PDA

View Full Version : Team or myself

Name2020
2019-01-25, 05:47 PM
My PC just died and I am wondering whether to help my team or make a character that I want. My parties comp right now is a Life Domain Cleric, a Beast Tamer Ranger, a Circle of the Sea(or is it water) Druid, and a College of Lore Bard. My recent character was a EK Fighter, and I didn't like it much. Being the tank of my team was fun but boring at the same time. The limited spells were also quite a nuisance too. I had some ideas for characters like a Wild Magic Sorcerer or a Redemption Paladin but I don't know for sure. Any characters ideas or whether I should be a team player or not would be very helpful.

Palfatreos
2019-01-25, 07:35 PM
Paladin is a half-caster Tank so gameplay wise it will be close to your old character beside ofcourse the different feat the paladin gives. His auras makes him great teamplayer also he get acces to all his spell he just have to pick which one he can use per long rest.

i am not sure if you talking about spell choice or spell slots to limited on you EK because Paladin has barely more amount spell slots and sorcerer barely can learn more spells then EK.

Sorcerer can still work with the party although the party probably have change there tactic into kiting and have some disabling spell to take out some stronger enemies out fight for few rounds.
I won't advise Wild sorcerer though if you roll badly i can really hurt anybody 30 feet around including yourself and your party with this big party gonna be hard for your teammate not be collateral damage on bad wild roll.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-01-25, 07:41 PM
We play D&D to have fun. Don't play a character that you won't enjoy. Once you have a character you will enjoy, you and your party can think about some tactics and synergies.

Mitsu
2019-01-25, 07:44 PM
My PC just died and I am wondering whether to help my team or make a character that I want. My parties comp right now is a Life Domain Cleric, a Beast Tamer Ranger, a Circle of the Sea(or is it water) Druid, and a College of Lore Bard. My recent character was a EK Fighter, and I didn't like it much. Being the tank of my team was fun but boring at the same time. The limited spells were also quite a nuisance too. I had some ideas for characters like a Wild Magic Sorcerer or a Redemption Paladin but I don't know for sure. Any characters ideas or whether I should be a team player or not would be very helpful.

Hm, sounds like you want to tank but at the same time have a lot of spells. For me it sounds like either:

1. Sorcadin (Paladin/Sorcerer). Best tank is 6/14 or more caster (but still tanky) 2/18. Huge amount of spells, melee attacks, smites, buffs, access to plate armor + shield (so 20 AC minimum) + possible haste/shield of faith spell (22 AC) + Shield spell when needed (27 AC).

More Damage Sorcadin: Vengeance or Devotion. More Control/Tank: Conquest or Crown. Most tanky ever: Ancient (but you would have to go 7/13 here which halts your caster progress by quite a lot).

2. Hexadin (Pladin/Hexblade). Same AC potential as Sorcadin above, but way more melee and utility. I recommend 19/1 or 18/2 Paladin/Hexblade. Hexblade dip at 7th level. Oatsh: same as above- depends what you want to do.

3. Moon Druid/Bear Totem Barbarian is always insane tank. And you can still play as good support/CC caster out of wild shape.

Other options:

4. Totem Barbarian is great tank, but no spells for you here. Just saying.

5. Pure Paladin-Tanks: Especially Conquest and Ancients are very good at support and can cast decent buffs and have superior healing to your allies, as well as poison removal, immunity to fear, removing harmful spells from them, cripping enemies (Conquest), giving resistance to spell damage (Ancient). But you won't cast more here than with EK, but still as Conquest you will at least cast Fear and Wraithful Smite a lot.

Both Sorcadin 6/14 and Hexadin are very team oriented (even more if you take Ancient/Conquest for Hexadin) especially with their fast 20 CHA and +5 saves Aura and can tank a lot and dish out great damage, both ranged and melee. And Pure Paladins are always great mix of tank and party support with great damage potential for themselfs. Moon Druid/Bearbarian are almost unkillable.

Sigreid
2019-01-25, 08:09 PM
Please yourself first. That said, I'd suggest you take a peak at the hexblade warlock. You might be able to have it both ways.

Seekergeek
2019-01-25, 09:48 PM
I’ve found a Shepard Druid is an amazing way to tank for a party while feeling like a different sort of meat shield - the summons are stellar disposable hp from a mechanics point of view, the level six feature keeps them more than competitive, and you’re still an amazing support caster and thanks to the spells from xanathars guide a moderate blaster. That would get my vote 9/10 these days.

Edited to correct autocorrect

Mitsu
2019-01-26, 06:00 AM
and thanks to the spells from xanathars guide a moderate blaster.

What spells you have in mind?

Seekergeek
2019-01-26, 12:36 PM
What spells you have in mind?

I’m away from my books right now but ice knife and erupting earth were regular parts of my repertoire.