PDA

View Full Version : The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb

Darth Ultron
2019-01-20, 01:40 PM
Ylraphon is a small but growing port outside the mouth of the River Lis in the Northern Vast. Ylraphon’s Palisade is a wall of sturdy duskwood trunks lined up in a row, each sharpened to a point. A small wooden platform stands next to each gate. Adventurers often come to Ylraphon to either explore the old ruins of town that now lie in the moor, or to reach deeper into the bogs to chase after old treasure sites.

Just to the east of the town is the Drunken Daggers Tavern, a large drinking establishment on the edge of the wilderness.

At a large table in the common room sits a brown colored humanoid tortoise like person in brown robes. A scroll hanging from her table reads in common 'Adventurers needed'.

The tavern is about half full of folks drinking and having good time, but no one seems to be going anywhere near the above table.

Introduce your characters and lets get started.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?579096-The-Mud-Sorcerer-s-Tomb(OOC)&p=23652614#post23652614

Obscuraphile
2019-01-20, 02:10 PM
Fulgur Tano

Fulgur is a short man with dark hair and dark eyes. He is fairly fit under his loose scholar's robes and at his belt hang telltale signs that he relies on talents other than the physical to make his way in the world. Despite his chosen profession and the aloofness generally associated with wizards, Fulgur is still a young man out to see the world for the first time. He drinks and chats and generally makes friends with the other patrons of the Drunken Daggers.

Eventually though, Fulgur's curiosity gets the better of him and he swaggers over to the table and the creature. Drink in hand he stops a respectful distance away and nods a greeting. "A fine evening to you, friend. I fancy myself a bit of an adventurer. Care to share with me your story?"

violet42
2019-01-20, 02:48 PM
Kalla Sojai

Kalla is a human woman of above average height, in a worn but nevertheless eye-catching entertainer’s outfit. Its bright colors suggest that she uses the lute strapped to her back to make a living— and its wear and tear suggests that that living isn’t very profitable. She enters the tavern wearily and orders a mug of ale, making some small talk with the barkeep and patrons. But soon she narrows her eyes at the tortoise’s table.

Intrigued, she wanders over to where the wizard already is. “Adventurers, eh? I could be one of those.”

Foryn Gilnith
2019-01-20, 04:55 PM
Hunter sits in a corner of the room, savoring the taste of ale as well as the chance to wear nice white civilian clothes instead of the grimy, dust-covered armor she needs for her mercenary work. Work isn't far from her mind, though, as she runs a worried finger over a dent in the wooden shield she carries with her while eyeing the conspicuously large and conspicuously empty table with the tortoisefolk's sign 'Adventurers needed'.

As Hunter leans down to feed a scrap of lamb to her feline companion Drull, she sees a few other people filter over to said table and resolves to join them, pushing aside her plate and mug before heading over. While she smiles and waves greeting to the others at the table, she remains silent, waiting for the others to ask questions and receive answers.

Spiritus
2019-01-20, 05:02 PM
Terentius is a silvery Dragonborn who towers over the other patrons. He wears a breastplate that seems to be made from some kind of reddish gray hide, and wears a wooden shield on his back, painted with the symbol of Bahamut.

A large dog trots in behind him, and he scratches it's ears absently as he surverys the tavern.

When he notices the sign he nods to himself, then makes his way over to it.

Looks promising, and there's already a group forming. Might as well see what the offer is.

Darth Ultron
2019-01-20, 10:31 PM
Aurana Scrollshell "Yes, please sit, I'm Aurana Scrollshell. "

Four of the five chairs at Aurana's table move themselves out from under the table. After waiting a few moments for anyone to sit down, the talking continues:

"Well met to you all.

I'm a sage. My interest is in the Iron Circle. They were a group of elemental sorcerer's active in these parts centuries ago. They specialized in Earth and Water magic, so they were know to many as Mud Sorcerers.

Through my research I have found a map to one of their tombs. But, as a sage, I'm ill equipped to raid a dungeon. That is where you'd come in. I need adventurer's to clear the dungeon tomb.

I don't have any real money....but I was thinking you could just have whatever you wanted from the tomb. Really all I care about are any scrolls or books or such that might be found there. They don't have much value other then to a sage like me. I think that would be fair.

Well, what say you all?"

Obscuraphile
2019-01-20, 11:14 PM
Fulgur Tano

As Fulgur takes his seat an orange tabby appears and hops into his lap. Fulgur scratches the cat behind the ears absentmindedly as the feline glares at Terentius' canine companion. The wizard downs the rest of his mug and plops it back on the table. "A sorcerer's tomb you say? Count me in. Would you be interested in any magical writings we find or just the mundane ones?" he asks. "I serve Boccob lord of all knowledge and archmage of the gods. As such I consider it my sacred duty to catalog any spells I come across. I would be happy to scribe you a copy, free of charge, after the fact."

Fulgur's cat begins to pur loudly and flicks her tail across his nose while digging into the soft wood of the table with her claws. With a disgusted sound the mage pushes the cat off of his lap and calls for another brew while brushing the dusting of orange fur from the front and lap of his robes. I suppose I shouldn't read into the fact that the creature I've chosen to share my soul with is such a conceited sort... Hopefully that's just Ettie's original personality asserting itself.

Spiritus
2019-01-21, 05:45 AM
Nodding in thanks at her courtesy, Trentius unslings his shield and leans it against the too-small chair before awkwardly folding himself into it. Benny lies down at his back, watching the rest of the room intently.
That seems quite reasonable. Is there anything else you can tell us about these Mud Sorcerers? What kinds of minions or traps they favor, perhaps? For that matter, do you know who this particular tomb belonged too? It is best to know as much as possible before venturing into a dungeon.

Foryn Gilnith
2019-01-21, 10:37 AM
Hunter takes a seat and raises her arm to take a sip of ale - perhaps in intuitive sympathy with the drinking wizard - before realizing her mug is back at the corner table with Drull, and in any case it was already empty. Poppycock. She grumbles to herself internally for a while, her mouth drooping into a scowl while the others offer their perspectives, but by the time it's her turn to talk a jaunty grin has returned to her face. "So just to confirm: the only thing you have to actually pay us with is information about the dungeon, information which - by its nature - you need to provide us with before we do any of the work you want from us?"

Hunter leans forward and narrows her eyes suspiciously (though more for rhetorical effect than anything else; not like she'd know how to read the facial expressions of a turtle). "Well, it's always nice to get out of town and back into nature. I swear under the heavens that we will deliver your lore to you." She smirks slightly after saying that last bit, though she quickly resumes holding a neutral positive expression.

Are we going to get an OOC thread, or has that been deemed unnecessary?

violet42
2019-01-21, 12:43 PM
Kalla is taken aback momentarily by the magical chairs, but quickly sits down at the table and feigns comfort. She glances around at the odd gathering also sitting at the table before saying, “Alright, count me interested. Although I’d like to know— what sort of artifacts or riches can we expect to find in this tomb?”

She leans back in the chair, then quickly sits up again as a painful twanging of strings erupts from the lute. Pretending to sip ale from her already-emptied mug, she catches sight of a streak of orange fur and reaches out playfully in an attempt to pet it. “Is this your fearsome arcane familiar?”

Obscuraphile
2019-01-21, 02:13 PM
Fulgur Tano

Ettie walks over and puts her front paws on the seat of Kalla's chair and stretches up to allow for better pets. "I suppose," Fulgur says, still unimpressed with the cat. "She was just a mangy old barn animal before the ritual, hunting mice every day and popping out litters every season." Ettie's head turns to Fulgur and she lays back her ears and hisses at him, before returning her attention to Kanna. "She might actually be older than I am, but you couldn't tell. The magic that forms a familiar bond can apparently not only sustain a creature's life force beyond the limits for its kind but also restore their youth."

At this point Ettie's deep rumbling purr can be heard by everybody at the table. "Oh, and she likes it when she's the center of attention. I've heard stories that the familiars of powerful practitioners can speak. Oh the dread such a thought instills in me."

violet42
2019-01-21, 02:59 PM
Kalla ruffles the cat’s head as she listens to Fulgur talk. “Yes you’re a good kitty... ” She looks at him quizzically when he talks of ritual magic, before saying, “You must be a wizard, huh? I’m a bit of a magician if I do say so myself.” The lute appears in her hands and she picks out a few notes.

The faint outline of an ethereal hand taps Fulgur on the opposite shoulder then returns to petting the cat’s hand. Kalla goes back to listening to the tortoise and smiling smugly as the Mage Hand continues stroking the cat.

Spiritus
2019-01-21, 08:45 PM
Terentius looks the cat over, fascinated. "It seems a closer bond than any I have with Benny, here."He reaches back to scratch between the hound's ears. "He may be stronger for our bond, but I cannot slow or halt his aging, the way you can."

Obscuraphile
2019-01-21, 09:09 PM
Fulgur Tano

“You must be a wizard, huh?”

"Something like that," Fulgur admits with a nod. "Although I get the feeling that my training was rather... unorthodox."

Terentius looks the cat over, fascinated. "It seems a closer bond than any I have with Benny, here."He reaches back to scratch between the hound's ears. "He may be stronger for our bond, but I cannot slow or halt his aging, the way you can."

"I would say a different bond, rather than a closer one. My art focuses on the mind. It would seem that yours elevates the body." Fulgur inspects the beast with a curious look, noting the differences between Benny and an average specimen. The young wizard's face grows suddenly red as he realizes how his comment could be interpreted. "I-I mean no offense of course. That is to say, apart from the aging effects, Ettie is still, physically, the same creature she has always been. But since the ritual the range of her emotions and understanding has broadened significantly!" Fulgur gives Terentius a weak and apologetic smile.

Darth Ultron
2019-01-21, 10:19 PM
Aurana Scrollshell looks over at Fulgur Tano "I care about writings of all types. Your offer to scribe a copy is fine with me."

Looks over to Trentius "Well, I have a list of known Mud Sorcerer's, but I don't know the specific person in this tomb. I would guess it's obvious they favored elemental water and earth magic, and the two of them combined: the so called mud magic. The same is true for elementals. "

Looks over to Hunter "Yes?

Looks over to Kalla "Well, I have no idea what might be in there, but it's safe to assume coins, gems, art...things you'd find in any tomb like this. "

At everyone "I'm glad you all are willing, but I should be sure you all know the risk. The tomb is full of treasure, no doubt, but also traps and monsters and could be deadly. It's, ah, won't be making a Mud Pie, or anything."

Obscuraphile
2019-01-21, 10:28 PM
Fulgur Tano

"The tomb is full of treasure, no doubt, but also traps and monsters and could be deadly. It's, ah, won't be making a Mud Pie, or anything."

"Monsters I believe we can deal with, but the idea of traps concerns me. I believe there are magics which could help us deal with such matters, but they are not yet known to me." Fulgur looks around the table, hoping someone will provide a solution to the problem

violet42
2019-01-21, 10:43 PM
“I’m sure I’d be able to figure something out. I can use my Mage Hand here to disarm any traps we come across— as if centuries-old sorcerers would even have functioning traps anymore!”
Kalla laughs a little bit too loudly, then resumes pretending to drink. Surely we can’t all be spellcasters?

Spiritus
2019-01-21, 10:44 PM
"I would say a different bond, rather than a closer one. My art focuses on the mind. It would seem that yours elevates the body."[/COLOR] Fulgur inspects the beast with a curious look, noting the differences between Benny and an average specimen. The young wizard's face grows suddenly red as he realizes how his comment could be interpreted. "I-I mean no offense of course. That is to say, apart from the aging effects, Ettie is still, physically, the same creature she has always been. But since the ritual the range of her emotions and understanding has broadened significantly!" Fulgur gives Terentius a weak and apologetic smile.
Terentius considers this for a moment, then smiles. I am not offended. Why would I be? Your words are true.He reaches out to the cat. "May I?"

Darth Ultron
2019-01-22, 07:05 AM
Aurana Scrollshell "So, do we have an agreement?" looking at each person for a couple seconds.

violet42
2019-01-22, 11:59 AM
“We certainly do,” says Kalla, smiling. She extends a hand to Aurana.

Obscuraphile
2019-01-22, 01:44 PM
Fulgur Tano

Aurana Scrollshell "So, do we have an agreement?"

"Indeed," Fulgur says raising his mug with a nod towards Scrollshell.

Terentius reaches out to the cat. "May I?"

Ettie answers the question herself by walking over to rub under Terentius' hand. Fulgur again feels a pang of embarrassment at how attention seeking his familiar is, but there's no time to dwell on it. Adventure and learning await!

"Shall we set off at once?"

violet42
2019-01-22, 04:03 PM
"Shall we set off at once?"

Kalla nods. “I see no reason not to.” She turns to Fulgur, Terentius, and Hunter. “Kalla Sojai, human bard—“ she plucks a chord on the lute for dramatic effect— “at your service.”

Foryn Gilnith
2019-01-22, 05:41 PM
"I am named Hunter di Tressym, and it seems I am not the only druid passing through this wood-rimmed town." She takes a probing look at Benny, her green eyes literally flashing with a sickly glow, before calling over her own animal companion with a gesture. "Though, as you can plainly see, our demeanors differ somewhat."

Obscuraphile
2019-01-22, 05:51 PM
Fulgur Tano

"Pleased to meet you," Fulgur says rising to his feet. "I am Fulgur Tano, practitioner of the arcane arts and disciple of the Uncaring God." Turning to Shellscroll, Fulgur screws the cap off the end of his scroll case. "The map, if you please friend, I will keep it safe and promise to return it to you in the same condition in which I received it."

Darth Ultron
2019-01-22, 11:40 PM
Aurana Scrollshell "Well, my map....."

Aurana holds up a scroll. With a couple twists the scroll un rolls itself, then folds inself up into the same of a small dragon.

".......is a Paper Portal Dragon. It can make a portal almost right to the tomb."

Aurana looks over at Fulgur Tano "It is just a construct though. Intelligent, but not wise....and it does need a certian amount of direction. As one who knows the Art, you can direct it. It can understand common and draconic. Mostly it will just watch and record everything on it's self."

Spiritus
2019-01-22, 11:47 PM
Aurana Scrollshell "So, do we have an agreement?" looking at each person for a couple seconds.

Terentius nods, and turns towards Hunter.

"I am named Hunter di Tressym, and it seems I am not the only druid passing through this wood-rimmed town." She takes a probing look at Benny, her green eyes literally flashing with a sickly glow, before calling over her own animal companion with a gesture. "Though, as you can plainly see, our demeanors differ somewhat."

Indeed they do. He looks her over, his eyes catching for a moment on the literal fires burning in hers—then he grins, exposing too-sharp teeth. "Nature is big enough for the both of us, after all."

And I'm certainly in no position to be throwing stones over how anyone looks, myself. He thinks a trifle ruefully.

Obscuraphile
2019-01-23, 12:19 AM
Fulgur Tano

The young mage fumbles with his scroll case, his excitement causing him to cross-thread the cap twice before he is able to put it away properly. "Fascinating!" he exclaims leaning closer to the paper dragon. "I wonder to what level of detail it..." Fulgur trails off as he sees his words appear in the folds of the dragon. "Oh! Marvelous!" The wizard's excitement is like that of a child and he barely restrains himself from clapping his hands and bouncing on the balls of his feet.

Scooping Ettie up, Fulgur takes a breath and regains some of his composure and focus. "Now how does this work, exactly?" he says out loud but in a voice and manner that makes it clear he is thinking to himself, and possibly to the feline in his arms. "Is it like concentrating on a spell? Like casting one?Does it simply require an understanding of magic and the draconic language?"

Fulgur clears his throat and speaks in a firm voice, staring intently at the paper dragon. "Карта, покажи мне дорогу!"

Trying a variety of activation methods, regardless of whether everyone else is ready to go or if in the bar is a great place to be doing this. Fulgur has gotten a bit caught up in the moment:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
And also simply delivering a command in Draconic for the map to work its magic.

violet42
2019-01-23, 05:02 PM
Kalla stares amusedly at the curious map, and eventually stands up in a motion to leave. She keeps one eye on the mage speaking in a foreign tongue. She can’t quite understand it though.

Does Kalla notice Hunter’s eyes flash or Terentius’ teeth?

Spot: [roll0]

Darth Ultron
2019-01-23, 10:19 PM
Aurana Scrollshell "It works like commanding a construct, or any summoned creature.

There is nothing to ''concentrate" on, and no spellshave been cast to use spellcraft

Arcana: Paper Dragons: are constructs made from paper, paper dragons look indistinguishable from normal, inanimate pieces of paper until they animate, folding themselves perfectly into draconic shapes and using their tiny papery fangs to bite at their enemies

Kalla does notice Hunter’s eyes flash or Terentius’ teeth.

Spiritus
2019-01-24, 02:59 AM
Terentius rises as well.
"We had best get a move on. The sooner we get started, the sooner we get compensated. Fulgur, will you do the honors?" He asks the excited mage.

Terentius's teeth are the least notable thing about him, honestly. But that's what happens when you're a Dragonborn of Bahamut.

Obscuraphile
2019-01-24, 04:31 PM
Fulgur Tano

Fulgur frowns and tries again in the common tongue. "Take us to the dungeon," he commands the construct.

Darth Ultron
2019-01-24, 10:01 PM
Aurana Scrollshell watches silently.

The paper dragon unfolds itself and falls to the floor, now a rough five foot wide circle of paper.

Obscuraphile
2019-01-24, 11:15 PM
Fulgur Tano

Fulgur blinks and glances at his new allies. "Well, that's not exactly what I expected... Here goes." Holding Ettie close, Fulgur steps inside the circle.

violet42
2019-01-25, 02:55 PM
Watching Fulgur step in, Kalla also walks into the circle. She looks to Aurana quizzically. “You’re sure this is how we’re supposed to do this?”

Spiritus
2019-01-25, 07:19 PM
Terentius follows Kalla into the circle.

"He seems skilled enough." He tells her.

Darth Ultron
2019-01-25, 07:51 PM
With a flash of white light the tavern and Aurana Scrollshell and the whole town are gone.

The light only lasts a moment, but when it fades...you can all see your somewhere else.

The area around are jagged rocky mountains with sharp peaks. Many pine trees grow across the area, along with smaller plants. There is no obvious signs of any civilization nearby.

A butte of rock juts out of the stone mountain to the south, and on that rock face you see a block of gray gannet set flush against the stone. It's about seven feet tall, and five feet wide. The block is etched with small swirls, and set in platinum in the middle are three words: "Errukiz", "Ezdrubal" and "Elomcwe".

The paper portal dragon folds itself back up into it's dragon like shape, then folds it's wings down on it's back, and walks over to stand behind Fulgur.

Obscuraphile
2019-01-25, 09:35 PM
Fulgur Tano

Fulgur glances around then down at the paper dragon. "Umm, I believe it worked," he says a little anti-climatically. Unslinging his backpack, Fulgur tucks Ettie into it so that her head peaks out the top. He then knots the drawstring so that the pack isn't too loose but also loose enough that it isn't strangling his poor cat. Then very carefully resettling his pack on his shoulders, Fulgur pins back the sides of his cloak so that his arms are free for spellwork.

Ettie gives a soft meow and Fulgur snaps his fingers as if remembering something and reaches back to pat the cat on her head, which is peaking out over his shoulder. The magician's face becomes a mask of concentration as his arms flick out in a precise series of motions culminating in Fulgur muttering, "Osyazayemyy svet!" There is a brief red glow as some of the ambient light seems to solidify around Fulgur's torso while the tips of Ettie's ears glow as well.

With that out of the way, Fulgur smiles and wanders over to investigate the writing on the block.

That's one casting of Extended Mage Armor: +4 AC for Fulgur and Ettie, duration 8 hours.

For the words on the rock, Fulgur speaks Common, Dwarvish, Draconic, Elvish, and Goblin. If it's not any of those he will make a Decipher Script Check: [roll0]

Darth Ultron
2019-01-26, 01:25 AM
The three words are Dwarvien words: Errukiz:Treachery, Ezdrubal:Sloth and Elomcwe:Foolishness.

violet42
2019-01-26, 01:44 PM
Kalla shakes herself as she takes in the new environment. “I guess it really did work.” As the wizard goes to examine the words, she glances into the forest surrounding them, looking for signs of life.

She squints up at the mysterious words, then turns to Fulgur. “Can you read that language? What does it say?”

Spot check to see if there are any animals/people around: [roll0]

Darth Ultron
2019-01-26, 03:54 PM
Spot: Other then the group around you, you sure don't see any people nearby.

The area is filled with animals, as is typical in the wild. Plenty of birds of a couple different types can be seen in the air, in trees or hopping along the ground. A couple of squirrels runs along. Rabbits hops along. And the fair share of insects.

violet42
2019-01-26, 04:10 PM
Seeming content with her search, Kalla nevertheless follows Fulgur’s lead and allows her lute to vanish from her hands. It reappears on her back, hanging from its strap forlornly.

Spiritus
2019-01-27, 02:02 AM
Terentius shakes himself for a moment, and checks to make sure all his limbs are still intact. "Well that was bracing" he mutters as he walks up to Fulgur.

"Can you make it out, Fulgur? It seems like gibberish to me."

Obscuraphile
2019-01-27, 01:06 PM
Fulgur Tano

"Huh, it's dwarvish. A list of vices or character flaws perhaps: treachery, sloth, and foolishness. I wonder what such a thing is doing here of all places. I didn't think that dwarves had much to do with sorcerers..." Fulgur shrugs and jots down a quick description of the stone in a journal as well as recording the dwarven words.

violet42
2019-01-27, 02:04 PM
“Maybe the dwarves WERE the sorcerers, or they’ve invaded the tomb since the sorcerers’ absence. Maybe they were trying to warn such flawed people against entering their magic dwarf lair!” Kalla suggests.

“Or maybe it’s nothing.”

Spiritus
2019-01-27, 03:30 PM
"Maybe. Or maybe the Sorcerers became undead, and had to be sealed away." He shrugs.

"Regardless, it seems likely to me that we need to do something to to it to open the tomb."

violet42
2019-01-27, 04:53 PM
At the mention of undead, Kalla touches the amulet covered by the neck of her robes instinctively. “Well, whatever they are now, I doubt they’re strong enough to keep us out.”

Knowledge (Arcana) check on the writing: [roll0]

Darth Ultron
2019-01-27, 09:32 PM
There is nothing magical about the words. If they were explosive runes, they would have gone off when read.

Obscuraphile
2019-01-28, 05:17 PM
Fulgur Tano

"Undead dwarf sorcerers..." Fulgur shudders suddenly not entirely convinced that this was a good idea, but the mystery of the words distracts him quickly. "Perhaps the tomb requires some kind of pass phrase to enter, and these words are a clue?" The young mage scratches his head, stumped. "But I can't imagine how this all fits together..."

Putting away his journal, Fulgur approaches the runes, examining them closely for imperfections or differences. He reaches out to touch the letters, running his finger along the platinum, tracing their shapes.

Search check on the words for anything unusual, perhaps a button or maybe some of the letters are shaped differently concealing some kind of message or hint.
[roll0]

Edit: These rolls bode incredibly poorly for our first combat :smallbiggrin:

violet42
2019-01-28, 07:49 PM
Kalla notices Fulgur inspecting the writing, and begins to do the same with the door. Maybe there’s some hint of how it should be opened that I can find?

Search check on the door: [roll0] edit: Kalla is stunned to find out that this is, in fact, a door.

Darth Ultron
2019-01-28, 09:01 PM
As you touch the letters, you can feel they are not set tight in the stone, and in fact they can all be pushed inward slightly and stay pushed in for a short time, then pop back out and reset. The letters of the word Elomcwe(Foolishness) are slightly more worn then the rest of the letters of the other two words.

Obscuraphile
2019-01-28, 09:23 PM
Fulgur Tano

Fulgur begins to chuckle. First a little, then a lot. Soon the young mage is doubled over holding his sides. "Wh-why yes!" he gasps between bouts of mirth. "I do feel rather foolish." Gradually Fulgur recovers and begins trying to explain his reaction, and the joke, to his companions, butchering the delivery and making it quite clear that he has no concept of comedic timing.

"Don't you see. The dwarven word "foolishness" is an anagram of the common word "welcome." These letters are our key to the tomb!" Fulgur glances around growing increasingly awkward. I must be on edge, he thinks to himself as his face turns a light pink.

"Ahum, my point is I can open the door. Are we ready to face the hypothetical undead dwarven sorcerers contained within?" Fulgur gives everybody a moment to make their final preparations and then he spells welcome with the platinum letters.

violet42
2019-01-28, 09:57 PM
Kalla gives a small smile. Although she has no clue what the key is that Fulgur found, she understands that it’s THE key, and tries to nod along and pretend she understands the wizard’s jumbled words.

“Yes, I think I’m re— I think we’re ready. Lead on, magic man.”

Spiritus
2019-01-29, 02:28 AM
Terentius claps Fulgur on the back "Breathe easy, man. If you can find us a way to the tomb, no one will begrudge a few chortles" he grins toothily at the mage.

He squints a little at closer at the words, trying to see what Fulgur did.

Search: [roll0]

Edit:
I confess I can't make it out, but are you saying the door is some kind of sliding tile puzzle?

Darth Ultron
2019-01-29, 08:11 PM
The paper portal dragon sits down on the ground behind Fulgur Tano.

Obscuraphile
2019-01-29, 08:19 PM
Fulgur Tano

I confess I can't make it out, but are you saying the door is some kind of sliding tile puzzle?

"Something like that," Fulgur says with a nod pressing the letters W-E-L-C-O-M-E.

Darth Ultron
2019-01-30, 07:32 PM
As soon as all the letters in 'welcome' are pressed, there is a slight thump...and the stone block sinks into the ground, and reveals a stone staircase the goes down into the darkness.

violet42
2019-01-30, 07:57 PM
“Well, there’s our entrance.” Kalla assesses the others hesitantly before speaking again. “Perhaps we ought to figure out who goes in first, in the case of traps or undead dwarves. I for one am willing to, ah, humble myself enough to walk towards the back.”

Obscuraphile
2019-01-30, 08:11 PM
Fulgur Tano

"Perhaps our furry companions should lead the way. Their senses are sharper than most," Fulgur suggests as he draws a sunrod from his belt. "Allow this wizard to shed some light," he says with a smile striking the rod's tip upon the stone before pitching it down the staircase.

Spiritus
2019-01-31, 06:54 AM
"I shall be in front, then."Terentius says. "And our companions can go ahead of us." Unslining the large shield from his back, he straps it carefully on to his arm, then whistles. "Benny! Lead!" As the dog trots ahead, he follows it into the tomb.

Foryn Gilnith
2019-01-31, 12:33 PM
Hunter squints at Kalla and Fulgur, narrowing her eyes in anger before remembering the virtues of patience and releasing the expression. "I mean no disrespect to Terentius, but I am not willing to send my cat into the thick of any danger I would not brave myself," she spits, while jogging up to take pace directly alongside Benny. "And a little more to the point, Drull here is trained to keep out of sight more than he is to catch sight of others. Pray keep him company; I will stand aside the dog."

Drull, for his part, shares none of his master's human anxieties, lazily loping forward while sparing a curious glance toward the smaller feline that accompanies Fulgur.

I live! It seems that I never actually finished up equipment though; I'll get that sorted once my internet returns and I'm not posting from a phone.

NiveanDauphin
2019-01-31, 02:09 PM
I've been here the whole time, but waiting. Am I right ahead, new born and ready to negotiate a place on the team?

Darth Ultron
2019-01-31, 09:03 PM
The stone stairs go down, three hundred feet. The walls and ceiling are solid, smooth stone.

At the bottom the stairs is a small landing making a plain ten by ten room. Directly across from the bottom of the stairs is a stone door on a pivot, slightly open at a slight angle.

Obscuraphile
2019-02-01, 12:20 AM
Fulgur Tano

Fulgur blinks at Hunter then glances at Drull, but falls in line spells at the ready.

Upon arriving at the foot of the stairs Fulgur recovers his sunrod and tucks it in his belt. Glancing around he says, "Well this does seem rather dwarvish, although I do wonder why anyone left the door ajar."

Spiritus
2019-02-01, 04:57 AM
Terentius nods to her and smiles ruefully. "As you wsh" he says."I meant no offense"

Turning to Fulgur, he responds. "A trap, perhaps? Or maybe someone was here ahead of us, and forgot to lock up behind them."

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-01, 09:52 AM
Fitzillixizis

My life is full of so many choices, now that the yolk is dry off my scales and I found the cache of gear my mother left me. I will need a lair, supplies, then to start work on followers.

From the outer door to my nesting chamber, the one I left open in case I need to flee, comes a sound. Race memory provides a likely answer: Adventurers! A dragon's only natural predator.

Racial memory and my own thoughts brainstorm ways to survive the threat. The only place to flee is into the unknown of this dungeon. Fighting seems too dangerous while I am barely yet born. A third option appears as my fading connection to the collective subconscious of dragonkind supplies me with one last gift: the ability to speak the common tongue of this place.

What to say, though!? Asking them to serve me seems the most natural, but intuition leads me to suspect it is the wrong tactic. Perhaps a simple introduction, to judge the tone.

I am Fitzillixizis, the mighty Sapphire Dragon! I wish to parley with thee in hopes of securing an alliance!

Squeaks a six inch tall infant wyrmling made out of living blue crystal.

Foryn Gilnith
2019-02-01, 01:59 PM
Hunter puts her hands on her hips and leans forward to peer at the door, trying to figure out if there's anything more to this landing than smooth, unmarked stone. "It might have been Aurana's doing? She had to have tested the map somehow before hiring us, and it wouldn't be surprising if she took a quick look before deciding she'd need to bring outsiders in." Her eyes drift to the opening in the doorway as she slowly walks to be able to peer through it, only to freeze at the sound of a squeaking little dragon.

She whips her head back to the rest of the party and whispers "Friend or foe, do you think?" For her own part, she raises a tentative thumbs-up, though the intent of the gesture is less than completely clear.

Obscuraphile
2019-02-01, 03:07 PM
Fulgur Tano

A dragon?! Here?! Fulgur pushes roughly past his companions to get a better look. He has trouble hiding his initial disappointment at Fitzillixizis' size but quickly recovers as he marvels at the living crystal of his tiny body. Fulgur barely hears Hunter he is so fascinated by the creature before him. "What terms do you demand, oh scion of corundum?"

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-01, 03:35 PM
Fulgur Tano

"What terms do you demand, oh scion of corundum?"

Fitzillixizis

I wish for we, together, to form a host to raid this dungeon I find myself borne unto. We may share equal of the spoils, saving I may keep any territory claimed by our band as my own. I will use all my might to assist thee physically in the clash with the denizens of this wild place.

Thou must vow, however, to deal justly with any wise enough to plead be conquered instead of annihilated, for mercy to the dominated is among the tenets of my kind.

Also, should another Dragon ask, thou must lie and claim I am thy leader and I could destroy you all. I mean this not as a threat or an insult, thou understand, but simply because they will believe this regardless and attempting to clarify that there exists a free alliance would serve only to diminish us all in their eyes

I strike my most dominant pose as I offer my initial bid for mercy from the fearsome adventurers.

violet42
2019-02-01, 10:00 PM
Kalla restrains a smile behind her hand at the miniature dragon as it makes its demands. As it finishes, she squats down and pets its small sapphire head. “Well. As the most fearsome predator known to your kind, I shall humbly humble myself with utmost humility in thy name.” She does a deep curtsy in mock solemnity as she rises and subtly gives a thumbs up to Hunter.

violet42
2019-02-01, 10:08 PM
Does Kalla know anything about baby sapphire dragons, or dragons in general? Knowledge (nature): [roll0]
edit: wow

Darth Ultron
2019-02-01, 11:51 PM
Sapphire dragons are True Dragons of the Gem Dragon Line. They tend to be territorial and antisocial. They preferred to lair in deep, rocky caves and often kept large spiders in their home as a food source. They breathe a cone of sonic energy which harmed opponents and caused them to panic. Deep dragons, drow, dwarves, mind flayers, and aboleth are great enemies of sapphire dragons.

Dragon eggs vary in size depending on the kind of dragon. Dragons sometimes leave their eggs untended. In such cases, the female takes great care to keep the nest hidden. She or her mate (or both of them) may visit the area containing the nest periodically, but they take care not to approach the nest too closely unless some danger threatens the eggs. A newly hatched dragon is called a hatching.

violet42
2019-02-02, 12:43 AM
“Listen, I’ve done some weirdly in-depth research on dragons in my time, and I can safely say that he is not a threat.”

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-02, 03:03 AM
“Listen, I’ve done some weirdly in-depth research on dragons in my time, and I can safely say that he is not a threat.”

Fitzillixizis

Not a threat! I bristle at the implied insult to my power. I try to pose even more impressively. However, I, having called the parley, must concede both the truth of the assessment and that the humanoid meant to merely testify to the reliable and benign nature if my kind, compared to the selfish or judgemental ilks more common on this plane.

I find that way of describing me deeply offensive. However, it is true that I am not hostile and am a creature innately trustworthy to my given word. So may I assure thee I forgive thy impertinence and that my offer is sincere. May I take thy continued peacable behavior as assent to my offer?

Foryn Gilnith
2019-02-02, 10:28 AM
Hunter nods to Kalla and murmurs "Guess that's quorum." to herself before crouching down to pet Drull and pick some dust out of his fur. She has some obvious questions about 'the denizens of this wild place' - especially if it's already known they may be intelligent enough to offer surrender - but under the circumstances it seems best to leave any questioning to Fulgur.

violet42
2019-02-02, 11:13 AM
I find that way of describing me deeply offensive. However, it is true that I am not hostile and am a creature innately trustworthy to my given word. So may I assure thee I forgive thy impertinence and that my offer is sincere. May I take thy continued peacable behavior as assent to my offer?

“Oh! My apologies, I didn’t mean to imply that you are not capable of a threat. I only meant that you are not hostile to us, and such we gladly accept your offer.”

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-02, 01:09 PM
Fitzillixizis

The tiny dragon bows graciously and pretend themself.

Shall we be off? I regret I know little more for certain of what is beyond.

violet42
2019-02-02, 01:39 PM
“You’re welcome to join us, but I should warn you that there are probably monsters and powerful arcane artifacts in this cave.”

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-02, 04:15 PM
Fitzillixizis
I should hope so! My parents surely left my egg near a suitable habitat! How could a dragon live without riches, and what home would be worth having if no one covets it?

Spiritus
2019-02-02, 04:37 PM
Terentius

A fine ambition, Fitzillixizis! He grins, nodding the the party's new Ally. "More aid is always welcome! Shall we proceed?"

Obscuraphile
2019-02-02, 04:41 PM
Fulgur Tano

As the conversation goes back and forth, Fulgur pulls out a small length of string and his journal. Attempting subtlety he sets about taking notes on Fitzillixizis' mannerisms as well as any mentions of dragon behavior. He also tries to take measurements using the string, but without making it obvious what he is doing. "Of course, we have no doubt of your word, mighty dragon. And no doubt of your strength and skill! Clearly your coming is a blessing by the gods... How recent a blessing would that be? If I might ask?"

Fulgur will continue to ply Fitzillixizis in this way trying to tease out details of the dragon's abilities and physical attributes as the party continues into the tomb.

Soooo, who wants to be the one to open the creepy, possibly dangerous, stone door? NO IT! :smallbiggrin:

violet42
2019-02-02, 06:11 PM
"Shall we proceed?"

“Yes, that would be wise. But a slightly ajar door makes me wonder if there’s a trap we should watch out for.” Kalla attempts to peer through the crack.

violet42
2019-02-02, 06:16 PM
Spot check through the crack in the door: [roll0]

Darth Ultron
2019-02-02, 08:34 PM
Though the crack you can see the stone floor of the room, but that single spot looks clear.

violet42
2019-02-02, 09:29 PM
Kalla looks back at the party. “I don’t see anything, shall I try opening the door a little more?”

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-02, 10:00 PM
I will be ready to pounce on anything that might attack from the other side! I declare in most assuring and authoritative voice.

stand in her square at the door, so as to avoid an attack of op by a medium or smaller enemy that attacks her when I counter-attack.

Spiritus
2019-02-03, 04:10 AM
Terentius moves about ten feet back up the stairs. "Best not to risk all of us at once" he says.

Darth Ultron
2019-02-05, 09:13 PM
The walls, ceiling and floor of the next room are all made of dark green marble. The room is long, 150 feet to the end, and 50 feet wide. Two pools of crystal clear water, each 70 feet long and 10 feet wide go down the middle of the room. Each pool is about five feet deep, and the bottom of both pools are filled with bright white humanoid bones.

At the far end of the room is another pool of water, just ten feet around. Above the pool hangs a large metal bell.

A stairway leads down from beyond the far pool.

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-05, 10:47 PM
Fitzillixizis

Refuse and death. Something ate here, something that is, as far as I can tell, is still nearby.

If I fly, I likely can avoid disturbing anything. At very least, I could outrun the thing. But I have a warband. My followers are relying on me.

This is a hunting ground, I whisper. I will go first. Sneak past once I am to the other side

Fitzillixizis considers theemself the party "tank" and the leader.
They are at least the physically toughest member of our group, though that is largely coincidence.

As a player, I suspect that they are only half right. This is probably an execution ground where victims are killed by exposure to something amphibious. But Fitzillixizis, with no cultural background, relevant knowledge, or an Int bonus, is unlikely to figure out that much

Edit: Move Silently: 1d20+2

violet42
2019-02-06, 02:32 PM
“Do we really want the newborn going first?...Alright Fitz, we’ll watch to make you sure you get across safely. I’ll follow you when I see it’s clear.”

Obscuraphile
2019-02-06, 04:31 PM
Fulgur Tano

Fulgur raises a hand and begins to say something but since he is at the back of the group he doesn't get it out in time to halt Fitzillixizis. Instead he merely watches with a grim expression and magic ready at his lips and fingers.

Spiritus
2019-02-06, 05:54 PM
"Well, it's pretty, I'll give it that." Terentius says. When he sees Fitz fly into the room, he shakes his head, and tries to see if there are any creatures lurking in wait.
spot[roll0]

Darth Ultron
2019-02-06, 09:31 PM
Does not spot any creatures in the room.

Once Fitzillixizis flies, alone, 120 feet across the room: the large metal bell rings. And the smaller pool of water starts to bubble and churn.

Obscuraphile
2019-02-06, 09:44 PM
Fulgur Tano

Fulgur raises a hand in an imperious gesture. "Fitzillixizis, get back!" he calls as he summons up the magic locked in place in his mind. Fulgur calls up the energy, free of any form and puts it to work in a spell that he has cast so many times he could do it in his sleep.

Using signature spell to convert my 1st level preparation of Mage Armor into Magic Missile, and readying it to be cast on anything that emerges from any of the three pools.

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-06, 11:27 PM
Fitzillixizis

Well, that could have been worse. There was probably no getting around this thing, and at least it is going to be looking at me first. That should let the adventurers get into flanking position.

Fitzillixizis moves to 40 feet from the churning pool.

Move to flank!

Darth Ultron
2019-02-06, 11:43 PM
Rising up out of the far pool is a humanoid-like shape, made completely of mud.

violet42
2019-02-08, 07:57 PM
“Fitz, watch ou—!“

Oh dear Pelor, it’s an undead mud dwarf zombie.

Kalla pulls the crossbow from her pack and loads a bolt into it, aiming for the mud creature. She shoots.

Attack w/ Light Crossbow: [roll0]

Spiritus
2019-02-10, 06:11 AM
Kill it, Benny! Terentius shouts.

so I'm trying to figure out what the heck this is even as I direct my dog to take it out.
initiative: [roll0]
Knowledge (nature): [roll1]
Handle animal: [roll2]

violet42
2019-02-10, 12:22 PM
Kalla initiative: [roll0]

NiveanDauphin
2019-02-10, 09:07 PM
Fitz prepares to pounce!

[roll0]

Darth Ultron
2019-02-10, 10:28 PM
[roll0]

You can be sure that the mud creature is in no way a natural creature and part of nature.