PDA

View Full Version : Blistering spell feat on Flame Arrow

bot
2019-01-25, 01:59 AM
Hi guys, I'd like if you can weigh in on a combo I'm a bit unsure how to rule in my game for one of my players.

The blistering metamagic feat gives +2 damage pr spell level (only on spells with fire discriptor), so 3rd lvl flame arrow would mean the 50 arrows do additional +6 damage each?

Furthermore the feat has an effect "if the target fails his saving throw", which inflicts -2 penalty on attack until next round. But since flame arrow doesn't allow saving throw, I'm unsure if I should inforce a saving throw for the effect or to let it follow the spell (auto effect without saving throw).
The wording in the feat dearly indicate the author assumed fire descriptor have saving throws.

Bonus info, we play E6 so the characters will always max be 6th lvl. I guess he plans to use easy metamagic on the feat to reduce the level adjustment or something. We didn't touch on that, i forgot to ask - it's still only something the player is considering

noob
2019-01-25, 03:11 AM
Hi guys, I'd like if you can weigh in on a combo I'm a bit unsure how to rule in my game for one of my players.

The blistering metamagic feat gives +2 damage pr spell level (only on spells with fire discriptor), so 3rd lvl flame arrow would mean the 50 arrows do additional +6 damage each?

Furthermore the feat has an effect "if the target fails his saving throw", which inflicts -2 penalty on attack until next round. But since flame arrow doesn't allow saving throw, I'm unsure if I should inforce a saving throw for the effect or to let it follow the spell (auto effect without saving throw).
The wording in the feat dearly indicate the author assumed fire descriptor have saving throws.

Bonus info, we play E6 so the characters will always max be 6th lvl. I guess he plans to use easy metamagic on the feat to reduce the level adjustment or something. We didn't touch on that, i forgot to ask - it's still only something the player is considering
since there is no saving throw the opponent can not fail it.
but I believe there is metamagics that can add a saving throw to a spell.

bot
2019-01-25, 05:35 AM
since there is no saving throw the opponent can not fail it.
but I believe there is metamagics that can add a saving throw to a spell.

Meaning, that you'd suggest that since there's no saving throw to fail, the -2 penalty can never occur? Yes ok, I can see that point. The player asked expecting the opposite to always be true, meaning the target isn't allowed a saving throw so they'd "automatically fail"

Maybe i could be inclined to go with your way of seeing it.

SangoProduction
2019-01-25, 06:17 AM
Unfortunately, it's been FAQ'd that damage bonuses only apply once per spell...with exception to AoE.
But yes. You can't fail a saving throw if you have no saving throw to fail.

bot
2019-01-25, 06:33 AM
Unfortunately, it's been FAQ'd that damage bonuses only apply once per spell...with exception to AoE.

Interesting!

Is this that I can find somewhere? Google didn't uncover anything for me right now

SangoProduction
2019-01-25, 06:41 AM
I've asked a couple years ago for my force missile mage...after I had already played it, and subsequently gotten metamagics permanently banned from the table lol.
You could probably look for "Blistering Spell magic missile" or "bonus damage on magic missile"...or even search through my posting history. Though it would be from a long time ago, and I don't know how far back the archive on this site goes. But someone showed me the FAQ.

noob
2019-01-25, 10:06 AM
If you can get cross class spell access in E6 you might get Fire Shuriken which allows to make instantaneous shurikens that will deal extra fire damage for the first of each set thanks to your feat.

Bronk
2019-01-27, 03:19 PM

Yes, that's how it would work. This isn't adding precision damage, and it's not a weaponlike spell - those are spells that you cast and target with an attack roll. This is just a single spell that affects objects.

I found the old post Sangoproduction was talking about, and the situation from that thread isn't the same as yours. I'm also not finding anything relevant in the FAQ, although even there was something in there you'd still want to check the rules out for yourself. The FAQ has been known to be wrong before.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?392249-Spells-with-multiple-hits-and-flat-added-damage

The target is the group of projectiles you cast the spell on, not a creature, so this would never come up.

denthor
2019-01-27, 04:58 PM
Remember what the player does to you you get to do to the players.

I suggest you roll out two or three battle encounters with the player to see if he likes it. They do not count for anything just testing.