PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there something which specializes in receiving buffs?

zlefin
2019-01-24, 09:01 PM
for 3.P
(inspired by one of those long debate threads)

is there a class/archetype/feats/anything that specializes in receiving buff spells, even if it has no means of giving them out itself?

something that would let a fighter/fighting type benefit from an ally's buff spells more than usual, or perhaps even refund the spell slot? (likely with per day limits ofc)

it shouldn't get any benefit from spells it casts on itself (which thus excludes abjurant champion), ONLY for spells cast on it by others.

Anthrowhale
2019-01-24, 09:20 PM
A fighter with a few pearls of power that it lends out daily?

Zaq
2019-01-24, 09:43 PM
The warforged PrC in Races of Eberron that focuses on turning you into a “real boy” increases morale bonuses given to you by +1. I think it’s called “Reforged”?

But it’s a garbage PrC that costs 3 levels for that +1 bonus, so don’t do that.

Falontani
2019-01-24, 09:54 PM
From the same book that gave us the Reforged (that Zaq was talking about) we have the Spellcarved Warrior who gains the ability to have any single spell or infusion cast upon him be extended. A psiforged may store and grant power points as a cogniziance Crystal, storing more as he levels. With psionic transparency you could extend a single power manifested upon yourself, and grant the power points to manifest powers by storing points into yourself.

Zaq
2019-01-25, 01:04 AM
Even more from Races of Eberron: the feat Mutable Body (requires the shapechanger subtype, most easily acquired by being a changeling) lets you choose to have transmutation spells that are cast on you be cast at +1 CL.

Pretty sure there’s another Eberron thing that improves buffs you receive. My sources say that Battlebred in Player’s Guide to Eberron does such a thing, but I don’t have that book open and I’m currently feeling too lazy to hunt that one down for the details. Least I’m honest.

It’s a heal and not a buff, but the Therapeutic Mantle soulmeld makes you easier to heal.

Particle_Man
2019-01-25, 01:10 AM
The Leadership feat? :smallbiggrin:

Florian
2019-01-25, 01:31 AM
PF has some minor stuff. Fey Foundling will enhance any healing a character will receive, some traits will either enhance a bonus you receive or prolong the duration of an effect. Some equipment/enhancements will straight out either double some bonus you receive or let you store some class feature uses for later use.

Axel_Neco
2019-01-25, 03:31 AM
Building off of PF material, if 3rd party is ok, take a look into Paths of War. In particular, the discipline Shattered Mirror. One of its focuses: buffs/debuffs that come from another source entirely. You can copy a buff an enemy or ally has and spread it around. You can steal a buff instead, choosing not to share. Buffs last longer. Conversely, spread the debuffs! Steal a debuff from an ally and share with all your enemies, make them last longer on foes or shorter on yourself.

Overall, it's an interesting school that fits part of what you're looking for. The big drawback: you need to know what effects are going on, otherwise you don't select the buff/debuff you copy, it's random. So getting arcane sight or something similar at all times is not a terrible idea. As far as I know, Tome of Battle does not have a version of this. :smallfrown:

On the other side, if you want to be the buff giver, try Tactician from Psionics. Their whole gimmick is spread around buffs, especially a lot of the self only buffs that psionics has. On top of that, they spread around all buffs, not just psionics. So copy paste the CoDZilla buffs! Potential for a combo here. Need to use this for a villain team at some point.

Fizban
2019-01-25, 04:12 AM
Oriental Adventures has the Mirumoto Niten Master (in the later part of the book with clan specific stuff, not the main PrC section). It has the ability Aid Shugenja, which allows it to empower or later maximize a spell cast upon it by a Shugenja. That's just about all it gets though, 'cause the main signature ability is using your wakizashi as a shield, which is beaten by using a shield.

But a few pages later there's the Shiba Protector, which is veeeery interesting. Getting wis to all attack and damage rolls at the cost of a single level, you'd think it would come up for monk or fighty clerics/etc more often (well maybe it does, I stopped reading handbooks). It then gets the same Aid Shugenja progression, as well as big bonuses on saves vs spells/SLAs, a few rounds of haste per day, and the ability to just use their highest ability modifier for a roll a number of times per day.

Note also that this was 3.0 material, which means at the time the stat boost spells were randomized. So it had more interesting things to boost than just heals.

noce
2019-01-25, 06:06 AM
Paragnostic initiate from complete champion comes to mind.
Three levels PRC, good chassis, improves spells cast on you by allies.

2019-01-25, 06:28 AM
I dunno if you count "healing" as a buff, but if Pathfinder is on the table and you can pick up Endurance and Diehard without hating yourself, Fast Healer increases any resting/magical healing you gain by half your Con mod. This usually gets abused by pairing it with Boots Of The Earth which give you a slightly situational, definitely magical Fast Healing 1, but the feat can also be used for making your healbot cleric feel less bad about healing you now instead of buffing you before.

Wait...I think that actually conflicts with the premise. Apologies. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Incantatrix has Cooperative Metamagic; your ally casts a spell (such as a buff on you, or the group), and you can throw your own metamagic onto it.

zlefin
2019-01-25, 08:42 AM
ah, thanks, sounds like there's a decent smattering of options around for it.
if there weren't I was gonna homebrew up some.

Elkad
2019-01-25, 09:48 AM
Therapeutic mantle soulmeld buffs heals you receive as well. (by 2pts per essentia).

I had fun with a self-healing crusader build using that. "Spells or Effects" was ruled (correctly IMO) to apply to basically everything except Fast Healing. So between Martial Spirit, Weapon Crystals, and healing maneuvers, all augmented by mantle, I did pretty well.

ericgrau
2019-01-25, 10:00 AM
The monk is targettable by more buffs than any other PHB class, and I think this is intended. I've seen 2-3 confused threads where someone said "We buff the snot out of our party monk and he's amazing, what is everyone talking about?" And they snidely say "Well you had to buff him." Etc. But he does it better than some others might and it's nice teamwork strats.

On top of all the standard warrior buffs, look at [greater] mage armor, greater magic fang and enlarge effects for all his special attacks. Anything else that boosts natural attacks, assuming it also works with unarmed strikes. Chill touch is a great gish spell or ring of spell storing shared spell. But don't forget to also buff his weapon. Shillelagh works great at low levels too, and is also good in oil form in case the druid doesn't have time or isn't in the party.

A fighter with a few pearls of power that it lends out daily?

This is a great idea with level 1 pearls of power and lesser rods of extend spell. Fix it scrolls of things like remove X for the cleric too, especially level 1-2 scrolls that he wouldn't normally prepare (or maybe only sometimes prepares). Cheap stuff like that. When I see it suggested with higher level pearls and other expensive items that aren't a great deal it seems a bit snooty of the mage though. Reminds me of the joke concept of a cleric who charges the party for healing.

All of this might be combine-able with prestige classes.

Telonius
2019-01-25, 12:36 PM
There are a few Cleric spells (Recitation probably the most prominent) that give greater bonuses to characters that share a deity with the Cleric.