PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Solo Game Adventure Material?

The Glyphstone
2019-01-26, 01:11 AM
So I might be running a game for a single PC in the upcoming near future. In the interests of reducing my prep time, are there any solid published adventures that could be adapted or cannibalized to work for one character? Including a hireling of some kind is logical - pretty sure the PC will be a Feypact Warlock.

Cespenar
2019-01-26, 02:46 AM
All modules that I've seen in 5e so far uses the term "4 level x characters". If you want to do as little conversion work as possible, I'd suggest starting the character one level higher, and giving them two (one level lower) hirelings, namely one meatshield fighter and one cleric.

Strifer
2019-01-26, 03:14 AM
The last unearthed arcana provides some rules for getting a follower, quite easy to follow and allows for broader char options to the player.

As for single adventures, if you like changing monster stats any adventure is possible (thinking HP/DMG ÷ 4, and look out for spells) OR use a group of NPC to help your PC.

Unoriginal
2019-01-26, 06:05 AM
Dragon Heist could work relatively easily. If the solo PC starts at lvl 4, for example

Orc_Lord
2019-01-26, 08:43 AM
I would actually not use published material. With a single character you have a chance to do something rare.

Create a story and a world just for them. Having played in 1 and 2 player tables I can tell you it can be amazing.

Now if they don't want to role-play as well and instead they just want to kill all the things you can create 3 DMPCs to help out. Now everything is playable.

The Glyphstone
2019-01-26, 03:33 PM
Got any general tips for that sort of game, then? I feel like having everything in the world tailored specifically to the PC's talents and abilities might come across as feeling artificial.

Mad_Saulot
2019-01-26, 04:07 PM
Create 3 npc characters to accompany him, but use a lower attribute set or say they are one level less as to make the player shine in comparison.

Cespenar
2019-01-27, 03:01 AM
Got any general tips for that sort of game, then? I feel like having everything in the world tailored specifically to the PC's talents and abilities might come across as feeling artificial.

You don't have to tailor everything towards them. As a Warlock they probably would have good charisma and diplomatic skills, and since everyone can fight in 5e, that gives at least two options for most problems. Make normal stuff and trust the ingenuity of your player.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-01-28, 11:24 AM
So I might be running a game for a single PC in the upcoming near future. In the interests of reducing my prep time, are there any solid published adventures that could be adapted or cannibalized to work for one character? Including a hireling of some kind is logical - pretty sure the PC will be a Feypact Warlock.

I've written two and a half.

Email me and I will send you the work.

1. Grail Quest. You are a (lvl3) knight of the round table seeking the Holy Grail. Ported from a 1980 module for the Fantasy Trip..
2. Commander. A homebrew fighter archetype solo with four companions serving the empire. Think Dances with Wolves.
3. Commander. A homebrew outlander fighter solo with four companions in their quest to join a nomadic tribe. Think Dances with Wolves.

It doesn't matter if you play a fighter of the archetype or not. It doesn't matter if you follow it all to the ends I drew. It just matters that it's all geared for one player making all of the decisions.