PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Substitution Levels

Larbek24
2019-01-25, 06:03 PM
I've got two other questions.
1. Let's say I play a sorcerer and take the Dragonblood Sorceror substitution levels (Races of the Dragon). Can I say that I get a wilderness Companion (UA) instead of the Draconic Heritage feat because both would replace the familiar?
(I can combine different alternative class features if they replace different things, right?)

2. I take Dragonblood Sorcerer and on the 7th level I would get a set of 4 spells (1 1st level, 2 2nd level, 1 3rd level) instead of the normal spells (1 of the 1st, the 2nd and the 3rd level).
Let's say I am a Sorceror 6 and a Kobold Paragon 2 (see web enhancement). I already got my 7th level spells. If I take Sorcerer 7 (and cast and know spells like a level 8 Sorcerer) do I
a.) lose the Spells I learn of the 8th level (a 0 and the first 4th level) instead or
b.) lose the spells I already learned and get the spells for 8th level normal or
c.) I can't take the substitution level

Sorry if this questions got answered already and I just was to stupid to find them.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-01-25, 07:35 PM
1) no. You only have one instance of a familiar to trade away. If you take the Draconic sub-level then you can't get the wilderness companion substitution and vice-versa.

2) I would say B is the correct interpretation. "The chosen list of spells known replaces the normal additions to the sorcerer's list of spells known (...) gained at [the level the feature is gained]." That would sting quite a bit so I'd find some other means to advance to effective sorcerer level 8 first and take the sub-level to replace sorcerer 9, else take it before kobold paragon.