PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ninja help warlock monk rogue

Rad.benchman
2019-01-21, 05:02 PM
I知 looking to optimize the Shadow monk/ Lock dark fighter combo. However I知 concerned my optimization might be gimping the character. Starting at lv6.
Human V for sentinel to lock them in the dark
Fighter for the con save to keep the dark going and UA tunnel fighter for multiple enemies
Rogue 2 for the stealth expertises and disengage if the fight gets rough
Here痴 where I get dicey. I can do Lock 2 for the dark eyes and go shadow monk 1 and get the shadow casting in 2 lvs or I知 thinking of Lock 3 for casting darkness now. If I do that I might as well take it to lock 5 for the one with darkness ability then start into monk. I think that would really make the shadow theme pop. And add immensely to his stealth ability. Or do I be patient and stay at 2 and proceed into monk?

iTreeby
2019-01-21, 05:20 PM
You are doing too many things. warlock multiclass needs charisma, monk needs wisdom and Dex. You won't get much better stats because you will miss so many ASI's. You don't need to be hiding if you are trying to get a million reaction attacks.

Rad.benchman
2019-01-21, 05:54 PM
You are doing too many things. warlock multiclass needs charisma, monk needs wisdom and Dex. You won't get much better stats because you will miss so many ASI's. You don't need to be hiding if you are trying to get a million reaction attacks.

I知 ok with a 13 Chr for the class requirement. With a 16 dex, and a 13 wiz I can go 3 lock and get a ASI next lv to put me at 18 dex.

RogueJK
2019-01-21, 06:19 PM
You're definitely trying to do too much.

For a 6th level character, I'd go Monk4/Warlock2. Next level, go Monk 5 for Extra Attack. Then Monk 6 for Shadow Step. Only then would I consider something like dipping a couple levels in Rogue, maybe. But I'd recommend sticking to Monk for the vast majority of levels.

A Monk can certainly benefit from a small dip in something like Warlock or Rogue, but I think doing both could dilute your Monk abilities too much. And tossing in Fighter levels will make that even worse. Monks get cool new abilities nearly every level, and are very dependent on Ki to fuel these cool new abilities, which is strictly based on your Monk levels. Too few Monk levels and you will no longer be an effective Monk, and won't have enough Ki to constantly fuel your abilities.

djreynolds
2019-01-21, 07:35 PM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469125-GUIDE-Dealing-Death-Handbook-of-the-True-Assassin&p=6707781#post6707781

There is a ninja build in here, it works

Helliquin
2019-01-21, 08:00 PM
I知 looking to optimize the Shadow monk/ Lock dark fighter combo. However I知 concerned my optimization might be gimping the character. Starting at lv6.
Human V for sentinel to lock them in the dark
Fighter for the con save to keep the dark going and UA tunnel fighter for multiple enemies
Rogue 2 for the stealth expertises and disengage if the fight gets rough
Here痴 where I get dicey. I can do Lock 2 for the dark eyes and go shadow monk 1 and get the shadow casting in 2 lvs or I知 thinking of Lock 3 for casting darkness now. If I do that I might as well take it to lock 5 for the one with darkness ability then start into monk. I think that would really make the shadow theme pop. And add immensely to his stealth ability. Or do I be patient and stay at 2 and proceed into monk?

Ranger (gloom stalker), Monk, Rogue (Assassin) might work too?

Neknoh
2019-01-21, 08:14 PM
You do not need sentinel if you can chuck a stunning fist on them and then auto-grapple and auto-shove, they are now prone with 0 movement inside of darkness.

CTurbo
2019-01-21, 09:41 PM
I agree with the others. You're trying to do too much and will end up not being great at anything.

I say skip Warlock completely and go Shadow Monk 6, Gloom Stalker 3, and then back to Monk. MAYBE MAYBE take a couple Rogue levels later for Expertise and Cunning Action if you feel like you need those things.

I'd probably go Wood Elf for the extra speed and extra ability to hide. Dump Str, Int, and Cha completely

Rad.benchman
2019-01-22, 07:18 PM
There is a ninja build in here, it works[/QUOTE]

This was immensely helpful thank you.
I apriceate everybody痴 input. I agree I知 trying to do way too much with one character. I知 probably going to have to trim it down.

Rad.benchman
2019-03-20, 04:07 PM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469125-GUIDE-Dealing-Death-Handbook-of-the-True-Assassin&p=6707781#post6707781

There is a ninja build in here, it works
This was incredibly helpful. Thank you.