emulates - it's probably better to price it based on its actual utility, rather than the magic item creation guidelines (the same ones which think that at-will cure minor wounds is almost worthless, rather than representing NI out-of-combat healing). An actual use-activated item of ISW, on the other hand, is dealing 3d8+5 extra damage on every attack, and is probably worth closer to the 30,000gp it'll run you (I don't know why you think that boots are more appropriate for dealing damage than gloves are - remember that this item gives you no actual boost to your jumping ability).

I don't think that Leap Attack is a fair comparison either - if you power attack for full, it gives you an extra twenty points of damage (at level 5, the earliest you can take it), which is insane and I don't know why I didn't notice it existing before. Flying kick is certainly a better comparison, but it's also a terrible feat (not least because that kind of damage boost on the charge is something you want to be doing with a lance, not UAS).

The utility of this item is basically a fraction of that of a weapon special quality giving a d6 damage boost on every attack, so I would probably price it around 1k: you get a mediocre damage boost in an unusual circumstance (how often do you jump during your charge?) and probably only once per combat. Certainly, I wouldn't pay more than than 2k for it, and only then if I had nothing better to be doing with the money.

Debihuman
2019-01-24, 08:39 PM
Rather than price it based on jump and ISW - neither of which it emulates - it's probably better to price it based on its actual utility, rather than the magic item creation guidelines (the same ones which think that at-will cure minor wounds is almost worthless, rather than representing NI out-of-combat healing). An actual use-activated item of ISW, on the other hand, is dealing 3d8+5 extra damage on every attack, and is probably worth closer to the 30,000gp it'll run you (I don't know why you think that boots are more appropriate for dealing damage than gloves are - remember that this item gives you no actual boost to your jumping ability).

Because you get to charge (a full round action) and jump AND attack which you normally cannot do. you can make a charge (a full round action) and can make a running jump (since jump is part of the a movement) but you can't also attack as that is is a standard action.

I don't think that Leap Attack is a fair comparison either - if you power attack for full, it gives you an extra twenty points of damage (at level 5, the earliest you can take it), which is insane and I don't know why I didn't notice it existing before. Flying kick is certainly a better comparison, but it's also a terrible feat (not least because that kind of damage boost on the charge is something you want to be doing with a lance, not UAS).

It's expensive because it adds quite a bit of damage EVERY time. This item has unlimited uses. If you could only use it 3 times a day the price would be closer to 24K.

The utility of this item is basically a fraction of that of a weapon special quality giving a d6 damage boost on every attack, so I would probably price it around 1k: you get a mediocre damage boost in an unusual circumstance (how often do you jump during your charge?) and probably only once per combat. Certainly, I wouldn't pay more than than 2k for it, and only then if I had nothing better to be doing with the money.

I have to agree that I don't think this item is worth the price as it won't be very useful.

Debby

Unavenger
2019-01-25, 06:29 AM
Because you get to charge (a full round action) and jump AND attack which you normally cannot do. you can make a charge (a full round action) and can make a running jump (since jump is part of the a movement) but you can't also attack as that is is a standard action.
You get to attack at the end of your charge normally, though...

You're not able to do anything with this item that you wouldn't normally, except for 1d12 damage in oddly-limited circumstances. It grants you no special ability to jump: the requirement that you jump is a restriction

It's expensive because it adds quite a bit of damage EVERY time. This item has unlimited uses. If you could only use it 3 times a day the price would be closer to 24K.

No, the price would be closer to... 1.2K. Because it emulates ILW and that's it (1d8+1 is close enough to 1d12; 3d8+5 is way higher). And that's ignoring the fact that it's only worthwhile under oddly specific circumstances.

I have to agree that I don't think this item is worth the price as it won't be very useful.

Then it needs to be priced in line with how useful it actually is.

Jon_Dahl
2019-01-25, 08:34 AM
48k? Well, that is too hefty. I will go with zlefin's idea but thank you so very much for your input, debbie.