PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Eldritch Knight: Str of Dex focused?

kenGarff
2019-01-23, 04:47 PM
So I am making an asian-influenced EK who looks like Genji from the overwatch (armor wise since he's a ninja but he "wears" heavy armor). Roleplaying wise, I already have how I want to play him. However, I am wondering which of the two is better for EK: Str-based or Dex-based. What are your thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Thank you all very much for the answers! I am not locked into heavy armor though.

sophontteks
2019-01-23, 04:50 PM
Spectre has a great guide that should help you.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479532-Bellator-Arcana-The-Eldritch-Knight-s-guide

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-23, 04:51 PM
So I am making an asian-influenced EK who looks like Genji from the overwatch (armor wise since he's a ninja but he "wears" heavy armor). Roleplaying wise, I already have how I want to play him. However, I am wondering which of the two is better for EK: Str-based or Dex-based. What are your thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Heavy Armor will make you a better tank, but using Dexterity means you can effectively use ranged weapons which saves you a cantrip or two.

Check with your team and determine which is more needed.

Strength: Strictly melee, higher AC, grappling/shoving.

Dexterity: Ranged attacks, more utility, more magic

Vogie
2019-01-23, 04:52 PM
If you're already locked into Heavy Armor, Just go Strength. You'll rock a longsword and use darts (finesse means they can use strength while still being ranged). You'll be able to rock the 1d10 damage of 2 handed longsword.

You can also use your weapon bond feature on a shield as well, allowing you to summon it as a bonus action, in case you get into trouble.

RogueJK
2019-01-23, 04:58 PM
If you're already locked into Heavy Armor, Just go Strength. You'll rock a longsword and use darts (finesse means they can use strength while still being ranged).

All Thrown weapons use Strength for their attack and damage rolls. Darts and Daggers are Finesse and Thrown, so they can use STR or DEX.

So a STR-based Fighter is much better off throwing something like Javelins, for greater range (30/120 vs 20/60) and damage (1d6 vs 1d4) than Darts, since he's going to be using STR either way.

You'll be able to rock the 1d10 damage of 2 handed longsword.

If you're going to use a two-handed weapon, you're better off going with a Greatsword for 2d6 than two-handing a Longsword for 1d10. Using a two-handed weapon still means you can have a hand free for casting, as needed.

Per the designers, taking a hand off a 2H weapon or putting it back on a 2H weapon is a non-action, and can be done freely, even during a reaction. https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/02/2-weapon-casting/

Thus your other hand is effectively free anytime you need it, other than when actually swinging the 2H weapon during the Attack action.

You can also use your weapon bond feature on a shield as well, allowing you to summon it as a bonus action, in case you get into trouble.

If you're going to use a one-handed weapon and a shield, you'll need the Warcaster feat. Otherwise you won't be able to cast most spells with a weapon/shield in each hand.

And as for Weapon Bonding with a Shield, that's going to be up to your DM if he wants to allow it. But RAW, you cannot, since it's not a weapon. A stance that's confirmed by the designers: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/16/can-an-eldritch-knight-bond-to-a-shield-or-a-quiver/