PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting Golems

Gerdra
2019-01-24, 01:50 PM
So I have a question from a player in our group that has started to learn how to construct golems. They have started with small clay golems that follow them around to help during combat, but they are now looking to craft a griffin-shaped golem. We have already gone over the time, energy, and resources necessary to craft it, but he wants it to fly so that he can ride it around and scout ahead for the group.

Basically he wants to use the wizard of the group to help him enchant the golem before it is done with construction (that way it does not have its magic immunity yet) and treat it with a permanent Overland Flight spell like he was crafting a magic carpet. My question is: If they do enchant to uncompleted golem, when he finally finishes it will the magic immunity negate the previous enchantment? Or would it not be negated since it was added before the ability activated?

flappeercraft
2019-01-24, 02:22 PM
So I have a question from a player in our group that has started to learn how to construct golems. They have started with small clay golems that follow them around to help during combat, but they are now looking to craft a griffin-shaped golem. We have already gone over the time, energy, and resources necessary to craft it, but he wants it to fly so that he can ride it around and scout ahead for the group.

Basically he wants to use the wizard of the group to help him enchant the golem before it is done with construction (that way it does not have its magic immunity yet) and treat it with a permanent Overland Flight spell like he was crafting a magic carpet. My question is: If they do enchant to uncompleted golem, when he finally finishes it will the magic immunity negate the previous enchantment? Or would it not be negated since it was added before the ability activated?

Assuming this is 3.5 and not PF since it is not mentioned.

Actually Overland Flight is a personal buff which makes it not subject to spell resistance, Magic immunity only negates spells that allow spell resistance, not everything. Since it is made into a magic item of Overland Flight it means that it will be under its effect with no issue as there will be no targetting issues and magic immunity could not interfere as its out of its scope.

Karl Aegis
2019-01-24, 02:26 PM
You can't control the shape of a golem. What you see is what you get. The monster you're looking for is the Effigy creature template made by the prestige class Effigy Master.

liquidformat
2019-01-24, 02:57 PM
You can't control the shape of a golem. What you see is what you get. The monster you're looking for is the Effigy creature template made by the prestige class Effigy Master.

Note that Effigy are not exclusive to Effigy Master they simply get a hd bonus to monster choices he can make along with a few other adjustments.

ShurikVch
2019-01-24, 03:23 PM
Elder Eidolon may work too, if you're know how to make it (and do something with it's Insanity Aura)

Torpin
2019-01-24, 08:12 PM

you as the DM have final say in all matters. whatever you want you can. in general i would treat it like magic items. so allowing 1 glove 1 vest, 1 cloak 2 rings... et cetra. then anything that doesnt take up one of the spell slots treat like an ioun stone and double the cost

unseenmage
2019-01-24, 08:32 PM
Constructs are magic items in games where the GM agrees that being made with an Item Creation Feat makes that so.

That said, just use the Combining Magic Items rules from Magic Item Compendium.

As to reshaping the golems, you've already allowed smaller golems, allowing creature shaped ones should be fine as long as you know what you're getting into.

It IS a house rule though.

As an aside, I highly recommend using Pathfinder's 'price by CR' guidelines for Construct pricing. Other wise the costs for them outstrip their utility far far too rapidly.
They can be found in the Building and Modifying Constructs section of the PRD.

Also feel free to mine my extended sig for Construct info.