PDA

View Full Version : Should I multiclass my Cavalier

Vhagar
2019-01-23, 08:07 PM
Currently playing a campaign with 2 rogues, a factotum, Cleric, and a sorcerer. I joined the campaign after they started and chose cavalier because I though it would compliment the other classes in the game well.

Currently we are at lvl 4. I was considering multiclassing Cavalier/Paladin but I’m extremely indecisive and can’t decide. I thought maybe I could get some feedback on if this would be a smart move. I was thinking 5 cavalier 15 paladin.

Does cavalier multiclass well or should I just stick with it and not and any other ranks in another class?

I look forward to your suggestions.

Also my character has a Bahamut tattoo, which is pretty rad.

GlenSmash!
2019-01-23, 10:41 PM
Well do you want to be more fighter or Paladin? They both get great stuff at 6.

Also, whats a Factodum?

Rusvul
2019-01-23, 11:00 PM
Firstly: an excellent guide. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide)

Secondly: what are your ability scores? those limit your options as far as multiclassing goes.

Multiclassing 5/15 is rarely the way to go. High level class features are typically important, and putting yourself five levels behind your most poweful abilities is almost never worth it. You're far enough in that you probably want to be mostly a fighter. A few levels in Rogue makes you more mobile and damaging, a few levels in Barbarian makes you tougher, a few levels in Cleric gives you more utility.

I'd avoid Paladin: you have very little to gain from a small dip, There's a lot of redundant class features (extra attack, heavy armor & shield proficiency, fighting styles) and not a whole lot of unique benefit. Smites are the big draw for paladins... and you'd be five levels behind as far as spell slots go. (Paladin 2/Sorcerer x+ works because sorcerers have spell slots, so smite scales well. For you, not so.) On the other hand, Paladin 5+/Fighter 3 is a solid multiclass, but it comes online pretty late, so I'd probably recommend against it even if your DM lets you respec. If you want the flavor of "fighter, but with divine powers," I'd recommend Cleric. If it's the special mount you're after, Lore Bard 6 is arguably a better multiclass than Paladin 5, but neither is great.

No matter what you do, stick with Fighter till 5, and maybe 6. Extra Attack is huge, and ASIs can make a lot of difference too.

@GlenSmash: Factotum was a jack-of-all-trades class in 3.5. They got a little arcane magic, a little divine magic, a little combat expertise... and a lot of skills. Basically, it was the Rogue and/or the Bard but better and more fun to play. Technically power creep, I suppose, but it made a mechanically crippled archetype playable in a reasonably optimized game (bards and rogues were bad). OP, do you think you could link us to whatever Factotum homebrew your friend is using? I played a factotum in 3.5 and loved it, I'd be interested to see the class in 5e.

Malifice
2019-01-24, 12:56 AM
Factotum?

Youre in the wrong forum my friend.

Rukelnikov
2019-01-24, 01:12 AM
Factotum?

Youre in the wrong forum my friend.

This, are you looking for advice in a 3.x game or a 5e?

If you are looking for help in 5e and its a homebrew factotum (or just a bard calling himself that), then I would say:

5/15 is not a nice break at all, that 5th lvl in ftr gives you nothing and loses you the 16 lvl ASI, so 4/16 would be much better, howeverm you are already Ftr 4, and going full pally now would mean not having extra attack until level 9 which pretty much sucks.

Also IMO, planning for 20 when starting at low level, is rarely the best idea unless you have good reason to believe the game will get those levels, plan for 5-15 which is the meat of the game most of the time.

pdegan2814
2019-01-24, 01:14 AM
I'm currently playing a Level 6 Cavalier, and honestly I've got no desire to multiclass him. The Cavalier's higher-level abilities look REALLY cool, and I love that the Cavalier's abilities are all so distinct from each other, yet each one helps him in his role as a battlefield-controlling tank.

For your own character, ask yourself three things:

1) What do I want from the Paladin class?
2) Is it worth what I'd be giving up from the Fighter/Cavalier?
3) Does it fit with the character I'm trying to play(if that's important to you, everyone's ideal balance between mechanics and storytelling is different)

The Cavalier takes a little time for all of his awesomeness to really kick in, but I think it's one of the better Fighter subclasses they've created.

Max_Killjoy
2019-01-24, 01:18 AM
@GlenSmash: Factotum was a jack-of-all-trades class in 3.5. They got a little arcane magic, a little divine magic, a little combat expertise... and a lot of skills. Basically, it was the Rogue and/or the Bard but better and more fun to play. Technically power creep, I suppose, but it made a mechanically crippled archetype playable in a reasonably optimized game (bards and rogues were bad). OP, do you think you could link us to whatever Factotum homebrew your friend is using? I played a factotum in 3.5 and loved it, I'd be interested to see the class in 5e.

You mean a way to play a skill-heavy and versatile character that's not chained to being charming and inspiring, or a nimble sneak?

:smalltongue:

Vogie
2019-01-24, 10:20 AM
I'd need to see stats, but Cavalier is probably the straightforward of the subclasses for fighter for going up the tree. You want to dial up your Strength and Constitution as high as possible and go ham.

If you did want to branch out, I'd probably only go to ones that make you more reliable with the smallest of dips. For Example:

Barbarian 2 - You're not required to rage, but having it as an option is useful. The main things you're looking for are the 2nd level abilities, Danger sense and Reckless attack. That makes sure you're getting that Unwavering Mark on there as soon as possible, and avoid obstacles.
War Wizard 2 - +Int to initiative, and Arcane Deflection to give you the ability to supernaturally duck & dodge. On top of it, you can augment yourself with magic, never have to buy ranged weapons and have ritual access to utility spells
Cleric 1 - Tempest, Forge, Grave, Light, Arcane or Death would fit, depending on which things you want for your concept

Sigreid
2019-01-24, 11:01 AM
My regular advice is if you aren't sure you want to multi class, you shouldn't.

Petrocorus
2019-01-24, 12:38 PM
Currently we are at lvl 4. I was considering multiclassing Cavalier/Paladin but I’m extremely indecisive and can’t decide. I thought maybe I could get some feedback on if this would be a smart move. I was thinking 5 cavalier 15 paladin.

What are you expecting to get out of this multiclassing? We cannot really advise you if we don't know what you're looking for.

Are you trying to be more tanky, to boost your damages, to become more versatile?

And what are you ability scores?

Vhagar
2019-01-24, 09:28 PM
So we had our DND group meet last night and I have some updates for you all LOL.

Upon mentioning that I was interested in possibly multi classing to a paladin my dungeon master got really excited. Apparently she had been wanting to do a “forced paladin” Storyline for a while. So yeah whether I like it or not I am now also a paladin of bahamut. 0_o

I actually quite enjoy this little flavor that’s been added to the campaign. Part of my characters story is that he has internal struggles about how to be good and often makes the wrong naïve decisions by it being too trusting trying to save those who don’t want to be saved. Seeking divine guidance seems like it is right up the alley for this character.

So at this point the question is how can I make the best out of the situation. A lot of you I think said that multi classing at five was not a good idea. Perhaps later on I could inquire to my DM about re-rolling a couple levels so I don’t lock myself out of fifth level paladin spells? I really enjoy this campaign and want to make the best of it and have yes at this point now it’s how can I make the best out of the situation. A lot of you I think said that multi classing at five was not a good idea. Perhaps later on I could inquire to my DM about re-rolling a couple levels so I don’t lock myself out of fifth level paladin spells?

I also know that paladins can summon mounts so that seems to be helpful for a cavalier too. Also I should mention this is not an extremely combat heavy campaign as it is. At least not yet.

Edit: we are doing 5e and I don’t have a clear answer in regards to the factotum. Our dm May have made an exception and figured out a way to intifrate the class into the game by special request.

Vhagar
2019-01-24, 09:31 PM
I don’t have my character sheet atm but I believe my stats are
20 strength
13 dex
20 con
12 int
13 wis
16 cha

Vogie
2019-01-25, 08:30 AM
A lot of you I think said that multi classing at five was not a good idea. Perhaps later on I could inquire to my DM about re-rolling a couple levels so I don’t lock myself out of fifth level paladin spells? I really enjoy this campaign and want to make the best of it and have yes at this point now it’s how can I make the best out of the situation. A lot of you I think said that multi classing at five was not a good idea. Perhaps later on I could inquire to my DM about re-rolling a couple levels so I don’t lock myself out of fifth level paladin spells?

I also know that paladins can summon mounts so that seems to be helpful for a cavalier too. Also I should mention this is not an extremely combat heavy campaign as it is. At least not yet.

You want to get to level 5 in fighter before you do anything so you get the extra attack, which is a huge boon.

However, Find steed is a second level spell, which Paladins get at level 5. You're not going to get it anytime soon.

If the DM wants to let you transform your character at the next level up from a Cavalier Fighter 4 to a ____ Paladin 5, that's fine, but that's not usually how it works.

Petrocorus
2019-01-25, 09:22 AM
So we had our...... request.

I don’t have my character sheet atm but I believe my stats are
20 strength
13 dex
20 con
12 int
13 wis
16 cha

The thing is that multiclassing usually needs to be planned ahead of time. You're already engaged in the campaign and you're planning on multiclassing to a class that is quite close to your current class in terms of uses.

And you still haven't told us what you were looking for in this multiclassing beside more flavor.

Given your stats, if you hadn't had that talk with your DM, i would have advise you to take 2 to 4 levels in fiendlock for the THP, 2 Invocations and the Tome.

From an optimization point of view, it may be better IMHO to ask your DM to rebuild your character as a full Paladin right from level 1. It could be a direct Act of Bahamut and it could even be roleplayed.