PDA

View Full Version : 5e dual-class semi-legal random character generator

Wystrell
2019-01-25, 01:38 AM
I present to you... something slightly ridiculous!

dualclass is a 5e, entirely-random, dual-class character generator (https://thely.github.io/dualclass/). It's based on a series of conversations with my boyfriend, which led him to a campaign idea, which led me to help foster said campaign's existence via the magic of javascript. Your classes are random. Your stats are random. Your subclasses are random. Your spells? Random. Expertise? Also random. Your name? Not random yet, but eventually.

Here are some specifics about where we break the multiclassing rules and why!

Stats are done as 5d6, take highest three. No effort is made to prioritize stats to classes (see: randomness).
No prerequisites are required for the second class. It's not like you have prerequisites to take the first class.
Everything you learn at base level of your first class, you learn at base level of your second class; you get all skills, proficiencies, and saves from both.
Both classes start at level 1, and level simultaneously. So you're a 3/3 or a 15/15, but never a 7/3.
Proficiency bonus is based on the individual level, not the combined level. So your proficiency bonus increases to +3 at 5/5, not 3/3.
ASIs work the same way, except you gain it twice (once for each class). So at 4/4, you have two ASIs to work with. (This bit isn't implemented yet.)

The idea is that randomness can be punishing, especially when it comes to stat rolls or class choices, but the bonus saves/skills/ASIs/etc hopefully make up for it. And the fact that you have an entire second class is also an attempt to shore up the potential weaknesses of the first class, or at least give you another set of tools to work with.

I'm deffo never going to do any stat prioritization with this, since it ruins the magic. And speaking of magic, here are some of my favorite pulls:

outlander-guide bard/rogue who can play four instruments but has CHA 10 and no perform skill. Great player with crippling stage fright.
the former-hitman cleric. It's not like you're expected to unlearn Deception when you take up the robes...
the firbolg ranger with a fey favored enemy (yikes)
the minotaur noble rogue-swashbuckler/Moon-druid. Huge guy that enjoys a sporting duel between chums, but should things turn sour, he turns into... a rhino???
urchin simic hybrid. They took him off the streets and turned him into a crab monster. :(
rogue who got Animal Handling from folk hero background, but then made Animal Handling his first expertise. He don't like the people, not one bit, but he does love his horse.

Let me know what you think! I've had people ask if I can do tristalt also, or have a "follow the normal multiclass rules" button. I have some tentative plans to randomize your gear as well, but that's a little more involved.

Imbalance
2019-01-25, 07:35 AM
Java magic IS magic.

I'll have to dig into it later, but just from what you've described i can see there being potential for this. Maybe only limited potential for total noobs or chaotic lazy types (appealing in concept especially for folks who are both, like me), but even just to have it spit something out and then tweak the result to taste could be useful.

Wystrell
2019-01-25, 02:09 PM
Indeed! The idea of this is kind of a shift in how you think about playing D&D - rather than "build the craziest guy you can," it's "make something interesting out of these weird, random raw materials." The storytelling is often easier to come by, because trying to make sense of the random race + background + class often makes a personality on its own.

Someone on reddit also mentioned using this for tristalts, or x-stalts, or generating BBEGs.