PDA

View Full Version : Ascendants 3.5 IC

ShedShadow
2019-01-21, 05:13 AM
@Lioslaith @Frozen @Frendle @Stevesciguy

In the aeons that have spanned the multiverse, there have always been times when balance had to be restored to the various planes. Balance came in the form of gods and demons, princes and kings and paragons and rebellions. However, balance also moves slower. Balance was made with the freezing of a planet, the destruction of another, the convergence of the nodes of magic and the creation of species before untold. This second balance goes slowly, like the ticking of a clock, step by step, but it goes lethergically slow. Imperceptible to the eye of mortals, and often gods, does the balance of the multiverse seek itself again. Gods die, demons are bound and forgotten and rebellions and princes whither. But the balance of the cosmere cannot be stopped. If one force is stopped, another will arise to restore the balance. Such it has always been in the multiverse.

But there are those beings who place themselves outside the multiverse, expanding their perception to the boundaries beyond, where chaos and nothingness rule, where only personal power keeps the things around you in their form. These beings, the primordial gods, the titans, the seekers of the void, are outside the multiverse, and not subject to the laws of balance or opposition. They are only subject to the law of power.

The law of power is this: if you can, and you cannot be stopped, then you may.

Wherever you find yourselves, a Tiger with a penchant for seeking out the residual power of great beings, an Angel seeking a way above its god, a small vampire who crafts reality from his mind, and a Lich seeking to truly master the secrets of life and death; each of you, no matter what you are currently doing, hear a very distinct gong. Then, a sealed scroll materializes in front of you. The seal has the letter 'A' stamped on it, and floats, awaiting you to grab it.

The scroll reads as follows.

Dear Friend,

We congratulate you on performing the ritual of ascendancy successfully. Whatever it is that you seek, for such a thing only you know, you are invited to visit those who you from now shall call brothers and sisters. In the ages of immortality before you there will come many a time that you may find yourself bored, or simply in need of company. This is why we are here. We, your brethren and sisters, have seen many ages come and go and are of one mind when it comes to ascendancy.

If you wish to know more about what awaits, sign below.

________________________________________(You sign here)

That is all the scroll says. Upon finishing your reading, a feather and ink also materialize, waiting for your signature.

Feralgeist
2019-01-21, 04:39 PM
Beyond a small university and subdued but busy town a brooding castle writhing with shadows and flitting with flying shapes around it's battlements sits upon a craggy hill with shifting flickering paths. Within the halls pale and finely dressed night-eyed attendants silently go about their tasks ignoring the maelstrom of illusory figures reveling cackling and running through the passageways. In the grand hall sits a massive and withered devourer delivering a sermon. A host of what look like goblinoid werewolves wreathed in shadows kneel in front of their dire preacher.

Far below in a secluded bunker, Victor lies upon the bare soil from his homeland thinking about magic when the gong sounds. An eyebrow is raised, commands are telepathically given and victor quietly reads the letter as the face on the wall nods and fades away. Victor materializes with the note still hovering before him in the main hall and beckons at a goblin which scuttles forward and takes the paper. A projection of Victor materializes and takes the note from the goblin and the writing tools from the air. It signs Victors name with a flourish and vanishes. Victor watches the hovering note suspciously.

<Thrax. We're going. I want to know who sent this. Put the worms on it.>

The face on the wall appears and stretches forward. For a second a flash of something massive and winged appears and superimposes itself upon Victor before fading into him.

Lioslaith
2019-01-22, 07:26 AM
Raphael blinked in surprise as the parchment appeared in front of him. Interesting, he thought. He gathered up the scroll and pen and ink then made his way down the winding staircase to the kings chambers. After a soft knock he heard the summons to enter and did so. The king was having a late night snack as was his habit and smiled as Raphael entered. "My firend, I know you do not sleep but something is afoot if you felt the need to bother me with it this late." Raphael nodded and told the king of the scroll. After a few moments of silence the king asked, "Does this mean you will be leaving my service, old friend?" Raphael's deep voice spoke quietly, "I know not what it means, but I thought it best to let you know should I suddenly disappear." He paused again, "The Knights of the Raven will still be here and so will Isabel, though I doubt you can compel her to stay in the castle..." they both chuckled at that.

Standing up Raphael nodded to his king and took his leave after a bit more banter and meaningless conversation. Once in the hallway he took out the scroll and proceeded to sign it. Let's see where this new adventure takes us shall we.

If nothing immediately happens he will mentally inform Isabel of what is going on.

Stevesciguy
2019-01-22, 03:57 PM
Deep under the earth, at the center of an undead blight he created to ward off nuisances, The Unnamed draws his sword with his right hand and prepares a dark spell with his left. On at least two occasions within the last century, he had had paladins announce their presence by bashing their weapon against their shield, so they may face him in "honorable combat."

Instead of a moronic paladin, however, he came face to face with a hovering scroll. Pinpoints of green flame quickly scan the page.

"Curioussss" hisses from the depths of the lich's skull.

"A summons, but from who?"

The lich's voice takes on a mocking tone:
"Xelphas, what do you think of thiss?"

An angry voice emanates from the lich's staff, leaning against the table:
"How should I know, lich? The only knowledge I have is that you stole this from me."

"Nonsenssse, all I took was your soul, and that beautiful jewel of yours. Take it up with the gnome, if you want to make accusationsss. He took far more than either of us could know."

The lich quickly gathers his possessions, before turning back to the scroll, taking hold of the quill:
"A risk, yes, but a calculated one."

With these words, he signs the scroll.

Frendle
2019-01-24, 08:14 PM
Gralzitine shifts a bit on the rock as he watches the just punishment being meted out by his construct, his fangs protrude through his smile. “When I ask you for information concerning great and glorious figures of the past, you give me exactly and completely that, yes?” The Rakshasa leans forward and punctuates his point with a mental command to his construct who smacks the elder and battered scribe in the back of the head.

Gralzitine stands up and, clasping his clawed hands behind his back, strolls toward the nearby elm tree and examines a leaf. Subtle changes to his body reveal that others are listening and prompting his interrogation of the Lore Master. He turns back toward the man, “Now, let us begin again, what you can tell me…”

His sentence hangs in midair as though caught on the scroll which suddenly appears floating before him, breaking his focus on the construct who slumps awkwardly beside the scholar.

“What is this?” he wonders out loud as he reaches for it. “A parchment great one.” Responds the abused man from the ground. Gralzitine looks over the parchment at him, then with a casual gesture releases a bolt of flame which burns the man, and any knowledge he might possess, to the ground.

"Idiot" Gralzitine mutters, then examines the message as the construct dissolves into nothing, no longer held together by the Binders mind.

Gralzitine’s face contorts and after a brief internal struggle, as faint howls of protest are heard, the semblance of three figures, a young man, a woman and a bearded brute depart his body. Then he gestures in the air before him, drawing an intricate circle surrounded by glyphs which glow with arcane power. A bloody figure exits the summoning and melds with his own muscular shape disappearing inside as a trail of blood falls to the ground.

“Tell me Karsus, what do you see?” Gralzitine stares at the parchment for a while, then shrugs as an ink well and pen appear before him. “Perhaps there is power at the other end of this message which I can put to good use.” He signs with a flourish and sets the pen in the ink well.

ShedShadow
2019-01-27, 02:58 PM
Whatever you were expecting, it was probably not this. The scroll turns around, grows to about the size of a door and then seizes hold of you so fast that you cannot get out of the way. Rather than trying to wrap around you or cover you, you seem to pass through the scroll, coming out of the other end. You are no longer where you were before, a library, a castle, a cave or a sectioned off demiplane. You are now standing on a stone slab that is covered in runes some of you might be able to read, lying flat in the earth of a stretched out grassland. As far as you can see there is only waist-high grass, with somewhere in the distance a single tree and next to it you can spot a thatched roof house. The grassland is covered by what you can only describe as a dome made of some cloudy, misty, milky substance that seems to go back and forth, almost like waves in the sea. The dome goes all around the grass, from some thirthy feet behind your back, in a perfect circle all the way to a great distance behind the house and the tree, which are standing in the middle.

Next to you stand three other figures, the four of you forming a semicircle on the stone slab, each of you standing with your back towards where the mist dome is, and a fifth hooded figure stands before you.

He is dressed in a simple brown hooded robe with black trimmings. The left side of his face is covered in blue runes that some of you might have seen somewhere, but are definitely unable to read, and his eyes glow with a soft, deep blue light.

"Welcome," he says as he looks around at each of you, "to the Hall of Ascension. My name is Cronos. You are here because each of you signed the scroll with an invitation to become a member of the Ascendant Assembly. Each of you here," he says with a solemn voice, "have completed your first Ascendancy ritual. You are now an ascendant. The gods of mortals and the princes of devils envy our station. Though, initially, we may not be as powerful as they, ascendants are not dependant upon worship or adoration for their power. We are our own wells. We draw from our own souls. As such, we can become greater than they. It is therefore in the first days of the ascendants, when but few of us walked the Multiverse, that the gods sent emmisaries and legions of angels and solars to strike down the ascendants. One ascendant could stand against many, but heaven was not above striking a deal with the rulers of the lower planes in order to eradicate us, and one by one we began to fall. It is then that the Ascendant Assembly was instituted."

He turns around and points his arms to the surroundings. "This is but the gate. The house is the portal to come to the Ascendant Assembly. Before I can allow you to enter, you must make a solemn covenant that will magically bind your soul to comply to its constraints."

He turns back to face you, his face now grave. "The covenant is this: Never to harm an ascendant while in the Ascendant Assembly, never to harm the ascendants of your cell, and to always come to the aid of those within your cell. Your cell will consist of the four of you. Before we begin, you might want to introduce yourselves to each other."

Before you get the chance to respond, however, you suddenly hear something rustling in the grass to your right. "Beer!" a slurred voice shouts from the grass, "Beer and friggin' wenches! Wenches! Beer!" Cronos sighs and rubs his forehead as he turns to look at the source of the sound. Above the waist-high grass you see a bald head appear, light skinned but half blue, vertically painted on the left side. The man sports an unruly beard that sticks out in all directions, and as he staggers upright his head is followed by a pair of enormous shoulders and a chiseled torso covered in tattoos, and currently also in vomit. "Cronos! Bloody old crow! Did I miss it?" He lays eyes on you and shouts "You son of a goat! You're supposed to wake me for this ****!" He says as he bows over and picks up a skull of some sort of lizard that is painted blue, plants it on his head and grabs an axe from the floor. "Friggin' Cronos, man! Why didn't you wake me?!"

"Because you were sleeping and I didn't want to wake you from your dreams of, quote, 'Beer and friggin wenches', unquote." Cronos replies with the tone of one used to the halfnaked bear of a man being drunk. "And yes, you are late. The new cell has arrived." With that he turns back to you. "This is Thibault. But, as I was saying, you four will form a new cell of your own, if you accept, that is, and as such I suppose introductions are in order."

Stevesciguy
2019-01-28, 10:38 AM
The Unnamed glances around at his new companions, and, upon catching sight of Victor, begins cackling madly.

"If it isn't the gnome! We were jusssst talking about you! Xelphas, now is the time to lodge that complaint of yoursssshahahaha!"

As the lich continues to laugh at his own joke, the staff does not speak; but instead, an aura of almost tangible rage begins to emanate from it.

Lioslaith
2019-01-28, 11:30 AM
Raphael watches Cronos and Thibault with a slightly bemused look on his face. Two of these other fellows that were to be in his 'cell' he recognized but the rakshasa he did not. He stood quietly as he decided what to do next, slowly flexing his wings to see if they would reach beyond the platform upon which he stood.

Feralgeist
2019-01-28, 12:39 PM
Victor arrives like a inkpot dumped into milk. At first visible as a shabbily dressed gnome with a shock of blue hair he grimaces at the brightness and like a burst dam shadows pour out of him in every direction until all that can be seen of him without effort is a shifting humanoid silhouette with crackling lightning eyes. The stone underfoot shifts between its normal state and a cracked ruin crawling with tiny insectoid shadows. The grass seems to writhe and twist as quasi-reflections of each blade and twig struggle to manifest, fade and then appear anew. Black tendrils and threads creep partially up the dome around victor, swirling around the milky dome and creating eerie patterns.

Victor eyes their hosts and his fellow arrivals, debating internally.
<"Treachery! Unleash me master, I'll gate in reinforcements!>

<Wait. I know some of these ones. Make me a chair.>

<Yes sir.> *Polymorph*.....*Major Image*

Breaking out in a grin Victor lackadaisically falls backwards. A large lightning eyed bat-winged demonic figure swirling with shadows manifests behind victor and morphs into an ooze, which 6 seconds later gleams with purple light revealing a giant demon skull in the centre, the jaws open and just shy of swallowing the small shadowy figure. Victor reclines on the ooze like a kid on a giant beanbag and gives a small wave to The Lich, a nod to Raphael and a wink at the Rakshasa

<Greetings, fellow ascendants.> His voice speaks into their heads. His grin widens as his Mindsight tastes the rage of the staff. <Xelphas? You're keeping him in there? A-ha! "Just a gem from his stores" indeed! Splendid!> Victor claps his little hands with glee at the well executed prank. Turning his gaze back to Cronos the gnome calls out
"The gate, you say? Fascinating. So does this field count as part of the grounds?" the shadows around him seem to silently deepen as he asks the question and a tension can be felt in the air like the unnerving calm before a storm.

Frendle
2019-01-28, 05:10 PM
Gralzitine growls as he is drawn into the scroll, “Perhaps…. not my best choice today.”

As he lands on the platform he quickly looks about taking in the scene. Ah, some of these he recognizes, if one only slightly. They are great powers which he has dealt with before in search of knowledge.

The hooded figure he does not know, at least he cannot remember the mind, though Zceryll is not always bound to him, almost always though. After listening to the others speak he says in his most pleasant tone and mannerisms. “Good to see you my friends,” he bows to the two he knows best, “and to those whom I am not as fortunate to call friend, well met.” And he bows in turn to them.

“I am Gralzitine Nar a simple seeker of knowledge,” he smiles a toothy grin winking at the others.

Looking now at Cronos he bows again. “It seems we are about to partake in a new phase of our existence. One I welcome, for I know, or am aware of each of these here.” He gestures gracefully at the other ascendants standing with him.

He tilts his head a bit, “but I am curious, “aid each other” is a bit ambiguous, does it refer to mutual defense and support in matters affecting our place as ascendants, or does it include our varied other interests as well? Which I suppose could be viewed as the furthering of our ascendancy.”

Lioslaith
2019-01-31, 03:21 PM
Raphael slowly lets go of the medium form he has held for what seems like forever. It was simply easier to move about the castle and interact with the humans as a medium creature. His deep voice resonates over the field, "I have no qualms accepting this covenant, we", he indicates the others on the platforms, "have existed together successfully up until now. I see no reason for that to change."

He stood on his stone disk, having grown to his full height and awaited the others to accept or decline as they saw fit.

Stevesciguy
2019-01-31, 08:18 PM
The lich ceases his cackling and regains his composure.

"I agree to your termsss. I have little desire to harm those who asssist me in enhancing my power."

Feralgeist
2019-01-31, 09:48 PM
"Agreed! This is a fine idea, I've always wanted real friends. I'll bind my soul as soon as I find it.....I think I saw it in the fugue plane once." Victor giggles. He regains his composure and the ooze below him extends a pseudopod upwards, lifting him to the height of Raphael. Victor frowns at the ooze which strains to lift him an inch higher, then smiles smugly, getting to his feet and spreading his arms wide to Cronos.

"Ah, yes! Introductions! Ahem" Victor stomps the pseudopod lightly and a finely dressed orator in a 3 piece suit appears in front of him who calls out in a deep booming voice that resounds in the clearing.

"Presenting...The reaper of bodily fluids, Usurper of Shadows, The man who hollowed out the Gnoman Empire, the walking one man orgy. Succubi love him, Incubi would love to BE him...VICTORRRRRRR GLITTERSWEEEET!"
Victor moves his hands in some arcane gestures, mutters a few words and the noise of an applauding crowd can be heard. Victor drops his cloak of shadows and begins flexing his stringy little arms, shadows twirling around them like smoke. The shadows pouring out of him seem to lessen in depth and density, revealing him entirely.

Now in plain sight, Victor can be seen as a quite unremarkable looking young blue haired gnome wearing luxurious knee-high leather boots with a lightning design. His clothes are shabby, tattered and covered in purple shifting sigils that flicker from place to place. A pair of glittering rings decorate his hands and a rusty hooked hammer hangs at his belt. On the other side of his belt next to a component pouch is chained a large ominous looking book covered in a confusing array of sigils and glyphs that drips shadowstuff in slow languid tendrils.

-Thrax casts major image SLA
- Victor casts ghost sound and drops concealment

Frendle
2019-02-01, 03:27 AM
"Well, I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm, nor do I want to give away too much, I know one or two things about pacts, however I will sign."

"...but what are the true terms?" Gralzitine smiles as he wonders. Always the details.....

ShedShadow
2019-02-01, 02:56 PM
Cronos nods in appreciation for Victor's theatrics, and when Gralzitine has spoken, he extends his right arm, the palm upwards. "The making of the covenant is simple. Each of you, one by one, will repeat after me :"

"I, (say your full name), bind with steel and blood the ties of my soul. I bind it to abide in peace in the Hall of Ascension. I bind it to walk in peace with my brethren. I bind it to aid my brethren in their hour of need. The wind shall carry my voice and bear witness to the skies that this is so. By the earth I vow, by the fire I forge and by the water I seal that this is so. Bound to me are these my brethren (the rest say their full name). Thus is the vow of Ascension."

"Then, a gold coin will appear in your hand. The coin is summoned by thinking your own full name. While holding the coin you will know where the rest of your cell members are, and you may speak to them through the coin. That is it. Are you ready?"

Feralgeist
2019-02-01, 05:32 PM
Victor frowns in puzzlement. "It's that simple? Well alrighty."

<MASTER, wait! Are you sure of this? It took many bloody decades of war to hide your true name.>
<It'll be fine, Thrax. It's better than nobody truly knowing me. Our home is an empty place.>

As ooze beneath him discorporates Victor floats gently to the ground and holds his palm up, mimicking Cronos.

"I, Viktorioskoden Glitterpondenston Sweetilillyfrizzelbarp bind with blood and steel the ties of my soul..."

After the Oath Victor concentrates and is pleased to see a gold coin appear in his palm. "Not really my colour..." he muses, muttering the words to a spell. An illusion settles over the coin which makes it look like a mirror-chrome disc with a beautiful Nymph on one side and a haughty eyeless Lillitu on the other. Victor smiles and dismisses the coin.

Victor casts Permanent Image

Stevesciguy
2019-02-01, 06:51 PM
"I, he with no name, bind with blood and steel the tiesss of my soul..."

As the golden coin appears in his skeletal grasp:
"A curiousss little trinket. A hint of divination magic, perhapsss?"

Frendle
2019-02-02, 03:14 AM
Gralzitine stares are the Gnome, "frizzelbarp? I am bound for all eternity to a frizzelbarp?"

Shaking his head and smiling, "Well, there are worse things...."

"I, Gralzitine Nar, bind with steel and blood the ties of my soul. I bind it to abide in peace in the Hall of Ascension. I bind it to walk in peace with my brethren. I bind it to aid my brethren in their hour of need. The wind shall carry my voice and bear witness to the skies that this is so. By the earth I vow, by the fire I forge and by the water I seal that this is so. Bound to me are these my brethren (the rest say their full name). Thus is the vow of Ascension."

Lioslaith
2019-02-02, 09:00 AM
Raphael recalls all the oaths he has taken over his existence and has subsequently outlived. "I, Raphael, bind with steel and blood the ties of my soul. I bind it to abide in peace in the Hall of Ascension. I bind it to walk in peace with my brethren. I bind it to aid my brethren in their hour of need. The wind shall carry my voice and bear witness to the skies that this is so. By the earth I vow, by the fire I forge and by the water I seal that this is so. Bound to me are these my brethren (the rest say their full name). Thus is the vow of Ascension."

After the coin appears in his hand he hides it away within his clothing and says, "I am ready."

ShedShadow
2019-02-04, 01:10 PM
"Swell!" Calls Thibault from the side as he raises his axe. "New cells! This calls for beer! AND WENCHES! BEER AND WENCHES!!!!" This he shouts as he turns and starts walking with great strides towards the hut. Cronos facepalms.

"I think you are starting to see the pattern here..." Cronos says. "You know, he is actually rather intelligent. He could outwit most mortals if he wished. Instead he drinks." He looks after Thibault who is singing songs of beer and wenches in a terribly loud and arythmic manner. "I swear, if I didn't have him in my cell, I really wouldn't put up with him. When he is sober, though, he is nice enough." He turns to look back at you four. "Anyway. Shall we join him inside?" He walks through the grass, opens the door and a purplish portal is all you see.

____

Though it is called the Hall of Ascension, it is really more than that. It is an island, rather small, that has a bit of everything. There is a small mountain, a tiny volcano with nearby hot springs, a small patch of desert, some jungle, a piece of more temperate forests, a small village-like square with a simple one-story inn, a blacksmith, a small house with a crude sign saying "Ye olde magic shoppe", a farm where you can see chickens running around, a well, and next to the well stands a small pedestal upon which lies a crystal ball. The skies are blue with a tad of a white fluffy cloud here and there, the sun is warm and pleasant and a soft breeze caresses your skin.

"Well," says Cronos as he smilingly welcomes you to the Hall, "Welcome home. First things first, there are two people always here: James the innkeeper and Tim, the farmer. He has been here since before anyone can remember. He is also as older than you can possibly imagine." He motions to the man sleeping in a rocking chair in front of the farmhouse, whose hair is so white and fluffy and voluminous you might've mistaken him for a gaint ball of wool.
"The blacksmith is invisble and always silent. Just tell him what you want and he will make it for you in the blink of an eye, as long as you, of course. Ye olde magic shoppe," he points to the shack of a house which looks like even this gentle wind might sweep it away, "is run by Grums, Grumsh and Gruums, the orc triplets. Don't worry, looks are deceiving. Also never get their names wrong, they will throw a fit and you will not hear the end of it."
"The inn is the everlasting resting place of our good friend Thibault. There too, don't let looks deceive you." And with that introduction he opens the door of the inn.

____

You barely sat down in the unassuming small inn, Thibault nowhere to be seen, when the door to the inn is slammed shut somewhat on the hard side and a semi-loud bang echoes through the inn. A woman with red hair in a breastplate, a sword and shield strapped to her back, briskly walks past the tables where patrons eye here with some interest. Even though she looks just like any other adventurer they stare after her with some concern, at least some of them do. Not the kind of concern when a fight is about to break out, but the kind of whether someone is okay and you should go see if there is anything you can do.

Walking past, she leaves a hint of the smell singed hair behind. As she turns you can tell her eyes are red and puffy and she has shiny cheeks and sticky eyelashes. Little black spots riddle her mantle and there are something like soot stains on her knees. She stands still in front of the job poster board and rummages through a small haversack by her side. She pulls out a somewhat creased parchment and almost zealously drives a dart through it, slightly ripping the page, to make it stay on the board. Just as abruptly as she came in, she leaves, again slamming the door behind her.

On the parchment, which is also slightly singed and has small black spots on it, you can read the following.

Employer: Thana Remlin
Task: Find brother
Reward: 250 gold + spoils
Meet here on the 12th.
That's all the paper says. Guessing by the smell of the paper, which smells faintly of burnt steak and something akin to sulphur, she needs some help someplace hot.

Lioslaith
2019-02-05, 08:49 AM
As they walk through the doorway Raphael makes himself medium sized once again, although still big for even that category. He takes in the small island and smiles, Seems well thought out. As he settles into a seat at the inn he has only a moment to look around at the other patrons before the firey red head bursts in. He watches her with curiosity and when she leaves his eyes turn to the board.

Getting up from his chair he moves over to the board and takes down the note. "Cronos, what is today's date?"

ShedShadow
2019-02-05, 11:17 AM
"I believe it is the 11th, but that really depends on what calendar you are using. According to the ancient Proteniuns..." he starts talking in something of a mumble himself, then pulls out a notebook and start scribbling in a language you don't know (Not even with a Tongues spell).

Feralgeist
2019-02-05, 05:16 PM
Victor reaches out a hands towards where the dart fell when Raphael took the note and it scoots across the floor before floating up into his fingers.

<Find her, Thrax. Keep an eye on her.>
<Your will, master.> *Scrying*

Leaning back on his chair Victor gazes around the bar scrutizing the patrons. "It's strange.....I thought the paths to power were always as transformative as ours but everyone here looks so..so....normal." He seems a little disappointed.

-Victor uses Telekinesis supernatural ability.
-Thrax uses scrying (DC 23) and Thana gets a -4 to the will save because we have her dart

Lioslaith
2019-02-06, 10:01 AM
"So, should we wish to try and help this woman we are here until tomorrow it seems." Raphael folds the note neatly and puts it in his pocket.

"I had thought the same initially Victor, however given my own appearance I would venture to say that likely nothing here is as it appears to be."

He sits back down and begins to observe the room, noting anyone or anything interesting.

I assume a spot check? So used to rolling perception, lol
[roll0]

Feralgeist
2019-02-06, 11:02 AM
Victor taps a finger on the table, attention span waning. He summons his coin, rolls it across his fingers and dismisses it.

"Well, I doubt they serve my beverage here...I'm going to take a look around. Yell if there's excitement."

<Looks like we have some time to kill. Take me to the blacksmith.>

<Yes, master.>

Victor gives a mock salute to his comrades and shimmers from sight. The atmosphere in the tavern immediately brightens, the shadows chased back to their respective corners of the room.

-Thrax casts Teleport without error SLA

Appearing outside the Blacksmith shoppe Victor knocks lightly and enters, reaching out with his MindSight.

"Erm, hello? Anybody home? I'm looking for a tuning fork keyed to this dimension. Might you be able to fashion one for me? I can pay you....either in coin or with service." He looks around the shop, running a finger over a shelf to check the dust level
"I'm part of the latest cell you see." Victor continues, pacing the shop and looking around halfheartedly for a skulking figure. "We've only been here a moment but already I've heard tales of the quality of your craft. Someone as influential as you to a place like this sounds like a good friend to make. I'm Victor, pleased to meet you." he finishes, holding a hand out to the middle of the room.

Frendle
2019-02-06, 02:28 PM
Gralzitine observes the actions of his new cell mates…. “Ominous turn of phrase, hopefully not prophetic.” He muses.

“So, are we considering taking this request and running it?” he directs his comment to the others in quite tones. Then he watches as Victor leaves and smiles nodding in response to his salute.

Gralzitine looks about the room, “I’ll bet that the capability for mayhem sitting in this bar is extraordinary. No doubt some number of these folks exceed our current capabilities by a wide margin.” Turning back to the others he continues, “I wonder if this is meant for us. Certainly the timing would indicate that, perhaps it is a bit of an initiation. Perhaps it is just coincidence.”

Leaning in toward Cronos he asks, “Is there more to do yet on our acceptance into the Ascended? Perhaps a get to know you event? I would be curious to meet some of the others. No doubt they possess knowledge and wisdom it would be wise to seek, if such is generally done.”

The curiosity and desire which passes across the Rakshasa’s face is evident without supernatural powers.

Stevesciguy
2019-02-06, 04:38 PM
"I'm curiousss of thessse... spoilsss. Two hundred and fifty golden piecesss is a rather paltry sssum for those of a stature such as oursss. What could make such a tasssk worth our time?"

The lich then turns to face Cronos.

"Ssspeaking of tasksss worth our time... Cronosss, would you happen to know the location of any jewelsss of a quality sssuch as thisss?"

The lich then produces a gemstone from a pouch on his belt: a decently sized ruby, of beautiful cut and grade.

But there is something... wrong... with the ruby. The reflections of the room are distorted, and the light glinting off its facets almost seems alive. A faint aura of pure malevolence flows from its surface.

"I need more like thisss for a... project, shall we say. Nothing but the highest quality shall sufficcce."

Lioslaith
2019-02-06, 05:31 PM
Inclining his head towards the lich Raphael says, "Perhaps the fact that she was able to enter this particular hall might at least hold some interest. And also that she is apparently ascendant and yet needs help with this task."

He shrugs, "I wonder what manner of drink they have available here..." he asks no one in particular.

Frendle
2019-02-07, 11:04 AM
"That is a very good question my friend, let me go see." Gralzitine nods his head in agreement with the sentiment and heads to the bar.

ShedShadow
2019-02-08, 06:32 AM
Cronos looks up from his scribbling, takes the gem and inspects it for a moment. "I can't say I know the whereabouts of ruby this size, but I'm quite sure that red dragons are quite fond of them. They like to see their own colour, you see. The only one I know of which has recently awoken was Etiol, but I have no clue where he is currently." He looks closer at the oddly shifting gems, and seems to jump as something inside it shifts. "My! What is wrong with this thing, exactly? It seems to be cursed or something!"

He then suddenly remembers Victor's comment. "Oh my! it is quite boring here indeed. I completely forgot to tell you about the three doors upstairs." He points to a small staircase, which leads to a balcony which has three simple wooden doors in the wall. Having seen the building from the outside, you know those doors don't have rooms attached to them. "The first door is a bi-direcitonal gate. That means it can put you anywhere within the tavern, be it here, or the golden room, the ladies' room, the pink room, the bathroom, the disco room- Quite odd, actually, I don't know whether anyone likes flashy lights and music that sounds like a warforged fart orchestra, but we have a room such as that anyway. There are quite a lot of rooms, actually. So many I haven't even been to all of them. James knows all of them, so if you need to find a room, just ask him." Cronos turns around and shouts "James!"

From behind the bar a gnome leaps over the counter in a triple summersault. He wears non-descript clothes, a slightly besmudged white apron and leather boots that are somehow hot pink. He also sports a pair of glasses where the glass is actually the colors of the rainbow, and the gnome has an earring in the form of a dreamcatcher web. "Dearest Cronos, Master of time, Shaper of the Sands and Stepper of Seconds, what might I serve you today!" Oddly enough, though the words form a question, the gnome doesn't ask it like one. "Oh, I know?" Though that wasn't a question, he asked it like one. "The Flirryburpglitterbillbombbeer?" With a flick of his wrist, a firework of glitter sets off above the table, and a colorshifting mug with a purple glittery liquid appears in front of Chronos. "Enjoy?" And with that, James jumps behind the bar again, performing a triple corkscrew in midair.

"Well, that's James for you." says Cronos. "The second door leads to the toilet, but I recommend you not use it. Ever since Thibault had the flu it just never smelled right after. And the third door leads to a bedroom. Don't worry, it is a magical instance of a bedroom. No one can enter there besides yourself, unless you invite them in." He looks curiously at the purple drink on the table before him. "Now what in the Nine Heavens is this? A glitter-thingy-ale?"
___

Meanwhile, at the blacksmith, Victor can't help but feel foolish. Nothing moves, no sound is made and yet he stands there with his hands outstretched. Somewhere behind him he can hear something like a giggle, but there is no one there. Suddenly, the billows start pumping and the fire in the blacksmith's forge roars up. A red and yellow light spreads throughout the smithy. Victor can feel one of his hairs being yanked out, and now distinctly hears a giggle. The hair is then thrown into the forge, and instantly pops out a tuning fork made of a black sort of mist, and lands right in Victor's hands. Although the fork seems insubstantial, you can grab it anyway. Ringing it gives off a vibration that cannot be heard, but seems to shake the very air around it, almost as if you can see the sound rather than hear it. Victor again hears a giggle, then distinctly feels a swift kiss on his cheek from a pair of very soft and warm lips, leaving behind just the slightest bit of moisture. Again the giggles, and the billows fall still again, the fire backing down to a soft glow. And Victor just stands there, a little confused as to what just happened.

Feralgeist
2019-02-08, 07:21 AM
"Y-you're too kind." Victor stammers nervously, glad that he no longer sweats. Shadows leak from his skin at the touch and he lowers his hand. Victor glances at his belt and the coin pouch at his side opens. Deftly sending 10 platinum pieces to the counter Victor gives a half bow. The hammer at his side glitters and seems to shiver, shedding rust and becoming shadowy. Victor withdraws from the room, his eyes darting to every corner.
Closing the door behind him Victor gasps "Nothing! Not even a glimmer. Couldn't even feel their tread on the stone. No one sneaks up on me...what a strange day." He trudges back towards the tavern feeling humbled, wrapping shadows about himself once more and inspecting his semisubstantial prize.
"And get out of my hammer." he mutters. "What in the abyss do you think I'd be swinging at? I couldn't see it! We're not all bloody bats, blargothrax. Not to mention I was a customer. It'd be poor manners."
The hammer returns to it's regular shabby state.

Stevesciguy
2019-02-08, 11:46 AM
The lich lets out a low chuckle as the strange gnome jumps back over the bar. The living could be so odd, at times.

Turning back to Cronos:
"I do not need rubiesss specifically; indeed, any stone of sssimilar quality will do. The... peculiarities of the ssstone are my doing. They require sssome preparation to be useful to me."

Feralgeist
2019-02-10, 12:07 AM
Victor tucks the planar fork into a pocket in his robes and mutters a command word in Aklo."Alacrity" his boots crackle with time energy and he zips the rest of the way to the tavern in record time for a gnome. Upon reaching the door victor relaxes his form into a gaseous cloud of shadow and seeps through the cracks. Floating over to his new "cellmates" Victor coalesces into his usual flickering humanoid blot of darkness. "The client is currently er....indisposed. I've sent word we accepted the job. Plus spoils sounds juicy." he rubs his hands together. Y'know, all this anticipation has me thirsty after all." *Column of Ice.*

A puddle of condensation gathers besides Victor and quickly rises into a 10ft wide pillar of ice. Victor begins waving his hands over the pillar like a pottery artisan muttering more Aklo.
*Ice shape*
The pillar melts and is scraped aside to reveal a rough humanoid shape. Victors eyes twinkle with glee as he incants the last spell.
*Ice to flesh*
The ice sculpture is made flesh and slumps onto the table. Victor pulls a dented tin cup from his belt and puts it on the table, slipping the hooked hammer from his belt with his other hand. Slamming the hooked end into the freshly made corpse Victor holds his cup against the wound and slips the hammer out, waiting for it to slowly fill. As the cup reaches full Victors' hand bursts with shadows as he touches the "corpse", banishing it to his demiplane.
*Mythal Vanguard Planeshift*

Victor drinks deeply and lets out a loud belch. "Elder evils that's refreshing. Closest I can come to a frosty chocolate milk." He grins and wipes away a red liquid moustache. Edging closer to Raphael he nudges him with a little elbow.
"Watch out for the blacksmith, hey? He or she is handsy."

Lioslaith
2019-02-11, 01:16 PM
Raphael takes a sip of his drink before smiling at Victor, "What did you have it make for you then that required it to get handsy?"

He takes another long look around the tavern, taking note of anything particularly interesting involving the patrons.

ShedShadow
2019-02-11, 03:28 PM
The Rakshasa arrives in the middle of something that is definitely a library. A cold blue light emanates from small marbles that lie in torches throughout the library. You find yourself in the middle of a stone pedestal, somewhat similar to the one you entered the misty dome in, and whichever way you look, everywhere around you there are long hallways, longer than you can see and the walls of those hallways are bookcases, each stretching into the heights outside the light that the marbles cast. There is no index that you can find anywhere, and no indication as to which hallway deals with what. Walking closer to the bookcases themselves, you see books that are so new they could've been written yesterday, and ones so old that you walking on the floor causes them to crumble slightly. You stand alone amidst a vast collection of books, no sound anywhere, and no indication of where to start your search. Good luck.

__

Meanwhile in the tavern, the feisty lady comes back in. This time around she is not as distraught as she was the other day. She smiles at the patrons she walks past, or at least, a smile is on her lips but her heart is not in it. She goes up to the counter and apologizes to the barkeep for slamming the door the other day and then she comes over to where she put up the paper. She frowns, then asks aloud "Who took my paper? Does that mean they accepted it? Or is Narwin playing tricks again?" She looks around, waiting for someone to reply. James smiles and then points at Raphael. With a couple of strides she comes to your table. "Do you have my paper?" she asks of Raphael.

Lioslaith
2019-02-11, 03:41 PM
The angel stands as the lady approaches, indicating she is welcome to sit if she likes. "I did indeed. Myself and my companions are willing to accept your offer and help you find your brother." He extends his hand in a traditional greeting to clasp forearms, "Thana Remlin, I am Raphael, the skeleton has no name and the small shaded one is Victor. We are at your service."

ShedShadow
2019-02-12, 05:50 AM
"Ah," Thana says while grasping your forearm, "you must be the new cell then. Isn't there a fourth member?" She looks around, but doesn't see the fourth member. "Anyway, I'm sure you guys can inform the fourth. My name is Thana, and I have a problem. My brother, Derrek Remlin, has gone on a mission for a client to retrieve an item that had been rumored to be kept by Scillion the mage. That was all fine, he knew where Scillion lived. Problem was, Scillion had been dead for over a hundred years and lived on the Elemental plane of Fire. It has been three months and he has not yet returned. I fear something has happened, so I need you to go and find him." As she says this she is fingering a small golden locket that hangs from a small chain on her neck. Realizing that she is doing that, she stops, straightens her back and continues addressing you.

"The easiest way of getting there is via the hall of stairs, excepting that you have a means of plane shifting there and then teleporting to the place. If you use the hall of stairs, it is not a long way off to get there, so that would be my best bet, but I don't know what tricks you have up your sleeve. I can't accompany you because my mother is ill and needs constant care. Here is a note with the instructions for the hall of stairs. The best of luck to you." She shakes Raphael's hand again, gives him the paper, looks at the rest of you and starts to walk away. Before she makes it to the door, however, she turns around. "Oh, and one more thing. You can know my brother because he looks very much like me." she says while opening the locket. It reveals a tiny painting of a man similar to her in likeness, albeit with short hair and a sharp jawline. "Not only does he look like me, he will have a locket on him with my face on it, just like this one. Ask him to show it so that you might be sure. Please find him alive." And with that, she leaves the tavern.

On the paper it says the following:

This constructed demiplane is a portal highway to the where the portals are located on different planes. To go through a portal you must attune the correct number of stones, indicated by a badge that will appear on your shoulder when you enter the plane. If you enter from here, you will have 4 blue stones on your badge, and enter here (see map). You must go through the door marked with red, but you must have exactly zero crystals. Use the compass to figure out how to attune your badge to zero when you reach the door. And don't walk the same stair twice. It will end badly.

And it also has this map drawn on it. (this is a link to my google drive)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4V5RBf5huStnUCZshSt6qRs4ssHJxJD/view?usp=sharing

Lioslaith
2019-02-12, 07:20 AM
When the red haired maiden departs Raphael summons his coin to his hand. "Gralzitine, our lady has given us our task. We are ready to depart as soon as you come back to us."

He takes a moment to look over the paper and map then hands it to The Unamed to pass around to the others.

Frendle
2019-02-12, 01:40 PM
Gralztine states in awe at the trove of knowledge surrounding him, "This alone is work joining to the cell. Time to get to work." Unable to suppress a smile and drooling just a little, Gralztine sets about the task of learning the ins and outs of this place of worship, if he worshiped anything that is.

He is unaware of the passage of time, until he gets the message from the Angel. "In a distracted voice he answers, "Yes, yes, coming. Let mu just finish this one chapter."

Then sighing, he sets the tome back in it's place and heads for the door. when he descends the stairs and sees the others waiting for him he shrugs, "If you want me to continue ascending my friends, I will get lost in the stacks more often than not when we are here." A wistful expression crosses his face.

"So, down to business, what do we know so that I can prepare for the task we are set."

If I am able to take 20 I pass automatically, if not here is my roll.

Gather Information [roll0]

Lioslaith
2019-02-12, 01:46 PM
Raphael fills Gralzitine in on all the information that Thana related to them regarding the plane of fire and what they knew so far.

Feralgeist
2019-02-13, 02:29 AM
Wreathed in shadows Victors frown is imperceptible, but the disapproval is obvious in his voice. "The plane of fire, huh? I knew a couple of guys who come from the City of Brass. I have some things to prepare.....I'll meet you in the City in an hour." Victor withdraws a Planar fork that is shimmering with odd distortions.

<Take this to Lazburg. I want a gate back. Inform Yano and Bano to prepare for a trip. Then take the next night off in the prime Material, cause a ruckus.>

<Yes master. Thankyou.> The fork takes on a malevolent aura and glows briefly before bursting with shadows and disappearing. Seconds later small maggot-like creatures begin creeping up out of the floorboards onto the wall behind Victor. They squirm and slither upwards in a maddening circular spiral pattern and then burst into a multitude of tiny blue flames. The circles of fire join and form a portal through which can be seen a trio of humanoid figures made of various inveterbrates. One made of centipedes is holding the fork and kneeling in front of the gateway while the other two, made from grubs and graveworms Stand silently beyond. Hoots, cackles and bestial screams can be heard coming from past the figures on the other side of the portal. A massive bellow erupts, several explosions can be heard light bathes the ritual room for a splitsecond before all from that side is silent.

Victor discorporates the shadows obscuring him and stands, nodding to Thana. "We'll find Derrek and bring him back to you in one piece." He gives a small wave to The Unnamed and Raphael. "I'll see you two and Graz in an hour." The gnome backs into the portal and turns to face his minions, snatching up the fork from Lazburg. As the portal closes Victor can be heard berating them
"The most UNPROFESSIONAL window into our world! We discussed the revelry! Does NO one remem-" as the portal closes the tiny maggot flames burn away to nothing and the atmosphere in the room lightens considerably from the previous gloom.-Blargothrax Mythal plane shifts and reports orders to Lazburg who casts Gate to summon Victor.
-Sindria has mind controlled several Barghests into ambushing Vormilix who stole her arm. Vormilix and Barghests are brawling outside.
-Blargothrax teleports outside and starts throwing around Hell-balls and implosions till the rowdiness stops

Stevesciguy
2019-02-13, 08:38 PM
The lich watches Victor leave with a chuckle.

"Kidsss these daysss. Ssso preoccupied with theatrics and perception... Still, quite the competent ally, if I do sssay so myself."

He turns to Raphael:
"Have we a plan of action for thisss endeavor? Are any among usss significantly vulnerable to fire?"

ShedShadow
2019-02-21, 04:42 AM
____

Stepping through the portal has a sort of ooze-like feeling, almost as if stepping into porridge, but coming out clean on the other side. It takes you a minute to realize what you are seeing. Around you there are thousands of staircases and doors at the end of each flight of stairs. The stairs are made from all manner of materials, sometimes of wood, sometimes of brick, sometimes of simple stone. All around, as far as you can see there are stairs, landings, and doorways to the unknown, stretching to every plane imaginable. Staircases reach in all directions and in all orientations: up, down, left, right, upside down, and even bending back upon themselves. Some connected landings are small, only big enough for a single door and one or two adjoining stairs. Others are so large that they stretch away into the haze. You're guessing the paper would come in handy now.

(Also please roll Spot & Listen checks)

Okay, this is a puzzle. These are the rules

- Get to the red circle with 0 stones of any color in order to pass through the door
- the compass indicates what will happen to your number of stones
-Going north divides your number of stones by 2 (e.g. if you have 2 stones and go north, you end up with 1 stone.)
-Going south doubles the number of stones you have (e.g. if you have 2 stones and go south, you end up with 4 stones.)
-Going east adds 2 to your number of stones (e.g. if you have 3 stones and go east, you end up with 5 stones.)
-Going west subtracts 2 from your number of stones (e.g. if you have 3 stones and go east, you end up with 1 stone.)
- Your current number is always visible on your necklace. Negative numbers are indicated by red stones.
- Fractions are possible
- Do not take the same path twice, though you may cross it.

If you've figured it out, please post in a spoiler so the others can try their hand as well. If you cannot solve it together, here is a hint.

If you make a circular pattern, the number of stones is reduced by one. as in:
4 goes south ends 8
8 goes east ends 10
10 goes north ends 5
5 goes west ends 3

This takes you to the same spot, but with one less stone. Remember, however, you cannot take the same path twice!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTsV0YK3wZDlmCwQJ9EkhmfGmIvkluZ5/view?usp=drivesdk

Lioslaith
2019-02-28, 09:09 AM
As the trio closes on the unsuspecting Wyverns, Raphael trails a little behind the other two watching to see how they handle themselves in battle. He decides that he cannot in good conscious allow them to simply attack an unsuspecting quarry. "AHOY, DRAGONS, HAVE AT THEE!" he shouts as they draw close enough for combat.

Frendle
2019-02-28, 02:46 PM
Grazltine turns to look at the Deva, "Really, is this how it is going to be?" then with a smile he points his claw at the Wyvern on the left and unleashes a bolt of power, part magic, part madness.

He reaches out to the Demon spider with his telepathy and commands it, "Use your web on the Scaled monster to the right and then close to attack it with all you have."

The Bebilith will use its Web ability on the Wyvern to the right once it closes to 20', then it will close to 10' and attack with its bite.

[roll0] Ranged touch for the web. Works on up to gargantuan creatures.

[roll1] Bite attack using True Strike ability [roll2] Damage - Poison: Fortitude DC 24, initial damage 1d6 Con, secondary damage 2d6 Con.

Grazltine

Bolt of insanity [roll3] Ranged touch attack Damage [roll4] rounds dazed DC 43/will

ShedShadow
2019-03-06, 12:28 PM
The wyverns look up from their meal, both still gnawing on bones and flesh, and while the one on the right is turning its head, it suddenyl finds itself covered in sticky webbing covering it from head to toe. It barely has time to even attempt to break free before the Bebilith jumps it, biting wildly, trying to find the flesh of the web-covered wyvern to sink its teeth into. The scales of the wyvern, however, are significantly stronger than the bebilith expects, and his teeth find no gap in them, haphazard though the scales may seem.

The other wyvern, completely overcome by surprise, drops the leg he was chomping away at and spreads his wings, which cover a very large area indeed. As it is trying to take flight, a purple bolt streaks through the air, leaving wisps of distorted space behind it in a trail, which takes the wyvern in the side. Something seems to ripple over the entire wyverns body, causing it to reel in pain and shut its eyes, unable to react to anything that happens around it.

From behind the bebilith jump the Deva, glowing sword in hand, Rakshasha in a stance ready to defend itself, and behind them the lich comes, chuckling and gloating that soon these wonderful specimens will be his indeed.

Frendle
2019-03-07, 02:26 PM
Grazltine looks with satisfaction at the effect of his ray, “Good, now to introduce myself more formally.”

Gathering himself he springs forward, looking more like the cat than the scholar, and sprints at the dazed Wyvern. Leaping into the air he puts all his force into a single blow.

Full round action - Charge Attack

Charge Attack to hit - [roll0]

Damage [roll1] (10 points to power attack)

Touch of the Void - [roll2] Added on hit (Tenebrous vestige)

Frendle
2019-03-13, 04:01 PM
Grazltine glances to his right as the other Wyvern falls to the wail emanating from Lich’s mouth.

“Well, that is an interesting ability, wonder if I can acquire something similar, well, time will tell.” Then looking at his own lizard… thing, he winds himself up and unleashes what he hopes is an impressive display of martial prowess.

Full Attack: Natural Weapons

Claw 1 [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Claw 2 [roll2] Damage [roll3]

Gore [roll4] Damage [roll5]

Bite [roll6] Damage [roll7]

If both Claw attacks hit, then he rends [roll8]

Unarmed Strike (Touch of the void)

1st attack [roll9] Damage [roll10] Touch of the Void [roll11] (Cold)
2nd attack [roll12] Damage [roll13] Touch of the Void [roll14] (Cold)
3rd attack [roll15] Damage [roll16] Touch of the Void [roll17] (Cold)
4th attack [roll18] Damage [roll19] Touch of the Void [roll20] (Cold)
5th attack [roll21] Damage [roll22] Touch of the Void [roll23] (Cold)

1st offhand attack [roll24] Damage [roll25] Touch of the Void [roll26] (Cold)
2nd offhand attack [roll27] Damage [roll28] Touch of the Void [roll29] (Cold)

Frendle
2019-05-09, 04:04 PM
Smiling at the well meaning, but fruitless attempts of the Celestial beside him, he suppresses a chuckle, "Ghmmfhh, so now that diplomacy has failed, I suppose we continue the assault?"

With a thought, and a shimmer of blue begins at his paws and ends at his claws becoming a dark blue, then black. The Rakshasa Attacks with all his might.

Full Attack: Natural Weapons

Claw 1 [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Claw 2 [roll2] Damage [roll3]

Gore [roll4] Damage [roll5]

Bite [roll6] Damage [roll7]

If both Claw attacks hit, then he rends [roll8]

Unarmed Strike (Touch of the void)

1st attack [roll9] Damage [roll10] Touch of the Void [roll11] (Cold)
2nd attack [roll12] Damage [roll13] Touch of the Void [roll14] (Cold)
3rd attack [roll15] Damage [roll16] Touch of the Void [roll17] (Cold)
4th attack [roll18] Damage [roll19] Touch of the Void [roll20] (Cold)
5th attack [roll21] Damage [roll22] Touch of the Void [roll23] (Cold)

1st offhand attack [roll24] Damage [roll25] Touch of the Void [roll26] (Cold)
2nd offhand attack [roll27] Damage [roll28] Touch of the Void [roll29] (Cold)