PDA

View Full Version : PDFs to Purchase?

LibraryOgre
2019-01-25, 01:13 PM
This is probably has an obvious answer I am overlooking but...

Where can I buy PDFs of the books?

nickl_2000
2019-01-25, 01:18 PM
I believe that the answer to that is nowhere.

The dndbeyond website/portal is the official place that Wizard puts all their official content in a digital form. However, you still can't get a PDF from there.

Helldin87
2019-01-25, 01:19 PM
The Beyond APP lets you get close to that functionality (the APP interface is different from the browser client you see on a PC) Honestly just do DNDBeyond. It's better than PDF IMO.

LibraryOgre
2019-01-25, 01:25 PM
The Beyond APP lets you get close to that functionality (the APP interface is different from the browser client you see on a PC) Honestly just do DNDBeyond. It's better than PDF IMO.

1) I can't put the D&D Beyond App into a Google Drive folder and read it at work
2) The D&D Beyond App likely will not help me learn the book organization so I can quickly access things while I am offline.

Arcangel4774
2019-01-25, 01:39 PM
Buy the books then scan the pages into pdfs for yourself. Thats about the best you can do if you dont like the app

nickl_2000
2019-01-25, 01:40 PM
1) I can't put the D&D Beyond App into a Google Drive folder and read it at work
2) The D&D Beyond App likely will not help me learn the book organization so I can quickly access things while I am offline.

Then I've got nothing. They don't offer them on https://www.dmsguild.com which is where they offer the PDF versions 1e, 2e, 3e , 3.5e, and 4e. I am not sure about the legality of scanning your own paper copy of the book, consult a legal expert on that one.

Arcangel4774
2019-01-25, 02:05 PM
I am not sure about the legality of scanning your own paper copy of the book, consult a legal expert on that one.

As long as it isnt distributed, even for free, its legal. Basically it comes down to fair use laws. For reference sake look to the case on gettings songs off cds onto mp3 or ipods. As long as there isnt any distribition its legal

MilkmanDanimal
2019-01-25, 02:14 PM

Not exactly a perfect solution, but the D&D Beyond app does have exact copies of the books, so it would help from that organizational standpoint. Also can download the books for offline use in the app. It's a bit of a workaround, but there are a number of Android emulators out there usable on Windows; not sure about compatibility, but, theoretically, install one, install the D&D Beyond app, download your books to the offline storage, and there you are. Probably requires Admin access on a work machine so potentially not possible, but it's a workaround.

LibraryOgre
2019-01-25, 02:52 PM
Not exactly a perfect solution, but the D&D Beyond app does have exact copies of the books, so it would help from that organizational standpoint. Also can download the books for offline use in the app. It's a bit of a workaround, but there are a number of Android emulators out there usable on Windows; not sure about compatibility, but, theoretically, install one, install the D&D Beyond app, download your books to the offline storage, and there you are. Probably requires Admin access on a work machine so potentially not possible, but it's a workaround.

All of which could be solved by them just making PDF copies available for purchase. Grrrrrrr...

Helldin87
2019-01-25, 03:00 PM
I imagine Wizards would like to keep PDFs relatively inaccessible. It's already hard enough to keep people from pirating their content without handing it over in an easy-to-steal format.

I see what you mean about wanting familiarity with the paper. I keep my PHB and DMG open and ready even when I run all our PC character sheets on beyond.

One last note though: If you have the app on a mobile device you actually do download the content and make it available offline. Again not an actual PDF but maybe closer to the functionality you want?

Best of Luck finding real PDFs!

MilkmanDanimal
2019-01-25, 05:58 PM
All of which could be solved by them just making PDF copies available for purchase. Grrrrrrr...

Yes, but that leads to other issues for them, which is a PDF is just a file that can be shared. This is clearly a form of copy protection, and they mitigate any annoyance I might have at that by taking all of the content from the e-books and putting them into searchable and sortable databases, which is PHENOMENALLY useful. I get the simple appeal of a PDF, but, honestly, I think I'd do the same thing. They've found a way to sell the books in electronic format, keep them functionally copy protected, and use that particular method to actually offer some pretty great enhanced functionality. If they just had the books essentially as PDFs, it'd be annoying, but the other stuff is so value-added I'm basically all-in on D&D Beyond this generation. I use my books when prepping campaigns, but, when I'm running games, I don't even take my books along anymore. I just open up multiple tabs on my laptop, and I can do everything I need to.

Jeraa
2019-01-25, 06:25 PM
Yes, but that leads to other issues for them, which is a PDF is just a file that can be shared. This is clearly a form of copy protection, and they mitigate any annoyance I might have at that by taking all of the content from the e-books and putting them into searchable and sortable databases, which is PHENOMENALLY useful. I get the simple appeal of a PDF, but, honestly, I think I'd do the same thing. [b]They've found a way to sell the books in electronic format, keep them functionally copy protected,[b/] and use that particular method to actually offer some pretty great enhanced functionality. If they just had the books essentially as PDFs, it'd be annoying, but the other stuff is so value-added I'm basically all-in on D&D Beyond this generation. I use my books when prepping campaigns, but, when I'm running games, I don't even take my books along anymore. I just open up multiple tabs on my laptop, and I can do everything I need to.

No, they didn't. They just added an extra step for the pirates. PDFs exists of every single 5e publication (though none from a legal source I know of). They just had to be scanned in first before distribution. IT doesn't matter what you do - if the pirates want it, it will happen.

Saying there are no PDFs because it is a security function is stupid. It stops nothing. All it does is remove a source of potential income for WotC.

Sigreid
2019-01-25, 11:32 PM
Seems to me if they are just worried about Digital Rights Management they could release Kindle copies or something like that.

mephnick
2019-01-26, 12:29 AM
WotC is so obtuse with this stuff. Don't feel bad about them losing money for dumb decisions.

It's like adding DRM to video games. All you're doing is screwing customers who want to pay with annoyances. Don't feel guilty for following this to its logical conclusion.

Contrast
2019-01-26, 09:40 AM
I imagine Wizards would like to keep PDFs relatively inaccessible. It's already hard enough to keep people from pirating their content without handing it over in an easy-to-steal format.

This argument would be more compelling if they'd actually managed to achieve making PDFs hard to find. I just gave it a go and I can literally find a PDF version of the PHB in less time than it takes me to click through my bookmarks into DnDBeyond and load it through there. So clearly they're stopped nothing.