PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sorcerers with Arcane Bond-Object: What use is a Wand?

kittyabbygirl
2019-01-20, 11:55 PM
Certain bloodlines give access to the Arcane Bond feature to the Sorcerer, with the rules on familiars and their benefits being quite clear. My Sorceress will be gaining the Arcane Bond feature through the Vestige Bloodline, which mandates she choose Bonded Object. Thematically, I'd prefer a wand, but I can't seem to find a viable use a Sorcerer could get from a wand that she can only fill with spells she already knows. The only non-spell form of a wand that I've been able to find is the 3rd Party Rusting Antenna item.

What does a Sorcerer stand to gain from choosing a wand as her bonded object?

Crossblooded Imperious/Divine(3pp) Sorcerer gaining Eldritch Heritage into the Vestige Bloodline, has the False Priest/Razmiran Priest Archetype as well.

Geddy2112
2019-01-21, 12:10 AM
A wand is not great for a bonded object, but it would give you a utility spell/wand for something on your list that is not needed as a known spell. The other option would be have a wand that is a non sorcerer spell and UMD to activate it.

kittyabbygirl
2019-01-21, 12:39 AM
but it would give you a utility spell/wand for something on your list that is not needed as a known spell. The other option would be have a wand that is a non sorcerer spell and UMD to activate it.

You can create a wand of any 4th-level or lower spell that you know. -Craft Wand Feat

Did Arcane Bond let you get around crafting requirements? I know the Impossible Bloodline had special rules for crafting, but I didn't think it covered all sorcerers. For non sorcerer spells, what advantage does making it your bonded object have rather than just keeping it?

grarrrg
2019-01-21, 01:22 AM
-Craft Wand Feat

Did Arcane Bond let you get around crafting requirements? I know the Impossible Bloodline had special rules for crafting, but I didn't think it covered all sorcerers. For non sorcerer spells, what advantage does making it your bonded object have rather than just keeping it?

There are ways around Crafting requirements.

You don't have to be the one to have crafted the wand you are Bonding with.

As Sorcerers level they can swap out a spell known here and there. So eventually you might not know the spell that matches the wand you crafted.

And now that I've read the Vestige Bloodline:
"At 1st level, you gain an arcane bond, ... with an object constructed by a long-lost civilization."
You most certainly are NOT the one to craft the Wand you are bonding with. So the above is moot.

Powerdork
2019-01-21, 01:31 AM
What you could do is insert into the wand a utility spell getting hedged out for better options by your even-level spell retraining. Retain the ability to cast minor image or alter self more times than you will ever need to (in a day, no less), and have a more universally handy option subbed in to your true spells known.
Or you can be content to have a wand and cast a sorcerer spell in addition to what you could do previously. That's a handier trick than most classes get, no?