PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Robot game recommendations?

victornguyen
2019-01-21, 10:46 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for games where your character pilots a giant robot, gundam style? I've had a hankering to play something like that but don't know if there are any good games out there.

ImproperJustice
2019-01-22, 12:33 AM
The classic Mekton is probably the best Gundam style mecha game out there.

Mekton Zeta if I recall was the last and best version of it.

Other possibilities with pros and cons to each, but listed in the order I think best marries mechanics and genre:

Mecha and Manga

Savage Worlds w/ Sci Fi Companion

Big Eyes Small Mouth w/ cool robots big starships expansion, alternativey Tri-Stat dx

Stars Without Number Revised (paid edition) which includes mecha.

The Glyphstone
2019-01-22, 12:44 AM
There was a poster here doing campaign journal updates of a mecha-pilot game they were running, somewhat of a cross between Gundam and Zoids. I can't remember the name of the system though...

Psyren
2019-01-22, 12:56 AM
Do you mean where the character has one suit, like power armor, or where the entire party pilots a giant mech using a variety of specialized functions like movement, guns, defenses etc.?

You could actually tweak Starfinder to do both (with heavier tweaks for the latter.) It's meant more for power armor and ships but it shouldn't be too hard to make that fit a mecha mold.

DataNinja
2019-01-22, 12:56 AM
I don't have any personal experience with it, but I believe LANCER, if I'm remembering the name correctly, has been fairly popular with some of my associates.

Rhedyn
2019-01-22, 02:39 PM
I would use Savage Worlds with the Sci-fi Companion like someone else suggested. But does your story require rules that pilots alone will use or will everything "important" be done in mechs?

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/42291/robotech-gets-savage-worlds-treatment

A Robotech supplement will be out by April this year if that is a factor.

Firest Kathon
2019-01-23, 07:45 AM
No experience with it, but the MechWarrior RPG should fit?

DeTess
2019-01-23, 07:51 AM
No experience with it, but the MechWarrior RPG should fit?

I haven't played it, but from what I've read the battletech RPG (a time of war) mostly covers non-mech combat. If you would want to do something in the batteltech universe, and want a pretty detaield system, it'd probably be smarter to use the actual battletech system for mech combat, and something light (like FATE) for out-of-cockpit scenarios and RP.

Edit: it should also be noted the battletech is generally rather different beast to Gundam, at least as far as the mechs and general combat pacing is considered. Battletech mechs are really more walking tanks.

Hunter Noventa
2019-01-23, 08:29 AM
There's also Battle Century G (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151230/Battle-Century-G?manufacturers_id=6277), which was a kickstarted project done by a big macha fan (his avatar is Amuro and he loves Super Robot Wars). It covers the whole gamut from Gundam to the likes of Mazinger Z or even combining mecha like Combattler V.