PDA

View Full Version : Warmage Build

airenusR
2019-01-25, 12:49 PM
So i am playing a warmage and wanted some help/advice with the build. I am trying to be as versatile as possible (for a warmage) but at the same time use his strength to the most, the
build so far is 4 lvl Warmage, 1 lvl Roque, 1 lvl Unseen seer. The plan is to go 1 more level Unseen seer and pick Hunter's eye as my div spell and all the rest as Sand shaper. I will be happy to hear suggestions about the lvl progression and feats.
Cheers.

Troacctid
2019-01-25, 01:27 PM
If you're taking Practiced Spellcaster, and you should, then you can afford to lose another 2 CL after sandshaper. That means you can safely take as much as 8 levels of unseen seer.

Consider a bloodline feat. Gaining 9 spells known for a single feat is a pretty good rate. Mother Cyst is another good one (or rather, evil one).

Kalkra
2019-01-25, 01:33 PM
You can always use knowstones and the like, if you really want some particular spell.

Troacctid
2019-01-25, 02:23 PM
You can always use knowstones and the like, if you really want some particular spell.
IIRC knowstones only work for spells on your class spell list.

animewatcha
2019-01-25, 04:30 PM
If you can use dragon magazine, then instead of rogue. use trickster variant spellthief ( cast immediately ) and still get the 1d6 sneak. you can also take master spellthief to add caster levels from all your spellcasting classes for spells. So trickster caster level gets added to warmage. Also illumian with the words that add 2 caster level ( up to HD ). spellthief gets 2 caster level due to warmage. Warmage gets 2 Cl due to spellthief and sandshaper. From here, if you take practiced spellcaster and put it on spellthief. You add more caster levels to the end result for when you cast hunter's eye. Also, craven feat for "character level" added to sneak attack damage.

ATHATH
2019-01-26, 12:15 AM
If you can use dragon magazine, then instead of rogue. use trickster variant spellthief ( cast immediately ) and still get the 1d6 sneak. you can also take master spellthief to add caster levels from all your spellcasting classes for spells. So trickster caster level gets added to warmage. Also illumian with the words that add 2 caster level ( up to HD ). spellthief gets 2 caster level due to warmage. Warmage gets 2 Cl due to spellthief and sandshaper. From here, if you take practiced spellcaster and put it on spellthief. You add more caster levels to the end result for when you cast hunter's eye. Also, craven feat for "character level" added to sneak attack damage.
I'm AFB right now, but don't Trickster Spellthieves not get Trapfinding?

airenusR
2019-01-26, 04:58 AM
Wow, extremely good suggestions and ideas, ill run some of them by my DM. Thx a lot for the brain storming. Love the Warmage so far thematically i cant help but wonder though how my life would be easier if i just had built a sorcerer. I mean you have to try a lot to stay usefull.

Anthrowhale
2019-01-26, 10:31 AM
You can add significantly to your versatility by taking Apprentice[Spellcaster] to get Use Magic Device as a class skill then taking Channel Charge. After that buy used wands or staffs of spells you want access to with (ideally) one charge so they are cheap (1/50th price). In essence, every spell becomes available if you can find the appropriate item with the caveat that you must expend a spell slot one level higher than normal. You can use a Quiver of Ehlonna and Quickdraw to have access to the appropriate spell at the appropriate time. With this approach it's important that you do not retard Warmage spell access.

Unseen Seer is a nice class. You can potentially get access to the appropriate skills via Ruathar.

If you have flaws available, you might consider picking up sneak attack through martial stance for the swordsage stance to avoid losing a level of spell advancement.

animewatcha
2019-01-27, 03:36 AM
I'm AFB right now, but don't Trickster Spellthieves not get Trapfinding?

Correct. Will also need to find a way to get class skills requirement as well since many of the required skills get taken away. Ironically, a few levels of sand shaper can help most of them. Just need hide and a feat can take care of that. 5th level of unseen seer can allow pick up of "find traps" which would be 'trapfinding'.