PDA

View Full Version : "Alternative" Life Cleric RP Possibilities

BreaktheStatue
2019-01-26, 07:40 PM
While I've never run one, it seems as though Life Clerics are pretty strong from a mechanical standpoint. However, I've avoided playing one because I've had difficulty imagining RP conceits for one that I would find fun to play.

The only way I can imagine playing one centers on some variation of a Goody Two-Shoes, "All life is always sacred, I love my god, I love life. Period." It might be fun to ham it up for a bit, but I would personally get bored with it very quick. That's not to say I believe this is the way you HAVE to play one, just that I can't think of alternatives.

Does anyone else have any non-standard, yet plausible ideas for Life Cleric RP?

Galithar
2019-01-26, 07:50 PM
Just run a chaotic life cleric. Not all life is sacred. The live's my deity chooses (read I choose, or with an 'involved' DM my DM chooses) are sacred, all others are at best a distraction and at worst an obstacle to be kicked aside.

You wander the lands to [Insert quest objective here] and save the lives of the worthy as you pass. You have the supreme authority over life and death and at your will (assuming you have diamonds and are of appropriate level :P ) the dead will rise to life once more.

Daghoulish
2019-01-26, 08:23 PM
Here's a link to another thread where LudicSavant made some great ideas for life clerics with unusual RP's. There are some amazing idea's in the thread that have me wanting to play a life cleric.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?567353-Unusual-Life-Cleric-Character-Concepts!

BreaktheStatue
2019-01-26, 08:27 PM
Here's a link to another thread where LudicSavant made some great ideas for life clerics with unusual RP's. There are some amazing idea's in the thread that have me wanting to play a life cleric.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?567353-Unusual-Life-Cleric-Character-Concepts!

Just run a chaotic life cleric. Not all life is sacred. The live's my deity chooses (read I choose, or with an 'involved' DM my DM chooses) are sacred, all others are at best a distraction and at worst an obstacle to be kicked aside.

You wander the lands to [Insert quest objective here] and save the lives of the worthy as you pass. You have the supreme authority over life and death and at your will (assuming you have diamonds and are of appropriate level :P ) the dead will rise to life once more.

Awesome, thank you guys.

Spriteless
2019-01-26, 09:21 PM
Wow, those are all so good. But if you were looking for evil... (https://youtu.be/1krO_7-xVlE?list=PLooy4d5zUKuxi4GpXQPHV3qezmnmOhIZE&t=1658)

Naanomi
2019-01-26, 10:05 PM
In my homebrew campaign setting, the Serpent God Dursapa is the God of Hedonism, Debauchery, and Addiction... and has life as a domain (to ‘live life to the fullest’... and quickly recover fron the consequences of doing so)

Yora
2019-01-27, 02:18 AM
I was thinking of a body building fitness fan. Crush your enemies with neverending endurance. No matter how much you and your allies get hit, you just keep them going and shrug it off with divine help.

BreaktheStatue
2019-01-27, 03:10 AM
I was thinking of a body building fitness fan. Crush your enemies with neverending endurance. No matter how much you and your allies get hit, you just keep them going and shrug it off with divine help.

Oh, man. I could make him a big DudeBro Instagram fitness/lifestyle coach. "YOLO, #lifeisanadventure!!" It'd be pretty fun until the DM killed him.

Bohandas
2019-01-27, 12:27 PM
While I've never run one, it seems as though Life Clerics are pretty strong from a mechanical standpoint. However, I've avoided playing one because I've had difficulty imagining RP conceits for one that I would find fun to play.

The only way I can imagine playing one centers on some variation of a Goody Two-Shoes, "All life is always sacred, I love my god, I love life. Period." It might be fun to ham it up for a bit, but I would personally get bored with it very quick. That's not to say I believe this is the way you HAVE to play one, just that I can't think of alternatives.

Does anyone else have any non-standard, yet plausible ideas for Life Cleric RP?

You could run something like a follower of Nurgle from WH40K, all life is sacred but the most sacred life is that of bacteria, funguses, and worms and insects and so forth

EDIT:
Or alternately, perhaps they're obsessed with cancer

EDIT:
Or they're obsessed with reproduction

Innocent_bystan
2019-01-27, 12:44 PM
I've played a drill sergeant type life cleric. "You weakling, you don't deserve to take a nap right now!" <Applies healing with a bitchslap> "Get to work, you lazy excuse for a real adventurer!"

Jophiel
2019-01-27, 01:12 PM
Seems like, instead of going with a hippy-dippy "I love all life" attitude, you could go with a holy combat medic approach. You only care about your side's life but you're specialized in getting them back up and into the fight against the other guys.

SkipSandwich
2019-01-27, 05:34 PM
The only Evil character I ever played was a LE Cleric who was a member of an Adventurer's Insurance Firm. He accompanied the party as part of their Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefits. At the end of each adventure my share of the loot was fluffed as the group's insurance premium.

Bohandas
2019-01-27, 08:40 PM
If any of you have Netflix, check out the anime Fairy Tail's [sic] "Tower of Heaven" story arc

lunatron
2019-01-27, 10:36 PM
I play in a game where there is a Life Cleric who is a member of the Orzhov Syndicate, who are basically a church-banking-mafia. The Cleric has to charge the party for her healing services, and if she doesn't bring home enough gold to the Orzhov Syndicate, their enforcers will beat her up. I think she's Lawful Evil?

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-28, 03:25 PM
The only Evil character I ever played was a LE Cleric who was a member of an Adventurer's Insurance Firm. He accompanied the party as part of their Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefits. At the end of each adventure my share of the loot was fluffed as the group's insurance premium. Love the concept and the RP.

Bohandas
2019-01-29, 01:11 AM
"Let's bring some executed murderers back from the dead"