PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying What could your character be Banished by?

Chronos
2019-01-26, 12:26 PM
So, our DM recently gave notice that he's going to be enforcing the material component of the Banishment spell, to wit, some item that the target finds particularly offensive. This, naturally, led to discussions of just which items would be usable for which targets (for instance, an undead would find a holy symbol offensive, but for a demon, it'd have to specifically be a Lawful Good holy symbol). And this naturally segued into what would work for our various characters.

For example: The hard-drinking dwarf in our party could be banished using non-alcoholic beer. My gnome, who's racist against humans and the other oversized races, could be banished using a Potion of Enlarging. The rogue, who's always crude and offensive to everyone else, could be banished with a copy of a Miss Manners book.

So what would work to banish your characters?

Perlywhirly
2019-01-26, 12:29 PM
A holy symbol that replaces material components without a listed cost.

Alternately, a printout of Crawford’s tweet killing Shield Master.

Laserlight
2019-01-26, 12:33 PM
An arcane focus, that replaces components.

Or a Sorcerer King post.

Chronos
2019-01-26, 12:34 PM
The DM's decision has been made, and after discussion, it stands. Call it a houserule if that makes you feel better, but for purposes of this discussion, take it as a given that this particular material component can't be replaced by a generic focus.

How did Crawford kill Shield Master?

Erys
2019-01-26, 12:44 PM
The DM's decision has been made, and after discussion, it stands. Call it a houserule if that makes you feel better, but for purposes of this discussion, take it as a given that this particular material component can't be replaced by a generic focus.

He 'fixed' it so that you cannot use Shield Master before the Attack action.

As for components: any devil/demon would probably insulted by good holy symbols (even if not ones of your faith), conversely celestials dislike evil holy symbols, fey wont like cold iron (even though I don't think there are mechanical weaknesses to it), someone from a lawful domain may be offended by dice (so random!), and chaos domains would hate spreadsheets.

Hehe.

Laserlight
2019-01-26, 12:45 PM

Per Crawford, you can only do the shield shove bonus action AFTER you make your attacks, which rather kills the "knock him down so you get advantage" tactic. If you could adjust your place in initiative order, you could knock him down just before your rogue acted, but you can't do that either. It is...not the most logical ruling I've seen.

As for "offensive" I'm allergic to chocolate, so a mug of cocoa would do it.

RogueJK
2019-01-26, 12:46 PM

By ruling that the Bonus Action Shove/Prone can only be used after your attack is made.

Resulting in much wailing and gnashing of teeth from all the folks who relied on knocking an enemy prone and then taking an attack at Advantage on the now-prone enemy.

LudicSavant
2019-01-26, 12:51 PM
By ruling that the Bonus Action Shove/Prone can only be used after your attack is made.

Resulting in much wailing and gnashing of teeth from all the folks who relied on knocking an enemy prone and then taking an attack at Advantage on the now-prone enemy.

The sad thing is that PAM and Crossbow Expert characters can still do shove-attack-attack.

Case 1: Extra Attack + Shield Master (pre-nerf)
1 shove (bonus action) -> 2 attacks (Extra Attack + bonus action)
Case 2: Extra Attack + Polearm Master
1 shove (attack), 2 attacks (Extra Attack + bonus action)
Case 3: Extra Attack + Crossbow Expert
1 shove (attack), 2 attacks (Extra Attack + bonus action)

And of course you totally get the benefit of a shield with PAM, since you can use shield+spear (2018 errata adds spears to PAM choices)

RogueJK
2019-01-26, 01:45 PM
Crossbow Expert

Only if your DM plays along. Otherwise, having a Hand Crossbow in one hand and a Shield in another wouldn't allow this to work, since even with Crossbow Master, Hand Crossbows still require a free hand to load. (They lose the Loading property, but still have the Ammunition property, which states that you need a free hand to load a one-handed weapon with the Ammunition property, like a Sling or a Hand Crossbow.)

So you'd need to convince your DM to allow you to use your shield hand to load the Hand Crossbow.

Besides, the combo of Shield Expert and Crossbow Master would be competing for your Bonus Action.

LudicSavant
2019-01-26, 01:50 PM
Only if your DM plays along. Otherwise, having a Hand Crossbow in one hand and a Shield in another wouldn't allow this to work

I didn't say anything about the crossbow expert using a shield. :smallannoyed:

RogueJK
2019-01-26, 01:54 PM
I see now. I though we were still discussing Shield Expert, and tactics in conjunction with it.

Sariel Vailo
2019-01-26, 01:58 PM
My bard would be banished by a noble party where nothing happens.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-01-26, 02:21 PM
My group is using the Tal'Dorei campaign setting (Critical Role) and my character has the Reformed Cultist background, so he'd be offended by the holy symbol of his former cult.

TheCleverGuy
2019-01-26, 02:35 PM
My Halfling Gloomstalker/Rogue is a native of Barovia, he'd be banished by anything associated with Count Strahd.

holywhippet
2019-01-26, 03:13 PM

If your character has extra attacks they could still knock their enemy prone after the first one then have advantage for the remainder couldn't they?

No brains
2019-01-26, 03:36 PM
What. About. Poop? Otyughs are safe, I think most everyone else is fair game. Does the object have to speak to a particular psychological understanding of the target or can I just take it to rock bottom immediately?

Mad_Saulot
2019-01-26, 04:09 PM
Vegan Bacon would banish me for sure

Erys
2019-01-26, 05:38 PM
If your character has extra attacks they could still knock their enemy prone after the first one then have advantage for the remainder couldn't they?

That is correct.

JackPhoenix
2019-01-26, 06:25 PM
That is correct.

That is incorrect. According to Crawford's tweet, you can only use the bonus action after you complete the attack action.

LudicSavant
2019-01-26, 06:36 PM

Nope. According to Crawford's ruling, if you have 4 attacks you gotta do ALL FOUR before you can shove someone.

But if you have Haste, you can do 1 attack, then shove, then your other attacks.

Really, the ruling makes all kinds of wonky things happen.

Kane0
2019-01-26, 09:30 PM
My noble character’s coat of arms
Hard tack for my sailor
Honey for my halfling
Any open flame for my wizard
A collar for my ranger

Misterwhisper
2019-01-26, 09:38 PM
My current character is a Viashino monk who escaped a slave caravan after an entire life of being in a slave fighting pit.

He could be banished by shackles

ProsecutorGodot
2019-01-26, 09:45 PM
My current character would react poorly to:
-Kobold related items
-The symbol of Asmodeus (or the Cassalanter house crest)
-A Dwarf with a broken ankle (long story)

Sigreid
2019-01-27, 01:46 AM
For my current character? An engagement ring...

Pex
2019-01-27, 02:01 AM
My Paladin - A betrayer.
My Sorcerer - A weapon that shed blood against the party's fighter.
My Barbarian - A shirt.
My Wizard - A destroyed book.
My Monk - Heavy armor.

Avigor
2019-01-27, 04:44 AM
For my most recent character, an awakened mystic named Pit (because the jerkwad who experimented on him to instill his psionic powers has been doing this for a while and had designated him "P17" including a tattoo on his arm; yes the Eleven inspiration is strong with this one) would probably be Banished with a cat.

Chronos
2019-01-27, 08:21 AM
OK, some of these just demand a story. Like, why would a halfling be repulsed by honey? And what's so bad about a bloody sword-- Surely those are pretty common?

Aelyn
2019-01-27, 08:53 AM
Only looking at ones I've played in the last year:

Wild Magic Sorceror: A trusted ally's disappointed look / a poorly-graded test paper (long story) / a snapped angel's feather.

Tabaxi Archer: A healthy, tofu-based meal / a sud-covered bathing sponge / a vial of poison.

Dwarven Storm Cleric: A badly-knotted rope / a magic item that allows the bearer to control the weather / evidence that Talos is genuinely evil.

Pex
2019-01-27, 08:22 PM
OK, some of these just demand a story. Like, why would a halfling be repulsed by honey? And what's so bad about a bloody sword-- Surely those are pretty common?

My sorcerer and the party's fighter are boyfriends.

In game only, not that there's anything wrong with that. :smalltongue:

Kane0
2019-01-28, 02:29 AM
OK, some of these just demand a story. Like, why would a halfling be repulsed by honey?

From the community that my halfling is from, sweetness in food and drink is associated with excess and gluttony. Prior to being an adventurer he was very sheltered and still takes those customs quite seriously.

Randomthom
2019-01-28, 08:37 AM
My Rogue/Ranger would probably be offended by manacles or a three-headed flail (after Yeenoghu's madness caused him to commit murder).

Zaharra
2019-01-29, 11:09 AM
My bard finds swearing to be offensive and has chided party members and NPCs for doing it in her presence

Pex
2019-01-29, 12:50 PM
My bard finds swearing to be offensive and has chided party members and NPCs for doing it in her presence

https://i.postimg.cc/KcnFDvXN/language.jpg

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-29, 05:23 PM
A musical instrument, broken from negligence.
A spell circle on a cloth, smudged into uselessness because someone thought it was a napkin.
Any memoire or autobiography, or any literature someone wrote about themselves.
A burned book.

He was an Arcane Trickster, with Ritual Caster, who was taught how to make musical instruments for a living before teaching himself magic. He hates egotistical people and those who waste things of intellectual value (like books or magic).

Chronos
2019-01-29, 09:48 PM
So, an autobiography written on a palimpset would be right out, then?

Yora
2019-01-30, 03:30 AM
A kender. My character wouldn't even try to resist. "I don't want to live on this plane anymore!"

Vekon
2019-01-30, 05:04 PM
My halfling divination wizard/AT rogue with the Lucky feat could probably be banished by a black cat, spilled salt, a broken mirror, etc.

My particularly brutal GWM fighter could be banished by a symbol pertaining to any evil cult that he is aware of.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-30, 05:06 PM
So, an autobiography written on a palimpset would be right out, then?

He would have a grand time killing you, yes.

AchuakScale
2019-01-30, 05:12 PM
My druid would have been banishable by chains, he'd fly off the handle every time we encountered slaves in Chult.

unusualsuspect
2019-02-01, 09:35 PM
For my bladesinger warforged of elven design and construction, there's a few things that could qualify:

1. An object of Dwarven make that was obviously superior to anything of Elven make that Maela encountered (Auto-failure on the banishment if its a warforged as well)

2. a neglected object of Elven make.

3. A stone from the sea (Maela lived for over 1000 years buried under them after a sea voyage went awry).

4. The DM (likely as represented by IO or Mystra in-game), for being weirdly dickish about this particular component requirement.

Mercurias
2019-02-02, 04:22 AM
For my Wood Elf Light Cleric, something defiled or evidence of power abused.

For my Hill Dwarf Forge Cleric, a weapon or piece of armor abandoned in obvious disrepair.

For my Human Tempest Cleric, a book. Literally any book.

Yes, I like Clerics.