PDA

View Full Version : War Wizard Arcane Deflection, Dragon's Breath Spell

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-01-23, 06:04 AM
God, what a clumsy title.

So when you use Arcane Deflection as a War Wizard you can only cast cantrip's on your next turn, but if you are already concentrating on Dragon's Breath (On yourself) can you still use it as an action?

If I cast Dragon's Breath on a fighter, he can use it even though he can't normally cast spells, which mean it isn't using the Cast A Spell Action. What do you thing?

I feel like this spell was made for this subclass. It's basicly burning hands that only cost 1 spell slot and can be used every turn for a minute. It doesn't do a ton of damage, but it spreads that damage out. It also puts you close to the front and makes Arcane Deflection more important.

UnintensifiedFa
2019-01-23, 06:49 AM
You’re right! The cast a spell action is used to cast the spell (this is when the spells description takes effect) every subsequent action taken within the bounds of the spell, like reactivating dragon breath, is not casting a spell.
This has a few implications.
1) it cannot be counterspelled, as counterspell takes effect when they cast the spell as a reaction.
2)I is not affected by anything that says “when you cast a spell”.
3)it can be a held action without using the complex rules for holding a spell.

Zanthy1
2019-01-23, 07:35 AM
Yes you can cast it on yourself, and so long as you concentrate on it, do things that would normally not allow the spell to be cast. The spell only does something when you first cast it (in this cast, allow you to breath an element for a minute), and once the magic has been done, the effect remains until resolved or canceled.