PDA

View Full Version : How to fix Arcane Archer?

Blackflight
2019-01-20, 01:11 PM
I really like the theme of the Arcane archer fighter subclass, but I feel like it has a lot of issues.

The biggest issues are in my opinion that you only get two uses of your arcane shot for the rest of the game and that there is no progression from 3rd level until 18th level. It feels very restrictive to play as you rarely ever get to use the core feature of the class you are playing.

The second issue is that battlemaster seem to be better at ranged combat than an arcane archer. Even the ranger feels stronger as it can utilize hunter´s mark or the horizon walker´s extra 1d8 force damage per turn.

In an attempt to "fix" the subclass I´ve tried to convert it into a ranger subclass and have it use its spell slot for arrows instead of spells but that too felt off in some ways.

I´ve tried to toy around with a lot of different ideas but they all come up as too strong (compared to the other fighter subclases) or simply too boring and restrictive.

If you were to change the Arcane archer subclass how would you do it?

igordragonian
2019-01-21, 01:45 PM
I think that base it on eldritch knight might work. Just use the spell slots for empowered arrows

ngilop
2019-01-21, 11:29 PM
Take a look at my fixed Arcane Archer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19250609&postcount=74) and see if it is up your alley.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-22, 12:17 PM
I've taken a good hard look at it (planning on posting a Let's Fix thread on this in a bit), but my fixes are:

Allowing Wisdom OR Intelligence to be used as the modifier, to compensate for the requirement for Dex to hit and to fit the option to pick Prestidigitation or Druidcraft.
Allowing uses to be gained every time you gain the Extra Attack feature. So you'd have 2 uses at level 3, 3 uses at level 5, 4 uses at level 11, and 5 uses at level 20.
Allowing any ranged weapon attack to use it, so it's not limited to bows, so that it fits a wider variety of builds.

This way, you could be a Kensei who focuses on ranged attacks and has a thousand ways to enhance his attacks, a Druid who enchants wooden javelins with magic, a Bladesinger that casts magic by throwing daggers, etc.

Carl
2019-01-22, 01:41 PM
I assume where talking 3.5 yes? (No one's specified so not wholly sure).

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-22, 01:58 PM
No, it's definitely 5e. 3.5 Arcane Archer can be easily fixed by tacking on an 8-10/10 casting progression.

The 5e version is in many ways a Battle Master spin-off. The effects are more powerful, so you get fewer uses. You could probably up your uses/short rest to parallel superiority die numbers if you weaken them slightly. Say that Banishing Arrow, Piercing Arrow, and Seeking Arrow can't be taken until 10th level, and the others don't do bonus damage until 10th. That should work well enough.

Carl
2019-01-22, 02:05 PM
No, it's definitely 5e. 3.5 Arcane Archer can be easily fixed by tacking on an 8-10/10 casting progression.

The 5e version is in many ways a Battle Master spin-off. The effects are more powerful, so you get fewer uses. You could probably up your uses/short rest to parallel superiority die numbers if you weaken them slightly. Say that Banishing Arrow, Piercing Arrow, and Seeking Arrow can't be taken until 10th level, and the others don't do bonus damage until 10th. That should work well enough.

Ahh, i know almost nothing about 5E though the SRD does now have 5e there o i could dig into it. Thats said at this point i have nothing further to add. Though i'd go a different route for the 3.5 AA myself if i was to tweak it.

Vogie
2019-01-22, 10:56 PM
Remove the bow limitations, Add scaling damage at 11 and 18, and make the arcane shots follow the same availability as Warlock spell slots.

Add some more arrows. This could be done by allowing the existing smite spells to be cast by this subclass only at range, more spells akin to Conjure Barrage/Lightning Arrow/Acid Arrow or just unique new shots loosely based on other spells.

ViridianIIV
2019-01-23, 01:39 AM
Make it easier to acquire magic arrows until they can make their own would be a good start.

Blackflight
2019-01-23, 04:57 AM

Sorry I should have clarified, I had 5e in mind.

Blackflight
2019-01-23, 05:00 AM
I've taken a good hard look at it (planning on posting a Let's Fix thread on this in a bit), but my fixes are:

Allowing Wisdom OR Intelligence to be used as the modifier, to compensate for the requirement for Dex to hit and to fit the option to pick Prestidigitation or Druidcraft.
Allowing uses to be gained every time you gain the Extra Attack feature. So you'd have 2 uses at level 3, 3 uses at level 5, 4 uses at level 11, and 5 uses at level 20.
Allowing any ranged weapon attack to use it, so it's not limited to bows, so that it fits a wider variety of builds.

This way, you could be a Kensei who focuses on ranged attacks and has a thousand ways to enhance his attacks, a Druid who enchants wooden javelins with magic, a Bladesinger that casts magic by throwing daggers, etc.

I like these ideas. A final suggestion is to make the damage progression as follows: 2d6 at 3rd level, 3d6 at 10th level and 4d6 at 18th level. Currently, arcane archers is the only fighter subclass to not have a lvl 10 feature, and I think it would be nice to make the damage scale a bit more smoothly at mid-tier play.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-23, 01:53 PM
I like these ideas. A final suggestion is to make the damage progression as follows: 2d6 at 3rd level, 3d6 at 10th level and 4d6 at 18th level. Currently, arcane archers is the only fighter subclass to not have a lvl 10 feature, and I think it would be nice to make the damage scale a bit more smoothly at mid-tier play.

Be careful with assuming their damage is low.

Assuming you have a Fighter with a 1d10 weapon, a Rogue with a 1d8 weapon, the Rogue hitting Sneak Attack 75% of the time, and both using the same damage modifier:

Level

Fighter

Rogue

The Fighter is already really good at dealing damage, which is why the Battlemaster doesn't really add that much damage, but instead adds other things, like accuracy, versatility or defense. I think that is a good design goal to follow.