PDA

View Full Version : A good aligned, Undead party

Tuesday
2019-01-24, 07:07 AM
I DM for my group and am starting a new campaign in a homebrew setting with the 3.5 books. We play pretty fast and loose with RAW and I generally allow most things within reason if the party is for it. It's a game, have fun.

This time though they want to play as a good aligned undead party. All the players are for it. I showed them the Necropolitan template and they all liked it.

The setting is fiercely against undead. We've never played with a black and white "Undead are pure evil" mentality. However in this setting they are viewed that way. I like the challenges this puts on the players and they are excited too.

However I'm having a hard time with any sort of starting point. I just can't think of a single hook to start any sort of adventure.

Curious if anyone else has been DM in a similar situation and can give any ideas out.

I've used this site extensively when looking for cool ideas, clearing up confusing rules and things like that. However I've never posted. So if I'm in the wrong section I apologize and will move to the right one.

DeTess
2019-01-24, 07:12 AM
Start with the players have been raised by a necromancer together with a whole bunch of other undead. The Necromancer is doing his usual monologue about how he'll use his new mindless minions to overrun the close-by border town of Nowheresville. Then one of the undead (could be a player if they catch on quickly enough) raises their hand and informs the necromancer they don't really feel like it. The necromancer messed up the spell, and all his undead are free-willed, and most of them are very much not-evil.

This leaves the PC's first as the front-line in dealing with the necromancer, and afterwards they could try to find a home for the surviving undead, or they could start chasing down the necromancer's superiors or anything else you lay down for them as a direct consequence of them killing the necromancer (maybe a local cleric that had been captured by the necromancer sees what happens and wants to help the PC's redeem themselves from their current state).

zlefin
2019-01-24, 08:23 AM
how feasible is it for the players to hide their identity as undead? doing so would ofc open up a lot of more normal avenues for early adventures. (as an example they could all be heavily covered up and say they have some sort of nonfatal disfiguring disease)

in general, their goal would be to help people and build up a positive reputation before being revealed. preferably one where they've actively saved people's lives. dealing with bandits is always an option; as it means they won't need to be around people too much (low risk of exposure) and can still do something quite helpful.

you might be able to use some pre-published modules for an adventure or two to have something to do until you get better ideas. e.g. you could use "a dark and stormy knight" module (a dungeon crawl) to give them a homebase to operate out of.

Tuesday
2019-01-24, 08:39 AM
With a simple disguise check it shouldn't be too difficult to hide the undead aspect. I know I want the campaign to move in a direction of slowly building up trust before revealing their identity.

I just have a hard time with a jumping off point. Whenever I've been DM in the past my campaigns started off of tomfoolery I made up on the spot as my group would be bored and decide to play. This is the first time I've sat down and thought up a full fleshed out setting to plop them into.

Then they proceeded to want to all be good aligned undead. I like the challenge of trying to DM for new parties. But this left me pretty lost on where to start.

I've also never used a pre made module before and don't know which ones are good and short.

Duke of Urrel
2019-01-24, 08:46 AM
Once your player-characters have established themselves, they might establish a pub (https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Biers)!

unseenmage
2019-01-24, 10:11 AM
Have you run a game for an entire party of immortal characters before?

I ask because the last time our group did exactly that we were in a sandbox style game and it became evident very quickly how difficult it can be to motivate a character who can just wait out nearly any given apocalypse.

Our GM wound up being much more proactive with adventure hooks than they usually like to be as a result.

Andezzar
2019-01-24, 10:49 AM
Start with the players have been raised by a necromancer together with a whole bunch of other undead. The Necromancer is doing his usual monologue about how he'll use his new mindless minions to overrun the close-by border town of Nowheresville. Then one of the undead (could be a player if they catch on quickly enough) raises their hand and informs the necromancer they don't really feel like it. The necromancer messed up the spell, and all his undead are free-willed, and most of them are very much not-evil.

This leaves the PC's first as the front-line in dealing with the necromancer, and afterwards they could try to find a home for the surviving undead, or they could start chasing down the necromancer's superiors or anything else you lay down for them as a direct consequence of them killing the necromancer (maybe a local cleric that had been captured by the necromancer sees what happens and wants to help the PC's redeem themselves from their current state).Interesting idea, however it does not mesh at all with the Necropolitan template, the means by which the players want their characters to become undead. Prospective necropolitans willingly forsake their life to become undead. There even is a whole society of them.

Disguising their undead nature is a difficult task. Detect Undead and Detect Evil are both 1st level spells. They will show up on both of them and if the society they are in is as opposed to undeath as the OP said, they better not give anyone reason to call a cleric.

denthor
2019-01-24, 11:14 AM
If you have time read the Web comic looking for group.

www.lfgcomics.com

Look at Richard and his town. He is mayor of a town on the coast you should visit sometime.

Particle_Man
2019-01-24, 03:52 PM
Maybe they are a group of teenagers with special powers that are sent out to protect a world that fears them. These Necropolitans are . . .

The N-Men! :smallbiggrin: