PDA

View Full Version : Which Feat/ASI to take on this character?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-01-21, 01:15 PM
I'm going to put these few notes at the top since these sort of things tend to get overlooked in threads asking for advice:
-My DM has handwaved the Str prerequisite to multiclass out of Paladin. There's a good reason for it in my character backstory.
-My DM has also allowed me to use the Staff of Defense to cast Mage Armor even though it isn't on either of my class spell lists. I was more than willing to take the Armor of Shadows invocation to simply ignore it but he insisted that it was pointlessly restrictive.
-Free level 1 feats (yes even to Variant Human)
-I am probably not taking any more level in Warlock and almost certainly not taking a third class unless it's a particularly convincing argument

To the case at hand, I'm currently playing a Redemption Paladin (7) / Hexblade Warlock (2) with the following stats, feats, and items playing through Dungeon of the Mad Mage:

Variant Human
Str - 10
Dex - 16
Con - 16
Int - 10
Wis - 14
Cha - 20
War Caster, Inspiring Leader, Tough
Staff of Defense, Shield +1, Periapt of Wound Closure, Ring of Spell Storing(Not actively using this, just happened to have a free slot), Necklace of Prayer Beads (very lucky treasure horde find)

There are a few more things to note that are influencing my decision:
-The character is very reaction focused, more reactions is probably a no go.
-Despite the Warlock dip I usually find my bonus action unused.
-Strength is a no go, the character is not intended to be physically strong or make much use of that attribute. If Dex wasn't so useful that might have been put even lower as well. He's old.
-I'm trying to avoid having the character wear armor but Medium Armor Master has also crossed my mind as a decent option.
-I'm the tank of the group, far and away the most durable character in our group.

We're more than likely going to be reaching level 10 during/after our next session and I'm already unsure of what option to take. My top two considerations at the moment are Alert and a simple +2 Con. I've been able to get some great character building insights in the past that I overlooked on my own so I though I'd ask here for some perspective.

CTurbo
2019-01-21, 01:32 PM
Do you ever make weapon attacks???

Moderately armored is a complete waste as it adds no benefit to you. Did you mean Medium Armor Master?

Honestly, I'd probably just take +2 Dex next. More Initiate and more AC.

How do you play this guy? Is he more spell focused? Magic Initiate Bard would probably be really fun.

Paladins have great Bonus Action spells so I don't see how your bonus action goes unused.

Aembrosia
2019-01-21, 01:33 PM
Prodigy: acrobatics, expertise acrobatics, painting proficiency, and a language.

Well. Its tough getting old. You lose muscle mass, you lose memories, and not just the ones in your head. I keep these old muscles lean, sunny, morning stretches before breakfast everyday. Wanna see me do a backflip?! Its been a few years but i still got it in me.

Now where did i leave my magnifying glass? Im going to finish my Where's The Xanather pocket painting. The small brush work helps with my arthritis...

ProsecutorGodot
2019-01-21, 01:44 PM
Do you ever make weapon attacks???

Moderately armored is a complete waste as it adds no benefit to you. Did you mean Medium Armor Master?

Honestly, I'd probably just take +2 Dex next. More Initiate and more AC.

How do you play this guy? Is he more spell focused? Magic Initiate Bard would probably be really fun.

Paladins have great Bonus Action spells so I don't see how your bonus action goes unused.

I fixed the Moderately Armored thing, you're right that I meant Medium Armor Master. I often get the two confused.

I do make weapon attacks fairly often but Bless has been my go to in many fights. As far as Bonus Action spells for Paladin (and Warlock) they all take my concentration which I'd rather use for Bless. A non concentration use of my bonus action is more what I'm looking for.

RogueJK
2019-01-21, 01:46 PM
Between Inspiring Leader, Tough, and your existing 16 CON, I don't think you'll need the extra 10 HP you'd get by putting +2 in CON as much. And you already have War Caster and Aura of Protection, so you should rarely ever find yourself failing Concentration checks. If you want to boost a stat, a +2 to DEX is a better choice, especially since you aren't wearing armor or using a shield. It would also increase your Initiative and your Acrobatics and Stealth checks.

Something to consider would be the Lucky feat. This would allow you to reroll any failed saving throw that get past your already high saves, reroll death saving throws if needed, reroll a vital failed skill check in a clinch, counteract a particularly bothersome Disadvantage, or the like.

I'd also strongly consider Polearm Master, which would give you a Bonus Action additional attack with your Staff. It's a little bit of extra damage each turn, and another potential chance to Crit and drop a Smite, plus you said your Bonus Action is sitting unused most of the time anyway.

Probably because those Bonus Action Smite spells require Concentration, whereas he's probably Concentrating on Bless or Hex most of the time.

CTurbo
2019-01-21, 01:54 PM
I fixed the Moderately Armored thing, you're right that I meant Medium Armor Master. I often get the two confused.

I do make weapon attacks fairly often but Bless has been my go to in many fights. As far as Bonus Action spells for Paladin (and Warlock) they all take my concentration which I'd rather use for Bless. A non concentration use of my bonus action is more what I'm looking for.

Between Inspiring Leader, Tough, and your existing 16 CON, I don't think you'll need the extra 10 HP you'd get by putting +2 in CON as much. And you already have War Caster and Aura of Protection, so you should rarely ever find yourself failing Concentration checks. If you want to boost a stat, a +2 to DEX is a better choice, especially since you aren't wearing armor or using a shield. It would also increase your Initiative and your Acrobatics and Stealth checks.

Something to consider would be the Lucky feat. This would allow you to reroll any failed saving throw that get past your already high saves, reroll death saving throws if needed, reroll a vital missed attack in a clinch, counteract a particularly bothersome Disadvantage, or the like.

Polearm Master would give you a Bonus Action attack with your Staff. It's not much, but it's a little bit of extra damage each turn, and another potential chance to Crit and drop a Smite, plus you said your Bonus Action is sitting unused.

Probably because those Bonus Action Smite spells require Concentration, whereas he's probably Concentrating on Bless or Hex most of the time.

I thought about recommending PAM for a reliable bonus action option, but geez with a 10 Str, I don't think I'd be attacking with the staff very often even with Bless.

Unfortunately, there aren't any feats that fit your character that allow for a good bonus action other than PAM. The best way to gain a strong reliable bonus action is to multiclass again(like Rogue 2) and I know you don't want to do that.

I'd go +2 Dex or consider Magic Initiate for extra cantrips and another fun spell. Bard came to mind for Vicious Mockery and something like Faerie Fire. Wizard gets you Find Familiar which is fun for any character.

RogueJK
2019-01-21, 01:54 PM
I thought about recommending PAM for a reliable bonus action option, but geez with a 10 Str, I don't think I'd be attacking with the staff very often even with Bless.

He's a Hexblade. His quarterstaff attacks and damage key off his 20 CHA.

(Hex Warrior only states that it cannot be a weapon with Two Handed property. Quarterstaff is Versatile, like Longsword/Battleaxe/Warhammer, not Two Handed.)

And even though he's fighting with a quarterstaff one-handed while wielding a shield, PAM still applies, per SageAdvice: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/07/polearm-master-feat-one-handed/

CTurbo
2019-01-21, 01:58 PM
He's a Hexblade. His staff attacks are made with his 20 CHA.

oh yeah I missed which Warlock Patron he was. Then I 100% agree that PAM is probably the best option.

Raynor007
2019-01-21, 01:59 PM
If you use a shield, then take Shield Master. Your +1 Shield allows you to add +3 to your Dex saving throws against single-target effects, and if you make your saves against AoE Dex save effects, you take no damage. Plus a bonus action to shove, which can leave an enemy prone easily. Hard to beat that with your build.

Edit: just saw that you don't want a STR-based ability, which shoving totally is. Disregard.

RogueJK
2019-01-21, 02:05 PM
If you use a shield, then take Shield Master. Your +1 Shield allows you to add +3 to your Dex saving throws against single-target effects, and if you make your saves against AoE Dex save effects, you take no damage. Plus a bonus action to shove, which can leave an enemy prone easily. Hard to beat that with your build.

Edit: just saw that you don't want a STR-based ability, which shoving totally is. Disregard.

Yeah, with a 10 STR, he's very unlikely to succeed at Shove attempts. The feat's secondary save bonus is nice, but his saves are already high due to Aura of Protection (which grants him another +5 to all saves), so it's not as useful on this character.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-21, 02:15 PM
I’ll second Lucky and always advocate for it on any build, especially in the mid levels of play after your build is mostly finished. It’s great on casters.

Alert is also great on casters. My Wizard has a +9 to initiative and I can’t tell you how valuable it’s been for me to go first in combat so often. As a caster you can really influence any fights in your favor on the first round of combat by changing the battlefield into a huge advatage for your party and disadvantage for the enemies. Or you cast fireball on 16 evil plant creatures and incinerate then all before they get a turn. Whichever suits your fancy.

Keravath
2019-01-21, 04:38 PM
You could consider level 3 of warlock for pact of the blade. This would let you use your charisma for to hit and damage on whatever weapon you choose for your pact weapon. The pact weapon is also magical bypassing resistance to non-magical weapons which becomes much more common at your level. You can also take the improved pact weapon invocation for a +1 to hit/damage for your pact weapon.

Polearm Master (PAM) is also a decent feat choice if you are looking for an extra bonus action attack. It goes very well with improved divine smite which you will get at 11 paladin. You can use either a spear or quarterstaff one handed with PAM to obtain the extra attack. It also gives you the option for a reaction op attack when a target moves into your reach.

iTreeby
2019-01-21, 05:31 PM
If you took magic initiate sorcerer, you could use booming blade as a warcaster reaction, making you more sticky.

RogueJK
2019-01-21, 06:24 PM
If you took magic initiate sorcerer, you could use booming blade as a warcaster reaction, making you more sticky.

While the OP didn't specify his spells known, he may have (and likely should have) taken Booming Blade as one of his Warlock cantrips.

iTreeby
2019-01-21, 06:40 PM
Oops! Yeah, I forgot warlocks could take it! Magic initiate sorcerer really doesn't add much to the build.

Spell Sniper could be a good feet as it allows whip shenanigans with scag attack cantrips and add some other bonuses as well.

opaopajr
2019-01-22, 09:27 AM
OMG, Redemption Paladin with CHA 20 and Inspiring Leader? I totally see Linguist feat. You can truly reshape the setting by talking things out and bringing forth the power of friendship & forgiveness. :smallsmile: What's your Background?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-01-22, 04:03 PM
OMG, Redemption Paladin with CHA 20 and Inspiring Leader? I totally see Linguist feat. You can truly reshape the setting by talking things out and bringing forth the power of friendship & forgiveness. :smallsmile: What's your Background?
I like this suggestion, however, my DM doesn't seem all that receptive to the idea of talking NPC's down. There have been some issues at the table where (from my point of view) they have made ridiculous leaps in logic to avoid being "Captured and questioned by us, then let go" when the alternative has been "Death" or "Life Imprisonment". It usually ends up that we just have to kill them anyway because they just won't talk and insist on trying to flee and collect reinforcements. I've discussed the issue at length with him but he's unusually stubborn about it and there hasn't been much headway.

I guess this might be a good time to add in a few more pieces of information to see if we can broaden the selection. I will say that you guys have been particularly convincing about PAM so that's likely my choice unless something really jumps out.
-Waterdhavian Noble Background
-The party includes Eldritch Knight/Wizard, Open Hand Monk and Wild Magic Sorcerer
-The Eldritch Knight is focused around the Scag Cantrips so I intentionally avoided picking Booming Blade, I instead took EB and Lightning Lure for my Warlock Cantrips
-My DM is very open to personalizing features/feats and would likely be ok with a feat being adjusted slightly to fit a character more