PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item for Eldritch Knight

TerakasTaranath
2019-01-24, 03:29 PM
I'm currently running Curse of Strahd and I have an eldritch knight in my campaign. I recently have been rewarding other players and this player feels a little cheated. Granted, he has (at lvl 6) a ring of mind shielding, a helm of telepathy and a throwing axe that returns to you after being thrown(it was a homebrew item that was cursed but the curse was removed.)

Anyhow, he still feels like the barbarian with the belt of frost giant strength and now the Sunsword is really out shining him, and I wanna give him something fitting for his character. I'm considering a battleaxe that also acts as a headband of intellect or something like that.

I would love to see what you all come up with and help me deal with my friend :p

PS: he's probably just kidding, but still it keeps going on and he's been a pretty good DM to us so, I'm not trying to completely **** on him (yet.) So I still wanna be good to him, we're still buddies :p

Crgaston
2019-01-24, 04:59 PM
Is he Str or Dex based? The returning axe and the Sunblade should probably have been swapped as it would give the Barb a dope ranged attack and the Sunblade is powerful all by itself in CoS.

Wand of Fireball or Lightning Bolt might do it otherwise.

TerakasTaranath
2019-01-24, 06:43 PM
Is he Str or Dex based? The returning axe and the Sunblade should probably have been swapped as it would give the Barb a dope ranged attack and the Sunblade is powerful all by itself in CoS.

Wand of Fireball or Lightning Bolt might do it otherwise.

He’s strength based. I suggested they switch and he loves the axe to much, he’s honestly ok with the sunsword being with the barb he just says I gave the belt away to soon. And he’s not wrong, I did. I miss read the rarity but oh well I won’t snatch it from the barb now.

I do like the idea of the wand tho.

BigPixie
2019-01-24, 07:06 PM
You could give him an Animated Shield so then he can do Somatics while armed.

nickl_2000
2019-01-24, 07:20 PM
Cloak of displacement? That would also be super overpowered at this level :)

Flat out damage, maybe a frostbrand or flametounge, or a scimitar of speed.

Or custom write something. Giving him haste once per day as a bonus action on a +1 would be killer for an EK.

Foxhound438
2019-01-24, 08:09 PM
Granted, he has (at lvl 6) a ring of mind shielding, a helm of telepathy and a throwing axe that returns to you after being thrown(it was a homebrew item that was cursed but the curse was removed.)

Anyhow, he still feels like the barbarian with the belt of frost giant strength and now the Sunsword is really out shining him, and I wanna give him something fitting for his character. I'm considering a battleaxe that also acts as a headband of intellect or something like that.

you've effectively given the barbarian at least +4 in his combat stats between the two items and have given the fighter a bunch of flavor ribbons, one of which being a ribbon that he already has from his class features. Try maybe giving him a weapon with a relevant amount of bonuses, or an Ioun stone of strength so he can get over +5 in his attack stat as well.

Sigreid
2019-01-24, 11:29 PM
My mind keeps going to a rod of loudly might.

Anublet90
2019-01-25, 01:35 AM
Personally, I'm a huge fan of War Magic so my first thought is to give something that lets him cast a non-Wizard cantrip. Skimming through the PHB a bit, Thorn Whip stands out quite a bit. Cast the spell, and if it hits then you get to pull the Large-or-smaller enemy into melee range, and since it's a cantrip you'd get to attack right away for free. Sounds like a really satisfying combo, really.

EDIT Mind you, if you custom-tailor something like this then it might be a good idea to do it for everyone, like finding a treasure vault at the end of a mausoleum, or something.

Vogie
2019-01-25, 08:56 AM
How about a Sword (or other weapon) that generates a second weapon that copies the attacks the original target. It'll act as a force damage Sun Blade, but also give the option to direct the second weapon a la Spiritual Weapon, so they can attack multiple targets simultaneously.

solidork
2019-01-25, 09:03 AM
I would pick an item that makes the character more effective on an axis other than "Deal a lot of damage" because there is basically no way to catch up with the Barbarian at this point. Pick something that grants a whole new ability, emphasizes the spell casting capabilities of the character or makes them particularly difficult to kill.

I would personally go with a Ring of Spell Storing. It will seriously help stretch his limited magical abilities and potentially even let him borrow capabilities from other casters in the party.

nickl_2000
2019-01-25, 09:04 AM
I would pick an item that makes the character more effective on an axis other than "Deal a lot of damage" because there is basically no way to catch up with the Barbarian at this point. Pick something that grants a whole new ability, emphasizes the spell casting capabilities of the character or makes them particularly difficult to kill.

I would personally go with a Ring of Spell Storing. It will seriously help stretch his limited magical abilities and potentially even let him borrow capabilities from other casters in the party.

We have an EK at our table who gets Hunter's Mark from my Moon Druid/Ranger in his Ring of Spell Storing. That extra 1d6 damage each hit for a character who get multiple attacks really does add up.

TerakasTaranath
2019-01-25, 06:36 PM

I wanted to give him a battle axe of spell storing but I did this last time I DM'd for my friend lol. Maybe just a ring of spell storing would be fine. He never uses his spells honestly but maybe this could help him use them more rather than always holding on to them and never using them.

Sigreid
2019-01-25, 07:36 PM
I wanted to give him a battle axe of spell storing but I did this last time I DM'd for my friend lol. Maybe just a ring of spell storing would be fine. He never uses his spells honestly but maybe this could help him use them more rather than always holding on to them and never using them.

Ax of spell stealing? When he delivers the death blow to a caster he gets their highest level unspent spell slot to use.