PDA

View Full Version : SCP style campaign - fun idea development

Bannan_mantis
2019-01-25, 09:30 AM
I was considering about how you might make a SCP themed campaign, maybe one where the PCs are strike forces attempting to capture SCPs and maybe they're even made up of humanoid SCPs themselves. Me and a lot of friends are fans of DnD and SCP so it could be pretty fun for our group so we might make some one-shot or campaigns around it. I had one main thing come up which had me thinking on it for a while so I wouldn't mind getting people's opinions on it and that is mainly about how PCs would be made.

Obviously your typical DnD campaign party wouldn't work here and a lot of PCs abilities would have to be reskinned and maybe some homebrew classes and subclasses being added to fit this more. The same goes for race choices. One thing that also might bring some problems up is that some features don't really fit that well, clerics and paladins are a good example since they would feel out of place since divine deities aren't really fitting for SCP style stories (even though yes there are god like SCPs I am talking more about the ones which if you worship would give you special abilities.) Maybe other classes also fit this description as well, some of the magic heavily classes would feel a little weird in a few ways so some work would probably be done to change how some of the spells work.

This is some random speculation and I wouldn't mind seeing some other people's opinions on this and maybe what they have done.

solidork
2019-01-25, 09:57 AM
I mean, you could port the SCP concept to a typic D&D fantasy world if you wanted to. If you're interested in doing a modern setting then D&D 5e is one of the last systems I would choose to use. Look up Delta Green and play that instead.

Vogie
2019-01-25, 10:21 AM
I like it.

If you want an epic timeline, you could base it off the Warehouse 13 series - players are the agents of the warehouse, keeping the SCP artifacts safe, and collecting more. In that series, the concept is old hat (Warehouse 1 was created in 300 BC by Alexander the Great), but you'd create a group of individuals that hunt these things down.

If you were setting it in Forgotten Realms, You could tie the players into a faction of Force Grey in Waterdeep.

VonKaiserstein
2019-01-25, 10:45 AM
LoL, sounds like the best kind of plot railroading! So they work for a wizard, or wizard council, and are sent to contain artifacts, individuals, or locations, often without any clear idea of what they're seeking. All, of course, while keeping their cover and a low profile. After securing the SCP, they then must safe the area, by mind wiping or killing any local bystanders.

Failure , or success, could have utterly disastrous consequences.

solidork
2019-01-25, 10:53 AM
I like it.

If you want an epic timeline, you could base it off the Warehouse 13 series - players are the agents of the warehouse, keeping the SCP artifacts safe, and collecting more. In that series, the concept is old hat (Warehouse 1 was created in 300 BC by Alexander the Great), but you'd create a group of individuals that hunt these things down.

If you were setting it in Forgotten Realms, You could tie the players into a faction of Force Grey in Waterdeep.

This is actually the backstory for my current character. His Warlock patron is a Couatl created by Deneir/Azuth/Mystra for the purpose of finding and sequestering dangerous magical items. He was initially working for the Watchful Order and doing stuff for his patron on the side, but just recently got the mandate from Laeral Silverhand to operate in that capacity for the city itself.

iTreeby
2019-01-25, 11:00 AM
I'd use a different system for this. Blades in the Dark, would be my starting point as the system lends itself to horror. It would take very little tweeking to get it working for an SCP game.

Millstone85
2019-01-25, 11:22 AM
I mean, you could port the SCP concept to a typic D&D fantasy world if you wanted to.There is an SCP entry based on the idea that the Greek pantheon was the original Foundation.

It is also a "format screw" entry, with this one's gimmick being that everything must be presented as a series of pseudo-philosophical questions and answers, which can get annoying.

It is still pretty funny.
ΩΩΩ is to be cast into the pit known as Tartarus-β, to a depth of no less than twenty stadions. All seismic motions shall be reported to Scholar Zeus, who will hurl no less than three thunderbolts of type Ω down Tartarus-β. If seismic motions continue, Scholar Zeus is instructed to engage ΩΩΩ directly.
ΩΩΩ is human in body but wears a hundred serpent's heads on his shoulders. The being emits both flame and thunder from every head. The being is highly virile and has produced numerous Abominations, including ΚΕΡ, ΥΔΡ, and ΟΡΘ.