PDA

View Full Version : Optimization War'din Combat Medic - Boros Celestial Blade Pact

Ebon
2019-01-22, 11:29 AM
Been playing a lot of MTG: Arena, and so I thought it would be fun to come up with a character from the setting. The main question I have for the Board is what ASI progression would you recommend? I'm starting with Resilient Constitution, and want to get Polearm Master and Great Weapon Master as my first two ASI's. I'm probably going to pump Charisma after that, but have also been thinking about some other feats like Mobile, and Lucky. Anyone play a pure Feat progression character similar to this one? Here's the character:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2duwdxv.jpg

Paladin 2 / Celestial Warlock 1+ Blade Pact
Human Variant – Resilient Constitution
16, 10, 14, 8, 10, 16
ASI: PAM, GWM, +2 CHA, +2 CHA

Paladin 2: Heavy Armor, Smite, Defense Fighting Style AC +1, Divine Sense, Lay on Hands, Proficiency in Con, Wis, and Cha.

Paladin Spells: Bless, Cure Wounds, Command, Shield of Faith

Warlock Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Improved Pact Weapon (+1 Magical Polearm), Thirsting Blade, Trickster's Escape, Ascendant Step

Celestial Blade Pact: Healing Light (1 + Level, D6 Bonus Action 60' Heal), Level 6 Radiant Soul: Resistant to Radiant Damage and add Cha Modifier to Fire and Radiant Spell Damage to one target.

Cantrips: Agonizing Eldritch Blast, Sacred Flame, Mage Hand, and Light (work great together)

Spell List:
(1) Hex, Expeditious Retreat
(2) Invisibility, Misty Step (later swap to Thunder Step)
(3) Counterspell, Fly, Revivify
(4) Sickening Radiance (works with Radiant Soul), Wall of Fire
(5) Greater Restoration, Wall of Light for Wall of Fire – Warlock Level 9 (10 known spells)

Something I noticed is that thanks to the 16 Strength, the Celestial has the same to hit bonus as a Hexblade if they are both going to take GWM and PAM. The Damage is actually really balanced between Melee and Ranged thanks to Agonizing Blast. I'm pretty happy with the spell list too, allowing a lot of mobility and healing with some big AOE Damage spells.

Any Suggestions?

Finback
2019-01-22, 10:11 PM
Just noting I ran a vengadin 5/celestlock 3, and it was a LOT of fun. I ran him as classic sword/board though, so took Shield Mastery and War Caster instead.

Rukelnikov
2019-01-23, 12:14 AM
You may be interested in Warcaster for the advantage in concentation checks, if you do that though you should get BB or GFB, since you still have 1 cantrip to pick.

Also check Sentinel, If your paty has a lot of non-melee's it will help you hold the line immensely.

Ebon
2019-01-24, 07:09 PM
Those are all good suggestions and worthy of considering. The SCAG cantrips won't work as well with this build though because they have Extra Attack with the +1 Pact weapon. I especially like Warcaster and Sentinel, but I think maxing out charisma is probably best as a caster.

That was another thing I noticed, if I stick with Celestial Warlock, by level 13 I can take the Plane Shift Mystic Arcanum, and literally become a Planeswalker. Kind of neat to pull off in the Ravnica setting.

Anyone else ever play a Planeswalker?