PDA

View Full Version : Finger of Death - Zombie Army Maker?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-01-25, 12:10 AM
This one seems pretty creepy and powerful. In a campaign I run the party chose not to follow an NPC task giver on a "free the slaves" type military mission. Not sure I blame them to be honest but she's been out there doing this with one former party member and another NPC.

This NPC also has this spell and it seems to bring up a few possibilities that she has many undead minions at her disposal now. While this is helping her win it probably would not make friends wiht everyone, like the Zombie's former families!

So what limits are there to a created Zombie?

If someone IS turned into a Zombie and then killed and resurrected are they alive again and are they still under your control?

What ways are there to reverse Zombiefication?

If the caster of Finger of Death is killed what happens to the Zombies? The try following the last of their commands?

You send negative energy coursing through a creature that you can see within range, causing it searing pain. The target must make a Constitution saving throw. It takes 7d8+30 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

A humanoid killed by this spell rises at the start of your next turn as a Zombie that is permanently under your Command, following your verbal orders to the best of its ability.

JackPhoenix
2019-01-25, 12:56 AM
Limits? Zombies can only be made from humanoids
Reversing zombification? True Resurrection or Wish. No lesser spell works. And once it's not a zombie, it's not under the caster's control anymore.
Uncontrolled zombies act as per their MM entry: it stands in place and tries to kill any living thing it senses.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-01-25, 10:02 AM
Limits? Zombies can only be made from humanoids
Reversing zombification? True Resurrection or Wish. No lesser spell works. And once it's not a zombie, it's not under the caster's control anymore.
Uncontrolled zombies act as per their MM entry: it stands in place and tries to kill any living thing it senses.

Cool. I'm away from my books at the moment and should be working. What all counts as a humanoid? Is there a tree of sorts in the back of my DMG or Handbook which lists this? I remember going toba 3rd party site to look up "beasts" for Polymorph.

Helldin87
2019-01-25, 01:31 PM
pretty sure anything with 2 arms and legs is a humanoid? Is there an actual rule defining this? For sure all the PC-capable races are (although this raises a question regarding centaurs...)

JackPhoenix
2019-01-25, 03:11 PM
Cool. I'm away from my books at the moment and should be working. What all counts as a humanoid? Is there a tree of sorts in the back of my DMG or Handbook which lists this? I remember going toba 3rd party site to look up "beasts" for Polymorph.

pretty sure anything with 2 arms and legs is a humanoid? Is there an actual rule defining this? For sure all the PC-capable races are (although this raises a question regarding centaurs...)

Yes. Actual rule is anything that has a humanoid creature type is humanoid. While many more creatures have the basic humanoid form (giants, many fiends, fey), they do not have the humanoid type.

And centaur is fey, for some weird reason. Despite being monstrosity in MM. That race is so bad it could've been in Volo's.