PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Elf Favored Soul OR Spirit Shaman OR something

Chester
2019-01-24, 04:50 PM
Hello! This pertains to 3.5

Options for an Elf Favored Soul (Ehlonna)? I know, it's not optimized, just looking at possibilities.

Seeker of the Misty Isle needs skills I don't get with FS, but I like it.

Books allowed:
Core
PH2
Complete X (not Psionics)

What are the options?

EDIT: I'm looking into some other things, potentially for entrance into Seeker of the Misty Isle.

I'm thinking about:

Ranger 1 / Favored Soul 4 / Seeker

Spirit Shaman X / Seeker (or even Ranger 1 for skills)

Knowledge Devotion level 1 feat.

Something else involving Divine Oracle?

The concept: The character has dreams he thinks are premonitions sent by Elhonna. Favored Soul and Spirit Shaman fit the flavor.

Full disclosure: I'd be co-dming with one of the other players, basically taking turns when I tire of it. I want the character to be a support role, easy to use, and definitely not stealing the spotlight. Seeker seems like a neat class without being broken.

I don't want Cleric.

Maat Mons
2019-01-24, 05:26 PM
I'd lean toward Wild Elf (Monster Manual, p104), since it doesn't penalize constitution.

If the game allows Player's Hanbook II, you should ask if Dungeon Master's Guide II is allowed as well. Then you could take the Apprentice feat (Dungeon Master's Guide II, p176). If you select Woodsman, you get Survival as a class skill. That would let you qualify for Seeker of the Misty Isle with Favored Soul 5. (You don't need Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill, since it won't affect the level at which you can get in.)

Anthrowhale
2019-01-24, 07:53 PM
You might ask your DM if he really wants to go with Knowledge(Arcana) as the class skill for FS. It makes little sense w.r.t. fluff, as it should be Knowledge(Religion). If that doesn't change, you can still pick up Knowledge(Religion) by picking up Knowledge Devotion which is a pretty good feat anyways.

With Knowledge(Religion), you can qualify for Divine Oracle easily. If possible, use the Frog God's Fane (Complete Scoundrel) to pick up Skill Focus[Knowledge(Religion)]. This also sets you up to take Loremaster later.

If the elf is LG, you might consider Church Inquisitor.

Paragnostic Apostle is also relatively easy to qualify for and gives decent benefits.

edit; also, Sacred Exorcist can give you Turn Undead to fuel Divine Metamagic.

Chester
2019-01-26, 06:58 AM
Based on the above comments, I changed the concept a bit (thanks for the feedback). Looking into other options too. Thoughts?

Anthrowhale
2019-01-26, 09:45 AM
Spirit Shaman is certainly an easier entry although it lacks knowledge(religion) which you could just buy cross-class or with knowledge devotion.

One thought: you might consider Archivist. The 'dark knowledge' class feature is decent for a support character. For entry into Seeker of the Misty Isle, you could dip into Ruathar for in-class access to Survival.

Chester
2019-01-26, 09:58 AM
Spirit Shaman is certainly an easier entry although it lacks knowledge(religion) which you could just buy cross-class or with knowledge devotion.

One thought: you might consider Archivist. The 'dark knowledge' class feature is decent for a support character. For entry into Seeker of the Misty Isle, you could dip into Ruathar for in-class access to Survival.

Unfortunately those both come from books that aren't on the table.

Anthrowhale
2019-01-26, 12:05 PM
Unfortunately those both come from books that aren't on the table.

I think you need to go with Spirit Shaman or a dip in another class for access to Survival.