PDA

View Full Version : Tides of Chaos Spell Interaction

Catullus64
2019-01-25, 11:54 PM
The Wild Magic Sorcerer's Tides of Chaos feature says that, any time after using it, the DM may automatically cause a Wild Surge to trigger when you cast a spell using a spell slot. If you use the feature to gain advantage on an attack roll or ability check that you make as part of casting a spell, is that spell eligible to immediately trigger the surge?

ImproperJustice
2019-01-26, 12:12 AM
Gonna totally be up to your GM.

Mine triggers surges frequently and often, your mileage may vary.

ad_hoc
2019-01-26, 02:05 AM
The Wild Magic Sorcerer's Tides of Chaos feature says that, any time after using it, the DM may automatically cause a Wild Surge to trigger when you cast a spell using a spell slot. If you use the feature to gain advantage on an attack roll or ability check that you make as part of casting a spell, is that spell eligible to immediately trigger the surge?

Yes that's right.

So if you cast an attack roll spell you get advantage, then a surge, and then you can use your Tides again for another one (or ability check/saving throw as needed)

Quoz
2019-01-26, 03:12 AM
And I believe if the surge results in another spell that you can use tides on (like your save against a fireball centered on yourself) you can chain surges.

Tanarii
2019-01-26, 08:04 PM
I've always read (and posted) yes. But I was thinking about this for the other thread ... what if the surge happens right after you take the Cast a Spell action, but before the spell itself is resolved?

That doesnt seem like a plain english reading, but it popped into my head. Maybe i just played too much 3e and 4e. :)

Another reason this popped into my head is there is (apparently) some distinctions between the cast a spell action and the resolving the spell. Notably, V components in several spells are part of the casting action, but the spell resolution includes a seperate clause for verbal statements as part of the resolution. Suggestion, Command and Message for example.