PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Thoughts on incorporating 4th Editions "Skill Powers" into 5th Edition

Theodoxus
2019-01-24, 03:19 PM
Every time I've cracked open a 4th Edition book beyond the original 3 Core books, I've been surprised by a new thing. A few days ago, I was checking out the PHB 3 looking for feats, and came across the Skill Powers feat, so flipped back a few pages and lo and behold! An entire system for skill powers!

Now, I'm working on mashing the two editions together, so I'm already incorporating utility powers onto 5E classes, so adding the skill powers as is won't be difficult.

But, they're so interesting in general, I was curious if anyone else has thought of adding them to their games?

(I have a secondary interest in the question, as there wasn't an Animal Handling (outside of some uses of Nature), Investigation or Survival skills (though I'm pretty much changing Endurance into Survival, so there's less of an issue there)... but has anyone come up with skill powers for skills outside of 4th Eds list?)

Here are examples, for those unfamiliar (they're in 4E parlance, but it shouldn't be difficult to reimagine them for 5E)

Level 10

Reflexive Dodge - Acrobatics [Utility]
As the attack explodes toward you, your reflexes allow you to remain one step ahead of it.
Encounter (once per short rest)
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: An area or a close attack hits you
Effect: You make an Acrobatics check and reduce the damage you take from the triggering attack by half the check result. You then shift half your speed.

Level 10

Elemental Countermeasures - Arcana [Utility]
As magical energy streaks toward you, you use your knowledge of that magic to counter some of it.
Encounter (once per short rest)
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: You take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Effect: You make an Arcana check. The damage is reduced by the check result divided by 2.

Level 2

Perfect Balance - Acrobatics [Utility]
No matter how narrow the path, you have the balance and coordination needed to walk it.
At-Will
Move Action Personal
Effect: You move your (speed -10 feet). During this movement, you ignore difficult terrain, and you can move across any horizontal surface that is at least 3 inches wide without making an Acrobatics check.

Vogie
2019-01-25, 10:34 AM
You may be interested in the Talent Tree feat variant (https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/a0ts3y/introducing_talent_trees_over_100_feats_worth_of/)I saw on Reddit, which is very similar to what you're doing here.

Kane0
2019-01-25, 04:31 PM
The question i have is will these replace other feats and abilities you would otherwise be able to get or be in addition to them?

E’Tallitnics
2019-01-25, 06:23 PM
Unearthed Arcane released Skill Feats: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf

Let that guide you in your conversion.