PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Monkey Grip instead of Strongarm Bracers

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-01-25, 03:37 AM
Is it viable to say that Monkey Grip should allow the use of a large weapon in your off-hand when two weapon fighting? I can't see it being game breaking at all, due to the fact that Strongarm Bracers are a measly 6000gp and allow you to do EXACTLY that but with no restrictions.

I hate not obeying RAW, but I can't actually find a reason to not hate the way this feat works.

It makes sense to me, seeing as how a feat is worth waaaaay more than a measly 6000gp.

Can anyone else give any thoughts/heedings as to why this would be a bad idea??

Kelb_Panthera
2019-01-25, 04:04 AM
That's exactly what the feat says it does. I'm not really sure why you thought you couldn't. Are you maybe looking at the old Sword and Fist version?

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-01-25, 05:00 AM
The excerpt from Complete Warrior reads as:

"You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change. For instance, a Large longsword (a one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon."

I've never encountered a group that has allowed it to be done otherwise.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-01-25, 05:31 AM
That's what I get for posting hastily at 3AM. Only skimmed the feat text. :smallredface:

Seems like a waste of a feat on a two-weapon fighter but I don't see how it could cause any problem if you dropped that last sentence altogether. Even stacking monkey grip with the strong-arm bracers (which is oft argued to not work) wouldn't cause any problems without that line.

Chalk it up to the designers being over-cautious in early 3.5.

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-01-25, 05:35 AM
I also see alot of people in every other forum/website saying that Monkey Grip paired with Oversized Two Weapon Fighting allows for a RAW version of this. I'm not sure if I'm just not understanding the wording correctly, or if everyone is off their rocker though.

Either way, I'm sure that this shouldn't break the game --
Fighters need all the help they can get anyhow.