PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Introducing New Players to Waterdeep

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-22, 09:27 AM
Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone has a great introduction to Waterdeep for new players. My players should be getting to Waterdeep tonight to start Dragon Heist, but I want them to have a great sense of what the city feels like. I think I can do it, but do any of you have anything written that you just think is amazing for that first moment they see the city or their first few hours exploring? A video also works if you know of a good one. But I’m gonna be writing some stuff up through the day and figured I’d ask here as well.

Pex
2019-01-22, 01:13 PM
Half joking half serious.

Waterdeep = New York City
Silverymoon = Boston
Neverwinter = Chicago
Baldur's Gate = Los Angeles

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-22, 02:14 PM
Half joking half serious.

Waterdeep = New York City
Silverymoon = Boston
Neverwinter = Chicago
Baldur's Gate = Los Angeles

That's at least half good though. It's definitely something good to give them perspective on the bigness of Waterdeep. I still want to make it really sink in for the players though. When I walked the streets of Manhattan for the first time it was surreal. Same for Istanbul. So I'm trying to come up with as many sights and sounds and such as I can think of to describe. It's kind of like sensory overload without actually being there.

One thing I did was stain a couple Code Legals with coffee then baked them and burned some of the edges lightly. The City Guards will give them to the players upon entry and give them a small briefing about the city before letting them loose.