PDA

View Full Version : Some things I learned about animes

Sigbru
2007-09-24, 05:22 PM
1. If you have a rivallry with your sibling, it's OK to try to kill them to get what you want
2. You can live without your arm
3. It's possible to die, have your body burned away, your soul in your reincarnation, and be brought back with a body of clay and blood (which is only ashes). Oh, and when you fall off a cliff (3 times) you don't die.
4. Fleas like women
5. It is entirely possible to wield a sword two times higher than you, and half as wide as you are
6. You can talk like a total doofus, and people will still understand you
7. Destroy and punish are interchangeable
8. Rusty swords work as good at the big ones
9. You won't die if your Chain of Fate is cut. You just might get a stupid white mask and a neat Soul Reaper uniform,if you're special enough. Otherwise, your stuck with a stupid white mask. That sucks
10. Every single girl in Japan has a skimpy school uniform that would be considered slutty anywhere in the world
11. All guys are either tall, skinny, smart (sort of) and handsome or they're short, fat, moronic, and ugly as heck
12. You can't save the world if you aren't a teenager
13. You can fall in love in junior high, or your freshman year
14. Blood is easy to get rid of. Just get hit on the head
15. Screaming the name of your attack doesn't alert your enemies to anything, ever. Not even your older brother who knows all of them
16. A talking teddy bear isn't shocking at all. A talking animals are though.
17. It isn't considered child abuse for a father to attack his son on a regular basis
18. In most cases, the opening and closing songs themes are far superior to the actual show
19. The silen't-types are always stronger than the main hero but are paid little attention too. They are also always handsome and have a a girl on their backs
20. The main villain of the first season is treated as the most powerful guy in the universe, even thought the main villain in season 2 will be much more powerful than him.

more ?

FoE
2007-09-24, 05:30 PM
21.) Whenever someone get embarrassed or really angry, their arms and noses disappear, their hands turn into round balls and a tear drop appears by their heads.
22.) No matter how great the enemy, you no doubt have some incredible hidden power that you can use to deal with him/her.

Mysticaloctopus
2007-09-24, 05:33 PM
23. A bit of a complicated one here, so:

P = pL^2*(Sv+Hv+St)*Ct^2+BF
...............Ft^-1*epL*gN

KeyP: Power of Attack
pL: Power Level of attacker
Sv: Volume of Shouting attack name
Hv: Volume/size of your hair (or breasts, for female)
St: Time taken to shout attack name
Ct: Total time taken charging in this battle
BF: The not-entirely-understood Bishonen Factor, fluctuates wildly
Ft: Time the fight has been going on (Fr^-1 shrinks as the battle goes on - attacks are stronger towards the climax)
epL: Enemy power level
gN: Number of grunts around - they're attack magnets and more effective that armour, which isn't in the equation at all.

Note that for ninja, attack name shouting and its volume are supplemented by hand gestures and the wildness of said gesticulations.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-24, 05:56 PM
You know, these aren't inaccurate. Of course, tropes vary from show to show.

24) Physically abusing your significant other is not only okay, but hilarious, as long as you're female and he's male. Bonus points if you can knock him into orbit with a punch.
25) Japanese female audiences love gay men just as much as American male audiences love lesbians.
25a) Speaking of which, There Is Always Subtext.
26) A man's attractiveness to any particular set of women is inversely proportional to his desire to date any of them.

Ettlesby
2007-09-24, 06:02 PM
27. Your enemies will always politely wait for you to finish charging up your most powerful attack, no matter how long it takes. On that note, they will always wait for you to finish conversations during combat.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-24, 06:17 PM
27. Your enemies will always politely wait for you to finish charging up your most powerful attack, no matter how long it takes. On that note, they will always wait for you to finish conversations during combat.
28. However, you are expected to return the favor.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-09-24, 06:25 PM
28. Under any circumstances; if you are totally disabled or dying, you must always say "I will not forgive you!".

29. No matter how big and powerful you are, there is always someone out there that is bigger and more powerful than you are. (this also holds true in DnD)

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-24, 07:35 PM
31. It takes half an hour for 10 seconds to pass.
32. The more feminine the villain is, the more powerful they are. Unless they are a woman in which case a swift breeze could knock them over. <- Not always true
33. If the character is gay, they will dress like a woman. Closets seem to be too full of womens clothing in Japan so men can't fit in them.
34. If you look feminine, chances are good you're gay too. Basically femaleness=gayness.
(It kind of pisses me off. Could you tell?)
35. There is always a bigger robot.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-24, 08:57 PM
Actually, in Japan, masculinity is frequently associated with what westerners perceive as feminine traits (thinness, hairlessness, long hair, looking like an animé villain in general). This is why Kurt Russell look-alike Solid Snake was succeeded by Hansen member Raiden; to the Japanese, that's much more badass.

The problem arises with dubbers who make the really effeminite guys camp gay because it amuses them.

"This Millenium Eye is simply fabulous."
Okay, that was a gag dub. But the 4kids version was worse.

Tengu
2007-09-24, 09:10 PM
36. Assign tasks that should be performed by adults to teenagers - they will do it in half the effort and time and twice the angst.
37. Pick one. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeTrope)

Lemur
2007-09-25, 02:30 AM
38. Albinos are invariably evil. The longer your white hair is, the more evil you are.
39. Contrary to what you may have heard, incest is perfectly normal.
40. The Japanese, especially those who work as guards, soldiers or samurai, have extremely high blood pressure.
41. If what you're doing isn't working, you don't have enough "fighting spirit". In lieu of fighting spirit, plain ol' rage works as well.
42. Unless that bad guy is utterly corrupt and evil, he'll probably become a good person and start following you around if you just beat him up once and give him a speech about the value of friendship. Sometimes you don't even need the speech.

The problem arises with dubbers who make the really effeminite guys camp gay because it amuses them.

"This Millenium Eye is simply fabulous."
Okay, that was a gag dub. But the 4kids version was worse.

That's probably a bad example to use. The abridged/4kids voices aren't too different from the Japanese voice for Pegasus. If anything, Japanese Pegasus is worse in terms of fruitiness.

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-25, 02:44 AM
Actually, in Japan, masculinity is frequently associated with what westerners perceive as feminine traits (thinness, hairlessness, long hair, looking like an animé villain in general).

It's not just that though. I don't think I've ever seen an explicitely gay anime character that wasn't offensive. I'm pretty sure I have never seen a gay hero in Anime.

Tengu
2007-09-25, 06:01 AM
It's not just that though. I don't think I've ever seen an explicitely gay anime character that wasn't offensive. I'm pretty sure I have never seen a gay hero in Anime.

How's that different from how homosexuals are portrayed in western media? Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of non-offensive gay characters in manga and anime, but you were just looking at the wrong places. Give me some time and I'll find some.

From the top of my head (though it's a borderline example): in the Metal Gear Solid series, Solid Snake and Otacon are implied to be more than just friends.

Right, and Kaworu from Evangelion. Though it's a debatable case.

FdL
2007-09-25, 06:24 AM
Ever notice how there are really few characters who actually have a mother and a father? I mean that they don't show them. Is it not hip to live with your old folks when you're a high school attending dude / a universe saving hero?

Of course, because everybody is in high school in anime. It's the main social environment for every anime character.

Seraph
2007-09-25, 07:56 AM
you know, #15 actually sort of has a basis in reality. in Kendo, you only get a point if you sync your hit with stamping the floor and shouting. strange but true.

Haruspex
2007-09-25, 08:05 AM
43. The concept of child soldiers does not bother anyone. Not even a bit. Graduating out of ninja school at the age of six? These aren't even the stealthy thief sort of ninjas. These are the cold-blooded killer ninjas.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-25, 08:19 AM
44. Nose bleeding? Must be horny.

Terumitsu
2007-09-25, 08:23 AM
45. Many of these things are due to the fact that you guys are not taking a look at the culture behind it.... And making fun of fan service. The sailor outfits are just school uniforms that are influences of when the US navy occupied the Japanese nation while they assisted in rebuilding. Plus... cost effective instead of having to have a different thing each day. Two suits and you're good for the year.

Also, different cultures find different things attractive. While those of mainly European decent here have the idea that some bronzed god of muscle and sweat is the ideal of masculenity, it also depicts the background of where the culture was born. In Japan. Being tan and having a worker's build has the notation on it that they are a physical laborer. Not a bad thing but in the past, having light features and fair skin ment that they were nobility. One last thing on the feminine men from one himself. "Would you like to say that again?" (Not really wanting to start something... just making the point.) There is no problem on accenting how you look if you wish to appear one way or another.

And the nose bleed thing is due to a natural occurence of when you blush at high altitude. Serously! It's true!

46. If it isn't extreamly cliche', it is mindbendingly different.

47. There is always a kickass secret military force even though Japan has no standing army.

48.Using biblical and Quabbla stories and names are cool. The closer to the religion you go... the cooler (and wierder) you get.
(Side note. If anyone looked at FF7 from the learned mindset of either book... You will see that you symbolicly kill Jesus... )

49. If you don't kill your father/mother/brother/son/daughter... He/she will try to kill you.

Darken Rahl
2007-09-25, 08:44 AM
Teru, I know it's mostly cultural, but it really helps to know the cliches to understand the genre, and even moreso to understand the reasons they became cliches.

The girl I'm dating doesn't like to tan at all, and I really didn't understand why until I read your post and it clicked. I should have figured it out for myself by now, but it just never came to me. So thanks. :)

elliott20
2007-09-25, 10:51 AM
there's dark or evil society of any hobby you care to pick up, be it fishing, cooking, chess playing, speed reading, etc. If you're into it, chances are, somebody's somehow managed to make it irredeemably EVIL.

SITB
2007-09-25, 10:58 AM
*Surprised this wasn't mentioned yet*

50) In space, all sound is amplified, because there's no air to get in the way.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-25, 11:10 AM
51) 40% of all anime episodes are flash backs. 40% of these will be flash backs to a time prior to the characters introduction to the series, 50% are flashbacks of previous episodes, 5% are seizures and 5% are adverts.

52) Hair comes in 4 styles - spikey, bowl, long and shaved.

52b) Hairs can be ANY colour.

53) If given the chance, the bad guy will atone for his deads whilst dying.

54) Characters never have to carry food, tents etc. It just magically appears.

55) If a character goes for a pee something dramatic is going to happen.

56) One character will have no trouble understanding an animal but the rest will.

57) Everyone has infinite amounts of blood.

58) Perverts are attacted to hot springs like moths to a flame.

2007-09-25, 11:25 AM

Tuxedo Mask was gay and a hero.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-25, 11:34 AM
Tuxedo Mask was gay and a hero.

There is some manga about gay cops.

Bakura from Yu Gi Oh always struck me as gay as well.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-25, 11:52 AM
*Surprised this wasn't mentioned yet*

50) In space, all sound is amplified, because there's no air to get in the way.
Yes, but that's true of 99.9% of all science fiction movies and television ever.

And back to the gay clichés thing, it's usually just as bad in the west, and I'm sure there's plenty of yaoi series where the heroes are presented as reasonably as any other couple in Japan, and they save the word or something. I just tend to avoid things of that nature in case of sexual explicitness.

Also, lesbians, at least, can be perfectly well-adjusted and save the world. See the pre-dubbing-horror of later seasons of Sailor Moon (Uranus and Neptune, I think). Also, I think Utena's like this, btu I'm in the middle of the show really have no idea wtf is going on.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-25, 12:01 PM
59) All villain groups of more than five people have the following characters in them:

The Scientist who doesn't care about the group at all
The guy who can't make up his mind about whose side he is on, until he sides with the heroes, and is ultimately kiled.
The leader and the guy who cares about nothing but following his leader.
The guy (or guys) who are actually planning to overthrow the whole villain organization. One is killed by the faithful follower, the other one is killed by the heroes.

60) The bad guys kill each other off more than the Heroes kill them off.

Tengu
2007-09-25, 12:24 PM
Bakura from Yu Gi Oh always struck me as gay as well.

[YGO Abridged]I'm not gay, I'm just British![/YGO Abridged]

In Bleach, if you count omake as canon (and you probably should, since stuff that happened there is referred to in the anime), then Ukitake tried to hit on Toshiro twice... and Ukitake is awesome.

61. Positive character groups consist usually of those individuals:
- the hero
- the hero's ex-rival
- the mostly useless girl (who's usually the hero's love interest)
- the smart guy
- the big, tough guy (but not as strong as the hero)
- the mentor who's very powerful but for some reason rarely fights
- the annoying pet

Wraithy
2007-09-25, 12:32 PM
62) if you cannot resolve your life's ambition in roughly 20 episodes you probably never will
63) even if you miss months of school fighting evil you are never expelled
64) even though it usually takes decades to master this technique, you can do it in a few days.

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-25, 12:45 PM
65. it might not be true in others but from what ive seen in Naruto the main character is annoyingly hard to kill

tannish2
2007-09-25, 12:57 PM
62) if you cannot resolve your life's ambition in roughly 20 episodes you probably never will
63) even if you miss months of school fighting evil you are never expelled
64) even though it usually takes decades to master this technique, you can do it in a few days.

64 only applies if your a main character.
also i think its 23 episodes (not sure though, i can never remember that crap) and if you fail, it takes another 23 episodes.

Tengu
2007-09-25, 01:07 PM
Seeing as one season is usually 13 episodes, I think it's 26 what you have in mind.

Wraithy
2007-09-25, 01:29 PM
*In a really B*tchy voice* hmm, I didn't realise that the word roughly ws invisible :smalltongue:

62a)your life's ambition probably includes fighting someone

PlatinumJester
2007-09-25, 03:51 PM
63) No matter what the heroes are doing the Government will NEVER fund them or give them weapons in their quest to save the World.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-25, 03:57 PM
63b) In fact, nine times out of ten, the government is evil, or controlled by an evil conspiracy. Ten times out of ten if it's a worldwide or universal government.

Tengu: 13 episode seasons are a recent trend. "Traditionally", one season is 26 half-hour episodes. Or at least, that's how it's been presented to me on DVDs. Japanese broadcast seasonal divisions might be weird compared to American ones.

Arakune
2007-09-25, 05:20 PM
38. Albinos are invariably evil. The longer your white hair is, the more evil you are.
39. Contrary to what you may have heard, incest is perfectly normal.

Except when it's for cousins, in japan it's legalized.

Elidyr
2007-09-25, 05:25 PM
64) It is mandatory to caugh up blood during a fight, no matter how badly you get injured.

65) All female characters are doomed to repeat the name of the main character for all eternity while being completely useless.

13_CBS
2007-09-25, 05:34 PM
66) Belief in your friends/heart of the cards/whatever can give you a high enough morale boosts to overcome intense pain, severed body parts, high blood loss, bullets, sword blows, explosions, and psychological warfare.

2007-09-25, 06:29 PM
67- Plots don't really need to make much sense or have an easily identifiable climax, end, or anything like that. In fact, the amount of logical plot you need is inversely related to how many cool fight scenes you have.

bingo_bob
2007-09-25, 07:03 PM
68. You can leave school whenever you want to, really. Nobody gives a ****. Maybe they just all recognize your main-characterness.

Nasrudith
2007-09-25, 09:24 PM
69. A major pervert is always behind the design of the school uniforms. How else can you explain the short skirts?
70. Training comes in two varieties, so barely covered it may as well be behind the scenes, and training that is difficult, dangerous, and takes up at least two episodes. While the first is largely useless the second causes you to go from talented amateur to better than the experts.

hanzo66
2007-09-26, 01:32 AM
71: Read the sig...

72: If you don't shout your technique it doesn't count.

kpenguin
2007-09-26, 01:50 AM
73: The power of love overcomes all.

Tengu
2007-09-26, 05:45 AM
73: The power of love overcomes all.

74. And where it fails, there's always the power of friendship.

Elidyr
2007-09-26, 07:04 AM
75: And when even friendship fails, a quiet, possibly emo white haired man-girl-thing will rescue you.

DeathQuaker
2007-09-26, 09:17 PM
25) Japanese female audiences love gay men just as much as American male audiences love lesbians.

If you ever go to Otakon, you will discover this is not at all limited to Japanese women. Eighty 17-year-old all-American girls forming a conga line through the Baltimore Convention Center chanting, "Yaoi, yaoi, yaoi!" is a truly frightening sight to behold. :smalltongue:

Also, I'm fairly certain your corollary statement is not limited to American men.

76. Large-breasted women never wear bras. Especially if they're animated by Gainax.

The Evil Thing
2007-09-27, 04:09 AM
77: There is contractual obligation to put the female characters in swimsuits at least once.
78: Missiles may not be fired if the volley number cannot be divided by eight.

Yeril
2007-09-27, 03:30 PM
For naruto..

79. If a character is ever hit by a fatal blow, don't worry, its realy just a log.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-27, 03:40 PM
80. If one of the Heroes has a backstory that isn't revealed until later on, it usually starts with "I was eight years old...." and ends with "....and everyone died! Now I have to find that guy and kill him!"

Wraithy
2007-09-27, 04:23 PM
so far 80 is the worst on the list for me

horseboy
2007-09-28, 10:10 PM
If you ever go to Otakon, you will discover this is not at all limited to Japanese women. Eighty 17-year-old all-American girls forming a conga line through the Baltimore Convention Center chanting, "Yaoi, yaoi, yaoi!" is a truly frightening sight to behold. :smalltongue:

And that was why I stayed away from the Inner Harbour. :smallamused:
Though it did make one Hell of a drinking game.

18. In most cases, the opening and closing songs themes are far superior to the actual show

Given the last theme song I could tolerate was Starblazers that would mean anime has gotten really, really, really bad lately.

Tengu
2007-09-29, 12:46 AM
Given the last theme song I could tolerate was Starblazers that would mean anime has gotten really, really, really bad lately.

Seeing that the three most prominent anime series released last year were Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Death Note and Code Geass, it seems that "in most cases" has a meaning more along the lines of "sometimes".

Vespe Ratavo
2007-09-29, 01:09 AM
81. No matter how intense the fight is, there's always time for all combatants to stand around thinking for several minutes, possibly having flashbacks revealing huge portions of plot.
82. No matter how powerful you were at the end of the last season, your power will amount to nothing at the hands of the new season new bad guy.
83. All villains will obligingly wait for you to finish your three episode power up sequence/rambling rant about how you're totally going to destroy them.

Job
2007-09-29, 02:56 AM
84.The previously mentioned “new super bad guy” who’s power is miraculously beyond your comprehension (regardless of your efforts last season), will have in no way impacted the world or the plot in any meaningful way until the point when you meet him, and as a kicker, he and about 100 of his buddies knows that super secret technique you master in 3 days, despite its decade long learning curve

FdL
2007-09-29, 12:21 PM
there's dark or evil society of any hobby you care to pick up, be it fishing, cooking, chess playing, speed reading, etc. If you're into it, chances are, somebody's somehow managed to make it irredeemably EVIL.

LOL
It's true! Chess playing being made evil :D Only in anime, for sure.

Tuxedo Mask is gay??? Didn't he eventually marry Usagi in the future?

For naruto..

79. If a character is ever hit by a fatal blow, don't worry, its realy just a log.

Yes! That got old like in 2 chapters. Don't know why they bother anymore. Watching Naruto does screw up your mind, I guess :p
Watching other anime: "He actually died? I thought he'd be shown to be a log! :o"

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-29, 12:59 PM
Seeing that the three most prominent anime series released last year were Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Death Note and Code Geass, it seems that "in most cases" has a meaning more along the lines of "sometimes".
I dunno. Hare Hare Yukai at least might be better than the show itself.

So...ridiculously...cute...

Querzis
2007-09-29, 01:05 PM
85. Every character who are actually normal and have no tragic past are also the weakest character and barely have any screentime.

86. The only way for them to become stronger and/or more important is if something really tragic happen to them.

87. If someone do a kamikaze attack to take his enemy down at all cost then either him, his enemy or both of them will actually survive anyway.

88. Not matter how much people there is in each teams, even if its an army of a thousand peoples against another army of a thousand peoples, all the combat we see will always be 1vs1 or 1vs the entire army.

89. If someone is fighting an entire army all by himself, there will be no important character in the army and the guy who is alone is gonna win.

Lemur
2007-09-29, 01:58 PM
86. The only way for them to become stronger and/or more important is if something really tragic happen to them.

This one isn't really true. There are two very common ways to become stronger:

1. Training. Training typically involves doing a variety of random tasks, which are extremely exhausting, and also involve strapping absurd amounts of weight to one's body while doing so.

2. Near death experiences. At the brink of death, you have the potential to not only come back to life completely, but better, faster, harder, stronger than before.

Querzis
2007-09-29, 02:11 PM
This one isn't really true. There are two very common ways to become stronger:

1. Training. Training typically involves doing a variety of random tasks, which are extremely exhausting, and also involve strapping absurd amounts of weight to one's body while doing so.

2. Near death experiences. At the brink of death, you have the potential to not only come back to life completely, but better, faster, harder, stronger than before.

The only way for the normal people. Sorry if I confused you but I though I didnt had to specify that the 'them' in 86 was refering to 85 (especially with 'the more important' who was referring to the fact that they barely have any screentime). Normal people dont have enough screentime to do training (or its just training to make another character stronger) and woudnt have near-death experience, they just die. Only mains character are lucky enough to have the near-death experience.

Deepblue706
2007-09-29, 03:05 PM
90. Everyone is an idiot. Additionally, most characters acknowledge it, as 50% of all dialogue includes insulting another character's intelligence.

91. The combat effectiveness of a warrior female is inversely proportional to how well any main male character knows her.

92. Large, muscular men can break through countless minions without breaking a sweat, but never win important one-on-one fights.

93. The girl always has some unique power, but is otherwise fairly useless.

94. Anyone under 18 and looking for a fight is a serious threat.

Wraithy
2007-10-01, 11:20 AM
94. mystery = power
95. EVERYONE works on the ninja ratio

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-01, 11:28 AM
96. 9 out of every 10 animé series nowadays are parodies of other animé series.
97. Hideaki Anno is one crazy mama-jama
98. There will always be a nonsensical reference to western religions for no real reason.
99. Emotionless albino chicks are apparently the pinnacle of sexy in Japan (I prefered Asuka, personally, at least until the last few episodes).

It's taken me 15 freakin' minutes, but here's the #100 that's not a repeat of something from a few posts ago:

100. No matter what you're doing, whether it's fighting a war in giant robots, playing a children's card game, or just finding a way to kill time after school, the fate of the world always depends on it.

Haruki-kun
2007-10-01, 11:32 AM
101. The stupider the plan is, the more likely it is for it to work.

Skippy
2007-10-01, 11:36 AM
102. Gravity is for pansies

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-01, 11:38 AM
102b. Unless harnessed into a fleet-destroying supercannon.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-10-01, 12:18 PM
103. Martial artists of slight build who wear glasses have superhuman predictive powers when it comes to blocking and dodging attacks.
104. These powers increase exponentially when the glasses come off.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-01, 01:13 PM
71: Read the sig...

A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.

In real life that is.

Everywhere else, you're screwed.
In Indiana Jones movies too, but in American movies guns are everything.

DeathQuaker
2007-10-01, 02:39 PM
(Eep, server hiccups, just as I try to post!)

104. These powers increase exponentially when the glasses come off.

Wait, what? I'd say that's a reference to a specific character, and therefore not a common anime trope. Lots of bespectacled characters who are powerful with or without, and I'd say some famous bespectacled heros might even be weaker without their glasses (Yomiko Readman would probably flip out for losing her precious Donnie's glasses).

Though if you learned it from anime, I guess it counts... :smalltongue:

Here's one:

105. When someone's glasses emit a mirror-reflection, completely obscuring the eyes behind, be afraid. Be very afraid.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-10-01, 05:23 PM
Though if you learned it from anime, I guess it counts... :smalltongue:

Effing a-right. Odin has taught me that my glasses should be giving me super powers. False advertising I say!

EDIT: Although, I was actually more referring to the fact that several of the other characters in the anime refer to this as though it were some sort of commonly known fact.

Blayze
2007-10-01, 05:36 PM
106) Moral superiority is measured by the number of X chromosomes a character possesses. This superiority cannot be contested, and it confers the authority to beat all bearers of Y chromosomes to within an inch of their lives for any slight, real or perceived, without fear of retribution or imprisonment for assault.

Edit: I couldn't bring myself to watch the Love Hina anime because of that.

TSGames
2007-10-01, 07:01 PM
In Indiana Jones movies too, but in American movies real life guns are everything.

I fixed your statement. :P

Setra
2007-10-01, 07:10 PM
I fixed your statement. :P
I'd say you're wrong.

Missiles, Nuclear Weaponry, Tanks, Jets > Guns

107. If the title contains "Gundam", there will inevitably be a male blond, he will usually wear red, and pilot a red mobile suit.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-01, 10:59 PM
108. If the title contains "Tenchi", it will be entirely unrelated to all other series of that name in continuity, keeping only the basics of the characters.
109. If the title contains "Evangelion", it will theoretically take place in the same reality as all other with that name, yet contradict all previously presented details of the last day or so of the continuity.
109b. Also, they're going to be milking that series at least until it's gone from "futuristic" to "historical fiction."
110. Nuclear weapons Do Not Exist. If they do, only irredeemably bad guys will use them. I recall hearing that Macross is about the only exception to this.

Tengu
2007-10-02, 01:03 AM
99. Emotionless albino chicks are apparently the pinnacle of sexy in Japan (I prefered Asuka, personally, at least until the last few episodes).

While Asuka is my favorite kid in Evangelion too, in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu I like Yuki most (granted, the whole cast is great and I like'em all - wouldn't mind being in the SOS Brigade if I were still young enough to go to high school), and she seems to be a parody strongly influenced by Rei. Granted, this type of character seems to be a widely-used archetype (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmotionlessGirl).

111. The way you clean wooden floors (and similar surfaces) depends on your age - only old geezers use mops, young people kneel down and rub it with a wet piece of cloth.

Xilehxt
2007-10-02, 01:41 AM
112. 2 Individuals of Opposite Sex + Tripping = Awkward moment and newfound love for each other.
113. The bigger the robot, the better. (With advent of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, the scales are now way off the charts...bye bye, Getta Emperor...)

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-02, 12:48 PM
I was mainly referring to the Japanese fanbase's absolute obsession with the girl. The same goes for Ruri in Martian Successor Nadesico, who was at least partly a Rei parody herself: I like her well enough, I just don't get the...fixation.

And yeah, Yuki's just win in a can. But she's a much more interesting character overall.