PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Merregon

Fynzmirs
2019-01-26, 11:58 AM
Any ideas on how to optimize a Merregon (Legion Devil). This particular one is a commander of the cohort of Merregons, but is currently bound on the Material Plane.

CR 11 NPC, everything (both official and third-party) allowed as I'm simply looking for options. Propably will give him a 1/day Lesser Planar Binding for plot reasons.

I don't want to just advance him to 11 HD, I'm looking for class/templates ideas. Currently I'm thinking about making him a Blackguard, but it's not set yet. Assume 28 PB with the following adjustments:

+6 Str
+6 Dex
+4 Con
-4 Int

Thanks in advance.

hamishspence
2019-01-26, 12:05 PM
Maybe stuff that makes him a good squad leader? Book of Nine Swords's White Raven school (for Crusaders and for Warblades) would allow him to use maneuvers that cater to boosting his squad.

And these characters automatically add half their non-initiator levels, to their initiator level. Which may include monster hit dice.

Result - 8 levels of Warblade or Crusader (bringing him to 11 HD) - and his initiator level is 9 instead of 8.

ben-zayb
2019-01-26, 12:19 PM
Any build that supports and buffs allies in combat would be perfect, as Merregons scale much better the higher in numbers they go. If possible, I would also suggest a caster/manifester that can buff reflex saves or minimize the effects of AoE/Reflex-half types of attacks, as a good AoE will take out a chunk of that HP pool.

WhamBamSam
2019-01-26, 01:34 PM
Having Mobility as a bonus feat and a move action Teleport makes me think Shadow Pouncer. Merregon 3/Fighter 1/Jaunter 3/Shadowlord 4 could get a Psychic Reformation to Quicken the Benign Transposition SLA (or take a level in an NPC class to get it as your 12th level feat if you like mucking around with CR that way), and make three full attacks per round while still playing up the legion angle.

The Warblade/Crusader suggestion is also a good one. Being able to teleport up to a subordinate and then make a strike is appealing. I think I'd favor Crusader to mess around with tanky Devoted Spirit stuff in addition to White Raven, and I'd consider taking a dip in something to have an even number of non-initiator levels (though probably moreso on a Warblade, since Crusader 8 gets you a stance).

Save replacers and boosters don't work with Legion's Defense, but something to reroll saves certainly would.