PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled "Murder a decent pint"

grandpheonix
2019-01-21, 08:19 PM
So Durkon says he'd like to murder a decent pint. That didnt feel weird to read? I dont think Durkon has EVER mentioned murdering anything, ever during the entire comics run. Am I wrong for thinking something is wrong? Maybe his alignment has shifted as well during his whole being vamped ordeal?

Im okay with being wrong, just some simple speculation.

Kish
2019-01-21, 08:21 PM
This thread is giving me flashbacks to the "Durkon never swore and disapproved of swearing!" posts when Greg said "Thor's Nuts!"

Misery Esquire
2019-01-21, 08:41 PM
Worse! He's threatening to murder a decent pint! That pint held down an important 9 - 5 production job, had a family of lagers, and was paying steadily into its five year keg mortgage! It was an upstanding pint that you could've seen running for the local fermented council pretty soon, even if it's a boring trial to do! That pint will be going to the big vat in the sky too soon, too soon, and all because of the ravenous thirst of one supposedly Good cleric.

Of course, this may assure its entry to Thor's flagon so it's a mixed action, but his intentions are what count, right?

Just in case... /humour

woweedd
2019-01-21, 09:06 PM
"Murder" is a common slang term in some areas, such as, say, Scotland, where lots of his vernacular comes from, meaning essentially "to devour ravenously". Basically, he's saying he'd scarfe it down.

MartianInvader
2019-01-21, 11:00 PM
"Murder" is a common slang term in some areas, such as, say, Scotland, where lots of his vernacular comes from, meaning essentially "to devour ravenously". Basically, he's saying he'd scarfe it down.
Sure, but I think it was pretty clear here that Durkon wanted to find a pint, preferably sentient, and end its life in a grisly killing in front of its family.

Dogcula
2019-01-21, 11:28 PM
Sure, but I think it was pretty clear here that Durkon wanted to find a pint, preferably sentient, and end its life in a grisly killing in front of its family.

Oh, of course. We all know that a word can't have more than one explicit and unequivocal meaning, otherwise how would be able to parse out dialogue? Contextual clues?!

That's crazy talk.

Quartz
2019-01-22, 04:42 AM
So Durkon says he'd like to murder a decent pint.

It's an ordinary phrase this side of the Pond.

The Pilgrim
2019-01-22, 06:13 AM
It's allright, folks. Pints are always Evil aligned according to the Monster manual. Murdering them at first sight is a Good act.

Crusher
2019-01-22, 08:24 AM
It's allright, folks. Pints are always Evil aligned according to the Monster manual. Murdering them at first sight is a Good act.

Absolutely. Plus, he said he’d happily murder 5, obviously meaning they form evil adventuring parties and are thus an even greater threat.

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-01-22, 09:19 AM
I think Durkon’s alignment is going to be all right.

This thread is giving me flashbacks to the "Durkon never swore and disapproved of swearing!" posts when Greg said "Thor's Nuts!"

Ah, those were the days. Lots of people discovering what the phrase “Thor’s taint” meant all at once.

HerbieRAI
2019-01-22, 10:15 AM
I wonder if Soy Latte or Soda are related to any pints. Will Soda and Latte be able to work together to protect their alcoholic cousins from their greatest foe? Or will the deaths of Milk Duds, Pizza, and Nachos cause an endless cycle of violence and alcoholism?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html

woweedd
2019-01-22, 11:49 AM
I wonder if Soy Latte or Soda are related to any pints. Will Soda and Latte be able to work together to protect their alcoholic cousins from their greatest foe? Or will the deaths of Milk Duds, Pizza, and Nachos cause an endless cycle of violence and alcoholism?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html
Latte might, but Soda'd never go for it. Too immature to aid his elders.

MartianInvader
2019-01-22, 12:24 PM
Alcohol is poison, poison is evil. Makes sense. It explains why the honorable dwarves are always downing their drinks, if not killing them outright.

Paleomancer
2019-01-22, 03:49 PM
So Durkon says he'd like to murder a decent pint. That didnt feel weird to read? I dont think Durkon has EVER mentioned murdering anything, ever during the entire comics run. Am I wrong for thinking something is wrong? Maybe his alignment has shifted as well during his whole being vamped ordeal?

Im okay with being wrong, just some simple speculation.

At least at one point, "I could murder a pint" was common expression in certain parts of the UK for saying you really wanted a beer. Most dwarves (including OotS dwarves) typically have pseudo-Scottish accents and like beer, so this would be "in-character" as it were :smallamused:.

Edit: In retrospect, most of you might actually have been sarcastic, so... sorry if I'm just telling you something you already know. My bad :smallredface::smallbiggrin:

Fyraltari
2019-01-22, 03:52 PM
Alcohol is poison, poison is evil. Makes sense. It explains why the honorable dwarves are always downing their drinks, if not killing them outright.

so this why alcohol poisonning counts as honorable death! It all makes sense now!

The_Weirdo
2019-01-22, 06:46 PM
That clearly means Durkon is Evil.

Hilgya, for instance, would only bankrupt the pint, and, thus, is (Chaotic) Neutral.

Ruck
2019-01-22, 07:58 PM

And obviously, their racial immunity to poison was an evolutionary trait developed to aid in their honorable mission.

Malphegor
2019-01-23, 08:57 AM
At least at one point, "I could murder a pint" was common expression in certain parts of the UK for saying you really wanted a beer. Most dwarves (including OotS dwarves) typically have pseudo-Scottish accents and like beer, so this would be "in-character" as it were :smallamused:.

Edit: In retrospect, most of you might actually have been sarcastic, so... sorry if I'm just telling you something you already know. My bad :smallredface::smallbiggrin:

just for the record of this forum, I'll add that it's pretty common in the UK to say "I could murder a X" if you want X.

For added confusion, we also use the similar-sounding word moider to mean someone is talking rubbish. "Stop moidering, Malphegor!"

woweedd
2019-01-23, 09:26 AM
And obviously, their racial immunity to poison was an evolutionary trait developed to aid in their honorable mission.
They're not immune, just more resistant. Part of their love of drinking in most settings: It takes a lot to get them drunk.

Vinyadan
2019-01-24, 06:34 AM

It's actually Evil behaviour, and we have seen Belkar drag around a murdered bottle: see those X eyes? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html

snowblizz
2019-01-24, 06:43 AM
just for the record of this forum, I'll add that it's pretty common in the UK to say "I could murder a X" if you want X.

For added confusion, we also use the similar-sounding word moider to mean someone is talking rubbish. "Stop moidering, Malphegor!"

I thought "moider" was just someone murdering the pronounciation of "murder". Live and learn I guess.

hamishspence
2019-01-24, 07:17 AM
I thought "moider" was just someone murdering the pronounciation of "murder".

That's how it seems to be portrayed in the Simpsons Mary Poppins parody episode:

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Minimum_Wage_Nanny

Lisa: If Maggie's fussy, don't avoid her.
Bart: Let me get away with moider.
Lisa: Teach us songs and magic tricks.
Homer: Might I add: no fat chicks.
Marge: Homer!

littlebum2002
2019-01-24, 07:28 AM
I thought "moider" was just someone murdering the pronounciation of "murder". Live and learn I guess.

It's "murder" said with a Brooklyn accent, as made famous by Groucho Marx.

martianmister
2019-01-26, 07:54 PM
It's an ordinary phrase this side of the Pond.

Amy Pond???

Fyraltari
2019-01-26, 07:57 PM
Amy Pond???

https://pics.me.me/honeculture-tv-and-radio-doctor-who-dr-who-dalek-found-31306099.png

Riftwolf
2019-01-26, 08:35 PM

We... do?
I've only ever heard moider when doing an American impression (as others have referenced). There's the Taggart murder pronunciation, which cannot be correctly written using human syllables, but that's something else entirely.
I... I think you're just moidering, Malphegor.

D.One
2019-02-01, 12:26 PM
so this why alcohol poisonning counts as honorable death! It all makes sense now!

And don't forget that, besides the Evil Pints, there are also the dangerous Beers with their Alcoholic Claws...

Bongos
2019-02-03, 02:17 PM
Durkon has been murdering a lot of things by drinking them lately, what's all the fuss about a beer?

The_Weirdo
2019-02-03, 07:23 PM
Durkon has been murdering a lot of things by drinking them lately, what's all the fuss about a beer?

One, you have a point.

Two, get out of Amy!

Particle_Man
2019-02-03, 07:28 PM

Just curious, if a Scottish person said "I could murder a half-pint" would that be a light drinker or a potential child-murderer?

Kish
2019-02-03, 07:34 PM
Just curious, if a Scottish person said "I could murder a half-pint" would that be a light drinker or a potential child-murderer?
If it's either-or, a potential child-murderer. Because everyone is a potential child-murderer; that's called free will.

This is why it doesn't work to punish people for things they haven't done yet.

Particle_Man
2019-02-04, 01:07 AM
Fine, pick the meaning I meant rather than what I wrote. Be better at reading my mind! :smallsmile:

Would “I could murder a half-pint” said in a bar in Scotland make the bartender more likely to a) serve the speaker half a pint of something with alcohol in it, or b) call the police to report someone who apparently declared intent to kill a child?

The_Weirdo
2019-02-05, 01:34 AM
Fine, pick the meaning I meant rather than what I wrote. Be better at reading my mind! :smallsmile:

Would “I could murder a half-pint” said in a bar in Scotland make the bartender more likely to a) serve the speaker half a pint of something with alcohol in it, or b) call the police to report someone who apparently declared intent to kill a child?

Neither.

"Could" only means theoretical potential, after all. Theoretically, anyone could do anything that is physically possible to them.

Particle_Man
2019-02-18, 07:01 PM
1) You are failing to read my mind. Negative 10 points for your Hogwarts House. :smallbiggrin:

2) "Could" often carries the connotation of intent in daily life. "I could eat more" carries the intent of wanting to eat more food, for example.

Caerulea
2019-02-18, 11:23 PM
1. Hogwarts points should be awarded to Ravenclaw for this answer.

2. Though I don't drink, I would assume that would be a light drinker, as ˝ a pint doesn't look like a lot to me. I would question whether that phrase would come up, as the phrasing "murder" seems to convey a great desire for something, and in the case of alcohol, that should indicate a large volume, similar to the statement, "I could eat a horse". One would not say "I could eat a small meal" to mean the same thing.

3. Half-pint doesn't refer to small children, as far as I am aware. So no to that.

—Caerulea

Dion
2019-02-18, 11:29 PM

I bet Hilgya never did anything like that.

You know what? Hilgya is starting to sound Lawful Extra-Good to me.

Ruck
2019-02-18, 11:43 PM
1. Hogwarts points should be awarded to Ravenclaw for this answer.

2. Though I don't drink, I would assume that would be a light drinker, as ˝ a pint doesn't look like a lot to me. I would question whether that phrase would come up, as the phrasing "murder" seems to convey a great desire for something, and in the case of alcohol, that should indicate a large volume, similar to the statement, "I could eat a horse". One would not say "I could eat a small meal" to mean the same thing.

3. Half-pint doesn't refer to small children, as far as I am aware. So no to that.

—Caerulea

For 2, a pint is afairly standard unit of measure for one beer, so yeah, it's about half a beer, not much. I think your deduction is sound.

For 3, half-pint is definitely slang for a child or small person.

Vinyadan
2019-02-19, 06:04 AM
1)
2) "Could" often carries the connotation of intent in daily life. "I could eat more" carries the intent of wanting to eat more food, for example.

Did you just explain why people say "I could care less"?

factotum
2019-02-19, 08:07 AM
I don't see how it makes a difference anyway? If "I could care less" translates as "I want to care less than I do", it's still broken because the actual meaning is entirely the opposite!

Kish
2019-02-19, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure people say "I could care less" for the same reason they say "for all intensive purposes" and "I'd just assume"--they mishear an expression and don't think about the logic behind it before using what they think they heard themselves.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-02-19, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure people say "I could care less" for the same reason they say "for all intensive purposes" and "I'd just assume"--they mishear an expression and don't think about the logic behind it before using what they think they heard themselves.

There is also a healthy pinch of what is easier to say, from a tongue-twister perspective. "I could care less" rolls off the tongue more easily than "I couldn't care less". Given that, when used, indicates the speaker has no interest in discussing a topic, it is natural they'll take shortcuts even when dismissing it.

Similarly, "for all intensive purposes" is easier to say than "for all intents and purposes", and "I'd just assume" vs "I'd just as soon", just as in ages past, "don't" replaced "do not" and the like. Language evolution in action.

Grey Wolf

Dion
2019-02-19, 09:43 AM

To be fair, a lot of idioms are complete nonsense.

Of course I can have my cake and eat it too. How am I supposed to eat cake I dont have?

(The correct saying - you can’t eat your cake and still have it - seems to be used exclusively by people who can’t get along in society.)

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-02-19, 09:46 AM
(The correct saying - you can’t eat your cake and still have it - seems to be used exclusively by people who can’t get along in society.)

So, us?

ETA: I've never looked into it, but I have always assumed that "I'd murder an X" is a shorthand version of "I'd murder for an X", just as "you can't eat a cake and have it too" is short for the above.

Grey Wolf

Caerulea
2019-02-19, 09:53 AM
While were on the topic, could somebody explain the phrase "same difference" to me. I have never understood it, and it sounds contradictory.

—Caerulea

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-02-19, 09:57 AM
While were on the topic, could somebody explain the phrase "same difference" to me. I have never understood it, and it sounds contradictory.

—Caerulea

It normally means "the way you describe topic X is equivalent to the way I describe it in the fundamentals, despite them being outwardly different".

So e.g.

Anna: "Star Wars is a space opera"
Bob: "It's more a grand fantasy"
Anna: "Same difference"

Anna is saying that despite "space opera" and "grand fantasy" being at first glance different categories of storytelling, they consider them virtually synonymous. They are the same, despite sounding different.

Grey Wolf

Caerulea
2019-02-19, 09:59 AM
Thank you.

—Caerulea

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-02-19, 10:02 AM
Thank you.

—Caerulea

No problem. I'll be here all week.
And the next. And the next. And the next...
Grey Wolf

Aveline
2019-02-19, 11:24 AM
So, us?

ETA: I've never looked into it, but I have always assumed that "I'd murder an X" is a shorthand version of "I'd murder for an X", just as "you can't eat a cake and have it too" is short for the above.

Grey Wolf

Murder: finish savagely; make dead. I always interpreted the saying metaphorically.

Kish
2019-02-19, 11:36 AM
That doesn't actually make a lot more sense.

"So you're saying, if I eat my cake, it won't hang around uselessly taking up space until it goes stale? OH NO. WHAT A DILEMMA."

Ruck
2019-02-19, 11:40 AM
To be fair, a lot of idioms are complete nonsense.

Of course I can have my cake and eat it too. How am I supposed to eat cake I dont have?

If you eat your cake, you don't have it anymore.

factotum
2019-02-20, 02:40 AM
If you eat your cake, you don't have it anymore.

Yeah, that's pretty obviously the meaning of the proverb--you can't keep your cake and also eat it, you have to do one or the other.

Caerulea
2019-02-20, 10:24 AM
Yeah, that's pretty obviously the meaning of the proverb--you can't keep your cake and also eat it, you have to do one or the other.
Or you could bake another cake. Which I think we would all agree is much better.

—Caerulea

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-02-20, 10:32 AM
That doesn't actually make a lot more sense.

"So you're saying, if I eat my cake, it won't hang around uselessly taking up space until it goes stale? OH NO. WHAT A DILEMMA."

Kish, I'm guessing any kids you have had (if any) never threw a tantrum because they no longer had chocolate/ice cream/etc. because they had just finished eating it. If so, consider yourself lucky because, believe me, the dilemma of wanting to both have the treat forever and eating the treat is something that, at a certain age, afflicts most kids I have known, including (recently) mine.

That it is still an appropriate saying for people past that age is an indictment of our society.

Grey Wolf

Elanasaurus
2019-02-20, 01:18 PM
Kish, I'm guessing any kids you have had (if any) never threw a tantrum because they no longer had chocolate/ice cream/etc. because they had just finished eating it. If so, consider yourself lucky because, believe me, the dilemma of wanting to both have the treat forever and eating the treat is something that, at a certain age, afflicts most kids I have known, including (recently) mine.

That it is still an appropriate saying for people past that age is an indictment of our society.

Grey WolfHey, metaphorical cake can be nicer than regular cake.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-02-20, 01:25 PM
Hey, metaphorical cake can be nicer than regular cake.

My child disagrees. Stridently, if allowed.

Grey Wolf

D.One
2019-02-20, 03:02 PM
My child disagrees. Stridently, if allowed.

Grey Wolf

Yeah, beetween metaphors and candy, my kids will prefer candy 11 out of 10 times.

Vinyadan
2019-02-20, 03:20 PM
It's the chance to give some wisdom!

The child has eaten the cake, but wants to have it, too.

PARENT: You do not need the cake, because the cake was inside you all along!

CHILD: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kish
2019-02-20, 04:19 PM
CHILD: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
And rightly so, too. The parent just lied to them. The cake was only inside them after they ate it!