PDA

View Full Version : Glass

Dr.Samurai
2019-01-23, 10:04 AM
I saw Glass opening weekend. Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies, and when my brother and I were sitting in the theaters watching Split, I recognized the music at the end and realized the connection before the reveal. It was quite an exciting moment. I was pretty stoked for Glass, and while my excitement and anticipation may have colored my thoughts about the movie after seeing it, I still have to say I was disappointed. It may be that a second viewing might change that, now knowing what I'm in for. But I don't think it will shake the feeling that this was a let down.

M Knight funded Split and Glass (I believe), so there's no conflict here between his vision and anyone else's. This is very much the story he wants to tell for his own original characters (insofar as his own resources allowed of course). Perhaps the fact that he went through this effort after nearly two decades adds an unfair expectation for the trilogy, but the events of Glass seem anti-climactic. I'm left wondering what he wants us to take away from these characters, which may be the point (or I may be a dunce). But his characteristic twists in this movie don't seem earned or set up well. They happen and you're sort of like... oh, ok, I didn't know that was a thing we were really concerned about.

Has anyone else seen it?

Of all the characters I was really looking forward to seeing David and Elijah. What would their interactions be like? Elijah created David, and in assuming his destiny as a hero, David has Elijah imprisoned. I was looking forward to this dynamic, but it doesn't really ever take place. Elijah doesn't speak for nearly half the movie. David has few lines, similar to Unbreakable, but whereas he is still the focus of that movie, Glass focuses much more on the Horde/Beast. McAvoy is incredible, but this really felt like a sequel to Split as opposed to the final movie in a trilogy with three main characters.

David doesn't have much going on in this movie, except questioning his abilities very much like he did in the first movie. Then he learns the truth at the end before dying by a regular mook. I have to say this was very disappointing.

Elijah's plan seems great, but then you realize it was never his plan at all. His real plan was to stream the battle outside the facility. For me, I never really questioned why people don't know there are others out there with abilities. David lived his whole life not really wondering why he never got sick or never broke a bone. I just assumed either other people also had "realistic" or "muted" superpowers that can fly under the radar, OR David is just one in a billion. Afterall, Elijah didn't really consider himself to have super powers in Unbreakable, he just had very fragile bones. He looked for someone that had unbreakable bones, someone on the opposite side of the spectrum, and found David. But I got the impression that comics are tall tales inspired by real life people with extraordinary, but "realistic" abilities, and so it was never a question of why weren't there more of these people, why didn't the world know? They were rare and inspired an art form that exaggerated their abilities.

But the movie Glass has a twist that there is a secret organization that actually prevents the world from knowing about all of these super people, and Elijah's master plan is to foil these people and reveal the super people to the world. This all sort of falls flat for me, as these were never really questions I was asking. Also, Elijah's plan at the tower is to have a showdown to reveal the supers to the world. The twist is that he is actually doing it in front of the facility. Doesn't do much for me.

Additionally, the line about "this is an origin story" threw me off as well. I had already been thinking that Casey might have some abilities because of the comment about "true love and compassion", it seemed like maybe they were setting her up to have powers. And Joseph was so involved, I thought when Elijah said that and then they killed David, Joseph would manifest some powers and Casey as well. But I guess the origin story is that the world knows and now more super people will reveal themselves? I don't know.

Legato Endless
2019-01-23, 11:15 AM
Yeah...

The Trilogy is basically supposed to be an origin story. First for David, Crumb and Glass, and then for the world waking up after the conspiracy breaks. Presumably given the extremely explicit comic book meta elements of the narrative, the leaked stream sets off a chain reaction of people becoming aware of their powers and society is forced to accept superheroes moving among them.

The film absolutely suffers from Shyamalan's need for twists. Glass taking advantage of the cameras in the facility is well foreshadowed, and the Beast's father getting killed by Glass is fine (if underwhelming) but the ancient conspiracy comes out of nowhere and hijacks the last thirty minutes of the movie.

It also really doesn't add to the story and you could easily cut it without losing anything. It's bizarre that a ten thousand year old cabal would just fold to one leaked video on the internet, especially in the age of digital manipulation and fake news makes it seem easy to be swept away as a practical joke. Apparently only world breaking revelations go viral in the Unbreakable universe.

It's also a explanation that raises more questions than it answers. Capes being rare or muted easily explains why people aren't aware of them. The film itself even further makes the conspiracy redundant because it confirms there is a psychological element to tapping into powers. David has to be in the right head space to access his reserves of strength. The Beast needs the horde's faith to manifest. And Glass once he finds his opposite transforms from a passionate nerd to a mastermind.

But the film's greatest weakness is how anemic it is with characterization. David gets very little to do outside of the promising beginning. He only gets a few brief interactions with Elijah and he only fights Crumb. The Beast can't really anchor the movie because all of his personas are more 1 trait gimmicks than people. He wasn't the view point character in Split. It's a great opportunity for McAvoy, but hearing the Beast growl about the broken gets old quick. Glass is the ostensible protagonist, but he's stuck pretending he's sedated for half the film.

The secondary characters don't do any better. This leaves the psychologist whose character is largely a facade based on the big reveal, and a considerable amount of establishing the facility as the fifth wheel to this movie, leaving us with oddly little development for a 2 hour movie. Two characters go through crises of faith, and Glass is only here for Act 2.

If one were to try to fix this without just making an entirely different movie, I'd cut David and the Beast out for a sequel and focus on Glass finding a new superhuman in the facility and breaking out versus the psychologist gaslighting them into believing they're normal. Or have Glass only pretend to be drugged for one scene and then breakout of the facility much earlier and get the three supers some dramatic exchanges. Either way cut the conspiracy out completely.

Narkis
2019-01-23, 02:40 PM
I'll just agree with everything you guys said. I loved Unbreakable. I liked Split. Glass was far, far below my expectations. Shyamalan can only create something good by accident, and I'll never believe otherwise again.

Magic_Hat
2019-01-23, 04:33 PM
At first I had no interest in Glass or the two films that proceeded it. Then I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp56hdBkN2Y

So I guess I got to finish it. So first I got to start it. Anyone know if either Unbreakable and/or Split is on Netflix? I'll actually pay money to rent them, but if I can save a few bucks then obviously I'll be cheap.

Narkis
2019-01-23, 04:45 PM
At first I had no interest in Glass or the two films that proceeded it. Then I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp56hdBkN2Y

So I guess I got to finish it. So first I got to start it. Anyone know if either Unbreakable and/or Split is on Netflix? I'll actually pay money to rent them, but if I can save a few bucks then obviously I'll be cheap.

I just checked. Split is in, but Unbreakable isn't.

Magic_Hat
2019-01-23, 05:07 PM
I just checked. Split is in, but Unbreakable isn't.

NO! Now what am I gonna do? I guess stop complaining and being melodramatic and actually legally pay to view it.

WalkingTarget
2019-01-23, 05:33 PM
NO! Now what am I gonna do? I guess stop complaining and being melodramatic and actually legally pay to view it.

Thoughts on not having to pay: check your library (http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/900268578).

Zalabim
2019-01-25, 03:03 AM
I enjoyed it.

There's really a lot that's obviously 'off' through the movie, but the most obvious one is when all the side characters (Elijah's Mom, David's Son, and Kevin's Gf/survivor) come on the scene, Mr. Glass says the main characters have arrived. Testing their faith in the the three title characters was as much part of the plot. And the plot, though their faith doesn't really waver in the face of the tests. They offer the more heartfelt rebuttals, too. Elijah just doesn't say anything most of the time, David doesn't seem shaken, but can't offer much more than a mild-mannered No, and the Horde has a real problem with it, having its faith already shaken by David's strength earlier. The fans are more vehement, and more important in the end, than the supers themselves.

The psych-iatrist said she'd been seeing more and more cases of this specific delusion (to Elijah's Mom). Actually, she said a lot of things that probably got back to Mr. Glass and that it seems obvious she shouldn't have said at the time. She was either really overconfident, trying to push Mr. Glass into some kind of response, or she was actually trying to break the cabal from the inside for some reason. Her motivation is left vague. I can't automatically accept her stated reasoning. She doesn't look outsmarted. She looks like she's secretly complicit. Yes, she seems upset that Mr. Glass's plan seems to have worked, but she's not immediately silencing the survivors, and she's the one who declared Glass dead, the one who offered David a glimpse of the secret cabal while he was dying, and in her "moving on to the next ones" speech said she believes their abilities were real. She didn't want them to die thinking they were crazy, but now she's gonna go convince the next super they find that he or she is just crazy. Sure.
With just talking about Unbreakable, Elijah was able to find David after disasters just near Philadelphia with a total body count of 513. Even if he's also checking disasters in the news the world over, finding a superhuman ability, of that type, in the same city, with such a low body count would be either extremely lucky, or suggest that there's probably hundreds of thousands of some-sort-of-super in just the US.

D-naras
2019-02-04, 03:12 AM
I went to the theater stoked for it, but I ended up hating it.

I found the extreme close-ups grating, especially when most of them were spent saying the saying thing over and over.

What was Elijah's plan? How long has he been faking sedation? He wanted to reveal to the public, that supers exist, and he knew that David existed, so why stay locked up in a mental institution for 19 years when he could break out at any moment? Why not escape and force David to reveal himself 19 years ago? He showed no signs of knowing about the conspiracy, no one did.

Peeve 1: Why did the ancient conspiracy use three leaf clovers as a sign? Were they all Irish? Where they the coalition of leprechauns? Why did they meet at bars and pretend to be costumers and wait for the 1 muggle to leave before they drop the act and talk business? Get an office or something.

Peeve 2: Why did everyone always call super humans, super heroes? Of the 3 supers, only one was a hero. The other 2 were clearly villains and they knew it.

Peeve 3: The focus on comic books was also kind of narmy for me. I get that for Glass's character, but not for Casey and David's son. So Superman jumped high and didn't fly at first, so supers exist?

GrayDeath
2019-02-04, 01:31 PM
I loved Unbreakable but missed Split (the reason being, well, Big S. ^^).

Sadly its not on netflix here, so I either need to find it or wait until Glass is on the small Screen.

Without spoilering, the Trailer shown above and the fact I loved the Interplay between Mr. Glass and Bruce Willis`Character are the main reasons I want to see it.

Will I be dissapointed?

Mordar
2019-02-04, 01:38 PM
Without spoilering, the Trailer shown above and the fact I loved the Interplay between Mr. Glass and Bruce Willis`Character are the main reasons I want to see it.

Will I be dissapointed?

You might find rewatching Unbreakable is more fulfilling.

- M

danzibr
2019-02-04, 07:03 PM
Loved Unbreakable. Couldn’t find Split on Netflix or Hulu.

Cikomyr
2019-02-09, 10:15 PM
Just came back from seeing it. I loved it. It's somewhat anticlimactic, but then again, this is a psychological thriller, not meant to be Avenger superhero fest.

Magic_Hat
2019-02-10, 04:20 AM
Just came back from seeing it. I loved it. It's somewhat anticlimactic, but then again, this is a psychological thriller, not meant to be Avenger superhero fest.

So a villain that isn't an one dimensional, trite, unintentional joke?