PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Older Edition Modules Updated to 3.5

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-22, 04:51 PM
I wanted to compile of a list of modules from older editions that were updated to 3.5; both officially and via homebrew.

If anyone has any conversion guides/tips, those would be welcome too.

Thanks!

EDIT: Links for the homebrew would be ideal. :smallsmile:

Tomb of Horrors
Tomb of the Mud Sorcerer (Dungeon #138)
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
White Plume Mountain
Expedition to Undermountain
Iggwilv’s Legacy - The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Return to the Temple of the Frog (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20070223a)

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
Outside the Mountain
Diseased!

Empty for now...

Saintheart
2019-01-22, 08:59 PM
Would sequels across different editions count? Because if so, there's Temple of Elemental Evil and Return to same...

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-22, 09:01 PM
Would sequels across different editions count? Because if so, there's Temple of Elemental Evil and Return to same...

Eh, close enough. I'll make a separate spoiler tag for them.

Troacctid
2019-01-22, 09:19 PM
Ravenloft was adapted to 3.5 as Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. White Plume Mountain received an online adaptation as "White Plume Mountain Revised".

The other adventures in the Expeditions series are not shot-by-shot remakes of old adventures, but they do update classic locations to the new edition.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-22, 09:23 PM
Ravenloft was adapted to 3.5 as Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. White Plume Mountain received an online adaptation as "White Plume Mountain Revised".

The other adventures in the Expeditions series are not shot-by-shot remakes of old adventures, but they do update classic locations to the new edition.

Thanks, I'll add those two to the list.

Zombimode
2019-01-23, 05:07 AM
If anyone has any conversion guides/tips, those would be welcome too.

I recently ran my Players through The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (they didn't came far... but that is another story), converted to 3.5 by myself.

From my experience, some parts are very easy to convert. So easy in fact, that you can do it on the fly.

Other parts are very timeconsuming.

Easy things:
- enemies that already have a 3.5 Version
- traps, secret doors etc. (just assume a base DC of 20 for everything, then adjust if necessary)
- skill DCs (either you can figure out the DC by the task, or else assume a base DC of 20)

Hard things:
- custom enemies / creatures that didn't get an update to 3e
- NPC enemies (since you have to rebuild them from the ground up)

Khedrac
2019-01-23, 05:16 AM
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is not a "direct conversion" of I6: Ravenloft - it adds quite a bit to the surrounding lands. "Adaptation" is a good term for it (as used by Troacctid).

Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk is based on the 2nd Ed module WGR1: Ruins of Castle Greyhawk - but after an earthquake. I think it is deserving of being called a sequel.
It contains a tribute to EX1: Dungeonland (the use of the the demiplane is too small to be anything other than a tribute).
Not having owned WG6: The Isle of the Ape I don't know how the use of that demiplane compares, but there is a definite link.

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is defintiely a tribute to Q1:Queen of the Dmeonweb Pits.

I think there was a "sequel" to X2: The Isle of Dread in Dungeon magazine, but it changed the campaign world for the island which is going a bit far!

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-23, 11:43 AM
I recently ran my Players through The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (they didn't came far... but that is another story), converted to 3.5 by myself.

From my experience, some parts are very easy to convert. So easy in fact, that you can do it on the fly.

Other parts are very timeconsuming.

Easy things:
- enemies that already have a 3.5 Version
- traps, secret doors etc. (just assume a base DC of 20 for everything, then adjust if necessary)
- skill DCs (either you can figure out the DC by the task, or else assume a base DC of 20)

Hard things:
- custom enemies / creatures that didn't get an update to 3e
- NPC enemies (since you have to rebuild them from the ground up)

Thank you for the tips.

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is not a "direct conversion" of I6: Ravenloft - it adds quite a bit to the surrounding lands. "Adaptation" is a good term for it (as used by Troacctid).

Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk is based on the 2nd Ed module WGR1: Ruins of Castle Greyhawk - but after an earthquake. I think it is deserving of being called a sequel.
It contains a tribute to EX1: Dungeonland (the use of the the demiplane is too small to be anything other than a tribute).
Not having owned WG6: The Isle of the Ape I don't know how the use of that demiplane compares, but there is a definite link.

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is defintiely a tribute to Q1:Queen of the Dmeonweb Pits.

I think there was a "sequel" to X2: The Isle of Dread in Dungeon magazine, but it changed the campaign world for the island which is going a bit far!

Thanks, I'll add them to the list.

If you can remember which issue of Dungeon Magazine The Isle of Dread was in, that'd be appreciated.

emulord
2019-01-23, 02:56 PM
Theres an online version of Dungeonland that was updated to 3.5.
Its not fully complete, so you need both versions to fill in the blanks :P

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-23, 02:57 PM
Theres an online version of Dungeonland that was updated to 3.5.
Its not fully complete, so you need both versions to fill in the blanks :P

Is it a homebrew conversion? Do you have a link?

daremetoidareyo
2019-01-23, 03:27 PM
This is not what you are asking for oh, but I think it might help you. https://www.adventurelookup.com/adventures/

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-23, 03:32 PM
This is not what you are asking for oh, but I think it might help you. https://www.adventurelookup.com/adventures/

Thanks, that's going straight into my bookmarks. :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2019-01-23, 03:49 PM
Expedition to Undermountain?

Enworld used to have a forum of home-brew conversion, including ToEE (3.0 from memory); I think the forum went down...

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-23, 03:53 PM
Expedition to Undermountain?

I'll add it to the list.

Enworld used to have a forum of home-brew conversion, including ToEE (3.0 from memory); I think the forum went down...

Was this what you were thinking of? (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?245278-Attempt-to-rebuild-conversion-library-please-upload-conversions-to-3-5-here)

Thurbane
2019-01-23, 03:55 PM
Was this what you were thinking of? (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?245278-Attempt-to-rebuild-conversion-library-please-upload-conversions-to-3-5-here)

I'll confirm later: my work PC blocks Enworld, for some stupid reaso

unseenmage
2019-01-24, 10:20 AM
Pathfinder's Iron Gods adventure path and nation of Numeria have been compared to the old Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. IIRC they were confirmed to be an homage at the very least.

There might be a web article that converts the EttBP creatures to 3.x. Am almost certain I remember reading it when I was looking for official 3.x robots.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-24, 11:21 AM
Pathfinder's Iron Gods adventure path and nation of Numeria have been compared to the old Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. IIRC they were confirmed to be an homage at the very least.

So, more of a sequel. How difficult would it be to convert it 3.5?

There might be a web article that converts the EttBP creatures to 3.x. Am almost certain I remember reading it when I was looking for official 3.x robots.

Was this what you were talking about? (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/d20m/20060505a)

It converts a few bits and pieces, but it doesn't do all the work for you.

Troacctid
2019-01-24, 12:49 PM
The whole Savage Tide adventure path is inspired by Isle of Dread, if that's what you're thinking of? It's not a sequel or a remake though.

Efrate
2019-01-24, 01:22 PM
A fan did a damn nice Tomb of Abysthor conversion iirc. I'll see if i can find it. Also I think multiple attempts at WLD have been started but not finished.

edit: my google fu fails me, i might have it bookmarked at home when I am done working today ill check.

Thurbane
2019-01-24, 01:56 PM

I'll confirm later: my work PC blocks Enworld, for some stupid reason

Yes, that is an attempt to re-create the original Enworld page where the conversions were. Many of them seem to be very well made - ToEE is the only one I have examined in depth.

Mike Miller
2019-01-24, 02:21 PM
Also I think multiple attempts at WLD have been started but not finished.

WLD is already 3.5...

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-24, 02:47 PM
WLD is already 3.5...

Did they convert the entire dungeon? I was under the impression they just did the first couple floors.

Mike Miller
2019-01-24, 06:25 PM
World's Largest Dungeon was made for 3.5. It was published in 2004. There is no conversion. I have it and have run it. .......3.5

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-24, 06:26 PM
World's Largest Dungeon was made for 3.5. It was published in 2004. There is no conversion. I have it and have run it. .......3.5

I see, thank you for explaining.

Thurbane
2019-01-24, 06:56 PM
In addition to White Plume Mountain, WotC released a 7-page expansion to the adventure called Outside the Mountain.
Same with Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: the 21-page expansion was called Diseased!
There may have been more online expansions for the other modules listed in the OP I'm not aware of.
There was a 3.5 adventure Iggwilv’s Legacy - The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth that was in Dungeon mag, and freely available online, which is an update and expansion tot he 1E Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.
Also freely online at one stage was a 3.5 adventure Return to the Temple of the Frog, which was an update/expansion to the Basic D&D module.

There was a short online 3.0 called test of the Demonweb, but it doesn't seem directly related to EttDP.
Another short online 3.0 Adventure called The Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl: not directly related to the 1E Against the Giants modules as far as I can tell.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-24, 07:01 PM
In addition to White Plume Mountain, WotC released a 7-page expansion to the adventure called Outside the Mountain.
Same with Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: the 21-page expansion was called Diseased!

So, those are sequels to the originals?

There may have been more online expansions for the other modules listed in the OP I'm not aware of.
There was a 3.5 adventure Iggwilv’s Legacy - The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth that was in Dungeon mag, and freely available online, which is an update and expansion tot he 1E Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

Which issue of Dungeon? And if it's freely available, can you post a link?

Also freely online at one stage was a 3.5 adventure Return to the Temple of the Frog, which was an update/expansion to the Basic D&D module.

Likewise, can you post a link?

EDIT: I found it via Google. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20070223a) It's from WotC's old archives.

There was a short online 3.0 called test of the Demonweb, but it doesn't seem directly related to EttDP.
Another short online 3.0 Adventure called The Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl: not directly related to the 1E Against the Giants modules as far as I can tell.

Thank you very much, I'll some of these to the list.

Thurbane
2019-01-24, 07:35 PM
So, those are sequels to the originals?

Pretty much, yeah.

Which issue of Dungeon? And if it's freely available, can you post a link?

No, WotC took the link down; may be available by the Wayback machine or similar. Was in Dungeon issue 151, I believe. At that time, WotC was posting PDF snippet from Dragon and Dungeon on their site for download.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-24, 07:41 PM
Pretty much, yeah.

Okay, I'll add them to the sequel sections.

No, WotC took the link down; may be available by the Wayback machine or similar. Was in Dungeon issue 151, I believe. At that time, WotC was posting PDF snippet from Dragon and Dungeon on their site for download.

Ah, too bad. Thanks for telling me the issue of Dungeon.

unseenmage
2019-01-24, 08:15 PM
So, more of a sequel. How difficult would it be to convert it 3.5?

Was this what you were talking about? (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/d20m/20060505a)

It converts a few bits and pieces, but it doesn't do all the work for you.

You could practically play it as-is. Though it's definitely not a sequel. You could easily make it one though.

And yes, that is what I was remembering.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-24, 08:19 PM
You could practically play it as-is. Though it's definitely not a sequel. You could easily make it one though.

I mostly wondering about the monsters, since Pathfinder has slightly different rules for them.

And yes, that is what I was remembering.

It's interesting, they use content from d20 Future to update some of the module to 3.5.

I used the Police Bots in a campaign I ran not too long ago.

unseenmage
2019-01-24, 08:26 PM
I mostly wondering about the monsters, since Pathfinder has slightly different rules for them.

Not different enough IMHO. Should work just fine.

Lots of robots that are a) susceptible to crits b) have Hardness, and c) laser guns for natural attacks.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-24, 08:40 PM
Not different enough IMHO. Should work just fine.

Lots of robots that are a) susceptible to crits b) have Hardness, and c) laser guns for natural attacks.

How interesting, I'll take a look. :smallsmile: