PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Build Help: Favored Soul/Moonspeaker

Thurbane
2019-01-23, 08:03 PM
So, just looking for advice on a theoretical build I might want to play some time on the future.

Favored Soul into Moonspeaker. These two classes are set: no substitutions please.

Now, I can do Favored Soul 8/Moonspeaker 12, using Knowledge Devotion or similar for reqs. Alternatively, FS 6/Ruathar 2/Moonspeaker 12. I'd like to PrC out of FS as early as possible, and not lose any caster levels.

Moonspeaker locks me into Shifter for race. Any ideas on the build: feats, PrCs etc?

Also, any idea how to get Summon Nature's Ally into my spells known? Maybe an Initiate feat if I chose the right god? Initiate of Nobanion gets SNA III.

Cheers - T

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Favored Soul 1
+0
+2
+2
+2
8*
Extend Spell
Spells

2nd
Favored Soul 2
+1
+3
+3
+3
-
-

3rd
Favored Soul 3
+2
+3
+3
+3
Knowledge Devotion (?)

Deity's weapon focus Deity's favor

4th
Favored Soul 4
+3
+4
+4
+4
-
-

5th
Favored Soul 5
+3
+4
+4
+4
-
Energy resistance (1st type)

6th
Favored Soul 6
+4
+5
+5
+5
Initiate of Nobanion
-

7th
Ruathar 1
+4
+5
+7
+7
-
Word of friendship, gift of the elves

8th
Ruathar 2
+5
+5
+8
+8
-
Low-light vision, elfwise

9th
Moonspeaker 1
+5
+7
+8
+x
Spontaneous Summoner, Augment SummoningB

Augment Summoning, moonspeaker shifting

10th
Moonspeaker 2
+6
+8
+9
+x
-
Energy resistance (first)

11th
Moonspeaker 3
+7
+8
+9
+x
-
Extended summoning

12th
Moonspeaker 4
+8
+9
+9
+x
Ashbound
Thelanis tie

13th
Moonspeaker 5
+8
+9
+10
+x
-
Wild shape

14th
Moonspeaker 6
+9
+10
+10
+x
-
Shifter integration (ability bonus)

15th
Moonspeaker 7
+10
+10
+10
+x
Dragon Wildshape (?)

Energy resistance (second), Improved Natural Attack

16th
Moonspeaker 8
+11
+11
+11
+x
-
Damage reduction

17th
Moonspeaker 9
+11
+11
+11
+x
-
Extra shifter trait

18th
Moonspeaker 10
+12
+12
+11
+x
Energy immunity

19th
Moonspeaker 11
+13
+12
+12
+x
-
Shifter integration (shifter trait)

20th
Moonspeaker 12
+14
+13
+12
+16
-
Lamannia calling

WhamBamSam
2019-01-23, 10:11 PM
Church Inquisitor or Divine Oracle would get you a domain, and you can cast Substitute Domain to turn it into one with SNA spells on it assuming you worship an appropriate deity.

Thurbane
2019-01-24, 04:29 PM
Church Inquisitor or Divine Oracle would get you a domain, and you can cast Substitute Domain to turn it into one with SNA spells on it assuming you worship an appropriate deity.

Good call! :smallsmile:

...any other thoughts or suggestions? What feats would be good in this build?

WhamBamSam
2019-01-24, 11:03 PM
Good call! :smallsmile:

...any other thoughts or suggestions? What feats would be good in this build?The only domain I can find with SNA spells is Animal, and it only lets you Summon Animals. I'd say that the added options from Thelanis Tie should get around that, but you might want to check with your DM.

Since you can't get Enhance Wild Shape without shenanigans, I'd take Dragon Wild Shape at level 15 when you qualify for it, so that Wild Shape can give you some abilities that are actually useful at the level you get it. Some summoning feats like Augment Summoning or Ashbound might not go amiss.

Stoic
2019-01-25, 01:36 AM
Also, any idea how to get Summon Nature's Ally into my spells known? Maybe an Initiate feat if I chose the right god? Initiate of Nobanion gets SNA III.

As WhamBamSam mentioned, the Animal Domain gets SNA IV & SNA VIII.
The Fey Domain gets SNA IX.

Nobanion has both the Animal & Fey Domains.

remetagross
2019-01-25, 08:46 AM
As for feats, you could nab eiter or both Extend Spell and Ashbound Summoning. That'd grant you long-enough during summons to serve as scouts or utility.

I'd also advise you to take the ACF Deity's Favor, from PHBII, if such a thing is possible to you, that swaps Weapon Focus for the ability to grant a number of temporary HPs equal to three times the level of the spell you just cast on any one target of a friendly spell you used.

PS: while looking for that ACF, I dug up a GiTP thread from 6years ago where you were rambling about how terrible the Favored Soul was :smalltongue: is that build an attempt to salvage the class for a reiteration of the game you were playing then?

Thurbane
2019-01-25, 05:36 PM
PS: while looking for that ACF, I dug up a GiTP thread from 6years ago where you were rambling about how terrible the Favored Soul was :smalltongue: is that build an attempt to salvage the class for a reiteration of the game you were playing then?

I have a lot of love for the Favored Soul in concept (divine Sorcerer: I much prefer playing spontaneous casters to prepared); I'm always looking for new builds to use FS as the casting chassis.