PDA

View Full Version : Help with a gestalt character

Lethan
2019-01-22, 02:09 PM
I've recently gotten the idea for a character, but I could use some help to finish the it.

The basics are a gestalt character. I'm building a Dungeon Crasher on one side and a monk/cleric/fist of the forest on the other. I'm using a goliath as the race or maybe human (with the Jotunbrud feat).

Here is what I got so far:
1st level: fighter/monk
2nd level: fighter/monk
3rd level: fighter/cleric
4th level: fighter/cleric
5th level: fighter/fist of the forest
6th level: fighter/fist of the forest
7th level: cleric/fist of the forest

And my feats are going to be:
Great fortitude - 1st level character
Improved bull rush - 1st level fighter
Improved unarmed - 1st level monk
Combat reflexes - 2nd level monk
Dungeon Crasher - 2nd level fighter
power attack - 3rd level character
Dungeon Crasher - 4th level fighter
knockback - 6th level character
Dungeon Crasher - 6th level fighter

But what to do next? I could continue to level as a fighter/cleric or I could take level(s) of barbarian (and spend a feat on extra rages) and go for the prestige class Bear Warrior path. Only thing about that, is casting and the bear form thing...
I originally intended for this character to wield a reach hammer and beat people up with punches and kicks, when they got too close. Maybe I should just go complete unarmed and then go down the road of the Sacred Fist.

Any suggestions as how to proceed with this character?

Kayblis
2019-01-22, 02:19 PM
As you're going Dungeoncrasher, you'll probably be charging a lot. I'd say Shock Trooper is a great feat for any charging build, as it gives you many options to work with. If you want more damage, you can also pick Combat Brute, another tactical feat with extra bonuses for power attack.

IIRC, unarmed attacks are "light" weapons, so you can't use Power Attack with them. I might be wrong though.

liquidformat
2019-01-22, 04:05 PM
As you're going Dungeoncrasher, you'll probably be charging a lot. I'd say Shock Trooper is a great feat for any charging build, as it gives you many options to work with. If you want more damage, you can also pick Combat Brute, another tactical feat with extra bonuses for power attack.

IIRC, unarmed attacks are "light" weapons, so you can't use Power Attack with them. I might be wrong though.

PA explicitly says you can use it with unarmed and natural attacks even though they are 'light' weapons. I am AFB but looks like you missed Fighter 4 feat, is that one also Dungeon Crasher? Can't remember.

Some interesting alterations you could look at: Bear totem barbarian 3/Wild shape ranger 5/fist of the forest 3/primeval 10. Bear totem barbarian 3 gives improved grapple, toughness, and Great Fortitude, where as ranger gives you endurance. fist of the forest requires Great Fortitude , Improved Unarmed Strike , Power Attack, requires Endurance , Self-Sufficient, Toughness. So you would need to take Self-Sufficient, Improved Unarmed Strike , Power Attack.

Alternatively Bear totem barbarian 3/Overwhelming attack monk 2/fist of the forest 3/primeval 10. Overwhelming attack monk 2 gives Improved Unarmed Strike , Power Attack, improved bullrush. That means you only need self-sufficient to take fist of the forest and primeval.

Going primeval with a dire puma gives you climb, pounce, improved grab, and rake you are literally a kongfu lion that can climb up walls. Wild shape ranger gives you more times per day to be in primal form whereas Overwhelming attack monk gives you more open feats and sets you up very well for shock trooper. On the other side if you are going human (with the Jotunbrud feat) cleric works well; if you are a goliath then I think psychic warrior might be a better choice given that expansion isn't type dependent and Righteous Might comes on too late. Totemist is also an interesting choice providing extra attacks and movement modes.

Lethan
2019-01-23, 02:13 AM
Yeah, fighter level four are Dungeon Crasher - updated my post to reflect that.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into the classes (and feats) and see if there's something I like :smallsmile:

My first idea was to make a Goliath wielding a two-handed hammer knocking baddies around the field. Then I thought up the monk-part in order to get improved unarmed and combat reflexes. Then it kind of went from there. I still like my first vision of the big brute knocking people around.

Once again, thanks for the input. I knew I came to the right place to get some feedback :smallsmile:

Lethan
2019-01-23, 05:29 PM
After a bit of work, here is how the character is shaping out:

Here is what I got so far:
1st level: fighter/monk
2nd level: fighter/monk
3rd level: fighter/barbarian
4th level: fighter/barbarian
5th level fighter/barbarian
6th level: fighter/fist of the forest
7th level: ?/fist of the forest
8th level: ?/fist of the forest
9th level: ?/Primeval etc.

And my feats are going to be:

First level

Endurance - 1st level character feat
Combat reflexes - 1st level fighter bonus feat
Improved unarmed - 1st level monk feature
Power attack - 1st level monk bonus feat

Second level

Improved bull rush - 2nd level monk bonus feat
Dungeon Crasher - 2nd level fighter bonus feat

Third level

Self-sufficient - 3rd level character feat
Toughness - 1st level barbarian bonus feat

Fourth level

Knockback - 4th level fighter bonus feat
Improved grapple - 2nd level barbarian bonus feat

Fifth level

Great fortitude - 3rd level barbarian bonus feat

Sixth level

- 6th level character
Dungeon Crasher - 6th level fighter bonus feat

I'm considering druid from 7th level - even though it's a late entry. I'm also considering if I should choose Shock Trooper, Combat Brute or something else as my feat in level 6.