PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sorcerer/Wizard subclasses that benefit from armor?

kenGarff
2019-01-26, 12:38 PM
Most likely, the answer is none from a mechanical perspective.
But in case there are, what are sorcerer / wizard subclasses that benefit from armor proficiency?
I understand bladesinger has light armor proficiency but aside from it of course.
I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share your opinions.

Laserlight
2019-01-26, 12:50 PM
Are you trying to say "who can get it" or "who needs it most"?

A sorcerer can dip Hexblade to get it. A wizard can probably dip Cleric.

kenGarff
2019-01-26, 12:51 PM
Are you trying to say "who can get it" or "who needs it most"?

A sorcerer can dip Hexblade to get it. A wizard can probably dip Cleric.

A sorcerer/wizard who can make use of it well.

RogueJK
2019-01-26, 12:52 PM
Any Sorcerer or Wizard could potentially benefit from armor. Medium/Heavy Armor can grant a higher AC than Mage Armor, depending on your DEX, and even Light Armor frees up the spell slot and a known spell that you'd otherwise be using for Mage Armor.

Generally, it's most useful for builds that can't afford to max DEX because they're having to focus on a couple other stats first, and who therefore benefit more from Medium/Heavy armor. Particularly things like strength-based Gish builds. Those would usually be a Multiclass.

But something like a pure class Mountain Dwarf with a high STR, CON, and casting stat, who thanks to their racial proficiencies can be wearing Medium Armor and wielding a Warhammer or Battleaxe, allowing them to be an adequate melee fighter without any multiclassing. A similar build is also possible with a Hobgoblin, whose racial proficiencies allow them to be wearing Light Armor and using a couple Martial Weapons without multiclassing. (Abjurer Wizard, Draconic Sorcerer, and Giant Sorcerer would work particularly well with a pure class melee Sorcerer/Wizard concept, thanks to their bonus HP to help make up for the d6 hit dice.)

It's not usually worth spending feats on, though. (If that's what you're asking.) Nearly all armor-wearing Sorcerer/Wizards (besides the aforementioned Bladesingers with Light Armor) will be multiclass characters who gain the armor proficiency from their other class, or those who get it from their racial abilities.

kenGarff
2019-01-26, 01:01 PM
I see. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

LudicSavant
2019-01-26, 01:03 PM
All Wizard and Sorcerer subclasses can benefit from armor.

Ways to get armor include...
- Race (Hobgoblin, Githyanki, Mountain Dwarf)
- Feats (Moderately Armored is a good investment for Hobgoblins, bumping them up to the AC of a Dex sword'n'board Fighter for only a half-feat)
- Multiclassing (a 1 level dip is all it takes)
- Bladesinger subclass

Sigreid
2019-01-26, 02:36 PM
Anyone who intends to stroll into a high danger combat zone can benefit from armor. And really, the whole group benefits as the better armored the mage is, the less time and energy the rest of the party has to spend looking after him.

kenGarff
2019-01-26, 03:14 PM
It would probably have to be medium or heavy armor simply because going for light armor would not be mechanically wise. This is due to mage armor. And I'd rather not look into multiclassing but go pure sorcerer or wizard. Hence, I'd largely have to get it from being either a hobgoblin, Githyanki, or a mountain dwarf. It doesn't seem like this is a good idea from a mechanically optimal standpoint. Thanks either way for your contributions.

RogueJK
2019-01-26, 03:46 PM
If your DEX is decent, losing 1 AC from going with studded leather armor (12+DEX) instead of Mage Armor (13+DEX) isn't as big of a deal. (And if you can find some +1 armor, your AC would eventually be equivalent.)

And you'd effectively gain an additional 1st level spell slot per day and another known/prepared spell, plus your studded leather can't be dispelled, works 24 hours a day, and even works in an antimagic area.

kenGarff
2019-01-26, 03:52 PM
If your DEX is decent, losing 1 AC from going with studded leather armor (12+DEX) instead of Mage Armor (13+DEX) isn't as big of a deal. And you'd effectively gain an additional 1st level spell slot per day, and another known/prepared spell.

Thats true. I am somewhat intrigued by a Bladesinger and Hexblade at this point. How are their melee damage output (I'd try to avoid it at all cost as a bladesinger unless I need to hit and run away) at lvl 20 or some high level play? I am thinking about playing either of these two for a home-brew campaign that starts from level 14. Thanks.

Misterwhisper
2019-01-26, 03:59 PM
Thats true. I am somewhat intrigued by a Bladesinger and Hexblade at this point. How are their melee damage output (I'd try to avoid it at all cost as a bladesinger unless I need to hit and run away) at lvl 20 or some high level play? I am thinking about playing either of these two for a home-brew campaign that starts from level 14. Thanks.

If you are starting that high of a level you can afford a one level dip or a feat.

If I remember correct a bladesinger cant use a shield but while doing blade dance they get great bonuses.

All other subclasses of both let you use a shield if you have proficiency.

Just remember, ac is great but you still have a d6 hit die.
If you want to play the arcane guy who gets in melee I would go warlock instead.

If you want to be a primary caster with better defense, deepgnome abjurer with their racial feat, and a 1 level dip in cleric probably arcana.

RogueJK
2019-01-26, 04:01 PM

Melee damage output of a pure class Bladesinger will be less than some of the other dedicated melee builds. The benefit is that you're an adequate melee combatant (when needed) while still also having the same full Wizard spellcasting as any other Wizard. You're just as good at being a Wizard as other Wizards, but you're better at melee than other Wizards.

Plus, Bladesong gives you some nifty defensive and mobility bonuses, like +INT to AC, +INT to Concentration, and +10 movement, all of which are useful even if you never go into melee. If nothing else, it makes you a more survivable caster than most of the other Wizard subclasses.

You don't want to hang out in melee all the time, since you'll still have Wizard hit points. Even with all the defensive spell options Wizards have available, you'll still get hit eventually, and you'll notice those hits more than a tougher melee character. Instead, you're primarily a caster, with the option of going into melee to conserve spells, or switching to melee towards the end of the day when your spells are running out. As a Bladesinger, you'll want to focus on INT, then DEX, then CON, and use Finesse weapons and Light Armor. I'd go High Elf or DMG Eladrin, for +2 DEX +1 INT plus either an extra cantrip or Misty Step 1/day, or Shadar-Kai for +2 DEX +1 CON plus necrotic resistance and Misty Step 1/day with damage resistance.

If you're open to a small multiclass dip, you can further optimize your Bladesinger's melee output by taking the first level as a Fighter, then going straight Bladesinger Wizard. You'll already have at least 13 DEX and 13 INT, to meet the multiclass requirements. Doing so allows you to pick up the Two Weapon Fighting Style, which means you could be getting 3 full attacks per round (Attack + Extra Attack + Off Hand Bonus Attack) with both DEX and INT to damage on each hit. It also gets you proficiency in CON saves, which combined with Bladesong's +INT to Concentration and the Warcaster feat's Advantage, means you'll rarely ever fail a Concentration check.

The 2nd level spell Shadow Blade is also an option for Bladesingers to boost their melee damage a bit. It lets you wield a Light, Finesse magic sword (so it keys of DEX and can be used while Dual Wielding) that does 2d8 psychic damage and gives advantage on attack rolls made in dim light or darkness. And it can be upcast for an additional 1d8 to its damage die for each level above 2nd. It's a decent choice for Bladesingers who are heading into melee (and works especially well for Arcane Trickster Rogues), with the main downside being that it takes up your Concentration.

Because of your d6 hit dice, the Tough feat may be worth looking into if you foresee being in melee routinely, although unless you roll really well on your stats it will be hard to get that while maxing DEX and INT, taking the Warcaster feat, and probably boosting CON too.

The Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade cantrips aren't as useful to a Bladesinger, due to your Extra Attack and potentially TWF bonus attack. But picking one up could still potentially be useful for additional damage in some specific situations, like for Opportunity Attacks in conjunction with the Warcaster feat, or for times when you're readying an action (which doesn't allow for Extra Attacks or TWF bonus attacks, but would allow for BB/GFB).

Keravath
2019-01-26, 04:11 PM
To answer your original question ... all caster classes can benefit from armor proficiencies since it will give them a better armor class unless they have invested heavily in dexterity.

A typical 14 dex caster in medium armor will have an AC at least as good as 16 dex with mage armor and they don't need a spell slot. A high strength mage or a dwarf could wear plate armor for an even better AC. Mages with the war caster feat can cast spells while holding a weapon and shield. Higher AC means harder to hit by either ranged or melee attacks and mages WILL be targeted ... so every wizard/sorcerer benefits from higher AC.

The only reason wizard/sorcerer aren't necessarily considered as good at melee is because they don't have features like extra attack or improved divine strike or other abilities that specifically enhance melee attacks. However, they do have the melee cantrips, booming blade and green flame blade which will add damage to a single melee attack performed as part of the spell. A wizard/sorcerer with the same attack stat will typically have the same chance to hit an a opponent as any other class. The basic formula for to hit modifier is stat+proficiency which has NO dependence on class. So a wizard has with the same attack stat value will have exactly the same chance of hitting as a fighter of the same level .. they just typically have fewer attacks.

As a result, if you can come up with a melee attack strategy you like with a wizard or sorcerer that overcomes the number of attack limitations then they can be as effective at just hitting as any other class.

Finally, bladesingers are cool, they get extra attack at level 6 but the melee attacks are usually considered a back up to their spells ... most bladesingers aren't primarily melee. On the other hand, hexblades (pact of the blade) have several very effective weapons based builds using either ranged weapons with sharpshooter (possibly crossbow expert for the extra hand crossbow bonus action attack) OR GWM and/or PAM ... which can make for quite a formidable melee fighter with 10' reach under the right circumstances. (using either darkness+devils sight or shadows of moil/greater invisibility) to generate advantage on their attacks and make the use of sharpshooter/GWM more efficient. (The Hexblade also only needs a high charisma, dex of 14 (for medium armor) and as high a constitution as you can squeeze in for hit points and con saving throws ... resilient con is often a good idea.

Dualswinger
2019-01-26, 06:39 PM
No idea how he’ll perform but I’m going to play a githyanki war wizard with a focus on frontlining. The +2ac reaction is probably going to bolster my defences quite handily

Jophiel
2019-01-26, 07:14 PM
A sorcerer/wizard who can make use of it well.
I have a Divine Soul Sorcerer with a one level Life Cleric dip. Enjoying the heavy armor/shield from it because I'm usually doing team buffing and hate to drop stuff. Dropping Twinned Haste is especially nasty (two melees losing a turn) but heavy armor+shield+Warcaster+Constitution save proficiency means it hasn't happened yet.