PDA

View Full Version : Heartwarder PrC Prerequisites and Optimized Bard

RighteousPauper
2019-01-23, 12:44 PM
As a DM, I am looking for a quality, if not optimized, build for my Bard. I looked into Heartwarder, and the flavor of the class matched what I am looking for in a PrC to top off the build. But...

Why does a Support Bard PrC have dodge, mobility, weapon proficiency (whip), and Speak Language (Sylvan)? I understand the other prerequisites, but those just seem weird, and out of place. The developer(s) of the class must have had an Idea as to what they wanted the Heartwarder to build out of, any ideas?

Fair Warning, I am also considering Sublime Chord, just in case people looking to help optimize my Bard suggest that. How many levels in Sublime Chord if I'm also going into Heartwarder?

Edenbeast
2019-01-24, 04:20 AM
As a DM, I am looking for a quality, if not optimized, build for my Bard. I looked into Heartwarder, and the flavor of the class matched what I am looking for in a PrC to top off the build. But...

Why does a Support Bard PrC have dodge, mobility, weapon proficiency (whip), and Speak Language (Sylvan)? I understand the other prerequisites, but those just seem weird, and out of place. The developer(s) of the class must have had an Idea as to what they wanted the Heartwarder to build out of, any ideas?

Fair Warning, I am also considering Sublime Chord, just in case people looking to help optimize my Bard suggest that. How many levels in Sublime Chord if I'm also going into Heartwarder?

The Heartwarder is prestige class for worshippers of Sune. It's open to various classes such as clerics, bards and sorcerers, who all benefit from increased charisma. I don't consider it a support bard PrC, although you could definitely use it for that. Speak language (Sylvan) you have to learn because you learn several Fey powers and eventually become Fey yourself. The whip is Sune's favoured weapon and therefor makes sense as a champion of Sune. Dodge and Mobility, well yeah, they are kind of useful for when you have to get in and out of combat, for when you want to use your Lips of Rapture ability, for example, which requires you to kiss the recipient... Spring Attack is next and easy to pick up since you have the requirements. You can dance across the battlefield striking foes with your whip and dealing out kisses to your friends. Oh those charming moves.

sleepyphoenixx
2019-01-24, 08:49 AM

Bards are automatically proficient with whips, so that's a non-issue.
They also have Speak Language as a class skill so knowledge of Sylvan only costs a single skill point.
Dodge and Mobility are pretty crap but for the longest time (pretty much all of the earlier PrCs) they were the developers go-to prereq feats for bard & rogue PrCs. Because they're agile and nimble i guess?
Bad prerequisites are an issue with a lot of early PrCs.

As for Sublime Chord you should take either one or two levels (for Song of Arcane Power) and then progress the casting with a different PrC.

Troacctid
2019-01-24, 12:13 PM
Optimization-wise, it's no worse than Stormsinger or Sentinel of Bharrai (for example). A lot of prestige classes have feat taxes.