PDA

View Full Version : Cheap ass magic item

Raishoiken
2019-01-22, 10:30 PM
What exactly would are all the applicable ways to minimize the price of buying a one use magic item? i've been afb for a hot minute so i dont remember the resources i used for this in the past amd I've been after a way to make a single use POA item dirt cheap. Any ideaa?

Edit: i should add that more specifically im looking to reduce the buying price rather than a crafting cost

tstewt1921
2019-01-22, 10:44 PM
If you're crafting them, there are the crafting feats, legendary artisan, exceptional artisan etc. I'm not sure of other ways of reducing prices.

Thurbane
2019-01-22, 11:06 PM
There's the usual shenanigans of making it only usable by a certain race, class and alignment to reduce costs.

Bear in mind any custom item needs final approval from the DM.

Kalkra
2019-01-22, 11:43 PM
The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1000.0)

Ruethgar
2019-01-23, 01:24 AM
Legendary, Exceptional, Extraordinary Artisan with triple Magical Artisan on those gets you a 68% reduction in cost. Another Magical Artisan on whatever the item is would get you to 76% off and then make it a Rune Circle version for 80% off and Wondrous Architecture for 50% off by an Apprentice Crafter for 10% off with a guild affiliation for 10% off. 98% off the cost and it’s built into a building.

Edit: Also Ravenloft devices are non-magical and replicate magic-like effects. But being no-mag means they are True Creation and Fabrication goals which can be a good bit cheaper than actual magical items to get castings of.

Raishoiken
2019-01-24, 01:59 PM
Legendary, Exceptional, Extraordinary Artisan with triple Magical Artisan on those gets you a 68% reduction in cost. Another Magical Artisan on whatever the item is would get you to 76% off and then make it a Rune Circle version for 80% off and Wondrous Architecture for 50% off by an Apprentice Crafter for 10% off with a guild affiliation for 10% off. 98% off the cost and it’s built into a building.

Edit: Also Ravenloft devices are non-magical and replicate magic-like effects. But being no-mag means they are True Creation and Fabrication goals which can be a good bit cheaper than actual magical items to get castings of.

that's the exact reson i want the POA item: to use it to craft a device as they're both nonmagic and wouldn't require a skill check. Unless using the major/true creation spells from magic items dont require that checl in whoch case major creation serves this purpose infinitely better

Ashtagon
2019-01-24, 02:49 PM
No such thing. The ass is not a valid magic item slot.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-01-24, 03:51 PM

Actually, it is. Oriental adventures has a bit on replacing western garb with eastern for magic items and suggested replacing the cloak items with hakama. If you didn't know, hakama are the large, flowy pants/trousers that samurai wear. Therefore, any cloak item can be made into pants/trousers, aka ass coverings. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2019-01-24, 04:00 PM

Regdar's SuppRepository?

Ruethgar
2019-01-24, 07:19 PM
The base 6 artisan feats can be obtained by one reading of severe taint with a ritually added Evil subtype or Necropolitan if you feel like undead. There’s also a location in I think Complete Scoundrel for another item feat. Then the rest of your build can be for w/e else and you still have some pretty cheap items on down time. That 68% didn’t include the 50% cost reduction for crafting it yourself so there is that so you are paying 84% less than someone just buying the item.

Raishoiken
2019-01-29, 10:28 PM
The base 6 artisan feats can be obtained by one reading of severe taint with a ritually added Evil subtype or Necropolitan if you feel like undead. There’s also a location in I think Complete Scoundrel for another item feat. Then the rest of your build can be for w/e else and you still have some pretty cheap items on down time. That 68% didn’t include the 50% cost reduction for crafting it yourself so there is that so you are paying 84% less than someone just buying the item.

I'm not really familiar with taint, hownwould this work? How much of this is usable at first level?

Ruethgar
2019-01-29, 11:15 PM
Taint grants a feat per level of taint and has two forms of taint, mental and physical, that each reach three levels. Necropolitans can get severely tainted pretty easily and you can get that at level 2. Of course you can always Pazuzu wish at level one to get the Evil subtype which will do the same assuming you have twice the Cha as you do Wis and Con. Magic locations are a bit trickier and need significant gold and several levels to get to typically, but unreasonably could be written into a backstory.