PDA

View Full Version : Next Unearthed Arcana will be Artificer

Magic Myrmidon
2019-01-23, 01:31 PM
They just announced it on their Facebook page. I'm pretty excited for that, because Eberron is in my top 2 D&D settings.

jaappleton
2019-01-23, 01:44 PM
Been known for over a week now via Twitter.

Magic Myrmidon
2019-01-23, 01:54 PM
Oops. Sorry everyone! Now, to search for a way to lock or delete the thread...

JackPhoenix
2019-01-23, 01:57 PM
Well, then let's hope it'll actually be Eberron-related, unlike the last iteration.

Max_Killjoy
2019-01-23, 02:29 PM
Nothing wrong with creating a thread about it.

Some of us value our privacy and security enough that we don't use Facebook.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-23, 02:37 PM
Some of us value our privacy and security enough that we don't use Facebook.

Pff, weirdo.

Artificer: Round 3. Can't wait to see it.

For those who are unfamiliar, the Artificer has had two Unearthed Arcana already released for it:

The Wizard tradition (bad at adventuring, just sat around and added minor buffs to items)
The standalone class (Take the Arcane Trickster, make it oriented around control/AoE effects, and you're done)

KyleG
2019-01-23, 03:45 PM
I hope we see a more inventor/mechanical archetype. The alchemist is cool, the gunslinger i want to play, but the core of artificer is in invention and Id like to see an archetype that focusses on the mechanical invention they started as.

ImperiousLeader
2019-01-23, 09:38 PM
I'm hoping for a more caster-y Artificer, didn't like the previous iteration. I also didn't like getting magic items as part of character progression. Anyway, we'll see what we get.

jaappleton
2019-01-23, 10:05 PM
Sorry if I came off as an ass in my earlier comment. I’d like to say there was a reason for it, but... Nah, I was just an ass. Sorry about that, OP.

I’m really excited for the Artificer. Wondering what archetypes we might get. Is it a half Caster or a full Caster? Any archetypes get Extra Attack? Will the ‘pet’ get a focused Archetype for it? Will it cover ‘guns’ or a similar item? What’s the spell list? Ooooh, what if it’s short rest casting like Pact Magic?!

Rusvul
2019-01-23, 10:20 PM
I had an artificer (standalone class, not wizard tradition) in my game. Seemed pretty lackluster, hoping the next iteration will be better. I think a wand-focused archetype would be neat, since that was such a prominent theme in 3.5 (and in Eberron in general).

Zanthy1
2019-01-24, 09:21 AM
I hope the Artificer class actually goes away from a caster progression. Sure they can have magical effects for their inventions, and even some spell like abilities, but in my mind I see artificers as opposites of wizards. Like They both work and study to achieve a similar goal, but one uses arcane power to do it while the other creates machines to do it. Admittedly this falls back to my background as a Magic the Gathering player and lore enthusiast, but I like the idea of being able to make clockwork stuff, like automatons or even weapons/equipment. Boots with springs, go go gadget helicopter hat, tracking devices and electric lights

jaappleton
2019-01-24, 09:50 AM
I hope the Artificer class actually goes away from a caster progression. Sure they can have magical effects for their inventions, and even some spell like abilities, but in my mind I see artificers as opposites of wizards. Like They both work and study to achieve a similar goal, but one uses arcane power to do it while the other creates machines to do it. Admittedly this falls back to my background as a Magic the Gathering player and lore enthusiast, but I like the idea of being able to make clockwork stuff, like automatons or even weapons/equipment. Boots with springs, go go gadget helicopter hat, tracking devices and electric lights

I don’t see that happening, honestly. I like your idea, but I think that it’s be too much work for the team. Having spellcasting progression means that each new spell level, they’re done. Don’t need a feature, here’s some new spells.

I did really like the idea of the previous Artificer being able to imbue spells into items. That was pretty cool.

ImperiousLeader
2019-01-24, 12:31 PM
I did really like the idea of the previous Artificer being able to imbue spells into items. That was pretty cool.

That, to me, is a core feature of an Artificer, and one I want to see.

Wasp
2019-02-05, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know which day this month? I assume not already today?

n00b
2019-02-05, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know which day this month? I assume not already today?

Don't they normally come out on the 2nd Monday? Assuming they don't announce a delay?

Zanthy1
2019-02-05, 02:15 PM
Don't they normally come out on the 2nd Monday? Assuming they don't announce a delay?

Yes I believe it is typically the second monday, so it would be Feb 11

jaappleton
2019-02-05, 02:27 PM
Yes I believe it is typically the second monday, so it would be Feb 11

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1091056194423160833

Latter half of February. So.... To be brutally honest, I think that means the 25th.

Maybe the 18th with a miracle.

PastorofMuppets
2019-02-05, 08:21 PM
I’m wondering if it might be a buff support type class. To keeep with the general theme of DnD and fantasy as a whole not being industrial perhaps they need to maintain their creations like a necromancer maintains control of its minions.

Leveling up could give access to more craftable items types, offensive defensive or utility but instead of a spells per day limit they gain efficiency in how many devices can be maintained during rests. Maybe an artificer has a dozen gadgets but he can only keep 5 tuned/primed/gassed up at a time until he learns more, akin to (most) other casters knowing far more than they can cast each day. The real artificer benefit, being able to say, “ok the rocket boots are all ready, here you go” and give those powers out to the team.

Mercurias
2019-02-05, 08:55 PM
I liked a lot of the second version of the Artificer. There's a lot of appeal to playing an eccentric gnome riding a mechanical dinosaur while firing a hand cannon.

Max_Killjoy
2019-02-05, 09:06 PM
I liked a lot of the second version of the Artificer. There's a lot of appeal to playing an eccentric gnome riding a mechanical dinosaur while firing a hand cannon.

Which one is the "second"?

ImperiousLeader
2019-02-05, 09:19 PM
Which one is the "second"?

The one on DM's Guild, the first actual class. The first iteration of the Artificer was a Wizard Subclass. I didn't like that one.

Max_Killjoy
2019-02-05, 09:48 PM
The one on DM's Guild, the first actual class. The first iteration of the Artificer was a Wizard Subclass. I didn't like that one.

This one -- https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf -- or the one I saw with half a dozen subclasses, some of them really gonzo.

MeeposFire
2019-02-05, 10:54 PM

The funny thing is that the wizard one is actually pretty good but yeah I do not want that as my actual artificer class. Still like it as a a wizard option though. I took some of its features to further enhance the current version of teh artificer class (along with some other additions such as the common change of making it a 1/2 caster class).